The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 11:36:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for cheap pigment substitute for silicone rubber  (Read 7499 times)
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« on: April 25, 2013, 03:59:04 pm »

Following on from Matthias' thread about colouring resin, I'm here to ask for techniques to pigment additive cured silicone rubber. I could buy some pigment, but it's £8 for 25g and I just want to make a small amount red.

The additive is red and turns the rubber pink, so I want to add something to make it more red. I will most likely have to paint it afterwards to get the effect I want, but I'd like to get it as red as possible to start with.

(Edit - changes the thread title to be more descriptive)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 07:21:04 pm by IGetPwnedOften » Logged

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:58:06 pm »

Some paint stores have machines that dispense measured quantities of paint pigment for mixing paint to match catalog samples. You might be able to get a store to sell you a small amount of pigment from the dispenser for experimentation. I have used pigment from this source to color liquid latex.

Don't use untested pigment on any project until you have tried it with a small sample of rubber and confirmed that it will harden properly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: