The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 03:29:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Earbuds"? Why, after one hundred years?  (Read 1320 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: May 03, 2013, 12:42:31 am »

They have been around for over a century. Why, after 100 years, has "earbuds" become a generic term for all earphones for some people?
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:28:35 am »

Earbuds are a particular type of audio device, defined by the fact that part of the device sits within the ear itself. It's to differentiate them from headphones, which sit outside of the ear on a headband, and earphones, which don't have a headband but don't sit within the ear, often they have hooks to keep them in place.

VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 03:33:04 am »

I hadn't noticed anyone refering to regular headphones as earbuds, but that does sound annoying. Acturally, why earbuds at all? They're uncomfortable and may increase hearing damage.

LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 03:39:05 am »

They're uncomfortable and may increase hearing damage.

I can't stand headphones, they never seem to fit the curve of my head and mess with my hair.  I have had the silicone tipped earbuds for years and I won't change to headphones.

I understand that everybody has their own opinions but this is mine.

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 03:47:09 am »

Okay, I'll give you that... it's why I have behind the head headphones. I find earbuds very uncomfortable and most fall out constantly.
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 03:54:01 am »

Okay, I'll give you that... it's why I have behind the head headphones. I find earbuds very uncomfortable and most fall out constantly.

I find that style and long hair are incompatible.
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 04:02:02 am »

Likewise, I can't support a headband with a mohawk. With earbuds it's simply a case of finding the right size for the silicone attachment; if you get some that actually fit, they're not uncomfortable and they never fall out.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 04:13:27 am »

So they tell me, but apparently that's easier said than done.
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 04:34:17 am »

Likewise, I can't support a headband with a mohawk. With earbuds it's simply a case of finding the right size for the silicone attachment; if you get some that actually fit, they're not uncomfortable and they never fall out.

You could always add a parting for the band.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 06:10:07 am »

I'm not talking just about headphones that fit over your head. Since early in the twentieth century there have been miniature earphones that hit inside your ear, and the Earbud company did not invent anything new.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:13:03 am by RJBowman » Logged
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 06:12:47 am »

I've done it before but I wouldn't leave the house like that Cheesy
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 06:18:54 am »

I find that the soft tip earbuds work well.  I can't have pressure on the outside of my ear or it starts hurting quite a bit.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 10:24:20 am »

I use Sennheiser CX300 II earphones (I hate the word 'earbud'; I always think it sounds vaguely anatomical... "The doctor said I've got an infected earbud so I've got to use these drops twice a day").

The sound quality is great and they're well-made so they last for ages. I've lost a few pairs because i'm absent-minded, but I don't think I've ever had to replace a pair because they've stopped working. If you shop around you can get them for under £20.

If you find earphones uncomfortable, I'd also recommend Comply foam tips. I get through a few pairs a year but it means I can wear my earphones for hours at a time now, whereas before I used to struggle to listen to a whole album on my mp3 player before giving up due to ear-ache.

Also because the foam expands to fit your ear, they're better at blocking out background noise so you don't have to turn up the volume (which I'm sure is appreciated by the people around you who don't necessarily want to listen to your music). Comply make a range of models to fit lots of different makes of earphones and different sizes of ear. Again, if you shop around you can get them for a few pounds per pair.

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 11:46:11 am »

I find that style and long hair glasses are incompatible.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
AltheBiker
Gunner

Vroommmmm

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 12:04:51 pm »

what on earth are you all on about ?  "Earbuds" are ears from the USA who have become friends, they used to be called earbuddies, but now shortened to just earbuds. Sadly most are destined never to meet being on the opposite side of peoples heads.

Music and Toast in Darkness
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 02:20:02 pm »

I've done it before but I wouldn't leave the house like that Cheesy

No one would look at you that weirdly in Edinburgh I have seen plenty of people looking weirder, although they are trying to look fashionable.

I find that style and long hair glasses are incompatible.

Long hair and glasses make it even worse.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 03:03:59 pm »

For listening in private at home, I use headphones. For listening in private on the road (walk or bicycle) I use earbuds. On a temperate volume though.
But nothing beats listening to music on a good sound set with the base pounding your chest.  Grin

They should make vests that resembles the base pound to match the earbuds. A vest-bud or ear-vest. Yeah, I think I'm on to something there.  Cheesy

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 03:51:59 pm »

For listening in private at home, I use headphones. For listening in private on the road (walk or bicycle) I use earbuds. On a temperate volume though.
But nothing beats listening to music on a good sound set with the base pounding your chest.  Grin

They should make vests that resembles the base pound to match the earbuds. A vest-bud or ear-vest. Yeah, I think I'm on to something there.  Cheesy

I agree, having been mostly deaf for the first 6 years of my life I experience so much sound, in particular low noises, though my body. Half the time I have no idea if I'm actually hearing or feeling a low sound. Earphones feel empty. Then again a really heavy base can make me feel rather ill. And certain engine noises can cause me to roll around in agony as I feel my skull reverberating... maybe not such a good superpower.

~A~
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 07:21:59 pm »

#SNIP#

I agree, having been mostly deaf for the first 6 years of my life I experience so much sound, in particular low noises, though my body. Half the time I have no idea if I'm actually hearing or feeling a low sound. Earphones feel empty. Then again a really heavy base can make me feel rather ill. And certain engine noises can cause me to roll around in agony as I feel my skull reverberating... maybe not such a good superpower.

~A~
[/quote]

With that heavy ill making base you would probably be close to the "brown note"  Grin
Rooster
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 04:26:03 pm »

So they tell me, but apparently that's easier said than done.

http://www.complyfoam.com/ Have foam tips to fit most IEM/Canal phone type earphones in various sizes.

But nothing beats listening to music on a good sound set with the base pounding your chest.  Grin

They should make vests that resembles the base pound to match the earbuds. A vest-bud or ear-vest. Yeah, I think I'm on to something there.  Cheesy

Pretty sure a company used to make these for pc/console gaming years ago though they weren't very good. Buttkicker style transducers may be worth a look for inspiration.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 06:44:36 pm »

In terms of stage performance earbuds can be pretty essential. Although it's acceptable and necessary for someone such as the drummer to wear close backed headphones for hearing click tracks and blocking out back ground noise. If used by vocalists you won't find too many singers happy about running around on stage in headphones for their personal in ear monitoring.

They can also be bloomin expensive.

http://www.shure.co.uk/products/in_ear_monitoring

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 10:20:02 pm »

what on earth are you all on about ?  "Earbuds" are ears from the USA who have become friends, they used to be called earbuddies, but now shortened to just earbuds. Sadly most are destined never to meet being on the opposite side of peoples heads.

I believe the equivalent British expression would be "ear-chum." This term has never become popular in the rest of the world, however, as ear-chum tends to attract sharks.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 07:24:13 am »

Ear-chum. Isn't that the brown stuff that comes out of ears?

I used to have my walkman (yes, I'm that old  Wink) on max volume. Untill I got a new walkman with limited volume. It played the music on the requested volume, but tempered the loud parts. Quite annoying, so I turned the volume down to the level where the limit didn't distort.
AltheBiker
Gunner

Vroommmmm

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 01:37:11 pm »

Ear-Chum ! HaHaHa.

Will use that with my poshest voice  "I say, would you have possibly seen my ear-chums around ?"

Also the sound limitation issue is the reason I don't buy any Sony products. Because of various directives which are not law in the UK, Sony took it upon themselves to limit their products to these levels with no way to switch this off. The issue for myself is that I don't just use MP3 players for listening to with earphones - I use them in my car and with a separate sound system, the Sony ones are just far too quiet and therefore spend their time languishing in a drawer while the Samsungs get played all the time (knocking Apple stuff into a cocked hat by the way).
Al
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 01:43:56 pm »

Ear-Chum ! HaHaHa.

Will use that with my poshest voice  "I say, would you have possibly seen my ear-chums around ?"

Also the sound limitation issue is the reason I don't buy any Sony products. Because of various directives which are not law in the UK, Sony took it upon themselves to limit their products to these levels with no way to switch this off. The issue for myself is that I don't just use MP3 players for listening to with earphones - I use them in my car and with a separate sound system, the Sony ones are just far too quiet and therefore spend their time languishing in a drawer while the Samsungs get played all the time (knocking Apple stuff into a cocked hat by the way).
Al

I have a Sony MP3 walkman and it bugs the hell out of me that I can't get the volume loud enough to drown out external sound. I think when I get a new one I will go with a Samsung if they have a decent volume control.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: