The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 12:53:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor Who Thread - with a huge scarf  (Read 54407 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1175 on: November 10, 2017, 07:14:05 pm »

So, what does everyone think about the new Doctor's outfit? A long way from Missy's Victoriana look; in fact, putting aside all the references to previous Doctors that have been read into it, it looks to me like the new Doctor is a big fan of the 80s. And I wonder if that's a sonic earring...

Yours,
Miranda.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1176 on: November 10, 2017, 09:18:10 pm »

Well, as someone who was quite prepared to accept D13 as a woman, I believe the costume has hits and misses.

The long coat - check- practical and nothing says heroic like running in a trailing coat, it's the modern cape. There's even a meme image for it.
The boots - check - also practical in everything from primordial swamps to hi-tech spaceships dripping with alien goo, and a traditional style that fits for the current-day and historical episodes.
The long divided skirt/pants - partial yes with a caveat - the waist and fullness have a similar trad/timeless Edwardian look that has always been an underpinning Doctor style  BUT the 3/4 length hem doesn't work - practically it means cold ankles, stylistically it breaks the continuity of flow in both male or female fashion (can you ever imagine a man's business suit in 3/4?, it's only done in womens summer fashion as a deliberate way of saying 'I'm wearing light cotton slacks for summer practicality but I want to look holiday casual and free of the work conventions' by showing off my calves) so it's never a look for appearing authoritative which the Doctor always uses to take charge amid the panic, plus historically it doesn't work to be showing so much ankle beyond puberty and without stockings (so presumably no PaternosterGang episodes in this series), and it looks ungainly like an urchin wearing ill-fitted handmedowns.

But then there's the top - NO, seriously now we're deeply in WTF territory - a smooth unadorned tight top with the stripe and braces. It doesn't go with the heavier fabric of the skirt, and doesn't work for historicals.
It looks like the Marketing wankers called Costuming into a meeting with an agenda of:
"How obvious can we make it that the Doctor now has tits?"
Tight unadorned fabric with no obscuring frills or details.
Braces - normally a suitable Doctor choice as they have that Trad/Vicwardian vibe, but now the straps have to get curved around to emphasise the intervening boobage in a crass manner. Well, that's it, meeting done, surely there can't be a more obvious way of saying 'dalek bumps', and then somebody had a real inspiration...
"Hey, just in case they still missed it, how about we get a big bright stripe of colours and draw a big line from nip to nip...?"
[sarcastic font] utterly brilliant idea [/sf]

As the 'smartest WOman in the room' D13 was always going to be a potentially more interesting struggle than it has been for previous regenerations, but this outfit certainly isn't going to help.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:36:32 am by Fairley B. Strange » Logged

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1177 on: November 11, 2017, 04:34:43 pm »

Well, as someone who was quite prepared to accept D13 as a woman, I believe the costume has hits and misses.

The long coat - check- practical and nothing says heroic like running in a trailing coat, it's the modern cape. There's even a meme image for it.
The boots - check - also practical in everything from primordial swamps to hi-tech spaceships dripping with alien goo, and a traditional style that fits for the current-day and historical episodes.
The long divided skirt/pants - partial yes with a caveat - the waist and fullness have a similar trad/timeless Edwardian look that has always been an underpinning Doctor style  BUT the 3/4 length hem doesn't work - practically it means cold ankles, stylistically it breaks the continuity of flow in both male or female fashion (can you ever imagine a man's business suit in 3/4?, it's only done in womens summer fashion as a deliberate way of saying 'I'm wearing light cotton slacks for summer practicality but I want to look holiday casual and free of the work conventions' by showing off my calves) so it's never a look for appearing authoritative which the Doctor always uses to take charge amid the panic, plus historically it doesn't work (so presumably no PaternosterGang episodes in this series), and it looks ungainly like an urchin wearing ill-fitted handmedowns.

But then there's the top - NO, seriously now we're deeply in WTF territory - a smooth unadorned tight top with the stripe and braces. It doesn't go with the heavier fabric of the skirt, and doesn't work for historicals.
It looks like the Marketing wankers called Costuming into a meeting with an agenda of:
"How obvious can we make it that the Doctor now has tits?"
Tight unadorned fabric with no obscuring frills or details.
Braces - normally a suitable Doctor choice as they have that Trad/Vicwardian vibe, but now the straps have to get curved around to emphasise the intervening boobage in a crass manner. Well, that's it, meeting done, surely there can't be a more obvious way of saying 'dalek bumps', and then somebody had a real inspiration...
"Hey, just in case they still missed it, how about we get a big bright stripe of colours and draw a big line from nip to nip...?"
[sarcastic font] utterly brilliant idea [/sf]

As the 'smartest WOman in the room' D13 was always going to be a potentially more interesting struggle than it has been for previous regenerations, but this outfit certainly isn't going to help.

The top's colour and style just plain clash with the rest of the outfit, period. Regardless of boobage topography.

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1178 on: November 12, 2017, 06:53:38 am »

Given that the Doctor has always had anachronistic dress-sense for our timeframe, I think it is fine. That they effectively chose to dress the Doctor like Mork's cousin is a little off-putting. I expect at least one spaceship in an episode to be egg-shaped.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1179 on: November 12, 2017, 11:05:39 am »

Not particularly impressed - she looks like she's a presenter on Play School.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1180 on: November 13, 2017, 11:42:54 am »

Actually I was strongly reminded of 70s styles, for reference see  Gilbert O Sullivan, The Bay City Rollers,  Slade, Sweet, the cast of Godspell etc.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1181 on: November 13, 2017, 11:57:51 am »

New companions confirmed as Rod, Jane and Freddy.

If you're not British or of a certain age you may have to Google that.  Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1182 on: November 13, 2017, 06:42:25 pm »

Actually I was strongly reminded of 70s styles, for reference see  Gilbert O Sullivan, The Bay City Rollers,  Slade, Sweet, the cast of Godspell etc.

But wouldn't it need to have added massive platform boots with every square inch covered with glitter?  Grin

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1183 on: November 13, 2017, 06:44:48 pm »

Maybe Zippy will turn out to be the Big Bad of the series...

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #1184 on: November 14, 2017, 09:14:09 am »

I don't think I've seen the outfit yet...hm

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1185 on: November 17, 2017, 09:00:21 pm »

The BBC Children in need telethon has just transmitted its usual snippet of the Christmas Doctor Who, and I must say it was rather wonderful seeing Capaldi's 12th and Bradley's 1st Doctors riffing off each other (and Gatiss' rather discombobulated military captain). I think I'm missing Capaldi already. Bradley has said he'd like to do more as the 1st Doctor, and I for one hope he gets the opportunity.

Yours,
Miranda.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1186 on: November 17, 2017, 10:21:50 pm »

Bradley has said he'd like to do more as the 1st Doctor, and I for one hope he gets the opportunity.

It's already been confirmed that Bradley will be reprising his role in a series of new audio dramas for Big Finish.

Also ''Jamie Glover, Jemma Powell, and Claudia Grant returning to reprise their own 'Adventure in Space and Time' roles as the Doctor’s first companions: Ian, Barbara, and his granddaughter Susan...''
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1187 on: November 18, 2017, 02:49:43 pm »

It's already been confirmed that Bradley will be reprising his role in a series of new audio dramas for Big Finish.

Also ''Jamie Glover, Jemma Powell, and Claudia Grant returning to reprise their own 'Adventure in Space and Time' roles as the Doctor’s first companions: Ian, Barbara, and his granddaughter Susan...''

That's good to know, but it would be nice to see some TV appearances as well. I'd love to see the Beeb doing some specials featuring Bradley's 1st Doctor.

On another note... Gatiss' character is supposed to be important to the Doctor's story. So should we start a guessing game as to why? Here's my thoughts...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:52:26 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1188 on: November 18, 2017, 09:31:24 pm »

Gatiss' character is supposed to be important to the Doctor's story. So should we start a guessing game as to why? Here's my thoughts...

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:35:55 pm by Fairley B. Strange » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1189 on: November 19, 2017, 07:03:41 pm »

Maybe Zippy will turn out to be the Big Bad of the series...

Yours,
Miranda.

.... and will appear eating pizza,  as part of their contract with Pizza Hut!
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: