The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 03:40:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor Who Thread - with a huge scarf  (Read 54397 times)
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1125 on: April 24, 2016, 05:21:06 pm »

We shall see.
I'm sure we will all have become very accustomed to her by the time we first see her in the show this time next year.

I'm still curious why the BBC appear to be trying to kill it off.

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1126 on: April 24, 2016, 05:58:07 pm »

I remember 80s hair.  She's already ahead for not having bleach streaks or pseudo kitsch hair accessories.

Personality, I'm thinking of quite another companion, as a starting point not a copy.

They've all had their surprises, I'll give it at least three episodes before making up my mind.

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1127 on: April 25, 2016, 01:46:16 pm »

I hope we get a middle aged guy as well, completely unrelated to any previous companion. A sort of Harry Sullivan-like character would be nice. Perhaps a vet, instead of a doctor. Or maybe an artist or architect, to add a creative touch.

Or maybe a graffiti artist will do Smiley Banksy anyone? It will be interesting if you never see his face or hear his voice. If it works for Penn and Teller...

Sorontar
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 02:03:20 pm by Sorontar » Logged

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1128 on: April 25, 2016, 06:17:20 pm »

Perhaps played by the actress who played Mavis on Frasier.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #1129 on: April 26, 2016, 01:35:24 pm »

For anyone that missed it

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/apr/23/pearl-mackie-announced-as-new-doctor-who-companion

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1130 on: April 26, 2016, 02:14:03 pm »

Shame. I was hoping for Emu.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1131 on: May 18, 2016, 07:51:07 pm »

Shame. I was hoping for Emu.

Y'know...Why not? Put Jim Henson's Creature Shop on it to make it believable (and only use CGI-assisted shots for stunts) and make sure it's treated as a "real" actor, and never resort to being cute.
Maudlin Hart
Deck Hand

« Reply #1132 on: May 24, 2016, 08:49:48 pm »

I'm looking forward to Bill. I don't think that little clip was really meant as an in-depth look into her character, but she's cute and has a nice Ace-inspired jacket. Plus maybe she is from the eighties or nineties- that's far enough to count as the past and give her a different perspective than a moderner, while not so far that the writers would feel the need to make tedious jokes about Technology Having Changed (really, if Rose can accept spaceships, I don't think Jamie would have his mind blown by a toaster.)
I really would like to see Twelve with multiple companions, though.

Ragamuffin
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1133 on: June 11, 2016, 02:59:45 am »

Hopefully this image works

Shameless mini-review of my new sonic! Very pretty piece, doesn't look cheaply made at all and has nice weight. (cost me about $40 with shipping) 4 light settings: green, pulsing green, blue, spinning blue (looks very nice!) and each has its own sound effect. The 'metal strut / cage' thing is surprisingly ergonomic and nice to hold, I imagine a lot of design work went into the original to get it just right.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1134 on: August 31, 2016, 01:00:15 pm »

Have you seen the Russian Tardis. There's a bigger one inside it and a bigger one inside that and...
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1135 on: September 05, 2016, 07:35:38 am »

Have you seen the Russian Tardis. There's a bigger one inside it and a bigger one inside that and...

Cough!

(courtesy of http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Time_Monster_(TV_story))
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1136 on: September 05, 2016, 12:14:11 pm »

Cough!

(courtesy of http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Time_Monster_(TV_story))

Mobius Tardis Connection.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1137 on: April 23, 2017, 05:15:28 pm »

My god I had trouble finding this thread.......

Introducing the New Companion... - Doctor Who - BBC

So, 2 episodes into a new series with a new companion,

Any comments?

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1138 on: April 24, 2017, 01:28:28 am »

Last series for both. Capaldi finishes at the end of this series, the companion wasn't renewed for next Dr.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1139 on: April 24, 2017, 12:35:36 pm »

Last series for both. Capaldi finishes at the end of this series, the companion wasn't renewed for next Dr.

Purely rumour from 'unnamed sources'.
It's quite possible Pearl Mackie won't be back but the BBC say they have made no casting decisions on Series 11.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #1140 on: April 24, 2017, 01:45:31 pm »

Capaldi newspaper interview talking about his 'death' scene.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1141 on: April 24, 2017, 02:45:55 pm »

Not sure about the story lines yet, but after my initial doubts, Pearl Mackie is actaually OK, some straight from drama school actions, but this is Dr Who, so forgiven.

So, new doctor, new companion on the horizon then, or will the Beeb axe it?

I hope they don't.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #1142 on: April 26, 2017, 10:28:34 am »

Still lots of running about and poorly recorded dialogue! Why is it that such a high profile show places so little emphasis on making sure all the witty one liners are intelligible? Maybe it's me just getting deaf but it is significant that I only have real problems with one or two shows (Elementary is another) yet everything else I am fine with!

I quite liked the new episodes and the scenery in the second one (Smiley??) was brilliantly done. If rumours are to be believed, then Kris Marshall could be the next Doctor, though I've just seen it could be Pheobe Waller-Bridge! I also see Richard Ayoade's name in the hat - now that would be an interesting choice. Maybe it is down to the new show runner as I understand the Moff is hanging up his long scarf and the keys to the Tardis, to be replaced by Chris Chibnall, the driver behind the wheel of crime drama Broadchurch. Chibnall has already had a long association with both Who and Torchwood, so it's anybody's guess...

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1143 on: April 27, 2017, 11:44:05 am »

1st episode, we never found out more about the "aliens"......it just went straight to dead girls affixation to Pearl (what's her name? Huh)

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1144 on: May 01, 2017, 03:10:37 pm »

Enjoying it so far.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1145 on: June 03, 2017, 09:12:06 pm »

Having just seen the 'next week' at the end of tonight's episode: Victorian soldiers on Mars fighting Ice Warriors - what's not to like ?  Grin

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. I still want Bill's outfit from the London Frost Fair episode...
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #1146 on: June 06, 2017, 10:38:01 pm »

I'm really liking the series so far! I enjoyed the last trio of episodes; I liked the "everything is a simulation" idea and the "love defeats evil" thing (because I'm sappy as maple syrup), and I'm happy that it was a multi-part story! I hope this means they're starting to go back to the serial style of old seasons, because in my opinion some of the new stories are damaged when they're crunched into the time limit.

I love Bill! I really really like her and hope they keep her as a companion with this new Doctor. She reacts how a normal person would react; sometimes people just "nope" out and that's good. But she cares about the Doctor and has fun on adventures and wants to learn!!! so much that she went to classes even though she wouldn't get credit for it. She's smart but not unrealistically genius, emotional but not a sobbing wreck, and sometimes makes bad choices like I do. Also...

P.S. I still want Bill's outfit from the London Frost Fair episode...
I want all of Bill's clothes ever because she's stylish as anything.

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1147 on: June 25, 2017, 10:46:18 am »

Nobody wants to talk about Empress of Mars? They even had steampunk spacesuits.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #1148 on: June 25, 2017, 03:57:12 pm »

Nobody wants to talk about Empress of Mars? They even had steampunk spacesuits.

Those spacesuits were amazing! I want them!

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1149 on: June 25, 2017, 04:44:08 pm »

It was a lovely slice of Steampunk mixed with a good dollop of 'boy's own' adventure story. I think this entire season has been had and shoulders above the other recent ones, and the dynamic between The Doctor, Bill and Nardole has been excellent - shame it will only be around for a couple more episodes. Anyway, after yesterday's episode, for the first time in a few years I am really impatient to see what happens next time.

Yours,
Miranda.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: