The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 11:56:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with brass nipple sizing  (Read 1313 times)
Julian
Gunner
United States United States

« on: May 09, 2013, 12:10:20 am »

So I am connecting up a series of pipes.  The pipes that I found that have threading on the outside are called nipples.  The problem comes in making everything fit together.  For example, I have a 1/2 inch diameter brass nipple.  This tells me I should need a 1/2 inch coupler or reducer.  The problem is that it only screws on for a few threads then it stops.  I want things to be flush with no threads exposed.  I looked at the nipple and I think I found the problem.  Each thread is slightly higher than the next so eventually the threads are too big to fit the coupler. 

I tried going up in sizes.  A 5/8 inch flute cap fits on it, but a 5/8 inch coupler is too big.  So, is there any other pipe with thread on the outside I could use beside a nipple?  Is there anything I can do to make things flush with no thread exposed? 

Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:49:05 am »

The reason for that is that pipe threads are tapered which is there to ensure a tight seal with mechanical thread only. This almost impossible to achieve with parallel threads. Not all pipe standards use tapered threads but you don;t always haev the choice for a given connector size.

If you want a flush fit with standard parts you will need either push fit or soldered connectors. If the strength of the joints insn;t vritical then  the simple solution is just to file the threads down until they fit and epoxy them together.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 01:10:27 am »

I read the title of this discussion as "Need help with brass nipple ring sizing".
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:13:38 am »

I read the title of this discussion as "Need help with brass nipple ring sizing".

Shame on you!

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:25:30 am »

I don't have any way to solder pipes properly, so I guess that is not an option.   

Any recommendations on what to use to file the threads down? 
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 01:36:19 am »

at the risk of being facetious a file would be the best thing.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 01:38:44 am »

You can back fill the exposed threads with solder or epoxy or something else.  Assemble everything, then fill in the threads and smooth.

grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 02:10:43 am »

You really need tapered thread fittings to match. For example 2 common thread gauges are BSPT and NPT. You also have coarse and fine threads. If you really want to use the fittings you have get a parallel thread die to match the fittings and rethread the nipples with that.

Kindest regards, Raven

Julian
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:22:51 am »

I am fine with buying new fittings, I am just not sure what ones to get.  The store doesn't list threading types on any of the packages.  All I really need is a 1/2 inch diameter pipe connected to a 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch reducer.  The reducer is then connected to a 1/4 inch pipe.  If there are ones where the threading matches and goes in smoothly, I would be happy to purchase them. 
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 06:37:01 am »

Since you're in the US, the pipes are almost certain to be NPT taper-threaded. I'm wondering, though, if there's a reason you're using threaded-joint pipe instead of solder-joint (which can be epoxied if it's just for looks) pipe?

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 05:21:29 pm »

I probably don't have to use threaded pipe.  In all honesty I never thought much about pipe other than with threads I can hold everything together.  The only issue I see about the threads is that I will be putting batteries in part of the contraption.  I will need some way to open it and replace the batteries as needed.  Having an end I can screw off and on helps with that, but I am sure there is another way to give me access to the batteries.  I just need to think about it. 
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 08:10:04 am »

Tapered threads are intended to be tightened only once. They get a tight seal by deforming the metal slightly.  So if it has to be unscrewed to change batteries, a tapered thread joint will be troublesome.
Julian
Gunner

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 03:35:42 pm »

I think what I am going to do is replace the brass nipples with copper pipe and then glue it all together.  For the battery, I am going to add a FIP to MIP coupler to the copper pipe in place of the cap I am using.  Then I will add the end cap to the coupler.  This should allow me to replace the batteries and avoid the threads showing. 
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 08:13:26 pm »

oh good it wasn't just me
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: