The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 05:35:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tradewind, Episode 1: "It's In My Blood"  (Read 12677 times)
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer
United States United States

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #350 on: July 22, 2014, 08:17:30 pm »

Sticking close to Madd, Druss let fly with the big colt unsure of how to handle something so much bigger than himself.

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #351 on: August 07, 2014, 03:29:05 am »

The Kraken screamed, a wild, unearthly, frightening sound, like a gigantic evil cat, and let go of the St. Elmo. Those still upon the monster's torso dove for safety, descent arrestors popping open like pretty canvas-beige blossoms in the light of the searchlights from below. A trapdoor opened in the rear of the giant airship's underside, and liquid poured down upon the stricken beast. A flare was fired from a porthole aboard, and the creature erupted in flames, screaming as it struck the tarmac below, the flames billowing out all around it. The ground troops, mustered hastily from their barracks, fired their rifles and gatlings into the monster at point-blank range, and soon what was once  a monster of the air became a huge mass of burnt and torn squidflesh.

Thunder cracked, lightning flashed blindingly multiple times, and the St. Elmo and the rift were gone. Rain then poured down in biblical proportions. Rafe and the crew and Captain fought the rain and the Tradewind itself back to her berth, as did the rest of the crews of the ships that had come to the aid of the now-disappeared Texian air frigate.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #352 on: August 07, 2014, 08:16:50 am »

Madd stood on the deck of the descending airtug, in the rain,
"well, now.. That turned out well."

What do we want? Decapitations!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #353 on: August 23, 2014, 11:01:03 pm »

Rafe piloted the Tradewind back to her berth to await the return of Madd, Druss and Lena. "Sorry for the mess, Capn," he said as he surrendered the wheel and the bridge to it's scheduled duty officers. After a bit, with teh captain's permission he headed out with two crewmen to look for the intrepid young woman. "I hope the girl's not hung up in somebody's garden somewhere," he said with a slight grin. After a while they gave up, Rafe surmising that she perhaps did not want to be found. "Can't really blame 'er, I suppose," he said somewhat sadly. He had begun to like the young woman a bit.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #354 on: August 24, 2014, 10:09:42 am »

Bringing a hot cup of coffee to his lips, Druss took a sip and let out an appreciative sigh. "I was starting to like the little chit as well"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #355 on: August 24, 2014, 03:54:39 pm »

Madd turned off the torch on the airtug and stepped onto the aerodrome. Making his way to the Tradewind, he walked up the corvus to the deck.
He had to make sure the mother Jaguar and the baby were safe and sound.  He passed Rafe as he reboarded.

"I don't see too many Air Krakens in South America. Are they a problem around here?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #356 on: August 26, 2014, 12:49:07 am »

"They haven't been for at least 50 years," Rafe said. That one came through the...uh..." he trailed off. Just where had they been, exactly? "We visited that St. Elmo ship, Miss Lena and I, and we got trapped aboard when she took off a while ago. That granddaddy kraken attacked us wherever itwas we ended up, and then followed us back here. I'll be damned if I know where that storm came from," he finished.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #357 on: August 26, 2014, 04:27:55 am »

"St. Elmo?" Madd raised an eyebrow, "I'm not familiar with the physiology of aeromolluscs.. Could this beast have caused the storm by chance? I know in the Amazon we have several species of aquatic animals capable of delivering a sizeable electric charge."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #358 on: August 26, 2014, 04:56:23 pm »

"I kind of got the impression the storm blew up around the ship," Rafe mused. "we jumped pout and through some kinda hole in the air," he continued," The ship's second officer said we was in some other dimension." he shrugged as if to say 'whatever, I don't know,' and continued, "at the 'point of ingress,' he called it. nexct thing I know, were' covered in kraken ink and there's lightnin', an' broadsides from th' St. Elmo and we're sorta up there stick amongst it. I hadda cut hard left and slip-dive down, damn near inverted my arrestor tryin' ta lose alty-tude. I seen Lena go down over that-a-way close t' th' cathedral, but I'll be damned if I could find 'er in th' dark; didn't even see her canvas, she coulda got hung up, but there was no canopy hangn' t' show where. I dunno if we should search again, or wait fer the girl, or what, she seemed t' be gettin' bored with us, like she wanted to go find fun someplace else. mebbe that's what she's a-doin'. Cain't say I blame 'er after all she got put through wit us."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #359 on: August 27, 2014, 07:09:15 am »

"Another Dimension?" Madd raised an eyebrow, "I'm a biologist, not a temporal technologist. What do you mean?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #360 on: August 27, 2014, 07:38:22 am »

"tem-po-ruhl teck-nolly-jist? What's that?" Rafe was at a loss.  "I duinno what it all means, I'm just repeatin' what I was told," he said. I know enough to know that such things exist, but Granny neve rdid get too far inta that afore she died.Seems there's othe r...places, like, where history happened or is a-happenin' differnt from what they are here, kinda like. That's about all I know, and I ain't sure about that." He shrugged eloquently. "Your guess 's as good 's mine awn that score."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #361 on: August 27, 2014, 04:59:14 pm »

"There's a lot of strange things, even AeroMolluscs like this thing. " Madd turned to a crewman. "Any chance I'd have time to go down, look at the carcass, make some sketches, maybe dissect it a little, gather tissue samples, see if it makes any poisons?"
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #362 on: August 28, 2014, 06:38:26 am »

Druss finished his coffee and set it to the side, " hey doc there any way to tell if that things edible?" His stomach was growling and anything sounded good at that point
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #363 on: August 28, 2014, 08:55:45 am »

"Only one way I know of. Chances are, it wouldn't taste very good." Madd said, looking over the remains, using his khukri to hack into a monstrous tentacle.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #364 on: August 28, 2014, 02:46:57 pm »

Rafe had joined them out of ...curiosity, perhaps? "I once had th' priv'lidge o' sharin'' some African Spotback airkraken with some natives in Kenya, they'd gone up on top o' some mountain or other to fight one and bring it back for their witch doctor to eat for some ritual." he grinned, slightly. "It warn't bad, 'long as you got over it feelin like gutta percha in yer mouth and tastin' like Earl grey and salt pork cooked in muddly puddle water."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #365 on: August 29, 2014, 08:11:39 am »

"I'm not one for Calamari myself, " Madd said, as he scraped some of the animal's flesh into a small glass vial.

" I wonder if there is a lab aboard the Tradewind."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #366 on: September 09, 2014, 12:44:52 am »

"I'm not one for Calamari myself, " Madd said, as he scraped some of the animal's flesh into a small glass vial.

" I wonder if there is a lab aboard the Tradewind."

"There's the stuff Lena left behind, such as it is," Rafe answered. "She took all of her chemicals and tools and such, but I'm sure we can come up with our own makeshift equipment to make up the lack."

There came a commotion from the ground outside teh ship. "Sir," a crewman asked Rafe, "Can you talk to this fellow? he says he's from teh Port Captain's office, and we're to lift off and make way to another place as soon as possible."

Rafe grumbled, "Alright. Druss, Doc, looks like we might have to do whatever else we do, on the fly..."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #367 on: September 09, 2014, 06:53:33 am »

Madd, upon hearing this, quickly hacked some tissue off around the beak and part of a suction cup, and hurried back on board.

"If There are toxins to be used they'll be in the cups or the tissue around the beak, much like Octopi in Australia."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2014, 04:18:09 pm »

An Hour later, Madd found himself in a corner of the boiler room, with Lab equipment laid out on a workbench. He had used a table vise to secure the bunsen burner as insurance against burning the airship down. He was looking at slides of the Air Kraken's suction cup under a microscope..

"Yes... Yes.. It's small. It's rudimentary- Not surprising given that an animal of that size would have no need for it. "
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #369 on: October 15, 2014, 08:53:13 pm »

"Alright then Rafe," Druss grumbled, "lets get to it then. "
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #370 on: October 16, 2014, 09:53:22 am »

As Rafe And Druss talked, Madd was creeping around the deck with an improvised net made from a collander and some cloth.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: