The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 09:00:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor Who Thread - with a huge scarf  (Read 53707 times)
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2013, 01:23:11 am »

Ah yes, I believe there was actually a campaign for Richard Ayoade to be the twelfth Dr, that could've work well too, still who knows what the future has in store. (I actually thought it was eye yoda so shows what I know).

I've also just discovered I've been pronouncing Chiwetel Ejiofor wrong.  Cheesy

That's really helpful..thank you, Argus.

I still think it should be EYE-yo-for. Good Nordic name. Sad

ETA: This is said solely out of my (rather irrational) adoration for the phoemes of Slavic languages. I do believe Mr. Ejiofor's name is of Nigerian Ibo origin, I don't get to have my fun in this case.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:34:32 am by MistressMagpie » Logged

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
Oneiros
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Lord of Glancairn

« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2013, 08:17:22 pm »

Just seen the advert on telly.

The 2013 Doctor Who Proms will be in BBC1 Aug 26th at 4pm.

What really matters is what you do with what you have. - H. G. Wells
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2013, 06:56:05 am »

Just seen the advert on telly.

The 2013 Doctor Who Proms will be in BBC1 Aug 26th at 4pm.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking for it online shortly after.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2013, 07:51:43 pm »

Don't know if this is going to be released in the U.K. but..

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11979

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2013, 10:21:24 pm »

Don't know if this is going to be released in the U.K. but..

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11979

I'd be quite happy for them to release it in the UK too, but only if they also release series 1-4 separately (either as a single box-set or as stand-alone series).

Like many people, I've already got the series 1-4 DVD box set and the rest on bluray. I wouldn't mind upgrading the DVDs to bluray, but not if it means also buying the specials and series 5 and 6 again in exactly the same format.

Also (and this is just me being nitpicky) I don't like buying massive multi-series box sets unless they include every episode. I think it would just look untidy on the shelf to have a huge Doctor Who series 1-7 box-set, with series 8, 9, etc next to it. It's the same reason I didn't like the Battlestar Galactica box set (it has all 4 series and Razor, but not 'The Plan' movie which you have to buy separately).

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2013, 07:42:31 pm »

On a side note, did you know Benedict's full name is Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch! Again shows what I know, because honestly if somebody sat me down and said, pick a name that's going to get you ahead in life, I honestly don't think it would be that one.

True, but the days of changing your name (or being persuded to by an agent) because it didn't sound 'right' are long gone (Francis Gumm, Doris Kappelhoff,  Issur Danielovitch, Bernie Schwartz* etc) Nowadays most actors stick with their given names no matter how 'odd' they may sound. And you certainly aren't going to forget a name like Benedict Cumberbatch in a hurry!

* That's Judy Garland, Doris Day, Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis to those under 30

Usually these days if an actor changes their name it's under the orders of their union in order to prevent confusion between actors, it happened with Tennant don't forget (his actual name is David McCloud).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2013, 09:00:57 pm »

Yeah that's how I understood it. You can't use a name if it's been copyrighted by another actor, even if it's your own.

There have been some quite intriguing articles recently about the potential scenarios for the thirteenth regeneration. I did actually think what I'd read about it earlier was now canon, but apparently that was just Neil Gaiman's take on things and in actual fact it's all still up in the air.

http://io9.com/could-peter-capaldi-really-be-the-final-face-of-doctor-1185468579

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Oneiros
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Lord of Glancairn

« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2013, 07:07:28 pm »

Usually these days if an actor changes their name it's under the orders of their union in order to prevent confusion between actors, it happened with Tennant don't forget (his actual name is David McCloud).

Umm... Undecided
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2013, 01:40:42 am »

Umm... Undecided

Cough! McDonald

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2013, 02:02:07 am »

Cough! McDonald had a farm, ee-eye, ee-eye...

....oh.

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2013, 07:36:24 am »

Look what I've found! Note the order of appearance...

Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor BBC One TV Trailer
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2013, 10:18:21 am »

Capaldi says "I am the new Doctor" not that he is the twelfth and John Hurt is in there, so are they going to resolve the regeneration conundrum set up in 'The Deadly Assassin'? If you take the presence of 10.5 (11.5?) into account the Doctor has now regenerated 12 times before Capaldi.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2013, 12:30:45 pm »

Capaldi says "I am the new Doctor" not that he is the twelfth and John Hurt is in there, so are they going to resolve the regeneration conundrum set up in 'The Deadly Assassin'? If you take the presence of 10.5 (11.5?) into account the Doctor has now regenerated 12 times before Capaldi.

Sideways regeneration in an alternate Universe where the Doctor lives with a bearded Mr. Spock?
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2013, 02:15:29 pm »

I would love Matt Smith's Doctor to do a big death scene on the basis he now knows that he has used up all his regenerations, and that he refuses to fight his mortality and become like The Master, and that he is resigned to anwelcomes his final death as part of the natural order, only to regenerate and state "I didn't expect that!" and " STILL not ginger!!!"

There may well be an infinity of Doctors, some of them female, some of them black, but none of them ginger. It's to good a running joke for the Doctor to ever be ginger.
Trae Dorn
Officer

Gravatar

[Trae]'s just this guy, y'know?

Traegorn
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2013, 10:03:23 pm »

Well, we don't know what effect River's regenerative energy had on the Doctor, so maybe he gained a regeneration or two.

TRHOnline.com (my personal site) | UnCONventional (my other comic)
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2013, 10:45:55 pm »

It was all used to save the Doctor, so that isn't a viable option, besides, better even the Doctor doesn't know how he survives and continues to regenerate, and is constantly surprised by his continued survival. Some mysteries are best kept mysteries.
Trae Dorn
Officer

Gravatar

[Trae]'s just this guy, y'know?

Traegorn
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2013, 05:11:16 pm »

It was all used to save the Doctor, so that isn't a viable option
You say that so definitively, but there's no canonical reason to completely rule out the possibility
Professor Hesketh
Officer
England England

Astonishist

« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2013, 07:32:04 pm »

On the Beeb website today the actress Heather Peace (currently in Waterloo Road) has said she wants to be the first female Doctor.  From the picture she's got a good strong face and she's nearly 40 so about in right area.  Could be interesting.  Mind you, she did say she would like a gentleman singist from The One Direction to be her sidekick.  I think that was a joke.  Hopefully...
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2013, 07:49:17 pm »

It was all used to save the Doctor, so that isn't a viable option
You say that so definitively, but there's no canonical reason to completely rule out the possibility

Yes there is I have a cannon and it is pointed at you!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2013, 05:05:17 pm »

The BBC has given a flavour of the celebrations in store for Doctor Who's 50th birthday this November...

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/27238/bbc-reveals-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-schedule
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2013, 06:30:08 pm »

The BBC has given a flavour of the celebrations in store for Doctor Who's 50th birthday this November...

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/27238/bbc-reveals-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-schedule

As posted on the BBC's own news pages...

and then hastily removed...

Hmm...

Oneiros
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Lord of Glancairn

« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2013, 11:25:30 pm »

Time for a random bit of paranoia...

Since the initial Peter Capaldi is the next Doctor announcement, things have gone a little quiet.

Ever get the feeling that the BBC have made it all up, just to stop the speculation.

Show everyone Peter Capaldi, then when the real regeneration happens, it's someone completely different.
Screaming Lord Pea Green
Snr. Officer

Where the only wrong thought...is the right one.

« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2013, 04:05:51 am »

Time for a random bit of paranoia...

Since the initial Peter Capaldi is the next Doctor announcement, things have gone a little quiet.

Ever get the feeling that the BBC have made it all up, just to stop the speculation.

Show everyone Peter Capaldi, then when the real regeneration happens, it's someone completely different.

MY MIND CANNOT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

The Moral High Gound - A great place to position Artillery.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2013, 08:54:16 pm »

I'm a fan of the Doctor Who Hub on facebook (I'm guessing a few of you might be). It's not official exactly, but seems to have support from every major actor on the show, so lets just say their information is probably pretty accurate.

It certainly hasn't been too quiet on there, no indeed rumours currently aboundeth. It sounds to me like the producers are gearing up for something big. This is the 50th anniversary coming up after all, the fans are expectant and they must be very aware of that. Although they certainly are trying to maintain radio silence, a few things are inevitably slipping out here and there.

It sounds for a start like there could be a round up of surviving previous doctors in the works. Whether they will succeed in netting all of them or not who knows (I would have thought so).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Although they are keeping pretty quiet, I would not be surprised to see the likes of Tom Baker, Peter Davidson, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy turn up for example. Others may prove trickier, but despite their current troubles, one should never underestimate the Beeb.

This could all be way off base of course, but these are the rumours and my own suspicions as of present.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2013, 10:30:30 pm »

I think the big reveal is Eccleston, I think we might get to see all the missing regeneration from McGann to Hurt to Eccleston, a good scene from the Dark Doctor to the Damaged Doctor.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: