The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 07:48:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FOX Orders 'The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' Pilot  (Read 6708 times)
Time Lord Victorious
Gunner
United States United States

« on: July 10, 2013, 03:49:16 am »

Hope they don't screw this up.   Roll Eyes

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/07/09/fox-orders-the-league-of-extraordinary-genltlemen-pilot/191103/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:32:13 am »

If they get a really good scriptwriter and cast people who have real, as opposed to Dick Van Dyke, English accents as the English characters and really read the graphic novel and the original source material. Well we can hope.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 06:52:26 am »

...and if the opening scene is the open grave of that "Huck Finn" character ...

LoEG not LXG!

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Underling
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:13:10 am »

LoEG not LXG!

-ponder-

League of EXTREME Gentlemen?

I thought the movie was nothing astonishing, I find I don't seem to get what everyone else gets out of graphic novels so I never partook of those. I hope all the best for it and I'll certainly download it after it's aired and give it a look, and hope it doesn't get Firefly'd if it's decent.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:20:00 pm »

LoEG not LXG!

-ponder-

I thought the movie was nothing astonishing, I find I don't seem to get what everyone else gets out of graphic novels so I never partook of those. I hope all the best for it and I'll certainly download it after it's aired and give it a look, and hope it doesn't get Firefly'd if it's decent.

'The League of Extraordinary Gentleman' series of graphic/comics (now spanning 8 volumes) is certainly more 'extreme' than the 12a certificated movie based, quite loosely, on those books.
 In order to do true justice to the source material any film would have to be an 'X', '18', 'R' or 'Unrated' release. This is the reason that the writer, Alan Moore, has distanced himself from the movie.
 Personally I liked it but see it as a separate entity and just a bit of fun.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:54:16 pm »

LoEG not LXG!

-ponder-

'The League of Extraordinary Gentleman' series of graphic/comics (now spanning 8 volumes) is certainly more 'extreme' than the 12a certificated movie based, quite loosely, on those books.
 In order to do true justice to the source material any film would have to be an 'X', '18', 'R' or 'Unrated' release. This is the reason that the writer, Alan Moore, has distanced himself from the movie.
 Personally I liked it but see it as a separate entity and just a bit of fun.

Always a good option I find. Unfortunately the film did blow a fair bit of it's budget on hiring Sean Connerry as Quatermain, but really, you've got to remember, the studios are in this for the money, so they're going to try and make it viewableby as many people as possible, and unfortunately, this does mean they often don't give a fig for the source material, but it was nice seeing the bits slipped in by people who had actually read the comics.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:04:45 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:37:54 pm »

I just saw the article on this and hopped over to see if anyone else had seen it. I have to say I quite liked the film, but I have a neat ability to be able to pretend it's nothing to do with the source material and treat films as completely seperate articles - that way I don't get (too) disappointed.

I'll be watching this with interest.

I'm still waiting for someone to make a proper film adaptation of The War of the Worlds, mind...

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 05:06:07 pm »

I'm still waiting for someone to make a proper film adaptation of The War of the Worlds, mind...

Well there IS a film version of WotW set in the correct time period and faithful to the original book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._G._Wells%27_The_War_of_the_Worlds_(2005_film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425638/

Trouble is..by all accounts it's a steaming pile of dingo's kidneys!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 05:12:21 pm »

Well there IS a film version of WotW set in the correct time period and faithful to the original book

It is. And the 'new' re-edited version is being hawked all over the Steampunk community.
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 05:20:19 pm »

It is. And the 'new' re-edited version is being hawked all over the Steampunk community.

To the point of becoming spammy, I know a few FB groups who have flat out refused the film-maker membership because of his spamvertising.

That being said, I'm now expecting a League of Extraordinary Teenagers ... in order to get the ratings. All bad guys to have mandatory British accents. Smiley
Prof. Jericho Wahl
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 07:21:46 pm »

Here's the thing- over on the comics forums there is a lot of whining that it wont have the twisted sex, violence and dark satire of the original graphic novels.
I am a fan of the concept and feel it can be done properly for a more "family friendly", prime time venue. High adventure! Daring-do! Larger than life characters!
Whats wrong with that?
Also, most of the really dark stuff didn't kick in until the second volume.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 08:02:18 pm »

Here's the thing- over on the comics forums there is a lot of whining that it wont have the twisted sex, violence and dark satire of the original graphic novels.
I am a fan of the concept and feel it can be done properly for a more "family friendly", prime time venue. High adventure! Daring-do! Larger than life characters!
Whats wrong with that?
Also, most of the really dark stuff didn't kick in until the second volume.

Well I'll agree with you there, but really I don't think it can be sufficiently cleaned up for a 'family audience' without ripping out a lot of the key components of the comics, I think it could be done for a prime time audience, but even a straight adaptation of the first volume would be a little too dark for "family viewing" IMHO.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 06:39:47 pm »

That huge explosion I heard must have been Alan Moores spleen exploding.

He singularly hates adaptions of his work.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 07:21:38 pm »

As me and Mr Harow have been discussing this in the public house.  Anyone got any thoughts as to casting?

The only ones we've been able to agree on are Jenna Louise Coleman as Mina Harkness and if they can get him Patrick Stuart as Quartermain.
Prof. Jericho Wahl
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 08:04:13 pm »

See, I don't think they are going to adapt the *story*, per se, but the *concept*, which I'm fine with.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 01:27:23 am »

Of course on the other hand...it might be really good?

It's certainly been a while hasn't it, since anyone has attempted one of (what we might call) the classics. I haven't seen The Green Lantern apparently this director chappie did before, but reports I've heard have been mixed, leaning largely towards unfavourable.

TBH I don't have terribly high hopes of modern TV productions doing any Steampunk ideas that favourably. I suspect it's a subject on which they'll have a tendency to overdo the quirk factor for a start.

Still we'll have to wait and find out if it even sees the light of day. I mean what has become of that supposedly Steampunk Tom Sawyer that was announced last year?

I just hope they don't cast Summer Glau in it. Much as I adore her, her current run of luck may sound the death knell before it even begins.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Prof. Jericho Wahl
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:28 am »

From what I've read, it's a "put" pilot, apparently meaning the pilot is green-lit and has to be aired, or the network is fined.
However, the articles read, there would be no commitment to make it a series...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:46:54 am by Prof. Jericho Wahl » Logged
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 02:28:19 am »

Fox commissioned Da Vinci's Demons (which I really enjoyed), so if they can do something similar with this property.

A series would allow an exploration of the world more thoroughly, imagine a huge Babbage Engine being programmed by Lewis Carroll on behalf of Mycroft Holmes! A repeat of the standard tech mcGuffin of adventure series steamed up.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 09:41:26 am »

Fox commissioned Da Vinci's Demons (which I really enjoyed), so if they can do something similar with this property.

A series would allow an exploration of the world more thoroughly, imagine a huge Babbage Engine being programmed by Lewis Carroll on behalf of Mycroft Holmes! A repeat of the standard tech mcGuffin of adventure series steamed up.

If it can be made in the 'adult' style of 'Da Vinci's Demons', which I think is very good, then it might actually be worth watching.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 05:41:50 pm »

I liked some of the changes they made actually, and I've long wanted to see a second attempt at a movie. It had potential to be something good.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
pakled05
Officer

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 07:47:50 pm »

Jean-Luc Quatermain?...Wink I'd think someone more 'burly' than that. Not that he's not a good actor, I just don't see a good 'fit' there...
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 08:02:28 pm »

Jean-Luc Quatermain?...Wink I'd think someone more 'burly' than that. Not that he's not a good actor, I just don't see a good 'fit' there...

Quatermain, in the books, is decribed as ''small, wiry, and unattractive''.
In the graphic he is old and verging on the decrepit despite being, possibly, an immortal. 
I agree Patrick Stewart might not be right for the part but what actor would you employ to play a 'small, wiry, unattractive pensioner'? Smiley
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 10:00:28 pm »

Wilfred Brambell (Deceased)
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 01:22:17 pm »

I'd suggest Peter O'Toole but I think he's retired.
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 02:37:01 pm »

Quatermain, in the books, is decribed as ''small, wiry, and unattractive''.
In the graphic he is old and verging on the decrepit despite being, possibly, an immortal.  
I agree Patrick Stewart might not be right for the part but what actor would you employ to play a 'small, wiry, unattractive pensioner'? Smiley

The inspiration for Quatermain was, in part, one Captain Frederick Selous, a Noted big game hunter.

Whilst Small and wiry is a reasonable description, unattractive is perhaps a bit unkind.

Lets face it, an unattractive actor is unlikely to get cast in the lead of a television adventure series.

I have been looking at the film history of Allan Quatermain.

The first film adaptation of King Solomon's Mines, made in 1918 followed by Allan Quatermain made the following year based on the book of the same name.
Both films were made by a South African production company. Rider was present at a "trade screening" in May 12, 1919, & wrote later that day in his diary,

"The Alhambra was crowded, & Mr Nesse, who is managing the affair, has just told me over the telephone that it was the most successful trade show that had ever been held in London. He said that during the whole performance only two people went out, which is the great criterion, & they had told him before that they must do so owing to an angagement. Nearly thirty-five years have gone by since this storiy was written by me & it is remarkable that it should still have so great a hold upon the imagination of the world. My belief is that it will live."

Of the second film, which he also saw in 1919, Haggard wrote. "It is not at all bad, but it might be a great deal better."

Apparently only one copy of this film survives, in the South African Archive.

Quatermain was played by Al Lawrence.

The next production of King Solomon's Mines was made in 1937, and financed by Gaumont British Corporation. The film was directed by Robert Stevenson, who  went on to direct many films for Disney, including,  The Island at the Top of the World.
In this version, the role of Quaterman was taken by Cedric Hardwicke

The 1950 version of King Solomon's Mines is regarded by many as the best screen adaptation to date, nominated for Three Oscars, and winning two.
Stewart Granger Played the lead.

King Solomon,s Treasure was a 1976 Canadian British Co-production based very loosely on the novel Allan Quatermain the film featured Dinosaurs, a lost Phoenician city, and Britt Ekland as Queen Nypeptha, but also boasted a fairly impressive British supporting cast.
This time, Quaterman was played by Canadian actor John Colicos who, despite a long and distinguished career in television, is probably still best known for playing the first Klingon to be seen in the original Star Trek Series.

The 1985 film version was a jokey and lightweight attempt to exploit the success of the Indiana Jones films and is probably only memorable as being the first big screen role for Sharon Stone. it was filmed back to back with its forgettable sequel Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold. To Quote one critic, "all camp with the added bonus of being boring."
Richard Chamberlain does however turn out a spirited performance in the face of a painful script.

This Brings us to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003). Apparently Connerys 17million fee for the role made a sufficiently large dent in the casting budget to limit the options for the rest of the cast.

In 2004, Hallmark produced a Two part Television Mini series based on King Solomon's Mines.
I have not seen this production, but the reviews are generally good.
Possibly not the most obvious casting, but in this version, Quatermain is played by Patrick Swayze

Last and without a doubt least, we have another Indiana Jones Cash In, Allan Quatermain and the Temple of Skulls Made by the Asylum for less than US$50,000 as a response to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I was unaware that this film even existed before I started researching this post from what I can find it is poor even by the standards of The Asylum.
This time, Quatermain was played by South African actor Sean Cameron Michael

Finally, In 2011 it was announced that Sam Worthington of Avatar and Clash of the Titans fame, would be producing and starring in a new remake of King Solomon's Mines. This version, made by Dreamworks, is to be updated as a futuristic Sci Fi action film, "set in a future where humanity has abandoned Earth and Quatermain returns for an adventure on a planetary scale."
Mercifully, this has yet to see the light of day.

None of the actors listed above bear more than a passing resemblance to either Haggards description or to the figure in the graphic novel.

It has however been suggested that Richard Chamberlain, now 79, may be a good fit for the role.

It must be taken into account that any actor cast in the role will need to be fit enough for the riggers of working on an action television series. they are more likely to cast an actor in his late 50's than one in his late 70's

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 02:52:11 pm by Mr Addams » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: