The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:56:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medals?  (Read 2328 times)
Mr. Syson
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 12:03:24 am »

What about wearing medals you have been awarded? I have three, nothing exciting, two Queens's jubilee medals and a long service medal, but they are mine. Would this be frowned on or better to avoid misunderstandings?
Mme. Ratchet
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 02:08:34 am »

If you earned them I cannot see any good reason to be angry with you for wearing them.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 02:18:09 pm »

Interesting thread.

For regular non-medaled folks, it seems the general consensus is to not wear any real medals or fake real medals on your costume.

Wearing fictitious medals seems OK, especially if they are non-military and clearly, not the same as real medals.

For folks who've earned medals (ex war medals), as I've not seen this discussed, I would say that there is probably context in when you would wear those medals in real life.  Probably on a uniform during special solemn occasions.  Not to your day job.  Not to the movies.  Not while mowing the lawn.  As such, if you are dressing up for steampunk for an event, the context is not solemn, and thus likely not appropriate for those serious medals.  It'd be like a Big Bird cosplayer wearing his purple heart.  The costume is silly, and thus the context becomes silly.

Not saying dressing up in steampunk is silly, but for many, it's an entertainment.  And those medals are not an entertainment.

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 09:25:41 pm »

I would note that, at least here in the US, if our military personnel are wearing their dress uniform for any reason (solemn or not), they are typically wearing their medals or a representation of them (here in the US, we use a ribbon, colloquially known as "lettuce", on a ribbon board on the left chest). Period. That being said, if you earned it, wearing it whenever you want would be perfectly appropriate, no context required. Example being a bronze star. If you earned it, wear it. Put it on your board shorts if you want.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 09:57:53 pm »

I would note that, at least here in the US, if our military personnel are wearing their dress uniform for any reason (solemn or not), they are typically wearing their medals or a representation of them (here in the US, we use a ribbon, colloquially known as "lettuce", on a ribbon board on the left chest). Period. That being said, if you earned it, wearing it whenever you want would be perfectly appropriate, no context required. Example being a bronze star. If you earned it, wear it. Put it on your board shorts if you want.

If that's the official rules that it's OK to mow the lawn with your purple heart and bronze star, who am I to argue Smiley

I would explain that my reasoning for not doing so is more conservative, in that if you aren't sure if something would be offensive or disrespectful, then don't do it.

Personally, as I don't wear my karate uniform outside of the dojo, as a matter of respect to the uniform and the dojo.  So it's a matter of the wearer disrespecting the medal and all those who earned it (not just the medal recipient in question) that is on the line.  So I wouldn't advise mowing your lawn with your bronze medal.  Nor would I advise wearing your steam punk costume with your bronze medal (barring some really special situation like a band of former military/steampunk friends doing a military send off for a friend).

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 10:41:46 pm »

That much I could get behind. I mean, there's certainly no rule that I"m aware of *against* mowing your lawn in your dress greens, but it's probably not the world's best idea.
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 05:29:42 pm »

My collection of English perfect attendance Sunday school medals

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2016, 12:51:52 pm »

I would apologise for necrosis-posting but in the interests of keeping things a little neat (and doffing my cap to the sage words posted before by military men and civilians alike) I feel I must continue.

It would appear that there is some movement to reinstatement and refinement of the law surrounding this interesting issue.

General conmen background.....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/05/fake-military-heroes-would-face-jail-under-proposed-walter-mitty/

Some what more specific
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/22/mps-back-new-walter-mitty-medals-law-criminalise-military-imposters/

Also I'd highly recommend the Walter Mitty Hunters Club sites if you fancy a good chortle. Being a humble civvy myself I have found it to be most enlightening.

"Take pride in what you have done. In what you are. To paint fiction as fact with pomp and circumstance by stealing the mantle of others, betrays a life found wanting."

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 09:38:36 pm »

I don't have my father's medals to wear, as they 'disappeared' (read pawned by another member of the family) some years ago. If I did, they would be worn only on ANZAC Day (25th April) and Remembrance Day.

I do, however, have his beautiful sterling silver dress pilot's wings - I would wear them at other times of a less formal nature than the above, but not on a frivolous occasion.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: