The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 06:50:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tradewind, Episode 1: "It's In My Blood"  (Read 12681 times)
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner
United States United States

Darwinist or Clanker?

« on: May 31, 2013, 12:59:56 am »

OOC: Sorry this took so long; I kept getting interrupted.

BIC: Captain Amelia Haralson staggered dazedly to the front of her ship to see where she had landed. Well, crashed, really. Fortunately, the Tradewind, her airship, seemed to have missed flattening any people or animals- it was in the middle of a deserted field. Just outside of London. Amy sighed. She had spent several years living there, and it was going to be very interesting going back. As to the ship itself, Amy wasn't sure what the trouble was, but she suspected it was the starboard engine. She'd have to get an engineer to come out and look at it... Things had probably changed since Amy had last been in town; but maybe her sister could help her out. Looking down at herself, Amy couldn't help but grin. She was dressed in trousers, a men's buttoned shirt with the sleeves rolled up, a black cap, and sturdy boots. Her clothes were in a distinctly disheveled state, and Amy could only imagine what her sister would think. "Well, Elizabeth will just have to put up with my appearance. I need her help if I'm going to get out of here anytime soon. Ah, home sweet home," she muttered, heading to her cabin for her coat and rapier.

It's hard to unwind when people around you insist on stressing you out.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:42:06 am »

A week's worth of down-and-out living in London for Mr Scott had turned him from a proudly wealthy medical student to a decidedly miserable man subsisting himself off loaves of bread and bowls of cheap stew. There were places for the poor in this city though, thankfully, but they weren't great places to store medical supplies. He had become very quickly known as 'brief', short for 'briefcase', as the homeless population of London were unfortunately unaware of the difference between a briefcase and a medical bag.

A week's worth of down-and-out living in London for Mr Scott had quickly forced him to formulate a legitimate plan. He hadn't put any thought to funding himself after leaving his home and only realised after leaving that he couldn't quite occupy a position in a hospital without a full qualification. He had come to the conclusion that he would have to pose as a fully-fledged doctor in order to obtain a position aboard a private ship, sea-going or air-going, if he was to live off anything more than bread and slop with a decent bed to return to at night.

On Wedneday, a week and a half after leaving Edinburgh, he found himself standing in the shadows of the London dockyards with sailships off to his left and airships off to his right. He fidgeted with his tie, adjusting it for a final time, then turned left.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 03:45:57 am »

Amy had gotten her things, and found that she would have to go through the shipyards to get to the city. That's fine, she thought- she had always loved ships of any kind. Besides, the Tradewind needed some fixing up- perhaps she could find an idea or two in the shipyards. It certainly wouldn't hurt to look... Unless, of course, I start running into people and knocking myself down, Amy thought, which is exactly what she had just done. Picking herself up and dusting off, she looked at the man she had run into. He looked decidedly professional (though somewhat disheveled), and Amy stuck out her hand for a handshake. "My apologies, sir. Captain Amelia Haralson at your service. I hope there's no harm done?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:31:51 am »

London Zoo

This is a joke, Madd thought to himself as he saw the poor animals on cobbled floors, behind rusted iron grates, The civilized ones are locked up.

He felt his pet ball python, the tiny snake known as Hannibal, wriggle inside the pocket of his vest, as he watched a jaguar pacing the distance of the cage, only pausing to look Madd in the eye a moment. The two stared for a moment as the big cat seemed to sense Madd's sympathy.

I know, big fella. Madd whispered through the bars, Even in this cage, you are probably more free than the fools who choose to live in this urban labryinth.

"'ey you, get away from that cage, that cat's a killer!" A zookeeper's voice interrupted Madd's reverie, the shared moment with the jungle cat.

" I'd be a killer too if some idiot dragged me a few thousand miles from my home and locked me up in a cage and put me on display." Madd growled back, " Half these animals would rather be anywhere than where they are. "

"Well they're here, move along now."

That is a strange one, the Zookeeper thought as he turned to stop some boys from teasing a brown bear, but his mind was still on the round little man in the khakis and pith helmet, with the odd walking cane and the belt full of strange wooden tubes, and- he suddenly realized- a shrunken head on his watch fob.

"Where are you from-" The Zookeeper turned to speak to Madd, and his eyes grew wide- the Jaguar's cage door was open and the cat was gone.

He screamed and sounded the alarm to clear the zoo and called for the police.

What do we want? Decapitations!
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 06:25:34 pm »

Druss had just left the barbers after his bi monthly visit when he noticed people running from the zoo down the street screaming.  Whistling as he walked briskly,  both hands in the pockets of his coat, he made his way through the panicked crowd curious as to the nature of the disturbance.  "Probably some damn fool kid got eaten finally.  Serves him right. "

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:47:16 pm »

Hearing a Texan accent ahead of him a short ways, seemingly in reaction to the hordes of people scrambling over each other to get away out of the menagerie, Rafe, as he preferred to be called, stepped up more or less beside his fellow countryman (expatriate though Rafe might in fact have been), and said, "Well, I don't know, Seems to me, that kinda depends on what the  little tyke did just before he got et."

He shifted the pack into a position that was somewhat less uncomfortable, and reached around behind himself and under the pack's bottom, and pulled the blunderbuss on its sling up into a usable position, just in case, and capped the nipple, rested the hammer on it gently, and charged the bore, wadded it, added a good portion of shot, another wad, and a small circle of sisal rope as a retainer, and waited to see if the cause of the mayhem would decide to reveal itself.

"You sound like back home, stranger. You from Texas?"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:49:35 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 09:26:31 pm »

Smiling at the odds of finding another Texan, Druss replied "Whell I reckon if'n he was anything like me at that age, he probly poked the poor critter till it got pissed off and ate'm" The mans drawl was thicker than his own, but lacked the high country twang. Druss's right hand fell to his right hip where the over powered Colt sat in its swivel rig. He'd left his big 8 gauge sawed off Greener at the barbers. "Up north in Oneida how bout yerself?"

As they walked Druss noticed a short round man that looked more at home in a Haggard novel than in the sweltering city heat walking with a freakishly large cat.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:54:12 pm »

"Over Fredonia way, down in the Thicket. At least that's what was there before the war. I hear the Doodles stuck a snag in the Angelina. I wonder if Jemmy still haunts the Neches. It's been thirty years since I was back home."

'Jemmy' was a hairy wildman creature widely believed to run wild in the woods and canebrakes along the Neches river.
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 07:03:37 am »

The man Amy had run into (or who had run into her- she wasn't quite sure about which it was) had merely mumbled something and continued on his way, even ignoring her outstretched hand. "All right. Well I'm glad I was raised with some sort of manners," she commented quietly, deciding to head into the city right away rather than linger in the shipyards. While she was looking for a mechanic's ship, Amy overheard two young ladies speaking about some excitement at the zoo. Apparently, someone had let an animal loose- a jaguar. "Oh dear, Lettie, he must have been mad! Who would do such a thing?" "Calm down, Sophie- he'll be caught, and that horrible beast will be returned to its cage. Everything will be fine, you'll see." Amy grinned. What sort of person would let a jaguar loose in London, for goodness' sake? He must be either absolutely mad, or felt awful for the beast. Not that it would do him much good- he would be imprisoned before the day was out, and the jaguar would most likely be shot. Pity, the big cats really were beautiful creatures. Amy found herself getting closer to the zoo, but didn't mind. Perhaps she'd catch a glimpse of the jaguar...
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:27:00 am »

Madd's ears perked up as he overheard the Texas Twang, and he looked back to see if the constabulary were close at hand before leading the two hundred pound Feline over. The Jaguar initially growled a low snarl, but Madd paused and whispered a few little nonsense-sounding words into its ear and stroked its nape, and the beast calmed.

"What part of Texas you from?" He asked Druss, " I fought alongside some Lone Star boys during the recent unpleasantness. I'm from West Tennessee, myself."

His eyes darted back to keep an eye open for the police.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 08:24:20 pm »

Rafe had never met the doctor, but he had heard of him by reputation and description, and had been serving aboard theflying ironclad Cayenne in the same swamps where Madd had his laboratory setup--he just hadnt known aboutthat particular fact until after the vessel and her crew were reassigned to New Orleans.

He waited until the manbeside him spoke before introducing himself.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 09:31:33 pm »

"Oneida" Druss quipped by way of introduction. "Yerself?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 02:16:10 pm »

"little town called Tranquility, on the Tennessee river, over near where General Forrest sent those Yankees packing at Johnsonville."

Out of the corner of his eye, he could see the Constabulary a block down coming that way.

"Nice meeting you, now if you'll excuse me...."

Madd and the large cat took off down the sidewalk at a rapid pace, turning into an alley, dissappearing.

The policemen stopped by Druss.

"I could have sworn he came this way. Pardon me, Guv, 'ave you seen a man coming this way with a large cat?"
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »

"He went that way" Druss jerked his thumb over his shoulder towards the wrong exit.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »

"He was goin' kinda fast," Rafe added, "ya might ketch up with 'im if ya hurry." He made as if to stuff the blunderbuss into his rather capacious possibles bag.

"y'know," Rafe said once the bobby had gone on out of earshot,  "I heard tell the doc was feeding yankees to the 'gators."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 12:28:16 am »

Madd was in an alcove, the Cat perched with its front paws on his lap, its powerful head nuzzling him as he fed it a piece of meat from a side pouch.
From the shadows, he saw a few people come past, among them a few policemen. When the coast was clear, he and the cat slipped out and sauntered nonchalantly down an alley, the cat at his side like a rural gameskeeper with his retriever.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 04:37:18 am »

"Well, I'm for the airdocks," Rafe said, "Got to go find me a tub to ship out on for my livin', less'n you know of one already you can direct me to, that needs a man who can fight as well as patch a cell or swab a deck."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 04:47:02 am »

Early evening, London's east side

Madd turned a corner in the alley, on his way to the room he rented for the night. Two figures, shadowy appeared in front of him.
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 05:09:15 am »

Amy chuckled to herself as several policemen passed her- apparently they were having some trouble locating their quarry. How hard can it be to find a bloody jaguar in the middle of London? she wondered, shaking her head in disbelief. Her thoughts were distracted from the missing cat when she heard an unmistakably Texan accent say, "Got to go find me a tub to ship out on for my livin'..." Amy turned on the spot, attempting to find the speaker. There- one of those two tall gentlemen walking beside one another. Amy approached and, with some effort, reached up to tap one on the shoulder. "Excuse me, sir- I overheard one of you talking about finding a ship to work on. May I inquire as to which of you it was, and as to his qualifications?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 06:33:25 am »

Madd watched as the two men drew closer. They weren't in police uniforms, so he and his spotted charge slipped out into the alley.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 06:33:46 am »

Rafe looked the young woman up and down, and then again. "forgive my manners, Madam..." he paused, considering, taking in her her rapier and overall appearance and dress. "Captain?"  I'm Rafael Storm, late of the Marauder Mercenary Company's Air Marines division. I started my military life as a Confederate Air Marine in the War Against Northern Aggression in the states. I've just come off more'n twenty years service in contract to Her Majesty's Government under MMC's auspices, mainly in Africa, and lately as a member of a liaised aerial force under British command, attached to the army of the Marquis de la Sevillanga* against the Riffian Tribes in the Deserts of North Africa."  

He took a breath and continued, "I was furloughed along with the twenty other survivors of that force, and have just arrived in London Airdock on the SS Mariposa. I'm well-versed in all aspects of military airmanship, and can patch a cell or darn an envelope rip with the best of 'em, do the chores, and be ready for a boarding party at a moment's notice, or man a deck gun should a gunner be needed. I've been in the blood and gore on both ship and shore more times than I can count, and am still alive to tell the tale."

----------------------------------
*RL Fictional nobleman and army
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 08:45:01 am »

One of the men drew a long knife from under his waistcoat as he approached Madd. The Other one stood in the alley, watching for the cops.

"Give me that pocketwatch, your purse and that ring and I MIGHT consider not cutting your ruddy throat from ear to ear."

Madd's hand went instinctively for his belt, and he grabbed a dart from the pouch on the side, and stepped back, loading the dart into his walking cane.

"I'd put away that pigsticker if I were you, son- You might hurt yourself."
Madd smirked.

"From you, Tubby?"

Madd pointed up. The Knife-wielding robber looked up, and staring down was a pair of yellow eyes. The Jaguar snarled and leaped. Madd shot the knife from the man's hand with a curare-laden Blowgun dart while the cat was in mid-air. The Jaguar landed on the man and pinned him down, those sharp canines crushing his face bones.
The Lookout screamed in horror as he took off down the street. Madd stood over the fallen man as the Jaguar began to eat.

"Eat your fill. " Madd whispered, "I'll take the leftovers."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 09:03:36 am »

Druss was surprised but not at all appalled by the news of the good doctors habits, anyone who'd feed a yank to a gator was alright in his book. When a spritely young thing walked up asking about qualifications Druss spoke up "Ah'm a fair hand but the old timers got me beat by a bit. What you hiring for?"
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 09:09:36 am »

The Jaguar licked the blood from its paws. Years of jungle living had taught predators to eat quickly and this animal was no different. Madd knelt over the fallen man, using his bowie knife to slice off a section of thigh meat. That done, he used the knife to remove the head.

He saw Druss as he and the cat walked away from the dead man.

"There's still plenty of meat over there, if you want it."
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 09:17:52 am »

Madd turned his attention to the girl, his face speckled by fresh blood, the jaguar at heel.

"Where are you going, exactly? I could use passage."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: