The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2017, 11:31:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor Who Thread - with a huge scarf  (Read 55071 times)
TheThirdT
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #1100 on: January 04, 2016, 02:39:48 pm »

well i have to say that season 9 was far better than season 8.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the two part episodes actually let them tell real story's rather than rushing them. I didn't mind the glasses I thought it was kind of indicative of his trying to be someone other than the Doctor.(plus people love wearable tech so it was fun te see the doctor become obsessed with it to.) It probably helped that i bing watched all of it at once rather than every week.
elShoggotho
« Reply #1101 on: January 22, 2016, 11:02:41 pm »

This just in: Moffat is out, Chris Chibnall is the new showrunner. Series 10 airs in 2017.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/everything-you-need-to-know-about-new-doctor-who-showrunner-chris-chibnall
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #1102 on: January 23, 2016, 03:07:39 am »

Beginning of the end.  Call me a cynic, but I think it looks like they're looking to can the show.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1103 on: January 23, 2016, 09:46:01 am »

Can't say any of the Doctor Who episodes Chibnall has written have been favorites of mine.

Can anyone who's seen Broadchurch weigh in?

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #1104 on: January 23, 2016, 09:48:59 am »

Beginning of the end.  Call me a cynic, but I think it looks like they're looking to can the show.

Whereas I see it as a much-needed revitalisation. In exactly the same way that changing the actor who plays the Doctor allows for new developments and insights into his character, so too will changing the showrunner. To me it looks like they're looking to increase viewer numbers again to keep one of their best international earners going for longer.

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #1105 on: January 23, 2016, 10:16:25 am »

I don't really mind losing Moffatt, I'm prepared to give Chibnall a fair go, I don't see this as a sign of DW being dropped (they wouldn't have announced a replacement a year before necessary if it was to be axed), hopefully Capaldi stays on as D12 for continuity and that Chibnall as somebody other than Moffatt gets a say in who replaces Clara as companion(s)... but my only real complaint is...

Why no DW until 1 Xmas special then nothing until 2017?

Is the BBC that short of cash, or too busy with something else? A good way to let your accumulated momentum fade.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #1106 on: January 23, 2016, 12:16:05 pm »

Is the BBC that short of cash, or too busy with something else? A good way to let your accumulated momentum fade.
One claim I have read is that they want to concentrate their resources on the Olympics. Not sure why, since it isn't in the UK, but I guess they may need to spend lots to match their coverage from the London Games.

It will be interesting what changes occur in DW. I wouldn't mind there being stand alone episodes, ie. not having to link them all to an on-going subplot each season. I want to see the characters develop but I don't need cracks in time/impossible girls etc.

I hope they bring back the B&W Guardians!

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #1107 on: January 23, 2016, 12:36:26 pm »

Can anyone who's seen Broadchurch weigh in?

Critically acclaimed, but IMHO badly written.  Stuck with the first series, pretty much because everyone was raving about it.  Gave up on the second as unwatchable

I don't see this as a sign of DW being dropped (they wouldn't have announced a replacement a year before necessary if it was to be axed)

Because the BBC are sneaky when it comes to getting rid of popular shows.  Bad episodes will result in lower viewing figures, which in turn will give them an excuse to move it around in the schedules, which in turn (usually) means even lower viewing figures, which gives them the excuse they need.

Remember how DW was treated the first time round‽
TheThirdT
Deck Hand

« Reply #1108 on: January 23, 2016, 01:28:43 pm »

yes but this is their money maker in america. I do think they are planing on a female doctor though
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1109 on: January 23, 2016, 03:18:55 pm »

My opinions only.

A fresh face who has connections to the show and 'Torchwood' and who is a fan. That's good.
Moffat was stale and is going. That's good.
Chibnall also wrote a couple of episodes of the excellent 'Life On Mars' showing he has the talent for genre shows when he's on form. So that's also good.
Clara's gone and won't be hogging the show anymore. So that's fantastic.
Peter Jackson may direct an episode. Which would be interesting.
If the BBC ever do ditch the show it has enough fans and followers worldwide to make it worthwhile for an Amazon or Netflix type channel to make an offer on taking it over, probably leading to a larger budget. Which is a possibility.

Nobody knows how good or bad it will be under Chibnall until he provides a series and there's still Moffat's last series next year before that. So we'll have to wait 'til 2018 to see.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1110 on: January 24, 2016, 12:13:51 am »

I was hoping Toby Whithouse might be the new showrunner but I'll be watching to see what Chris Chibnall does with it - when we eventually get to 2018....

Yours,
Miranda.
Oneiros
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Lord of Glancairn

« Reply #1111 on: January 24, 2016, 03:40:51 pm »

I think it also depends on who's the controller of the BBC by the time these episodes air.

Several years ago, BBC2 showed wall to wall Star Trek, then I don't remember the name of the lady, but whoever she was took over as controller, she hated Sci-Fi, and so she canned all the Trek and commissioned lots of reality and cookery shows. The legacy we have today. Sad

Another good example was Outcasts. The BBC spent thousands on it filming in South Africa, then let it sit on the shelf for 2 years before they showed it, on a Wednesday 9pm slot. Then about 3 or 4 episodes in they took it off and put on Silk, the court room drama series. They then showed the rest on random days when they could fit it in getting later and later, with the last 2 episodes being shown back to back at 2am.

What really matters is what you do with what you have. - H. G. Wells
Maudlin Hart
Deck Hand

« Reply #1112 on: January 27, 2016, 03:20:08 pm »

^Remember Michael Grade?
I hope Moffat leaving doesn't mean Missy leaving, she's truer to form of the classic Masters than Simm was and I adore her outfits.

Ragamuffin
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1113 on: January 28, 2016, 01:39:14 pm »

^Remember Michael Grade?
I hope Moffat leaving doesn't mean Missy leaving, she's truer to form of the classic Masters than Simm was and I adore her outfits.

I hope Missy stays too.

I hear Capaldi is leaving at the end of season 10. I'm happier (well less upset) with that though, I think a new showrunner ought to start with a clean slate.
Maudlin Hart
Deck Hand

« Reply #1114 on: January 28, 2016, 10:58:40 pm »

^Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Capaldi's great. We've only had him for 3 series. 'Sides in the classic series Doctors stayed over showrunners.
I hope we at least get a companion or two carryover between Doctors.
I want Twelve to get a group of companions (2-3). Then there's more opportunity to expand on relationships and also for diversity.
elShoggotho
« Reply #1115 on: January 29, 2016, 08:53:05 am »

For the record: The only source for the rumour that Capaldi is leaving is the Mirror. You know their penchant for outright lies regarding Doctor Who. Credible sources give no indication of Capaldi leaving.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:33:46 pm by elShoggotho » Logged
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1116 on: January 29, 2016, 11:03:03 am »

For the record: The only source for the rumour that Capaldi is leaving is the Mirror. You know their penchant for outreight lies regarding Doctor Who. Credible sources give no indication of Capaldi leaving.

Ah, shame on me, I never sourced that rumor.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1117 on: January 31, 2016, 10:34:39 pm »

There's a new show out called Legends of Tommorow. It's about a man who is part of a group called Time Masters, who steals a vessel capable of travelling through space and time. This in order to help save the Earth, along with his companions. He is played by none other than Rory, or as some call him, Nina

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #1118 on: January 31, 2016, 11:15:57 pm »

On a different note but of some interest to Who fans.
The BBC series 'The Real Marigold Hotel'.
A bunch of 'older' celebrities live in a hotel in Jaipur, India to find out if retiring there is feasible, tolerable or even desirable.
Includes one Sylvester McCoy.

For those who have access Episode 1 (of 3) is on the BBC iPlayer.
T. C. Halloway
Officer

« Reply #1119 on: February 11, 2016, 07:36:22 pm »

I hope they bring back the B&W Guardians!

Sorontar

Oh, goodness! That would be amazing. They and the Valyard would be great.
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #1120 on: February 19, 2016, 09:30:32 am »

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-18/peter-capaldi-painted-a-thank-you-note-to-doctor-who-comic-book-artist-for-making-my-doctor-who-he-is
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #1121 on: March 01, 2016, 04:50:31 am »

A cosplayer has posted the official BBC knitting instructions for Tom Baker's scarf.

It just made me chuckle that the BBC must have received so many letters about it back in the day that they had to print a form letter to send out to viewers.

I had a rather faded mimeograph of that which I had to find UK postage for a SASE for.

#9 needles are far too big, though. :/  My scarf ended up about 14 inches wide and about 20 feet long.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
elShoggotho
« Reply #1122 on: April 24, 2016, 02:15:15 pm »

Attention, citizens of Earth. The new companion was announced.

Introducing the New Companion... - Doctor Who - BBC
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1123 on: April 24, 2016, 03:27:58 pm »

She seems like an 80s girl. A shame, an alien or a victorian would have been good.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1124 on: April 24, 2016, 03:34:18 pm »

Initial thought......O dear.

Kinda reminds me of a hybrid, chimera, genetic abomination/ cross between Hair Bear and Ace gone wrong.

We shall see.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 03:51:26 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: