The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 05:58:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should the airship be named?
80 Days
Tradewind
Following Sea
Aurora
Providence
Other (Please specify)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Tradewind: OOC and Sign-up  (Read 7187 times)
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2013, 09:42:24 am »

Yay! I think I should be able to make stowing away work.
Here's my character information. I'm afraid I got rather carried away, so I made a pretty long backstory.
Name:Lena Volkova
Age:24 (If the decided date has been set as 1910, that's her age. But if it's not I can change her backstory or make the history slightly different.)

Physical Description: She has brown eyes and long brown hair down in a thick braid past her waist. She usually wears mismatching trousers and a corset, with a bolero jacket if it's cold. She has a tool belt with chemicals and glass vials in addition to pocket microscope. She has pair of glasses she keeps on her head. It helps her to see, but mostly because it keeps hair out of her face, not because she actually wears them.

Condensed History: Lena Volkova always loved to learn. So when she got the opportunity to study in St. Petersburg, she was ecstatic. She picked subjects to study all over the place. From music to history to physics. It all caught her fancy. But when political unrest in Russia led to the massacre of hundreds, Lena left St. Petersburg to travel the world. She had learned at least a bit of almost everything and never seemed to cease wanting more. During the years to follow, Lena had become a notable figure of sorts. She hadn't published much herself (except when her solicitor insists that she make some money) and didn't feel the inclination to. But among the world's intelligentsia she had made all sorts of acquaintances, whether by pestering them for manuscripts or asking for an opinion on a current theory she was working on.

If you want to read the full history. Here it is... *Sigh* I apologize in advance for the overly long descriptions and the unnecessary metaphors in this background....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2013, 06:59:31 am »

Accepted. ...I would welcome you aboard, but it seems you've already done that, miss Stowaway. Grin Anyway, beginners are no problem, and I enjoyed your long and well-written history.

It's hard to unwind when people around you insist on stressing you out.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2013, 09:15:45 am »

Miss Stubborn, I'm not trying to be unfriendly, just following the implausibility of the girl's story, coupled with her (let's be frank about it) rather rude and flippant behavior.

Rafe might not seem like it, but under the circumstances, he's bending over backwards, just about, to be nice about his impromptu inquiry, since he could just possibly be wrong in his suspicions (yes, I know that he is wrong, but he doesn't). Going beyond what he already said about maritime law, yes, but with good cause, In my view, for the reasons given.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2013, 11:03:07 am »

Oh no I completely understand. How else would someone react to a stowaway? I would have definitely have preferred to have gotten onto the ship normally. Wink  And you're completely right, Lena really doesn't care for social niceties. So it might be a while until anyone really believes her... Embarrassed Oops...  Grin
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2013, 06:07:13 am »

The corvette's purpose/mission is up for grabs, so to speak. As far as size, class and armament, the way I envision her and others of her type in the English Air Service or Air Navy is as a small, lightly-armed craft, smaller than a frigate (see the pic of the HMAS Marigold, here http://www.freeimagehosting.net/o2mrh , although the Marigold in concept was more of a pocket second-rate than an actual frigate) and larger than, say, a two-gunned gunship. Probably Three or four guns either in half-turrets, or in wing turrets along her sides and on the nose. I have no idea what the Tradewind's armament might be.

I had thought maybe she'd turn out to be a pirate or privateer, and would try and take us and we'd fight her off (maybe sink her?), but after I made the post, I realized how improbable that might seem to some. Still, it might make for some interesting action.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:12:26 am by MWBailey » Logged
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2013, 06:24:41 am »

Actually, I was hoping for some action, but didn't want to write a post that ran over your intentions, so I left it open.
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2013, 09:46:10 am »

I don't know if this would step on the action, but there was a chemical used around this time called Picric acid. It was used in explosive projectiles... Lena may be able to synthesize some in 10 to 20 minutes... so I don't know if there's time enough for that or the whole ship would be heading towards the channel before she could set up the beakers...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2013, 01:38:32 pm »

Go ahead and do it, I'd say.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2013, 01:47:41 pm »

Pardon the double post, but after a little google-fu, I think that given Rafe's military background, he's probably pretty familiar with Picric Acid, or more accurately, both the 'pure' form and the compound of it and guncotton called Lyddite (The British derivative); it might be one of the things he was worried about. Thus, i think it's a great idea.
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2013, 03:00:07 pm »

Yeah.. No I just wasn't sure because of the time it would take to make it. I don't know whether a firefight between two airships would last long enough for the explosives to be worth it. As I've never made it myself and am just taking this from the internet, I think 20 minutes is lucky. It might be closer to 40 minutes or an hour. But for the story it could be a shorter synthesis time. I just wasn't sure, but it isn't a huge deal. I'm probably just overthinking it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2013, 11:05:36 pm »

The soda lime canister is a RL item; it was used by diving bell and bathyscaph researchers back in the early 20th century to fight bad air from the extended time it took to reach extreme depths. I'm actually not sure how it was really used in such situations, to be honest. The thing with the canister in the ammo bag seemed logical, but I doubt it would really work in RL, since although the bags really were porous, they probably would not let enough air in to function as described.

Thus, in the words of John and Jamie, Don't Try This At Home!
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2013, 02:46:03 am »

Okay, so I want to post something. I definitely want to, but I have no idea where to go from this point. And now the longer I wait the more intimidating posting something is... I don't know if that makes any sense at all.  Undecided So... I really hope that the RP hasn't stopped! But I don't have any ideas about how to potentially cue plot into continuing... So... this is rambly (I haven't had much sleep today) and I'm going to stop now.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2013, 03:55:41 am »

Things're just hectic to an extent on my end (trying to come up with a new arrangement of an old tune with a deadline, getting ready for the monthly dulcimer meeting, Doc's appointment - knees are knocking, I've been a baaad li'l boy), so I haven't been posting in this RP much. The others are most likely starting School or College, or starting their kids in same for the fall semester, so they'll be off for a bit perhaps, but I don't think it's quite stopped, yet.
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2013, 05:58:14 am »

My apologies- indeed, school has just started for me, and one or two fool decisions have ensured that "free time" is now a myth. I'll try to keep up with this better, but I'll be busy.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2013, 02:54:52 am »

I'm starting a new system of diabetes meds, one of which unfortunately carries the possibility of causing extreme nausea during the breaking-in period (about three to six weeks), so there may be days or several when I'm unable to do much more than gag (already had a heaving spell today; this is day two) and wish I could post, but I'll try to keep it going on here.
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2013, 03:45:35 am »

Wow. I wish you well, and hope you break in the meds quickly. Thanks for your help keeping this thing going.
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2013, 03:11:17 am »

I'm sorry to hear about the change in medication. Those transition periods for meds  are just awful. Good luck. And like Cassandra said, I hope that you can get better quickly.
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 07:02:58 am »

Anyone hear any more about this rp?

What do we want? Decapitations!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2013, 06:59:32 pm »

I hope my meds hiatus didnt kill it...
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2013, 02:44:35 am »

Well, I'm all for starting up again! After all, we haven't yet hit Paris. Nor returned that lovely cat to it's proper place.  Smiley
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2013, 11:25:13 pm »

I'm game

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
Cassandra Sheffield
Gunner

Darwinist or Clanker?

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2013, 07:55:08 pm »

Um, hi. I'm really sorry for my long absence- schoolwork has kept me hopping, and I'm actually in danger of failing a couple classes. But I've got a week off now, then a few weeks of school before the end of the semester and a two week break. I'm going to do massive amounts of make-up work starting in about five minutes. However, my brain will explode if that's all I do, so I'll be on here for short periods of time throughout the week (probably about 30 minutes or so).

Again, I am really really REALLY sorry, and I promise to keep up in future so that I can do fun stuff like RP with you all.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2013, 06:13:31 am »

Um, hi. I'm really sorry for my long absence- schoolwork has kept me hopping, and I'm actually in danger of failing a couple classes. But I've got a week off now, then a few weeks of school before the end of the semester and a two week break. I'm going to do massive amounts of make-up work starting in about five minutes. However, my brain will explode if that's all I do, so I'll be on here for short periods of time throughout the week (probably about 30 minutes or so).

Again, I am really really REALLY sorry, and I promise to keep up in future so that I can do fun stuff like RP with you all.

Lookin' forward to it!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2013, 08:03:07 am »

*Odds n Sods Patrol: trying to use a plausible replacement name for the recently-current "Bluejeans Patrol" used by the US and other armed forces to combat the tendency of sharpers and muggers in foreign ports to prey on uniformed servicemembers out and about on short-term passes and such.
A Stubborn Chit
Gunner

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2013, 02:34:34 am »

Question: It says Rafe is 33 in his bio, but he just said he knew Packer thirty years ago. I just remembered that and thought it was odd. So I was wondering which one was right.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: