The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 03:29:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tradewind, Episode 1: "It's In My Blood"  (Read 12688 times)
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner
United States United States

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 06:14:30 pm »

"What are you hiring for?"

Amy grinned. "I'm hiring a crew for my airship, the Tradewind. I use her as a transport. While I can't always guarantee you'll be paid well, I promise you'll get an even share of the profits. You both seem able- would you like to join my crew? I have to get some repairs done, but we should be able to leave in a couple of days." Just then, a rather strange-looking man (and alarming, considering the blood sprinkled across his features and the jaguar at his side) approached.

"There's still plenty of meat over there, if you want it. Where are you going, exactly? I could use passage."

The first comment was obviously aimed toward one of the men she was talking to, but Amy couldn't help looking back to where the man with the jaguar had come from. She glimpsed enough to send a shudder through her body and cause her stomach to lurch faintly. Turning her attention quickly back to the conversation at hand, she realized that the newcomer was requesting passage. She almost didn't answer, but she plucked up her courage and looked him straight in the eye as she replied. "Passage to where? I'm not sure where I'm going yet- it depends on the job. ...Um, is that the missing jaguar that's got the police so worried?"

It's hard to unwind when people around you insist on stressing you out.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 10:23:20 pm »

Sounds like I'm in," Rafe said. "Where away be our ship, cap'n?"

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 11:54:04 pm »

With some effort, Amy tore her eyes away from the jaguar and looked instead at Rafe. She grinned easily. "Crashed in a field near the shipyards. It's a bloody hard thing to control all by myself. Myself being Captain Amy Haralson, at your service."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 02:01:24 am »

"as worried as the police are, madam Captain, the tribe that revered this animal are even more so, seeing how the people who brought this cat to London stole it from them. When do you think You'll be airborne? As you implied, This cat and I need to get out of Britain as soon as possible."

What do we want? Decapitations!
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 03:33:59 am »

Amy turned her attention again to the jaguar and the man beside it. "I see. Well, as I mentioned before, I didn't exactly have a smooth landing. It might be a couple of days before I get flying again. Until then, you're welcome to stay onboard if you want- to keep out of sight. The Tradewind isn't big, but she's got more space for a living creature than a bloody cage does."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 03:50:20 am »

I'm not by any means certified, and I haven't seen but one or two engines in my day that I actually managed to fix, but I'm pretty good with a wrench, and most of what I work on doesn't break from me doin' so. If you don't want me messin; with 'em, there's Carny's Chandlery over in Eastcheap, Carny himself does smithing and repairs for the fleet when the big boys're swamped. You might try talkin' to him."
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 03:58:28 am »

"If you've fixed anything, you're welcome to look at the engines. Listen, I was going to go to my sister's place for the night, but if you all want to, we can go back to the Tradewind and I'll cook some supper."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 05:59:14 am »

"Sounds good. Do you accept payment in Emeralds? I get a lot of them from the natives via trade."
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 11:12:29 pm »

"Um, sure. But aren't emeralds really valuable? I don't think a stay on the Tradewind would merit that kind of pay. She nice, but she's not much. And while I can promise my cooking won't poison you, I highly doubt it's the best around. Maybe better than old Sam's in the Coal & Gear..." Amy trailed off, contemplating the quality of meals in her favorite London pub.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 08:27:11 am »

" I insist. You're taking a risk by taking me along. Besides, I get a lot of Emeralds by trade with the natives."Madd pushed a handful of Emeralds in her fist.

"Where's the airship? The sooner I get this Jaguar out of sight, the better."
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 06:10:38 pm »

Amy reluctantly accepted the gems and placed them in a hidden pocket before replying. "I agree. That cat sticks out like a giraffe in the kitchen. The ship is just outside the shipyards- follow me." When she finished, she set off at a brisk pace towards the Tradewind, and they soon arrived. Amy climbed onboard and gave a small bow to the others. "Welcome aboard the Tradewind, mates."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 08:16:51 pm »

Madd led the big cat down into the hold, feeding it the piece of meat he packed from the dead man.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 10:36:30 pm »

Eyeballing the precious stones, Druss made a mental note to figure out where the Doctor got them later on. Following Amy, Dee looked the ship over from stem to stern, making notes here and there of what needed fixing, and what needed to be completely replaced. 

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 08:04:23 am »

Down below, Madd spoke softly to the cat now inside the ship.

"Don't worry," He whispered, feeding the cat a piece of human flesh, " We'll have you back in the jungle before you know it. You just sit tight."

The 200 pound predator purred , head in his lap.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 03:32:46 pm »

Rafe looked at the engines and the prop shafts, and saw what looked like the problem right away. "looks like both an exhaust blockage and a pin out of the drive yoke on the prop shaft," he observed. "First one's kinds hard to diagnose, one thing trends to lead to another in my admittedly limited experience, but the prop shaft," he stopped an dconsidered a moment, "just a big nail and a singeing torch* with a slack bath (a washtub full of borax-soapy water would do) would be all I'd need. That and some wrenches and a hammer."
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 04:17:55 pm »

"I think I've got all that you need. I try not to keep torches and the like laying around though, so I'll have to check if I have one in the metal storage locker. Hold on a minute." Amy went to the stern, where the locker was, and returned shortly carrying the supplies that Rafe had requested. "There might not be enough borax, but I had plenty of it a few days ago. It's funny- a lot of things have been disappearing lately..." Amy shrugged and grinned. "Maybe it's gremlins," she chuckled.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 09:55:07 pm »

"Thanks! I'll get right on it." He went outside, a good distance from the ship, snagging a square canvas envelope patch on the way. He found a scrubby tree in the middle of the pasture, and got a length of cord from his possibles bag, cut it into pieces with the khaki, and tied one corner to the tree, the other three to stakes made from a cutting from a dead limb of the same tree. He took the singeing torch, pumped it up, and lit it with the firestriker from his kit, picked up a nail that handily resided in the bundle of equipment, and brought it to a white heat with the torch, laying it down on a rock stacked beside the tree to cool slowly. He then took water from the pond in the pasture with the washtub, brought it back to the tree, dumped in a rough handful of borax, and then picked up the nail in the pliers and watched as the cherry red metal faded to what looked almost like a straw-buff, slightly reddish color, then dropped it into the slack tub. It sizzled and steamed, and quickly subsided.

"Ummmkay, now to gt started on the rest of it," Rafe said, wrapping the nail in his kerchief and tucking the bundle into his shirt pocket. He gathered up the tools and supplies, took down the makeshift tarp, folded it up and went back to the ship, and set about fixing the engine. As it turned out, the exhaust was just the end of a long chain of successive malfunctions. He managed to get it all set to rights without having to replace anything (though he did have to thread another nail to replace a retaining screw that had become dislodged and fallen into the intake manifold, which had to be removed in order to dislodge the fastener, which promptly became lost among the weeds and cowpies of the pasture under the ship). In the end, the engine started up just fine and ran for about thirty minutes until Rafe turned it off. "Seems alright now," he said, gathering up the tools and supplies and bringing them back aboard.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:48:46 am by MWBailey » Logged
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 07:20:16 am »

Meanwhile, Madd was skinning the head he took in the alley, filling it with tobacco juice and sand, and placing it in the furnace room to shrink, after sewing up the eyes, nose and mouth.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 09:12:02 pm »

Rafe put the tools by the door in the furnace room, sniffing the the air disgustedly. "Eurrgghhh, whut's 'at stink?" He asked, retching. "Smells like somebody spit all over a dead horse awnna hot day."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 12:35:16 am »

Druss had his bandana covering his face as he watched in fascination as the Doctor worked.
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 02:36:28 am »

To say that Mr Scott was disappointed would be an understatement. The ships sitting about all looked sad and entirely unseaworthy. Even in his desperate state he wasn't too keen on becoming an on-board doctor to the chronically malnourished. He would rather spend a week more in London like this than months upon months at sea. He headed in the direction of the airships and paced up and down for a while, browsing the ships. Most were similarly unimpressive, but the sheer thought of feeling queasy at sea forced him to stay and pick a ship. With nothing more than names to go off, he chose the only one that he felt had a certain ring to it: The Tradewind. He strode up the gangplank and knocked on the most solid-looking part of the doorframe.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 04:45:45 am »

Rafe heard the knock and made his way from the furnace room to the galley, past the staterooms, and down the main corridor to the hatch where a man could be seen standing outside from the porthole beside it. He hoped the Mauser at his hip , the khukri in his belt and the long watchcoat over his old MMC uniform, along with the wide-brimmed hat didn't make him look piratical, as he spun the latchwheel and worked the handle. He swung the hatch to one side and outward, and said, "Yessir? You knocked?"
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 05:07:43 am »

The man that appeared in response to the knock seemed friendly enough, if not a little intimidating. Then again, he found everyone a little intimidating.
"Um, yes. Yes. Good day. I'm looking for work." he managed.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 07:23:05 am »

Oh?" Rafe said, and then continued, "Uh, come in, please." He stepped aside to allow the fellow to do so, grabbing his spare bandanna from the inside pocket of the watch coat and wiping his hands just in case any engine grease remained, and then pulled the hatch closed and latched it again.

He looked at the caller, sizing him up and trying to get a sense of his background and likely qualifications. "I'm Rafe Storm, Just hired on m'self, I was an air marine with th' Marauder Company, recently furloughed. So, I'd say you're a professional man of some kind. Name? Lawyer? Doctor? I'd like to know so's I can tell the cap'n what kinda fellow's waitin' to be interviewed."
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2013, 07:46:41 am »

Amy, who had gone straight to the galley to fix a meal after delivering the tools to Rafe, poked her head into the room. "Supper's ready! It's probably better hot, but- uh, who's this?" Amy entered the room completely while looking at the newcomer, trying to get his measure. He looked like a professional of some sort, and she stifled a groan, wondering what useless "skills" he had. I'll bet he's a lawyer, she thought sourly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: