The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 11:37:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk realm prostitution?/  (Read 3818 times)
Damnd of Hell
Gunner
United States United States

« on: July 30, 2013, 05:27:41 am »

Making progress in my screenplay, but would it be a problem with viewers if I make brothels legal in the steam realm?  Yeah or nay?

Your Hell, is my paradise.
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:38:58 am »

Brothels were (and still are) a fact of life, still legal in many places. Don't see a problem at all.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:15:55 am »

Brothels were (and still are) a fact of life, still legal in many places. Don't see a problem at all.

Agreed. They have aways been frowned upon but I have to agree here.
Mind you, in victorian days, there was not as many rules and regulations on them as nowadays.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Lady Chrystal
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:17:22 am »

It's a very common plot idea, many settings have legal prostitution. The Firefly / Serenity universe, for example.

Go for it - I don't think anyone will bat a steamy eyelid.

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:42:16 am »

I doubt it. As has been said, they were (and are still) a part of life. and legalised prostitution wouldn't be out of place, one of Napoleon's policies was actually to set up a string of govt. managed and run brothels to help control the spread of stuff like VD in the French military.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 02:20:44 pm »

I think Resnick had a book with SP brothels, with partially or completely mechanical soiled doves... so it's been done.
Fat Spider
Snr. Officer

I'm always Casting something

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 03:51:26 pm »

The game Dishonoured  even had a level set in a Brothel Grin

Of course you could take the Robert Heinlein approach, IIRC in one of his novels the Human Race were unique in being the only sentient species to sell sex, so not including a brothel wouldn't be Human.

Don't Worry, Be Happy.
Fat Spider
Snr. Officer

I'm always Casting something

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 03:56:09 pm »

And another thought:

With the recent success of novels like Fifty Shades of Grey which was largely read by women, I doubt that many people are offended by sex in stories.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »

Perhaps you also need some Steampunk 'evangelicals' or a 'Woman's Movement' protesting outside.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 05:02:57 pm »

Firefly / Serenity is a clear example of elevating prostitution to a very high level.

Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 08:10:39 pm »

Thank you all, Rockula, that's a great Idea!!!  It's added.   I'm plotting that the secret service uses it as an information source as well; but there's also double agents amongst the lovelies.

The story is a bit of a weird one; the setting is in a time after the world into anarchical wars, which finally settled into several realms,   Cyber, Steam, diesel.  They trade and interact but found that a peace does exist.  Before the war, it was  common for fathers to sign in unwanted children to charity homes and abandoned them.  Now after all these years, several of the cyber realm tried to reconcile with those who made it in the steam realm; but these parents want no part of them, so they go on a criminal path to exact vengeance on the Steam realm.

The protagonist of the cyber realm who's sent after them is a leader of an elite special operations unit, and one of the kids signed away; and one of the leaders of the Steam realm is his own father.  But he just doesn't want to be bothered, although upset, he wants nothing to do with  him.  But, it is revealed who he is to his parents, sister and little brother; complicating issues, when the father wants to reconcile.

I hope all this makes sense.
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 06:00:10 am »

The Kempei Tai (Japanese wartime spy service) had brothels set up for relieving allied soldiers and sailors of both ready money and state secrets. Nothing so loosens the tongue as a night of illicit passion...or so I've heard...Wink
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 01:55:53 pm »

Legalisation would remove all those carefully nuanced layers of public hypocrisy that were a strong characteristic of the Victorian era.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 11:55:20 pm »

You had better put men in there too, and look to the 'Firefly' model for a hetaera-like Companion with independent choice of clients and a good mind.  You will find yourself in trouble if you go with Heinlein, who had in his writings a man who cloned younger versions of his wife while relegating the older versions to domestic service.  He was a good writer and an appalling male chauvinist.

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 01:16:32 am »

? Now I feel bad, I can't place the novel...Wink However, his characters did love their mothers...:| Probably one of the post-Lazarus Long ones...

We now return control of the thread back to the pilot...we will no longer be going to Cuba...Wink
Arkwright
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 06:55:17 pm »

One of the things that gives the Automata Wars its Victorian feel is the prostitution.

It is never stated whether or not it is legal, but it is certainly tolerated.

It also has its own social levels - the street whores at one end and the courtesans in the clubs and theatres at the other. L.M. Cooke did a lot of research on the subject and I think her blog actually references one of her academic sources.

As for women (and men) protesting against prostitution - that is also an interesting piece of social history. It was often the traditionalists (anti-suffrage and any women in the work place (excluding domestic service naturally)) that also opposed prostitution. It was pressure from this group that make it almost impossible for women to own property in their own write because of the "risk that they would use the property for immoral purposes."

The gender politics of the Victorian and Edwardian periods is fascinating - there were opportunities for huge leaps forward, and yet there were also huge steps backward. It also helps remind us that we have come a long way, even if the journey is far from over.

TTFN

A.

"I devote my life to two worthy goals: unmasking Dorian the Anarchist and ensuring absolute victory over the Fish People!"
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 12:19:13 am »

Ms. Periscope, of course there will be male prostitute's; the bordello is a place of elegance, and somewhat of a very elite night club, with levels of service.   As well as levels of ownership, protecting the steam realms secret service, and located in the realms capitol.
santiagodunbar
Deck Hand

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 06:21:41 pm »

You had better put men in there too, and look to the 'Firefly' model for a hetaera-like Companion with independent choice of clients and a good mind.  You will find yourself in trouble if you go with Heinlein, who had in his writings a man who cloned younger versions of his wife while relegating the older versions to domestic service.  He was a good writer and an appalling male chauvinist.

I am all for including legalized prostitution in steampunk stories, and I agree that there should be an equal amount of male prostitutes as well as female. It just makes sense! Damnd of Hell, glad to hear they will be there too!

May the wind be at your backs,
Santiago Dunbar
Captain, S.S. Beatrix
woutar
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

Well, what do I know?

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 05:10:56 pm »

The game Dishonoured  even had a level set in a Brothel Grin

Of course you could take the Robert Heinlein approach, IIRC in one of his novels the Human Race were unique in being the only sentient species to sell sex, so not including a brothel wouldn't be Human.

Dishounerd indeed has a brothel level for those who likes to watch women in oldtype underwear...

A shower can make barbarians gentlemen.
Might have happend to me......
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 08:06:52 pm »

Let's just not have the men in the old type underwear.
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 01:35:34 am »

but in my project the story is about two realms,  The realm of steam, and the cyber realm where both must work together to solve a great issue threatening both realms.  So, there would be a need of, shall I say, a miss mash of old and new underwear.   Roll Eyes
woutar
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

Well, what do I know?

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 08:14:21 pm »

Sorry, i am not an underwear prof, (how the *bleep* would cyber underwear look like?)
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 01:10:14 am »

I'm researching the most fertile minds of the movement.   Roll Eyes
woutar
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

Well, what do I know?

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 04:00:41 pm »

I like this thread, not very common subject.
Damnd of Hell
Gunner

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 07:13:59 pm »

Well the idea of the screenplay is that after decades of Anarchical war, the world settles into several Realms;  The realm of Steam, the cyber realm, Diesel and shadow.  Before the wars began, it was common for Fathers to sign their children into institutions and charity homes and then abandon them.
Now, as the world settled into a peaceful coexistence, these children are beginning to find out their parentage; with some wanting to reunite.   A brilliant scientist who was abandoned, discovers his father is a powerful member of the Steam Realm government.  But his father refuses  to acknowledge or even receive him; humiliating him.  The Scientist vows revenge on the Steam realm, and devises a way to destroy his remaining family.
The cyber realm sends a top agent to track down the scientist and bring him back before there's damage.  This agent is like the Scientist, but he has no interest, nor desire to meet his parents; who are also members of the ruling government, and one of the richest industrialists of the steam realm.  His parents didn't even tell his sister who was a toddler at the time of signing, nor his baby brother a newly minted second lieutenant in the steam realm cavalry.  And the father does not recognize his son.
So, even though all the realms are at peace and trade exists, there's an active intelligence unit that uses Brothels as intelligence minds; and the prostitutes as intelligence officers. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: