The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:21:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Chatelaine: Antique Multitool for Women  (Read 1801 times)
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

<Maddest Scientist>

« on: May 24, 2013, 06:04:23 pm »

Neatorama illustrates the chatelaine:
neatorama.com

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 07:51:38 pm »

Now there's something with a lot of potential...

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:21:48 pm »

I have wanted to make myself a chatelaine for a long time.  I just lack the fancy bit with the hook at the top.  I've got filigree brooches and bits that could be used for the front piece and I have been on a soldering course so I could solder the filigree bit on myself if need be.  Really it is just the back hook piece that I lack.  To start with I need one in silver and one in brass.
Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 09:36:28 pm »

Neatorama illustrates the chatelaine:
neatorama.com

That article is quite meh, but the one on Collectorsweekly that's linked in that page is much more interesting and informative.

There are many boards on Pinterest dedicated to chatelaines, one I follow is this one but a simple search will bring several results.

Sewing chatelaine are still used, but it's more as a way of keeping all that you need together, not necessarily on your person.

There are also contemporary artistic interpretation, a few years ago Helsinki Designmuseum organized and exhibition called "Challenging the châtelaine" where each artist created a chatelaine for a person or character of their choice.

I guess I should take a picture of my own, sooner or later.

Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 09:38:58 pm »

I have wanted to make myself a chatelaine for a long time.  I just lack the fancy bit with the hook at the top.  I've got filigree brooches and bits that could be used for the front piece and I have been on a soldering course so I could solder the filigree bit on myself if need be.  Really it is just the back hook piece that I lack.  To start with I need one in silver and one in brass.

well the hook is more practical if you are going to hang heavy stuff, but I made mine as a brooch and it works pretty well.
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 12:33:16 am »

If you log in and search the forum for "chatelaine," you'll find that dozens of contributors have been interested in the subject.
ColeV
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 02:46:35 am »

It went by the term "equipage" in the 18th century, so a search for that term would help as well. Many sutlers for reenactors sell the pieces for them. I finally found a proper sized watch and hope to have one with pinball, scissors, and thimble later this summer.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 10:27:05 am »

I need to get my library out of storage, I know I have a book on chatelaines in there.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 06:13:35 pm »

I may have the same book, walking stick.

Hmm, a brooch.  That will not take the same weight as a solid hook, and also it means making holes in a waistband that can be quite thick.  Not the answer to my problem, I fear.
Mrs.EP
Gunner
Italy Italy

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 11:03:06 pm »

Hmm, a brooch.  That will not take the same weight as a solid hook, and also it means making holes in a waistband that can be quite thick.  Not the answer to my problem, I fear.

what about cannibalising the clip from one of those cellphone holder that are meant to go on your belt? Not the plastic clothespin like, those made from a single piece of bent metal
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:45:15 pm by enui » Logged
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 11:08:50 pm »

Cellphone holder?  I'll have to take a look.  Thanks.
Lachlan_MacAuslander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 11:02:56 pm »

what about cannibalising the clip from one of those cellphone holder that are meant to go on your belt? Not the plastic clothespin like, those made from a single piece of bent metal

If you can't find one to cannibalize and are forced to pay retail (gasp!), Tandy Leather carries those metal belt clips for use in holster and belt pouch crafting...
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:12:32 am »

Hey, yes! 'holster clip' is what it is called.  Thank you so much.  I have been looking around for ages, and you have solved the problem.   Kiss
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 10:26:43 am »

I did post this elsewhere recently, but this seems like a more suitable place.  Smiley

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 11:27:20 pm »

Oh Argus.  Are you giving me a present?  Kiss
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 12:45:17 am »

Smiley  Most "holster clips" tend to be fairly wide spring steel (nickeled, chromed or mirror-polished), but Tandy, at least, used to, have a narrow version that could be disguised behind something decorative, if desired

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 09:26:08 pm »

We just discovered the Chatelaine from a reference in a Parasol Protectorate novel.

clever little device and seems like it might solve some cargo issues for fairs and such.

At present, I've got an idea to make a gear based hook with watch, scissors, glasses case and 2 more slots to fill.  This should help solve the wife's issues with needing to carry a purse full of this stuff, plus a pouchful belt.

Figured this thread was worth a bump just because I wonder how many like me had never heard of it, and it's perfectly period for steampunk.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 04:59:24 am »

I appreciate your bumping this thread, Kensington Locke, as it let me see this magnificent example:

I did post this elsewhere recently, but this seems like a more suitable place.  Smiley

Providence, Rhode Island, 1887, eh?  I would have expected it to be a lot more recent.  It certainly is whimsical.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 06:38:14 am »

I appreciate your bumping this thread, Kensington Locke, as it let me see this magnificent example:

Providence, Rhode Island, 1887, eh?  I would have expected it to be a lot more recent.  It certainly is whimsical.

I suspect the significance is that Providence is not far from Arkham, Mass.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 03:08:45 pm »

That is a cool one.  I've got half a plan to build one on a triangular base, a mess of gears and then chains hanging down.  One of the harder things is sourcing embroidery scissors WITH metal sheath.  They're all leather/pleather today.  Another challenge will be finding a glasses case large enough (my wife's are huge for some reason) that we can SP up and put a strap or something to ensure it stays shut.  A big hassle is swapping regular and prescription sunglasses on/off as we enter/exit shops, so hanging that on the Chatelaine was the first thing I thought of.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 05:12:50 am »

I prefer a little bag hung from a belt - I have a leather one, and a red velvet one.

As an archaeologist, I would have a leather belt, with compartments suited to the tools required for my work, a la Amelia Peabody!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:11:03 pm by Banfili » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 06:54:13 am »

It reminds me of Batman's utility belt.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 03:04:57 pm »

We've done the pouch solution for RenFair costumes.

For my own costumes, I often carry accessories that are in my pockets/pouches that are in character, but effectively hidden.  Unless it comes up, nobody knows I've got a compass or spyglass on my person.  It's a buried detail.

What I like about the Chatelaine is that it reveals the contents and presents them externally as part of the outfit. Now when a person sees it, they're wondering what the items are, why this person is carrying them.

steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 04:05:59 am »

Have you thought of flip-up clip-on shades?  Most look kind of 1980s, but you could probably steampunk them...

I<snip>  Another challenge will be finding a glasses case large enough (my wife's are huge for some reason) that we can SP up and put a strap or something to ensure it stays shut.  A big hassle is swapping regular and prescription sunglasses on/off as we enter/exit shops, so hanging that on the Chatelaine was the first thing I thought of.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 03:08:11 pm »

Have you thought of flip-up clip-on shades?  Most look kind of 1980s, but you could probably steampunk them...

I<snip>  Another challenge will be finding a glasses case large enough (my wife's are huge for some reason) that we can SP up and put a strap or something to ensure it stays shut.  A big hassle is swapping regular and prescription sunglasses on/off as we enter/exit shops, so hanging that on the Chatelaine was the first thing I thought of.

She hasn't seemed fond of the clip-on solution, having done the prescription sunglass thing for 20 years now.  The topic has come up before Smiley

Now I just found a pair of round rim sunglasses where they flip up to reveal "normal" lenses.  They'll work for my steampunk outfit, but the missus was eyeing them jealously, thinking she could get prescription lenses made for that frame.  I'm not so sure how well $25 sunglasses will hold up to justify the expense of buying lenses for them.  Plus, I'd be out a pair of sunglasses Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: