The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 04:46:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ~ {{ The Fried Foods from Around the World thread }} ~  (Read 15422 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #200 on: June 10, 2016, 02:14:31 am »

Lots of kabob places around Detroit. Go to a Greek or Arab place and the kabobs wkll be delicious. Go to a diner and they will have fat and gristle on them. Some people don't seem to understand that with kabobs you need to trim all of that away to create a perfect meat object with nothing to throw away but the wooden skewer.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #201 on: June 10, 2016, 11:20:48 am »

I'm surprised. Why can't I see the шашлык and its analogues? Simple meat roasted over the heat?

Take small pieces of meat, marinated and roasted on skewers over wood coals. Yes, in principle it may be not meat but vegetables or fish.

Select the basis and the marinade creates a lot of recipes and debate what is right.

I for example, in season, marinated in red currant. Smiley

Lots of kabob places around Detroit. Go to a Greek or Arab place and the kabobs wkll be delicious. Go to a diner and they will have fat and gristle on them. Some people don't seem to understand that with kabobs you need to trim all of that away to create a perfect meat object with nothing to throw away but the wooden skewer.

Simple explanation why you couldn't find kabobs: The  problem, dear friends, is that kabobs are grilled, not fried. This is a list of fried foods!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:22:59 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #202 on: June 10, 2016, 09:19:37 pm »

Sorry, did not realize this difference.  Sad

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2016, 10:39:28 am »

Sorry, did not realize this difference.  Sad

Perhaps we need a new thread for Grilled Foods?  Grin
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2016, 01:13:48 am »

I still much fancy fritters - any variety of left over meat or chunks of veggies like cauliflower dunked in a very light batter and deep fried. Also include in my list of likes pineapple slices, banana and also apple slices - nothing like like pineapple fritters, chicken & chips from 'Red Rooster'!

Alas, they are not very good for one, so not partaken of more than once a year! Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2016, 07:40:54 am »

I still much fancy fritters - any variety of left over meat or chunks of veggies like cauliflower dunked in a very light batter and deep fried. Also include in my list of likes pineapple slices, banana and also apple slices - nothing like like pineapple fritters, chicken & chips from 'Red Rooster'!

Alas, they are not very good for one, so not partaken of more than once a year! Grin

That sounds like Tempura...
Sir Henry
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Poking the i's and drinking the t's

« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2016, 07:58:51 am »

But it does remind me...

Now is the time of year for elderflower fritters, a life-long delight in our family and very simple. Enjoy them while you can, the season isn't long.

Pick elderflower heads with as many flowers open and as few dead ones as possible. Remove bugs but don't wash them, they're far too delicate.
Make a thinish batter and put a couple of inches of oil in a saucepan. Heat the oil until it is hot enough to cook a drop of the batter in about 15 seconds.
Hold by the stalk and dunk a head in the batter and twist until it is completely covered. It will clump into a large blob, but don't worry.
Lift out of the batter and dunk it in the oil. Twist/spin it slowly as it goes in and it will open out into its original flower head shape.
When it starts to brown, remove and put in a paper bag (plastic ones melt) containing sugar and cinnamon. close the top and shake. Remove and enjoy.

Elderflower Fritters:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (or flour of your choice)
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 tsp.  salt
    12-16 Elderflower heads with stems,
    oil for frying
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon in sugar for dusting

Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2016, 08:05:44 pm »

Now I travel around Georgia. So ...

Chicken Tabaka. This whole, flattened chicken . It is fried with garlic, pepper and spices in the local varieties of the pan with a lid.

When cooking a chicken carcass before roasting turns around and is flattened under pressure at about 20-30 kPa. Once the bones of the chicken will start to break down, press go and put the carcass in a pan, or, as it was the peoples of the Caucasus, on the metal sheet is laid smoothly on the fire. Next, the chicken is served with a heavy load. In modern cooking, use a special pan for this dish and they have a heavy lid or a screw press.

Hmmm, it is pressed. There is some breath of steampunk, the food through the mechanism.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2016, 01:28:55 am »

But it does remind me...

Now is the time of year for elderflower fritters, a life-long delight in our family and very simple. Enjoy them while you can, the season isn't long.

Pick elderflower heads with as many flowers open and as few dead ones as possible. Remove bugs but don't wash them, they're far too delicate.
Make a thinish batter and put a couple of inches of oil in a saucepan. Heat the oil until it is hot enough to cook a drop of the batter in about 15 seconds.
Hold by the stalk and dunk a head in the batter and twist until it is completely covered. It will clump into a large blob, but don't worry.
Lift out of the batter and dunk it in the oil. Twist/spin it slowly as it goes in and it will open out into its original flower head shape.
When it starts to brown, remove and put in a paper bag (plastic ones melt) containing sugar and cinnamon. close the top and shake. Remove and enjoy.

Elderflower Fritters:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (or flour of your choice)
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 tsp.  salt
    12-16 Elderflower heads with stems,
    oil for frying
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon in sugar for dusting

I had never heard from this.  Sounds fantastic.

A very different kind of flower, the Courgette/Zucchini blossom is used in savoury dishes in Mexico (the Native country of Courgettes) and all along the Mediterranean as well.

Mexican Quesadillas filled with Courgette/Zucchini blossom are technically fried all the way, because the squash blossom is sautéed on a pan with other ingredients like Epazote (Mexican Tea leaves), onions and chile peppers, and combined with string cheese to fill a maize tortilla or type of "calzone" made with fresh maize masa dough, then folded in half and pan fried again....

You won't need to speak Spanish to understand the video.

como hacer quesadillas de flor de calabaza

http://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com/2012/06/squash-blossoms-quesadillasquesadillas.html

https://patijinich.com/2010/06/squash_blossoms/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:32:14 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2016, 01:33:24 am »

Now I travel around Georgia. So ...

Chicken Tabaka. This whole, flattened chicken . It is fried with garlic, pepper and spices in the local varieties of the pan with a lid.

When cooking a chicken carcass before roasting turns around and is flattened under pressure at about 20-30 kPa. Once the bones of the chicken will start to break down, press go and put the carcass in a pan, or, as it was the peoples of the Caucasus, on the metal sheet is laid smoothly on the fire. Next, the chicken is served with a heavy load. In modern cooking, use a special pan for this dish and they have a heavy lid or a screw press.

Hmmm, it is pressed. There is some breath of steampunk, the food through the mechanism.

I've heard of using a pan to press the meat before, but that is impressive.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2016, 04:05:32 am »

Gordonsville (VA) Fried Chicken (and was also sold on the original Oriental Express) which is about 82 or 60 years earlier than a certain "Col." first sold his offering.

BTB I have taken the date from 1870 for Gordonsville Fried Chicken.

Not sure if this should be included in the Victorian Brands thread?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2016, 05:07:53 am »

Gordonsville (VA) Fried Chicken (and was also sold on the original Oriental Express) which is about 82 or 60 years earlier than a certain "Col." first sold his offering.

BTB I have taken the date from 1870 for Gordonsville Fried Chicken.

Not sure if this should be included in the Victorian Brands thread?

But is there a specific brand or company that still survives? Sometimes small establishments can survive and be branded, like Cafe du Monde in New Orleans,  but it's rare and a loophole in my rules, at least . Technically Cafe du Monde is just a (small) chain of coffee shops in New Orleans, but the products based on what they serve were branded for sale at supermarkets. If there was a similar situation it could be branded.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #212 on: October 27, 2016, 09:20:09 pm »

"Crispy Seaweed", which is really...dried & fried cabbage.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #213 on: October 27, 2016, 10:30:09 pm »

You bet it is. Real seaweed looks and tastes like carbon paper (for those of you old enough to remember what carbon paper was).
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #214 on: October 27, 2016, 11:20:18 pm »

You're talking about roasted seaweed? And some of them make wonderful salads.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2016, 12:48:50 am »

You bet it is. Real seaweed looks and tastes like carbon paper (for those of you old enough to remember what carbon paper was).

Yep I do. So can "crispy seaweed" be included, or would it come under the "bubble & squeak" label?

Not roasted, just fried...I've never heard of roasted seaweed to be truthful, what does it taste like?.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #216 on: October 28, 2016, 06:55:21 am »

When taking about "carbon paper," I was referring to Nori. The super-thon real-seaweed wrapping used for Sushi. I have never tried raw seaweed salad (Wakame).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nori
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wakame

I think that a lot of the "crispy seaweed" dishes in Chinese restaurants are actually what we in the USA call "Collared Greens," also known as Kale,  a thick-leaf dark-green type of cabbage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collard_greens
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2016, 07:55:56 am »

we have more in common these - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminaria.

In common parlance - seaweed.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #218 on: October 31, 2016, 01:56:11 pm »

taking fried rice to a whole new level

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #219 on: October 31, 2016, 02:21:23 pm »

I don't know whether to call it a culinary dish.

Just fried garlic arrows.

Harvested garlic arrows
cut into convenient pieces
fry in vegetable oil
salt

ready

So you can eat, as garnish

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #220 on: October 31, 2016, 04:55:49 pm »

Harvested garlic arrows
fry in vegetable oil
salt

ready

but is it fried
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #221 on: October 31, 2016, 05:07:52 pm »

Harvested garlic arrows
fry in vegetable oil
salt

ready

but is it fried

frying pan, oil, fire. It's frying.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #222 on: November 01, 2016, 06:01:19 am »

Would be a perfect garnish for grilled steak....
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #223 on: November 01, 2016, 11:36:25 am »

Harvested garlic arrows
fry in vegetable oil
salt

ready

but is it fried

frying pan, oil, fire. It's frying.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah it looked raw on the picture
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #224 on: May 09, 2017, 08:11:13 am »

We did not cover the Japanese Takoyaki, did we? A quick search in BG shows we have only mentioned that name 3 times  in other threads and only since the late 90's at that!

Takoyaki, are small ping-pong size ball-shaped snacks fried in a special mold. The batter is made from wheat and is usually filled with minced octopus (Tako) and/or Tempura scraps, pickled ginger, and green onion. The fried batter balls are then seasoned with a type of Worcestershire-like sauce and mayonnaise plus dried fish shavings.

Photos, Creative Commons License (CC) by SquekyMarmot, 2007 (top) and Schellack, 2011 (bottom)

JW

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: