The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 07:39:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inspired by the Galloping Geese post - some Steam Railroad Anachrony (pics)  (Read 2559 times)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:58:20 pm »

The Galloping Geese post got me digging through my collection of pics.
First off, though, I can answer the question of "what would happen if we tried this"
I'm a retired railroader with 33 years of railroad service under the belt, (and I have some steam experience, to boot)
If you tried to joyride the rials, there are a few shortcomings:
 - jail and or heavy fines - railroad trespass is a federal felony offense.
 - possible (probable) death or injury - This results usually from the fact that dispatchers and crews will not know you're there, and you will not be in the rails communication loop. The light at the end of the tunnel you just decided to explore is attached to the front of a 200 ton loco, attached to a 12,000 ton grain drag, all moving towards you at 40mph+.  Even nowadays, maintenance crews using the current equivalent of those geese (called Hi-Rail trucks) are protected by a dispatch order called a Track Occupancy Permit. No trains can use that track section, until the Maintenace folks are verified clear of it.
 On to the pics..

Some more track vehicles:

A hand powered track velocipede:
(preserved in Windsor Station, Montreal)

More converted autos, (supervisor and inspection vehicles)

And some of railroading's 'Dark Satanic Mills"

Hope you found those entertaining.. Also, any RR questions, fire away, will be glad to answer..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:05:42 pm »

My, my, my!  I can just see some dastardly villain making his escape on that velocipede; over-sized mustache wiggling in the wind...

The perspective in that first locomotive photo is really odd.  It make the engine look like it's at least twice as big a it should be...

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 08:16:59 pm »

Harold, got any pics of a 2-4-0 Crampton? I'm having the hardest time finding real pictures of French trains... we're trying to make one in a video game we're in.

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
egdinger
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 09:50:02 pm »

The perspective in that first locomotive photo is really odd.  It make the engine look like it's at least twice as big a it should be...

Thats because the train, err, body is suspended above the wheels, looks likes it on a crane or something. Cool pics none-the-less.

Do you know if it's the same penalty for tracks that have been abandoned and are no longer connected to the rest of the tracks?
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 09:59:51 pm »

Harold, those are incredible.

Can't wait to see some of the other stuff you have in that collection!

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 10:01:00 pm »

Yep.. in the first picture, the locmotive firebox/cab/boiler assembly is ready to be loweered back onto the frame/running gear.
As far as abandoned branches, the answer is "it depends" Some railroads continue to own the property, in which case the trespass laws still apply, even if the rails are removed.  Also, you need to consider that the right of way can  be a bit toxic, years of creosote  ties leave a fairly nasty residue in the soil, not to mention oil deposits from lube/fuel.
 In the best cases (at least here in Canada) some aboandoned lines have been cleaned up, and donated to the public as hiking/bicycling trails.
 Cheers
Harold
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 10:06:07 pm »

Harold, got any pics of a 2-4-0 Crampton? I'm having the hardest time finding real pictures of French trains... we're trying to make one in a video game we're in.

Only Crampton pics I can find online   ... (and there are very frew around)

Cheers
Harold
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:38:04 pm »

Thanks for the pics! I had never seen one in real life.  We have a rendered image of one. I'll post it later when I get home from work. (hope I remember to)
fixed_expression
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 12:05:59 am »

Man look at the picture of the guys posing on the velocipede...that's a fine example of some proud, upstanding moustaches. That's facial hair that looks you straight in the eye and says "Yea, it's a railway bicycle. You want to make something of it?" And you don't. You don't, because nobody wants to tangle with the kind of moustache that can make a velocipede look badass. That one guy riding it particularly; look at how quietly smug he is. Possibly the only man who could pull off that pose and look impressive. I think that guy is my new hero.

...anyway. This is a great collection of photos, thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to have to add these to the pile of steampunk reference material; do you have any more photos of trains being worked on? I love seeing machinery in the incomplete stages.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 12:34:20 am »

Found 4 more... That's about it, I think...
Cheers
Harold

Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 01:09:05 am »

Man look at the picture of the guys posing on the velocipede...that's a fine example of some proud, upstanding moustaches. That's facial hair that looks you straight in the eye and says "Yea, it's a railway bicycle. You want to make something of it?" And you don't. You don't, because nobody wants to tangle with the kind of moustache that can make a velocipede look badass. That one guy riding it particularly; look at how quietly smug he is. Possibly the only man who could pull off that pose and look impressive. I think that guy is my new hero.

That caused me to literally el oh el!  Thanks for the chuckle  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: