The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 05:55:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tradewind, Episode 1: "It's In My Blood"  (Read 12673 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2014, 08:32:35 am »

Rafe fidgeted. Through the years, he had faced countless annoying individuals and situations, but the kind he absolutely could not stand were probing, self-proclaimed 'researchers,' and being basically a specimen under glass. Within five seconds of the interview's start, he had been applying the old standby tactic of the 'faraway stare' which seemed unfocused, but in reality took in all things with a clarity that made everything stand out in stark detail. Yes, he could do what the silver-haired wannabe seraph in front of him was trying to tempt him to do, but giviing in to that temptation was something that he was not in the habit of doing. The lion was a tool, a weapon, just like the khukri or the blunderbuss or his Paterson revolver The weapons, by the way, were on the table right in front of him, and the guards were inattentive, obviously believing this popinjay of a commodore had his 'visitors' in check and totally under  his spell. Aha, Rafe realized. So they think we're too enthralled to resist, huh? And he wants a display, does he? A bell rang on a console on a lower level of the bridge, and the Commodore turned away, the sentries also facing in that direction. A chance...

A quick movement of large muscles, fueled by stress and outright fear, sent teh gurds sprawling ove rthe railng and to the lower bridge below, their rifles remaining in Rafe's hands, and teh falling to the floor as he discarded them, and grabbed his paterson from teh table, cocked it, and held it to teh Commodore's forehead before the man had completely cleared his holster; Dreyfuss had turned at the sound of teh commotion, and reached for his own sidearm. offhandedly Rafe noticed that it also appeared to be a Paterson. Odd, he thought --

Suddenly, something completely impossible happened; the small space of the bridge landing became full of teh WHOOMF! of brass and steel wings and pinons flashing from seemingly nowhere, knocking Rafe's pistol from his hand, and then there was Dreyfuss' Paterson against Rafe's temple. Rafe took in all in stride and dodged to teh side, plucking the khukri from its scabbard and slashing atthe Commodore's gun hand, knocking the gun away but meeting that side's wing (fo r that was, in fact, what it was, a pair of wings and a splendid hawklike tail, all in brass and steel), whch the commodore swung at hi as if it were a live thing with muscles and sinew but armored with razor-sharp metallic feathers. both teh khukri and the wing pinions rang like steel knives, and teh two danced a knife-dance for a few moments, until the two backd away fro a breather.

"Give over, Light-Captain," Dreyfuss admionished. "I mean you no harm, and you cannot break my guard or disarm me. My weapon's permanently attached, and what are you fighting for, anyway?"

"To get back home, you bastard!"

"So are we,Mr Storm, so are we." Dreyfuss said heavily. "Give us a chance, will you? I promise you, we are working on that right at this moment..." He tensed as Rafe seemed not to relax as the Commodore thought he ought to. "But if ya want, we can go at it again," he said, his teeth on edge, but with a light in his eyes that made it seem like he was enjoying the action.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:48:05 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #326 on: February 03, 2014, 09:09:20 am »

Correcting his order, Druss dropped two bits on the bar and made his way back to sit by the good doctor, quietlt observing his surroundings

(OOC: yup thats him, hes got a device called the Dhopper )

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #327 on: February 03, 2014, 11:09:34 am »

(OOC:
(OOC: yup thats him, hes got a device called the Dhopper )

To the best of my knowledge at the time it was original to the RP; I didn't name it (I did mention that others were also involved in the RP). in any case, It would not be the first time that an item in an RP were coincidentally named with a term already used by someone else; I was not aware that Asprin had used it until you mentioned it.

I really don't understand why you're so fixated on it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 12:49:37 pm by MWBailey » Logged
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner

« Reply #328 on: February 03, 2014, 07:47:29 pm »

Lena used the fight as an opportunity to pick up her journal, the rest she would either get access to later, or she'd be in chains or dead, and it wouldn't matter anyway. But in either case she decided to use the time she had as effectively as possible. She opened and started scribbling down design specs to a mechanism stitched only vaguely together from memories of other, no doubt, more effective devices than what she was scrawling just then. She added in a  few deliberate flaws and unidentifiable pieces and a couple pages of notes. She looked up to find that Dreyfuss had sprouted wings, metal wings, and a tail as well. That certainly answered some of her questions, though a hundred more cropped up in their places. She flipped several pages forwards in her notebook to start her drawings again. This time, of something rather more fantastical than she was used to.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2014, 06:44:26 pm »

(Because DHoppers are frikkin awesome lol and i recently started reading is myth series and am completely obsessed with it.)

Lighting a cigar, Druss sipped at his beer, hiding his distaste for the watery liquid. How he missed Ireland and their beautiful dark porters "so got any plans doc?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #330 on: February 04, 2014, 06:46:31 pm »

Madd fished an emerald out of his pocket and passed it to a guitarist, whose eyes went wide and he began strumming a Rodrigo Guitar piece.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #331 on: February 04, 2014, 06:47:30 pm »

"Well, after some dinner, I'd hoped to see what manner of apothecaries they have here. It's not my jungle, but I should be able to whip up something toxic."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #332 on: February 04, 2014, 06:53:01 pm »

"Sounds like fun" druss used his knife to trim the tip of his cigar, "im hoping to find some quality steel here"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #333 on: February 05, 2014, 09:08:48 am »

"I'm sure there'll be a Swordsmith in the Marketplace near the apothecary, and who knows-" Madd smiled, " Maybe some sightseeing as well, this is a far cry from Tennessee, and a lot different than back home in the Amazon."

The Waiter Arrived and Madd sat back drinking from his juice as the Tapas was delivered.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #334 on: February 05, 2014, 12:36:58 pm »

"Where'd th' wings come from?" Rafe said, circling around to the left, keeping the table betweem himself an the commodore fro teh moment.

"Believe it or not, they're a result of both accident and destiny," Dreyfuss answered, a cagey ton ein his voice as he feinted to the right, then matched Rafe's circling anfte rdeflecting the Mercenary's khukri with a his right wing pinions amid a shower of sparks and a fall of three brass spacing feathers, along with what looked like steel downfeathers. Dreyfuss was not bleeding,l but he gave a little ground and seemed to eye Storm with a bit more respect. Rafe stepped out from behind the table, then, and made a come-hither gesture with his left hand , glancing at his shadow on teh bulkhead and suddenly noticing what looke like Lena's shadow behind it.He risked a glance back, saw her busily sketching away, totally absorbed and in her own little world right behind him, close enough that he could have reached out and grabbed her sketchbook. He dodged back the way he'd come, surprising Dreyfuiss and using the surprise on teh spur of teh moment to jab upward at the winged man's brow. Drey fuss barked an oath, and it was as if teh wings acted of their own accord and flapped, hard, raising a wind that blasted rafe back and carried teh commodore up and back over the table again.

"AhaA-a, kinda knife-shy, are ya?" Rafe said, suddenly leaping forward and jumping onto the table, rushing and lunging at the same time.

At that point, a whole squad of Air Rangers in full kit and bayonets fixed, burst in the hatchway and encircled the table, grinning and jabbing at Rafe's legs. Storm responded by swiping the big-bladed khukri down and snapping off two bayonet-points and severely notching and bending another.

Dreyfuss saw one of the rangers snatching his finger back on the trigger of his rifle, panicking and pointing upwards at Rafe, and shouted "Hold your fire!" an instant too late.

The rifle discharged, and the bullet went wild, and everyone ducked as the bullet went SPANGing off of the hardened iron bulkheads of the Bridge and Steering complex. finally striking Rafe in the back of the head. Everything went black for him, and he toppled from the table into the arms of one of the Rangers, a tow-headed young woman, it was revealed, when her shako was knocked off and her braids came tumbling out as Rafe fell into her arms.

Dreyfuss cursed and rushed to the man's side. He examined the man's head adn remarked, "Damned lucky bastard. The ball only bruised 'im! He might have a concussion, but that's about it, I'd say, Better call the doc anyway and send for a stretcher. Helm!"

"AYE!"

"See to it."

Dreyfuss turned to Lena, his old drawl back in full force, saying, "P'r'aps you could continue yer sketchin' later, Miss Volkova? You really oughta git looked at too, y' know. First jump causes startlement and the kinda injuries that brings on, plus I 'magine our rangers were none too gentle wi' y'all." He sighed, and added, "Sorry about that ruckus. I ain't had a good barney like that in a good lawng time, and I sorta got carried away."

there was a hissing sound like both a broken and leaking steam valve, and silk being ripped apart, and a white-and-emerald-green snake, larger and longer than any normal terrestrial species, came gliding across the floorboards and into the room. The serpent reared up before Dreyfuss and eyed him with what looked for all the world like a solicitous and concerned stare. She (for it was in fact a female) hissed shortly and then longly several times, and Dreyfuss answered as if she had used English speech, "Yes, darlin' I'm fine. Th' poor fella went berserk 'cause he thought he'd never get back home, and was tryin' t' fight his way free, I reckon. Damn good fighter he is, too. Woulda give th' rangers a hard time if Doddsforth hadn't accidentally shot 'im, too.

Oh, where's m' manners? Miss Lena, this here's Cleo- er, Cleopatra, we just call 'er 'Cleo' fer short, she's the ships mascot and guardian and a whole slew of o' other things. I sorta hesitate to call 'er a pet, 'cause she's more like a member of my immediate family. She's whatcha call 'hyper-intelly-jint," Or that's what one  o' Patricks people said a while back.

"Cleo, this here's Miss Lena Volkova (Did I git that right, Miss?). She's a guest and a scientific type, so don't bite 'er if'n you find 'er lookin' around."

Dreyfuss turned back to Lena and said in a more serious tone, "Cleo's bite is almost instant-taney -ously deadly. I en't sure what kinda snake she is, exactly, save 'at she's some kinda royalty in them circles; it's not like she's a cobra, but more like th' cobras and ever'thing else descended from her ancestors. Or at least I think that's how it goes. Short version: don't rile her, she kin kill you before you kin blink." He smiled reassuringly, or tried to.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:07:50 pm by MWBailey » Logged
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner

« Reply #335 on: February 05, 2014, 06:30:06 pm »

Lena was not so dense to have not heard the bullet ricochet through the room, but she would have liked to ignore it. The ship was a treasure trove and she didn't know how long she would have there. "Of course, Commodore," she answered and set down her book. When the snake entered the room, she tried to catalog every scale in her memory without reaching for her journal. She curtsied at her introduction. "It is incredible to meet you Cleopatra." She waved away Dreyfuss's warning about Cleo. "I should hope I do nothing of the kind. But before you direct me to your medical facilities, I should like to ask you something. If you do intend to let us leave, which as I understood from your conversation with Mr. Storm there, you do, when precisely will that be?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2014, 12:33:16 pm »

Dreyfuss answered readily if somewhat apologetically. "As soon as we can backtrack to the Point of Emergence," he said. "The longer we delay, the more difficult it will be to trace the route through. I see you interest is piqued, Miss, but believe me, after about six months the St. Elmo's just another flyin' tub -- I built 'er, and I'm sayin that," He added with a wry smile.Cleo slithered on ahead and disappeared; a real feat for such a large snake.
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner

« Reply #337 on: February 07, 2014, 06:47:05 am »

Lena smiled. She didn't want to stay on the St. Elmo. It was interesting. And she was sure it would be, for a good while at least. But there was no leaving when she had enough. She'd be in some other world, and there wouldn't be another ship to take her back. "As long as you say you'll let us loose back where you picked us up, involuntarily of course." She gave another sharp smile. "So, Commodore. Your medical facilities?" She indicated that he show her the way.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #338 on: February 14, 2014, 01:22:02 am »

Alarms began to sound abpoard the ship as the group headed for the infirmary. Dreyfuss pardoned himself and stepped to a nearby squawkbox, and inquired as to the situation.

"Commodore, sir, we've sighted what look like Kraken, at about six thousand yards and closing, they seem to be the armored internal-bladder type."

Dreyfuss swore, and gave the order for General Quarters again, then Battle Stations as the ship lurched and the sound of barbed suckers scraped on the St. Elmo's skin.

"Miss Lena, if you and Mr. Storm will please remain here in the infirmary," he pointed to the infirmary entrance as the thunder of the ship's guns sounded and huge, hissing animalistic screams echoed inward from an open hatchway. Black ink dripped from the hatchway's lintel as the ship swayed in midair, and students and crew pounding toward their stations yelled in surprise; it took a lot to stagger the Elmo.
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner

« Reply #339 on: February 15, 2014, 01:30:54 am »

Lena nodded. She wasn't too anxious to get into battle, no matter how curious she was as to what a Kraken looked like. She pulled out her notebook, occasionally glancing at Rafe's still unconscious body. There wasn't much to look at in the infirmary, and her notes started to dwindle. She pulled a chair up to Rafe's bed and started sketching him. She already had a couple rough drawings a few dozen pages back, as she did of all the crew, but nothing too detailed. He needed a haircut a couple days back, and there were bags under his eyes from either stress or lack of sleep or both. She half wondered if he was still blacked out or just appreciated the fact that nobody was bothering him for once.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #340 on: May 29, 2014, 06:57:59 am »

Madd popped a shrimp into his mouth and sat back in his chair.

"So, what brought you this far from home?" He asked Druss, unaware of the mayhem, his hand petting Hannibal, his own Ball Python.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #341 on: May 29, 2014, 05:08:51 pm »

"Careful, a photographer in Mombasa tried to take my picture, and the flash stampeded Her majesty's Third Elephant Cavalry," Rafe said in a calm, though rather piqued voice. "What're they doin', killin' hawgs on th' obs deck?" A splash of ink obscured both the view and the light from a nearby pair of portholes; luckily they had been left sealed but with the inner covers open to admit light through the glass.
Stormcat
Officer

Sir Whiskers, Lord High Mouser and Royal lapwarmer

« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2014, 08:35:38 pm »

A tabby cat wearing a tiny bowler hat chased a rat up into the ASTradewind from it's docking bay. The cat managed to catch and consume the rat, when it realized humans were watching. "I take it you lot have never seen a cat who wears clothes?" the stares intensified "Or one that talks for that matter? Anyway, I humbly ask permission to act as the mouser on this fine vessel, seeing as how I am currently without a home ever since Dr. Von Killingyou's lab burned to the ground."
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 08:42:31 pm by Stormcat » Logged

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #343 on: June 10, 2014, 11:40:36 pm »

Rafe was answered not by Lena, who was surprisingly reticent, but by a young orderly in a cadet's uniform but wearing an air ranger's beret. Rafe had seen many examples of such aboard the Elmo; apparently many cadets had earned the right to wear partial service uniforms. Perhaps everyone was a crewman at least in spirit, and there might even be a standard that there were no noncombatants aboard. All of theis specuilation was dashed by the cadet's message.

"Sir, madame, you are required in Officer's country immediately. I am to show you the way, if yiou are prepared and able to do so." The boyish orderly said.

They followed the boy down the corridor a the ship pitched and rolled around them; screams that sounded like neither animal nor human echoed from outside, half bellow of a bull, half yowl of a cat, and all towering, deafening menace and frustration. Black fluid and what looked like odd-colored blood spolashed ove rthe portholes at odd intervals. It seemed as though the monster outside should be getting the worst of things, but still the noise and the ship's violent lurchuinbg continued.

They were led to a spiral staircase at the sternward end of the Accommodation deck; through the open hatch covers (the outermost of the hatches topside were closed and latched, thanl the heavens), they could see down through the gun deck and into Engineering, like a mahogahy-and-ivory frame surrounding a gargantuan sculpture of polished brass, steel, and wood, the walking beams that transferred power from the aether engines to the ship's ducted fans pumping mnadly awayeven as teh ship seemed to roll nearly over onto the obs deck, then swung back again.  ngineeringmen and gunners alike were cast aboyut like rag dolls or hung on for dear life as teh lurching St. Elmo went through its throes. Within the spiral staircaee at last, they could still feel the ship's movements, but the closeness of teh walls and the narrowness of teh staircase made it possible to hang ion to the bannister and not be tossed about quite so much.

They finally came out on a corridor which gave out into another that ran abeam at the ship's stern, and off of which , through the doors of teh canin in the center, sould be seem the inside fo teh stern galleries that Lena and Rafe had seen when sneaking into the hangar.Teh shy outside was cloudy anbd bluem but seemed determine to nearly corkscrew around the ship. From a bulkhead door to Starboard emerged an Officer, the shoulder boards of hius unbiformn frock coat adn his sleeves proclaiming him to be a Commander in rank. "I'm Commander Mer-!...Mergin," he imntroduced himself.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:07:24 am by MWBailey » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #344 on: June 17, 2014, 07:25:24 am »

The St. Elmo shuddered and bucked as Commander Mergin spoke, leading them to a door marked J.S.DREYFUSS, M & C.O. A well-appointed cabin, its opulence marred slightly by a single retractable repeating gun casemate at the nearer end, lay beyond the door. The commander handed a suit each to Rafe and Lena. the suits appeared very similar to deep diver suits, save that they were fitted with what looked like miniature Aetheradios on the waistbelts and their boots were not weighted as dive suits would have been. Metallic airbottles depended from a harness in front;  a similar harness, unencumbered yet by any load of any kind, was locate don the backs of the outfits. Rafe and the Commander held Lena's up por her while she donned it over her clothes, then the Commander helped Rafe similarly with his suit, explaining as they completed their suiting-up by his direction that they were to be let out of the ship just as they took their Master back aboard and phased into the between space that separated the dimension in which they were currently located and the one they (Rafe and Lena) had come from. "Take a cutlass and revolver each," he admonished the pair. "Sorry, but we can't let you have a ray weapon; they're experimental, anyway, and don't always work right in other worlds or realms."

"Who're we gonna be fighting?" Rafe demanded.

"Hopefully nothing and nobody, but it's better to be safe," the Commander answered levelly. "Ready? Good. " He moved to the squawkbox beside the door, took up the conical transceiver , and rag for the bridge. "Yeah, Mergin here, Captain. Tell the retrieval team to go get the Old Man, and We'll send the passengers out from here."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #345 on: June 19, 2014, 01:55:07 pm »

Madd finally heard the commotion. He threw the waiter a few emeralds, grabbed a handful of shrimp and looked at Druss.

"Sounds like they need us back at the Tradewind."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #346 on: June 20, 2014, 01:18:52 am »

Mergin snapped his finger then, and handed Rafe his original weapons, which had just been delivered by a scrap of a girl in am orderly's uniform. "Can't letya forget these,"  he said, winking. "this way, please," he said, and at his gesture, two air rangers shoved open the Embarkation/Debarkation (EmDee) door, and the wind, drifts of cordite, strings of ink and droplets of odd-colored blood blew in like a filthy hurricane. Wait for it," he admonished with a shout. "Th/ light over th/ door'll turn green when it's time to go."

may we meet again, under better circumstances, sir, madame, Mergin said as the light changed to a baleful, carious green. Their hesitatation was noted, and at Mergin's nod, the two rangers suddenly rushed up behind and shoved the pair out of the door. Rafe whooped like a kid riding a grapevine as they plunged into space,  theuir descent arrestors unfolding and catching the wind of their passge, snatching them from death's jaws at three thousand feet above the toledo Aerodrome, wildly carreering down among the hnking, bellowing air traffic around them. rafe had teh control of his xcontraption down rapidly, and shouted encouragement and hopefully helpful advice ove rto Lena as they glided a bit rapidly toward teh ground.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #347 on: June 22, 2014, 04:45:41 pm »

Madd arrived to see the Kraken wreaking havoc.

I wonder how a little Curare acupuncture will affect this abomnation.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #348 on: July 19, 2014, 06:52:19 am »

Rafe risked a glance skyward and barked an obscenity; the "portal," he thought the officer had called it; it had ripped wide open a gaping, lightning- wreathed wound in the evening sky above Toledo's aerodrome, a sudden thunderstorm of seemingly apocalyptic proportions suddenly erupting all around it as the massive tentacled monstrosity that was a bull, not a female, air kraken dragged the St. Elmo back across the dimensional discontinuity. The beast was veritably the great grandfather of all air kraken; The St. Elmo was the size of a seagoing warship of the line and more, and the creature nearly dwarfed her.

The  gallant ship fired burst after burst of lightning-propelled balls of iron from her two coilguns, and broadside after broadside from her hull batteries into her gargantuan assailant as gouts and coils of ink and tentacular debris rained down or burst to one side or the other and tiny figures ran literally out onto the slippery, rubbery flesh and hacked away with sabers, cutlasses, and pikes. Most appeared to be wearing suits with attached descent arresting gear, but a few simply plummeted to oblivion when the creature heaved or writhed.

"DOC!! DRUSS!! CAP'N!! Wake up and let's get underway!" Rafe bellowed as he whipped out his cutlass and hacked his way free of teh descent arrestor just above the top obs deck of the Tradewind, "All hands, battle stations! STAND TO!!!

Other ships were already trying to join the fray, but were having a rough time of it what with the beast's ferocity and teh ferocity of teh eerily sudden storm. An Aerodromo patrol blimp flew close in, it's siren wailing and it's villa perosa gun blasting away, only to be literally swatted from the air by a lazy wave from the monster's ventral tentacle. The tiny ship exploded in flame and debris, ignited cartridges going off like a chinese new year as it smashed on the tarmac.

A lone figure with what looked to be steel-and brass articulated wings began to dive and slash at the kraken, like a tiny metallic eagle trying to savage a sperm whale. Strangely, fire erupted with each pass, and the afflicted areas stayed alight; a space opened in the tide of ships approaching the fight as the captains of hydrogen-lofted ships realized the danger they were in...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:37:22 am by MWBailey » Logged
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #349 on: July 21, 2014, 05:37:32 pm »

Madd leaped onto the deck of an airtug, a smaller zeppelin used to tow the largest dirigibles into the aerodrome, and steered it up to meet the Kraken.  As the massive creature loomed large in his eyes, he drew a dart dripping with Curare from the wooden quiver on his belt.

He loaded the blowgun, then grabbed a flare pistol, used for Signalling off the rack by the steering rudder and fired it at the Airborne Mollusc.

The Flames sent sparks all over its hide and it turned, enraged, to him, it's wagon-wheel sized eye on him.

Madd brought his blowgun to his lips and sent a dart  75 yards at an upward arc to strike the beast squarely in the pupil.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: