The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 11:06:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Progress City Case 3 Mexican Stand Off  (Read 30729 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #850 on: November 08, 2013, 06:50:00 am »

The Leopard limped in off the bay like a wounded orca, the spotter's mast and ship's funnel bent over in a way that further suggested that simile. "Lecroix Tower, we apologize for our low speed, I assure you we're making the best time possible." Every once in a while part or a piece of flaming debris would fall away from the slow-moving hulk, as the ships of the City closed in close about her like a motley honor guard.

Mikhail climbed into the pilot's seat and started up the main engines, the steam plants and their attendant dynamos huffing and screaming, respectively, to life. Grasping the piloting multitiller, he applied directional levers and added and augmented thrust with controls that seemed as smooth and effortless as Mallory had said. He shouted in admiration and joy as the ship arose almost as if it were an extension of the pilot himself, actually part of a body that he had not know until then that he possessed.

"Wot the bleedin' 'ell's that!" a crewman aboard the largest of the Lecroix battlewagons exclaimed, at roughly the same moment as he bridge crew. Up from the far side of town arose a golden vision of an airship, bristling with weapon emplacements. The crew aboard the Leopard were first nonplussed, then jubilant, and then guarded as they recalled the fate of their own Golden Fleece; thi snew ship was like a twin o ftheir beloved flagship,. only smaller.  

The Lecroix Tower controllers also saw the golden newcomer, and demanded that she identify herself.

"Lecroix Tower, this is Lecroix/Malone pocket battlecruiser Golden Gun, Justice Mikhail Fetch Lecroix as Captain," Fetch answered over the conveniently-located transceiver stalk to his left. "Request permission to approach and land at Lecroix Airdock, over." he reponded in a voice that suggested he was going to do so will they, nill they...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:49:23 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #851 on: November 09, 2013, 08:01:27 am »

Mallory fell naturally in to place at the forward artillery controls. "That one in the middle looks badly damaged."  Something about that ship called to her.  "Wait is that an outside ship?  Could that be the envoy from my family?"  She was rather not happy that if it was something had take quite a few large chunks out of it.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #852 on: November 10, 2013, 10:38:49 pm »

You're approved for landing Mr. Lecroix " Lecroix tower crackled back.  A second comm officer sent a pip to Lucretia letting her know.

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #853 on: November 12, 2013, 11:42:39 pm »

"'Leopard'" Fetch read off of the frigate's nose particulars, peering through the high-poered binoculars that sung down in front of his face at the flip of a lever. "The numbers indicate a 'Malone Syndicate Commerce Defense Vessel,' but give no specific fleet, and what I can see of her pennants adn what lights are left, she's a diplomatic packet, or purports to be. Did you know this Putney fellow's clan, do you think?"

"Roger that, Lecroix Tower," Fetch answered the hail, "Golden Gun, heading in for landing on Airship Stage Six, over." They swooped in and landed, more like a bird of prey than the lumbering dirigibles that her Lecroix opposite numbers were. They were met by a detail from the Control Tower to conduct them to the dock where the Leopard would be arriving shortly.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #854 on: November 13, 2013, 04:30:31 am »

"Sounds like it must be him but what happened to the ship? I didn't think anyone was crazy enough to mess with things in Progress City airspace." Mallory frowned Sam had been different he had looked innocent and snuck in but a direct attack?  Wouldn't they have been obliterated?  She felt as if they should have been.

Lucretia checked her hair to make sure it was perfect and looked over Dee.  "Well love it looks like it is show time. Lets go show them how we run things here."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #855 on: November 15, 2013, 06:38:53 am »

Fetch saw Lucretia's and Dee's approach, and nodded in greeting, slipping an arm around Mallory's waist. "Well, we're here. Sorry for the surprise, but Justice resources are already mostly committed to the defensive muster, and Golden Gun needed a shakedown, so, we used her. And, I just can't resist doing something that makes Mal smile and be happy, he thought to himself. "Any idea why they asked for us specifically?"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:17:32 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #856 on: November 15, 2013, 07:20:56 am »

Lucretia looked both Una and Fetch and wished that were a bit more impressive but at least Una looked to be useing the makeup they had bought.  "It is because your little Romeo and Juliet story has become a legend and that legend  gives you a place to start."

"So this is how we start to rebuild?" Mallory asked.

Lucretia smiled. Finally the girl was getting it. "It is a better place then most. Besides most of them just want to see if you are real."

Mallory frowned. "Of course I am real!"

"Well yes but this is Progress city anything is possible." Lucretia said with a smile.

"i suppose."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #857 on: November 15, 2013, 07:57:44 am »

"Whereas someone like myself could be termed 'un-real,' or perhaps 'sur-real,' so to speak," a voice with a slightly metallic, echoing sound to it said , as Simmers Wellenhott  and his new partner, the Emerald Doctor's former sentry-clown automaton Bullock Unit, approached from the nearby grand staircase. Bullock's footfalls made very little sound on the thick carpeting that fronted teh staircase landing, but when he crossed over to the polished wooden flooring of teh platform, the THUD of his steps vibrated the entire platform, as the logic and reasoning gear arrays whirred and clicked madly away in his chest. A faint glow came from his eyes, but otherwise he at least looked the part of an impressively-tall, rather angularly-faced but otherwise normal man; the reconstruction in leather, rubber and steel of his head and face, as well as the other parts that normally showed outside of a well-dressed man's clothing, was well-executed. Evidently the pair had used all of their reward money from the recent debacle for the purpose. The result was stunning, especially in the dapper, tasteful (albeit necessarily huge) pinstripe suit that he wore. He laughed at his own joke, a basso, rather macabre sound that would not have been out of place in a carnival's haunted house.

Simmers nudged Bullock, who ducked his head an nodded apologetically, tugging the broad brim of his Homburg fedora; a remarkably human gesture. Wellenhott addressed the android in a level of sotto voce that could barely be made out by the others assembled on the platform, "I toldja, everybody's different, an' it's all right ta be such, but you oughta fix that laugh, it's annoyin'," he whispered solicitously to his partner. To the others he said in a normal voice, "Looks like me'n Bull, here, ain't as late as we feared. All for a rebuild, we are, ain't we Bull?" He craned his head around to look past Mikhail and Mallory in response to a middle-distant sound of chuffing, irritating humming and the occasional small crack of buoyancy units failing and bursting apart. "Izzat th' shot-up Malone ship comin' in now?" He jutted his chin at the smoking, smoldering ruin that slowly eased under the arching ceiling far overhead and finally settled down with a multiply-horrific, CRUNCHing thump that rattled the airdock; the ship's main buoyancy arrays had finally given out, and even though her crew raced to turn then off, still they spewed fire, sparks and red-hot parts all over the floor of the the landing berth as she settled, or rather collapsed down to rest, like an exhausted, mortally wounded beast of prey.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:45:35 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #858 on: November 16, 2013, 06:27:27 am »

"The fire suppression teams better get a move on if they want to get paid." Lucretia muttered and mentally started making a list for new staff in her head.

Mallory found Bullock some how very comforting.  There was a sort of pulse coming from him that made her relaxed. The fire was a bit of a shot after that. "Fetch are they ok? Do we need to go save them?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #859 on: November 16, 2013, 06:49:28 am »

"It might not be a bad idea, judging by how slow the fireteams are. These kinds of ships depend on the suspension fields provided by their bouyancy mills to maintain skin tension and thus avoid breaking apart; that's why that liner over there," he nodded at a purple-hulled hulk resting in its workover cradle, "is sitting in a cradle. They're working on her arrays while she's in port. OK if we dive in?" He asked Dee and Lucretia.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #860 on: November 16, 2013, 07:18:38 am »

"What ever you can do to stop it from igniting my possible business parters in fine"  The fire team shook the floor with their walking fire rig that nearly fell over when the water cannon was fired.  The ceiling was very damp but the ship was still burning.  Lucretia fought the urge to hide her face in her hand.  "Damn it I told them not to use that thing until they had more testing done."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #861 on: November 16, 2013, 07:28:18 am »

"Bullock? can you withstand heat and water? We could use some muscle with the firewalker." Fetch called over to the automaton.

"I can handle most anything; His Emerald Magnificence designed me to be durable as well as personable," he replied.

"Good, grab that firehose over there, and bring that rubber steam line, just unscrew it from the valve." When Bullock was ready, he asked Una, "You want to come too? We could probably use some mechanism empathy, maybe you can tell the arrays to not blow up or th' walker to stand stronger or something. Bound to be a whole host of help you can give. How 'bout it?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #862 on: November 17, 2013, 02:38:50 am »

"I had better come with you. I have waited a long time to meet my family." Mallory frowned she wanted to know who had attacked them.  The fire rig stumbled as it tried to ready the cannon to fire. Mallory listened and shook her head. "That things knees are all wrong. One of the couplings is backwards."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #863 on: November 18, 2013, 07:51:26 am »

Fetch looked at the thing's legs. "Could you tell it to brace itself with the backwards joint locked instead of flexed?" he asked Una. "I'll be right back."

He shifted to a plane where he could see into the joint and touch it inside, and turned the components of the joint a certain way, then flashed back to the real and told Bullock to tie the rubber stem line to the tow shackle on the front of the machine.

"Now, keep your head down and keep the line taut," he said, and directed the fire team to fire another salvo. "Aim for that trumpet-shaped airshaft funnel on the port side, there." The fire captain looked at him blankly, and Fetch grabbed his shoulder, and pointed out the target. "That thing, there. Got it?"

"Y-yessir!"

"Good. now, let 'er rip!"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #864 on: November 18, 2013, 08:17:28 am »

Much to her surprise Una found the fire rig eager to please as a puppy. It positively bounced as the water cannon fired. There was a sizzling as the water met metal and steam billowed out. Heat rolled with it and soon the hanger was like a sweltering summer day. Una heard something above the his and ran forward. "No you can't. I wont let you." And she called to deep inside the ship trying to stop the reaction.  "We have to hit the transformer block and short it before it explodes."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #865 on: November 19, 2013, 12:06:46 am »

Dee couldn't help but chuckle at the bad comedy playing out with his fire response team. "Dad Always did hire the cheapest sonSofbitches he could find. Think i'm Gonna have to shoot one of them as an example." he Stood quietly behind lucretia, eclipsing her with his bulk as he watched thoughtfull, his hands resting lightly on her hips. This was gonna be about as fun as pulling teeth...his own, not someone else's. That was actually fun.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #866 on: November 19, 2013, 02:11:09 am »

"I should have never let him hire on any damn one." Lucretia said with a sigh. "You should have seen the canteen before I took it over."  The ship shuddered and a wave of heat rolled out.  "I hope this dammed thing don't explode. I really don't want to rebuild again."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #867 on: November 19, 2013, 06:33:55 am »

Fetch fought to think; it was difficult, what with multiple deck fires still alternately smouldering or bursting suddently to life again. With a mental start, however, he realized that if the Leopard was like most ships of her type, the main transformer's destabilized field might actually be causing many or most of the fires. He concentrated, and finally shifted to an adjacent universe from which he could view the ship's innards. He shifted back, and opened a sort of crack between the planes, and directed the water cannon to fire a long, heavy salvo such that it flooded first the crack, and then the engineering section, submerging the main transformer's pole connectors. there were multiple flashes of sheet lightning both within and without tyhe ship, and then teh Leopard laty quiet, her various blazes suddenly dying out one by one.

There wasd no time for diswciplinaryu shootings or accolades, however, as a man in a somewhat singed, but still neat, pressed and obviouskly expensive suit in a quasi-military cut, top hat in hand, appeared at the damaged rail of teh stricken frigate as the gang way. Fetch nodded to Mallory, taking her hand, and shifted them to the platform once again.

"Messires Darren and Mikhail? or is it ...Fetch? And you must be Mallory, you look much the same as your portrait, I cannot fathom how..." The dapper, though slightly singed, corporate diplomat said.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #868 on: November 19, 2013, 07:26:16 am »

Una smiled shyly. "The bluelight makes the years kind. What happened to the ship? It looks worse for wear." 
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #869 on: November 19, 2013, 03:21:37 pm »

"I could probably piss on it if that would help" Dee chuckled
."when this is over we seriously need to do a major hiring drive for something other than mercs.  "
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #870 on: November 19, 2013, 06:14:31 pm »

"Not to mention workers to make and distribute our new laz line." She smiled as the rather worse for wear Malone representative came over.  "Welcome to the city Mr Malone. I hope your stay is more pleasant than you arrival."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #871 on: November 20, 2013, 01:54:12 am »

"Brimford Malone, at your service Miss. Most folks just call me 'Brim.' he answered Una. "It seems a certain Mexican warship, name of CockaTriz, has taken a dislike to us and to international law," he replied to Una.
"Thank, you, Miss... Lucretia, I presume? Putney, god rest his soul, knew there would be opposition to the merger. He just didn't expect it to be from outside the company," Brim replied to Lucretia.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:00:21 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #872 on: November 20, 2013, 07:47:25 am »

"Believe me Sir we had not been expecting it either.  We have had some trouble coming from down south but nothing like this.  Someone wants to strike at us before we stabilise as a joined force." Lucretia was not happy at the boldness of this attack.

"I want to stop them as well Brim. I want my family back in the manor and us working along side the Le Crox family just has we should have all those years before." Una looked determined but realy she was a little nervous to reconnect with her past.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #873 on: November 20, 2013, 09:04:47 pm »

The young man was desperate to escape; several times he had tried to exit the ship at the same moment that an array or two blew themselves to flinders, but someone had always stopped him from jumping, convinced that they were saving him from falling overboard. With the final flooding of the engine room, he finally saw a clear chance. He hid by one of the bilge purge intakes, which were used when expelling cloud moisture taken on as ballast in-flight; they wold be open when the engine room was to be drained. he found the Purge handle to be within reach, and pulled it. He was sucked under by the powerful energy of draining water, and found himself washed outside, swept up under the edge of the platform, hidden by the overhang.

Back aboard, teh Chief Engineer's mate (the Chief E having been electrocuted by the Main transformer's antics several hours before) was shouting and swearing at "Th' bloody imbecile who opened that valve!"

A maintenance hatch stood close by, and it was a simple matter for the young man to open it and duck in before (hopefully) he was seen by anyone above or aboard. He stood, panting form the effort and the sweet and wonderful sensation of oil-and-soot-soaked air replenishing his lungs after being effectively dunked and his breath driven out by the bilge purge experience. He waited for the hue and cry to begin; after several minutes, he began to believe that he had escaped. Mission accomplished, messy though it had been...
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #874 on: November 21, 2013, 04:16:04 pm »

Dee shook the man's hand and said "Welcome to Progress. Im Darren LeCroix. Folks call me Dee. We have a lot to discuss Mister Malone." The response team was beginning their clean up and evactuation process on the downed airship. "Lets head inside before i shoot one of these fools. Ive got a 21year old bottle back in my conference room thats callimg my name. " he hooked his arm politely in Lucretias and lead the procession inside.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: