The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:08:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shrinking felt (millinery-based help request)  (Read 5801 times)
bassspine
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

inventor of Castrol-R aftershave

« on: June 17, 2013, 07:41:00 pm »

I say! Help!
I'm making a felt stovepipe hat, using a decent quality felt chapeline cone (sourced from a Napoleonic recreation site in France).
I've managed to get the shape quite well, but am having trouble where the cone is too wide for the base of my hat. Is there a way to shrink the felt back to fit?
Here's what I have so far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bwahahaha! They called me mad! MAD! But with my cross-dimensional time-fez I'll show them!!!!! hehehehe!!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:08:41 pm »

If this is a wool-based hood you can manipulate it to some extent.  However, the cylinder (stove pipe) looks as though it is already made to the size of the base.  If the whole thing is now is of too large a diameter I would say there is not much you can do about it.  Fiddle about too much and the wool will fall to pieces.

The best thing would be to put a few layers of wool inside at the open end to make it fit your head.  Or buy another hood by post in England; they used to be less than £10.  And start again.
bassspine
Snr. Officer

inventor of Castrol-R aftershave

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:28:41 pm »

Thanks for your advice, Frances
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 09:36:55 pm »

Wool felt can be shrunk a lot by hot water and agitation.  The trick is to do so evenly so the shape doesn't get distorted. Some Dawn dishwashing soap helps it go faster.  Fill your sink with as hot of water as you can stand, squirt in some soap and soak your piece and then work it in your hands. The more you work it, the more it will shrink. Work on  part more than the others and that part will shrink more.  When your done rinse out the soapy water and let air dry.

This only works if its real wool felt.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: