The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 08:47:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 48   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor Who Thread - with a huge scarf  (Read 55188 times)
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2013, 08:48:35 pm »

Should be interesting.
Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

What Watt ?!

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2013, 09:12:49 pm »

Should be interesting.
I concur !

Based on the runners, he was the best choice IMO.
(and the bookies fav too)

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2013, 09:35:54 pm »

Should be interesting.
I concur !

Based on the runners, he was the best choice IMO.
(and the bookies fav too)

I'm not sure, I suppose I'll have to withhold judgment until I've seen him in action, although personally of all the people suggested I think the most interesting (of those who would be able to do it well) to seen in the role would have been Idris Elba.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2013, 09:49:46 pm »

The bookie's favourite is currently Peter Capaldi, which would confirm my theory that it will be somebody who has already appeared on the show (he was in The Fires of Pompeii and Torchwood - Children of Earth).

Have just found out that Capaldi isn't the first actor playing the Doctor to have already appeared in the show as another character. Colin Baker was Commander Maxil in Arc of Infinity a year before he became the fifth Doctor. I'd always assumed that recycling actors was something that started with RTD.

For what it's worth, I think Capaldi will be a fine choice. I recently rewatched the original tv version of Neverwhere and he was great as the Angel Islington. If you're only familiar with him in The Thick Of It, it's reassuring to see he's comfortable with sci-fi/fantasy roles (he had a wonderful other-worldy quality on-screen which will be ideal for the Doctor and his acting abilities more than made up for the lack of special effects).

Incidentally Neil Gaiman has pointed out on twitter that the actor playing the Angel Islington in the recent radio remake of Neverwhere was Benedict Cumberbatch, who is the lead in Steven Moffat's other show. Coincidence or conspiracy?

Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2013, 10:39:40 pm »

I've not seen much of his work, so I will reserve judgement until I've seen at least 3 - 4 episodes with the Doctor. However I do think this is interesting!  Smiley

Most curious to know what style his Doctor will be..don't know why but I have a feeling he will be a little more stern (like the original series Doctors) - And that is not a bad thing. Only time will tell...  Wink

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2013, 11:23:01 pm »

Most curious to know what style his Doctor will be..don't know why but I have a feeling he will be a little more stern (like the original series Doctors) - And that is not a bad thing. Only time will tell...  Wink

I think the relationship between the Doctor and Clara (assuming she isn't replaced as well) will have to change. The ninth, tenth and eleventh Doctors all flirted with their travelling companions to varying degrees (whereas earlier Doctors tended to be more asexual).

I appreciate there's always been one heck of an age difference between the Doctor and his companion; The Doctor is 900 - 1,200 years old, depending on who you ask, and most of his more recent companions have been in their mid-twenties.

However in real life audiences may feel uncomfortable watching an actor in his mid fifties flirting with an actress young enough to be his daughter. I know I saw a few very rude comments online because of the age gap between Alex Kingston and Matt Smith (unfairly calling her Mrs Robinson, a cradle-snatcher, etc).

But if it forces the writers to create a more fatherly (or even grandfatherly) figure, rather than relying on sexual chemistry, it could be very interesting indeed.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 12:17:44 am »

It's nice to have a Doctor older than the show, however is Capaldi genuinely 12? John Hurt and Tennant 10.5 give room to suggest he is in fact 14, beyond the Doctors 12 regenerations.

It is nice that a new Doctor is treated as only slightly less important than the birth of a Royal heir, but considerably more important than the creation of a new Archbishop of Canterbury. That is constituitionally the correct position with the abolition of the traditional Lord Chancellors role.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 04:24:16 am »

Agreed, a much more 'lived-in' face for someone who is 900+.

Takes us back to the D1-3 era where he was an older wiser chap, not just a whipper-snapper playing in bowties and fezzes

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, 05:37:16 am »

And yet, I cannot help feeling that this will be the last time that the Doctor graces our screens. Given that this will be the fourth/fifth change since the reboot, I just have the feeling that the producers are trying to kill off the character.

Anywho, will still watch, and then I can return to the classic series.....

gumble....grumble......grumble

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
Trae Dorn
Officer
United States United States

Gravatar

[Trae]'s just this guy, y'know?

Traegorn
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 06:47:23 am »

Capaldi is the same age that Hartnell was when we first met The Doctor

TRHOnline.com (my personal site) | UnCONventional (my other comic)
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2013, 09:19:38 am »

And yet, I cannot help feeling that this will be the last time that the Doctor graces our screens. Given that this will be the fourth/fifth change since the reboot, I just have the feeling that the producers are trying to kill off the character.
gumble....grumble......grumble

I disagree. Doctor Who is far too popular both in the UK and overseas to kill off. According to this page on wikipedia it's currently being shown in over 50 countries which means there are more than 50 lucrative markets around the world for merchandising, DVD sales, touring exhibitions, etc.

Unlike some of the BBC's other flagship shows (eg Top Gear), the BBC never has to worry about the main star(s) getting too old or too demanding or getting bored because they can be replaced, reinventing the show and stopping it from getting stale in the process. In this respect it has more in common with Sherlock Holmes or James Bond than a traditional TV drama.

The only reason the BBC would stop making Doctor Who would be if its popularity plummets and it stops being profitable and projecting the right image for the BBC. For example, if they made a massive mistake in choosing a new Doctor (like all the people who said "I'm never going to watch it again" when Tennant left, but multiplied by a hundred).

I know it's been less than 24 hours, but so far almost all the responses I've seen online to Capaldi being announced have been either positive ("He was great in Thick of It/Neverwhere, etc") or neutral ("I'll wait until the new series starts to make up my mind"). I don't think I've seen anybody being negative about it (apart from general sadness that Matt Smith is leaving).
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2013, 09:32:14 am »

I wonder if he'll keep his Scottish accent? Tennant lost his for the role but Eccleston kept his Northern accent...("lots of planets have a 'north' "). He is also a life long fan of the show which I think helps when playing such a character. I hate it when an actor is cast for an iconic role and they say "I've never watched the show/read the books/seen the previous films..etc.". I think some sort of background knowledge of the role is essential in a role like the Doctor.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2013, 10:09:39 am »

He is also a life long fan of the show which I think helps when playing such a character. I hate it when an actor is cast for an iconic role and they say "I've never watched the show/read the books/seen the previous films..etc.". I think some sort of background knowledge of the role is essential in a role like the Doctor.

A letter sent to Radio Times in 1973 shows that Capaldi was a Doctor Who fan when he was 15:

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2013, 11:19:12 pm »

Excessively vituperative and definitely NSFW! (but it is funny)  Cheesy

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:21:02 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2013, 07:45:40 pm »

I'm quite pleased actually, and glad to have an old gentleman back in the role. Hopefully the show will take a somewhat more serious turn now.

But goodness. The showrunners do seem to have a thing for hiring skinny actors don't they? Ecceleston was the last one with any meat on his bones. Smiley

He does have quite the evil smile though.

The Twelfth Doctor is Peter Capaldi - Doctor Who, BBC One
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 02:38:46 am by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
tipmyhat
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

TMH is a publishing and consultancy firm that help

daannoordeloos
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2013, 08:58:41 pm »

I'm very curious how the new Doctor will turn out. Especially considering the dynamic between the last 3 Doctors and their companion. I did get "the thick of it" to Get a feel for Capaldi.

“Steampunk is what happens when goths discover brown.” – Jess Nevins.

Best way to descibe it!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2013, 10:04:33 pm »

The Lair Of The White Worm(1988)

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2013, 11:02:28 pm »

Ahh,yes... The film version of Bram Stoker's 1911 novel - well the very loosely based version anyway... Featuring the "Dampton Worm".  Cheesy  Both ripped off the story of the Lambton Worm, so I find both versions totally funny. (for those who don't know, the Lambton Worm is a legend from North East England in the UK, where I'm from...)

Actually it's not bad for a low budget film, Just a pity it wasn't actually a low budget film... Worth a watch if you like your 'B' movies!  Wink

Peter Capaldi's acting in this makes me worry for the Doctor though... Cheesy

SS
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2013, 06:02:45 am »

I just hope the writers do indeed do right by him. I'm curious as to how he'll play it. Everyone's assuming this will be a slightly more austere Dr. Possibly so, but he can certainly do quirky and eccentric as well. It's interesting, because of the age he is, he would have possibly grown up with the series from the very start.

There were certain episodes back in the early days, that did just seem genuinely more frightening psychologically speaking than anything I've seen from the contemporary series. Obviously I'm mainly remembering from childhood, which may well explain that, but even so. Scenes such as a guy being unpleasantly crushed by a folding chair. Or the rather Quatermass inspired episode with an infected astronaut do stick in my mind.

I'm wondering if Capaldi will take any cues from any of the original Doctors. I'm also wondering, if they'll attempt to compensate what must be a few heartbroken younger fans due to his age, by bringing in a hot young male companion of some description.

If so, as they seem to love Scottish actors so much, this could be a perfect excuse to bring back a strapping young highlander in traditional dress. After all it's been a while since we've had one, and the ladies do love a bit of kilt.

I don't see Peter hanging around too long, I suspect for the same reason Chris Eccleston didn't. A couple of seasons maybe (could be wrong of course). But this does lead onto the question of the next regeneration.

I was curious as to how they'd get around this, and because I'm a bit sketchy with the later series, I'd kind of missed the whole thing of twelve being a rule of the Timelords, as opposed to an actual physical limit. Anyway of course, after reading the reason was because of a worry about increasingly unpredictable regenerations thereafter. I had to laugh because this is of course, the perfect excuse to go perhaps a little more radical next time.

Essentially I think a female Dr, and or a non Caucasian Dr (and apparently the role was offered to a black guy this time around and refused), could indeed be a feasibility in the future, providing of course the series survives.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:14:30 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2013, 06:19:17 am »

Essentially I think a female Dr, or a non Caucasian Dr (and apparently the role was offered to a black guy this time around and refused), could indeed be a feasibility in the future, providing of course the series survives.
I am curious why you believe that a darker actor was approached.

I hope he will be more a suave Pertwee-like Doctor. He can be older looking but still retain that Errol Flynn, devil-may-care attitude. The Third Doctor was also not afraid to use his hands to fight back.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2013, 06:31:46 am »

Neil Gaiman told me, and I took his word for it.  Wink

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/doctor-who/10227458/Doctor-Who-writer-Neil-Gaiman-A-black-actor-turned-down-the-role.html

(between you me and the doorpost, I suspect it was Idris Elba).

Actually I should point out, I read a different article to this, which did not clarify it wasn't the role of the twelfth Dr but a previous one (my money is still on Elba though).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 06:36:51 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2013, 10:27:46 am »

Ahh,yes... The film version of Bram Stoker's 1911 novel - well the very loosely based version anyway... Featuring the "Dampton Worm".  Cheesy  Both ripped off the story of the Lambton Worm, so I find both versions totally funny. (for those who don't know, the Lambton Worm is a legend from North East England in the UK, where I'm from...)

Actually it's not bad for a low budget film, Just a pity it wasn't actually a low budget film... Worth a watch if you like your 'B' movies!  Wink

Peter Capaldi's acting in this makes me worry for the Doctor though... Cheesy

SS

I remember reading a review for LotWW in Time Out (IIRC) that said "Bram Stoker's brain was riddled with syphillis when he wrote Lair of the White Worm. Ken Russell has no such excuse"
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2013, 01:23:09 pm »

Why are they being attacked by a giant Womble ??    Huh

Oi Tobermory - No!   Cheesy

SS
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2013, 01:54:49 pm »

Why are they being attacked by a giant Womble ??    Huh

Oi Tobermory - No!   Cheesy

SS

Clearly Madam Cholet had a thing for men in kilts.

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2013, 03:00:58 pm »

As a child , for reasons that I can no longer recall, I was terrified of the yeti in Doctor Who. One of the few occasions where I actually did watch from 'behind the sofa'. Looking at them now they are indeed  big cuddly and Womble-like. The story where they were lurking in the London Underground and  had guns that  coccooned their victims in a sort of web substance gave me a fear of the Tube that lasted a couple of years. I would have been 8-9 years old at the time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 48   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: