The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 09:20:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Progress City Case 3 Mexican Stand Off  (Read 30722 times)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2013, 05:08:53 pm »

Chief Thigpen was currently wishing the city had approved her plan to add metal blast shields to most of the outdoor windows.  She knew what these things were and locus drones were bad news.  They had a painful paralysing sting and when crushed the venom mixed with a fluid sac and became an acid that could eat holes in stone.  She had alerted the outlying heavy squads but it would be a while until they could have the sound cannons that would destroy the targeting system of the little bastards ready to fire so for now they were on their own.

Una ran for it trying to get something between her and the black menace that was trying to chew it's way in to the building. She was scared of the creatures and how vulnerable she was.  Once the window was breeched the room filled with drones drawn to the lingering sent the blue light left on it's victims. The medical bay was lucky it had some very strong metal walls to protect prisoners that needed treatment but they could hear things in the ducting trying desperately trying to get in and the suit pilots were howling in fear at the sound.

Christian's cell block was so thick with them pouring in from above the suppression team could not tell if he was inside at all until they blasted ahead and nearly fell in to the hole on the floor. They sent up an alarm for every justice to be on the look out for a thick cloud of drones because Christian was sure to be in the thick of it. Christian himself was running a mad dash for the evidence lockers.  He was fairly sure the only way he could report to his uncle and not get shot was if he had the orb.

Jessica was tearing through the garage like a madwoman looking for her blasters.  She had been issued them but had never used them outside of the firing range.  "Here we go!" She shouted finding her gun belt and blasting the hell out of a drone near Will.  "Do we try and find our squad or should we make a stand here?"

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2013, 07:23:34 pm »

picking himself up from the ground, Dee used the opportunity to slip out of his cell, smashing a guard over the head as he did and stealing his sidearm. It seemed like everyone was busy with the MK IV drones to notice him as he quietly slipped into an office and out a second story window. He knew the drones were there for Christian, not him, so he wasn't particularly worried about them, still he kept a weary eye out. He had some vengeance to distribute, and he didn't feel like sticking around and explaining he was one of Le Croix's former employees. First things first, get out of his cuffs, find some clothes, find his next fix, and kill a lot of people. He had a busy night ahead of him.

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:35 pm »

"Thanks!" Will shouted as he smashed another one of the thing's heads. The downed critters began to ooze a sizzling liquid as they lay upon the ground, and began to fall apart as they dissolved their own parts and the ground beneath them gave way smokily to the insanely-strong acid. He remembered that the best weapon against them was sound of a certain frequency, and also that he had refilled the oil reservoir before getting under his bike to install the pressure hose, which was now finished,. "I meant to test Bernice before a run, but no time like the present, is there?"

He lunged to one side, grabbing Jessica's hand and yanking her out of the way of a knot of drones that were about to fall upon her from above, and hit both the oil feed and the striker levers simultaneously, causing the flame to leap to life as he then spun the flywheel, the attached belt spinning a somewhat smaller wheel on the burner blower. a sound like a hundred tiny hammers beating on the inside of the bike's boiler started up and soon the blower wheel was spinning under its own impetus and the unit began to superpressure the Steam dome. "I suggest we get to the storage bays over there's quick as possible, " he said. Bernice is ready to go..." the needle on the pressure indicator swung into the green and then the golden zone just as he glanced over "...now. I'll drive, do you think you can ride on the rear cushion?" He asked as they alternately blasted and swatted down more drones. "we'll need some rear guard action." the floor was beginning to sizzle in hundreds of places, now. Will made as if to climb to the pilot's seat of the highboy.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2013, 11:22:09 pm »

"I have your back." She said leaping on to the seat and blasing two more drones.  "What are these things?"  Jessia said trying tokeep the blasted bodies from touching her.

Una screamed as one of the drones stung her in the arm. It burned like fire and it was all she could do to keep moving..  she had no clue where she was and ducked down the wrong hall ending up at a dead end.  She found an offcer on the floor that had made the same mistake.  He had been stung a few times and couldent move .  Una took his gun and blasted away at the approching swarm.  It was simpleand she found herself shooting one after another like she was born to do it.  It was looking like she would beat them backuntil the celing opened up and more drones fell like rain.  Una screamed as they closed in.  She had no way out.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2013, 06:29:50 am »

will eased the throttle open at the same time as he kicked against the mounting block that Bernice had been propped up next to. The kickstand folded up like normal, erecting the small running wheel on its end. AS Will got the machine going faster and accelerated the bike, starting the gyroscopic action inherent to all cycles, the wheel also lifted and Bernice shot forward as Will activated the overdrive train, and they left their pursuers behind -- only to plow into a=nother clot of drones, scattering most but requiring them to neutralize six others, of which Will managed to shoot two and ruin down the third.he grabbed the resting pole from its socket on the right forkmember of the big wheel, using it's shepherd's crook-like hook to snag the overhead handle of the locker door as he side-slid and cut the throttle and hit the coaster brake, the door slamming down and closing them safely be hing a barrier of solid 1/4 inch steel sheeting; the storage lockers had actually been the first holding cells for mechanical monsters back in the day, and were built accordingly; nothing could get in or out easily if they were not familiar with their workings. the door reverberated with booms, rattles;es and bangs as the drones threw themselves uselessly against it. "well, we're safe, for now, at least, " Will said, lowering the kickstand once again as he held his left hand against the wall. with Bernice propped up properly, he climbed down, offering his hand to Jessica. "M'lady? allow me..."

----------
The Suppression teams finally got their acts together and went about with their sound guns, blasting away and neutralizing the drones. One suppressor had a bright idea and grabbed the PA handset, and aimed his weapon at the mic, pulling the trigger as he turned the system volume up all the way. People all over the building held their heads and ears, and then began to cheer as the drones began to self-destruct all over the building Trapper and Luke had been smashing their way through to Emma, following her screams and the sounds of amazingly measured and expert-seeming blaster fire. Trapper's 'hawk shattered the steel-and-ceramic spine of the one closest to Una just as its fellows began to blow themselves apart. He offered his hand to Una as Luke stared around goggle eyed at the drones self-inflicted carnage in the light of the arc bulbs overhead, surprise limning his angelic face, he suddenly looked almost feminine in his utter surprise, showing exactly why he and his brother had so successfully bilked so many would-be vice offenders. It was an odd sort of beauty, what with the scratches and  blood and dark oil lubricant coating his clothes and person, but it was there nonetheless.

"Miss, Una, my apologies," Trapper said as he held out his hand to the young woman. "I think we're safe now, or at least we're not being attacked any longer."

"Call the chief, Luke," Trapper said, "and make sure she's all right. If there's no answer, order a detail up to the Office to check things out."

A degree of anger and outrage was creeping into trapper's head, now. He would see that worm Christian pay for his crimes, he most surely would."Communique to Constable Lieutenant non Trappe," his belt aetherset squawked

"von Trappe here. "

"Sir, your team's evidence has been stolen by the drone swarm. We think prisoner LeCroix made it out just before the drones began destructing; we can't find him or that blue ball anywhere..."

"DAMN!" Trapper cursed.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2013, 07:09:19 am »

"Thanks." Jessica said taking in a breath. This had been one hell of a night.  "I hope those little bastards don't melt too much of my garage."

Una got up shaking a bit cradling her arm. There was a welt the size of sliver dollar where she had been stung. She set the blaster by the justice she had taken it from.  Una looked at Luke worried.  "Am I going to be all right?" She was hoping they would not punish her for running. The ways they had punished the monsters were bloody and horrible.  "I took his gun and tried to keep both of us safe but there were too many."

"Von Trappe half my office is melted and they destroyed my dammed desk!" The chief was not pleased. "How are things down there?  Are the witnesses all right?"  She was lucky that the com unit had not been melted as well.

steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2013, 07:13:12 am »

Moving quietly with all the experience of long years of skulking about in the dark doing one job or another for the cartel, Dee moved on catlike feet as he made his way through the alleys and along the back roads. Soon enough he came to an small metal shop and slipped inside through a window. Inside were a series of metal working tools he wasn't familiar with but eventually he found the one he knew. A small grinding wheel made short work of the cuffs, despite the 1st degree burns he received it didn't matter, he was free.

Stealing a pair of greasy overalls that said "Marc" on the name tag, Dee used a small razor used to scrape cut hoses and lines to shave his head and trim his big bushy beard into something more respectable looking and remove the name tag, shoving it in his pocket next to the pistol. He'd find a proper barber later. Smearing grease and dirt on his face and hands, he checked himself over in a mirror and moved on.

Slipping out the window he'd come through, Dee made his way calmly down the street with a minor faked limp.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2013, 08:06:30 am »

The thug watched the utter chaos engulf the building hoping to learn how to best attack it and much to his surprise he saw the thing he wanted running out with his old boss.  Talk about two birds with one stone.  He fell in to line and followed Christian all the way back to the current headquarters of the LeCroix family.  It was a scam company running under the name Vita-grow that peddled cures for everything under the sun.  Christian neatened himself up and waited for his uncle sure all was forgiven and tried to hit on the pretty Italian secretary. 

"Mr. LeCroix will see you now." Lucretia said glad that Christian was out of her hair for the moment.

Christian walked in with a bit of a strut orb under his arm and placed it on his uncle's desk. "Uncle Albert it took a lot but look what I have brought back to you."

Uncle Albert did not look pleased.  "You are an idiot. I handed you the most profitable sector of our business and you just about ran it in to the ground and then you come in here with a damaged control orb and expect me to be happy!  You don't have the universal nuclide accelerator so this is useless to me."  He hurled the orb at Christian in a rage.  "You are dammed lucky I love your mother or you would end up bobbing in the west bay." Albert bellowed.  "Now you get me the god dammed part you lost or so help me god I will have you under the blue light and canned by sunday."

Christian ran from the room like the devil himself was after him and the thug followed. The secretary smiled as he retreated like the coward he was, Lucretia was an information broker, it was a grand tradition in her family stretching back as far as anyone could remember and Progress City was a perfect place to ply her trade.  And this particular bit of information was worth a pretty penny to the right buyer.   
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2013, 08:26:53 am »

Trapper keyed the transceiver button on his belt and the mic mounted on his vest picked up the sound of his voice, complete with a razor's edge of anger and frustration. "My duty to report, Bluelight victim Una is still on site and has defended herself honorably with a borrowed blaster. Bluelight victim Dee escaped in the confusion, knocking out a Bull guard and taking his weapon. Current  intel suggests that he made a clean getaway."

"Evidence Control reports that Christian escaped with the swarm, carrying the control orb. Justice Luke is with me, Justice Fetch is downstairs aiding and heading up suppression, Justices Will and Jessica, whereabouts unknown; Will said he was going down to work on his bike, and Jessica was last seen leaving the showers after bathing and performing her toilette."

"As of this moment, it looks as though Christian's rescue was the true purpose of the drone attack. teh lockups, exterior windows and interior infrastructire are all affected, som edestroyed. Talk about overkill. "
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2013, 03:43:49 pm »

"Damn the Le Croix to hell." Agnes muttered "And of course we won't be able to get a real crew to rebuild it today. It is the Friday before founders day, half the city is already off work.  We will be lucky to have the exterior holes patched before next monday."  The chief was pacing in the ruins of her office.  "Keep Bluelight victim Una close until we can be sure her floor will be safe. If she didn't run off with Dee I think we can trust her.  That girl needs a stable place and we are going to have to give her a bodyguard.  If Christian went to these lengths to escape you can bet he wont let a witness survive.  Take your team down to the garage, stay together in case anyone else gets the idea to attack.  I have hazard crews cleaning out the little bastards.  They also have anti venom if any of your crew has been stung.  This is going to be a very long day justice Trapper."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #185 on: May 31, 2013, 01:23:40 am »

Using a public phone Dee made a quick phone call to sn exclusive number.  The feminine voice on the other end made him smile "Lucretia my beautiful darling hows things on your end babygirl? "
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2013, 01:31:07 am »

"It has been a long time Dee.  I thought for sure someone had taken fatel offence at you but then again you have a funny way of avoiding the reeper." She lauged thick and sweet like honey.  "If you are callling me I take it your last post did not work our so well."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #187 on: June 01, 2013, 05:54:03 pm »

"Yah you could say that..got some bad Intel and ended up killing one of Al's boys by mistake. " I need a sitrep on the situation on that end of things and your the pnly one not after my head.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2013, 08:51:51 pm »

"My sounds like you are having a grand time." Lucretia smiled.  Dee was many things but boring was not one of them.  "Well I have some choice morsals if you have somthing good to offer."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #189 on: June 01, 2013, 09:05:54 pm »

Covering the mouthpiece so she wouldn't hear him sigh in exasperation at her mercenary little heart, Dee counted slowly to 10 and said "how bout my usual fee and a steak dinner?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #190 on: June 01, 2013, 10:54:20 pm »

"We have a deal. How about you meet me at 6?  I think I have a way for you to have a go at your former boss.  He lost part of the machine that makes the Laz drug that is so hot right now.  His empire is in danger." Lucretia was not at all happy with her paltry Secretarys day gift and this was a rather nice way to get back at her boss.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:12:38 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2013, 03:47:31 am »

"Justice Trapper." Trapper muttered under his breath as he gave orders and got everyone started downstairs. Well, it could be worse, if she were ticked at me over this, it'd be 'lieutenant' and a verbal whipcrack.

von Trappe managed to find a Suppression team with antivenin equipment, and got the members of his crew that he could find together, along with the other personnel on the floor they occupied at the moment, and managed to get everyone treated. When the wounds and various hurts had been addressed and seen to, he turned to Una and said, "Miss Una, I am sorry, but we must go downstairs to the Garage area now; this area here is no longer safe and cannot be made safe enough to keep you out of harms way until repairs are made. I am to assign you a permanent bodyguard. Fetch?" The ninjalike Justice had returned with the suppression team that had the antivenin setup, and was wearing a set of borrowed black steelresin power armor, his swords strapped onto the back of the massive breastplate. "Take charge of Miss Una, will you? I know, I know, you're supposed to be my bodyguard, but her life is a thousand times more important than mine right now, got it?

"If you say so, Mister von Trappe, Fetch said, hesitantly. Fetch intoned to Una, "This way, if you please, miss. Please do not be afraid, the Garage is the oldest and best-fortified part of the station; it's lockers are where we used to keep captured monsters and automatons. As long as the lockers' and the garage's main doors are closed and the defensive gun emplacements are activated, even those drones won't be able to get in." He chose not to mention that the gun emplacements had been deactivated just six months before, and that while they were now in full operation, they had not been during the attack. Fetch tended toward a degree of literality of mind and was a bit of an odd bird, but he did have a sense of tact and a full set of human characteristics, along with his arcane ones.  

Traffic on the aether headsets spoke of all units removing to the garage area and setting up HQ and operations there, as well as transferring lockups to the garage basement area.

A message came over the aether. "Lieutenant von Trappe, Justices Jessica and Will have been found, alive and well, in Number Six Storage Locker; apparently Justice Will ran both of them in there on his highboy. .. What?! Just a minute, sir." The connection clicked off, and then back on again. "Sir, sorry about that. seems there's some question about a set of skid marks. Sorry to trouble you with such trivialities. Garage -- er, Main Comm out."

Trapper pushed and shoved his way to the center of the crown in the floor's lobby, where everyone had gathered to get treated and form up. "OK, people!" he bellowed good-naturedly, "Skeleton guard, stay here, monitor every bloody thing and call in if any bloody thing gets iffy! Everybody else, move out, and stay off the lifts! Move out! Let's GO, people! Fetch, bring Miss Una. Protect her with your life, even after you die, got it?"

"Yes, Sir!"

"Good. Git!"

He keyed the Garage, now Main Communications. "This is von Trappe, I'm coming down with Guest number one, my team minus Justices Jessica and William, and approximately one hundred sixty effectives, fifty wounded, and three dead. Please have my team's power armor suits ready, as well as as many beat suits as possible. I plan to field some heavy perimeter  patrols."

"Roger that, Lieutenant von Trappe."

He keyed the Chief's personal comm. "Chief, this is von Trappe, we are removing to the garage area." He repeated his plans for perimeter patrols. "Until we get the surveillance back up, my thinking is that the patrols will be our eyes and ears, and advance defense as well. May I assume you want the regular beat patrols as well, ma'am?"
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:17:15 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2013, 05:35:03 am »

God she had a migraine from dealing with the few contractors still working.  "Yes and I will be joining you soon.  Apparently my office is not fit for habitation."  There was a edge in her voice saying that the person responsible for that was in for a very bad day when she found them.  Her office was the heart of her little kingdom and her oak desk had been her pride and joy.  Lumber was expensive on the island because they had so few trees and that desk was a very large slab and now it was burned and the decorative metal was deformed and melted. Someone would pay for this.

Una stuck to Fetch like glue.  She was unsure around all these new people and going down to the garage was a little too much like her cell. "They aren't going to lock us up are they?"  She did not like that idea at all.  In fact it made her nervous.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2013, 07:19:56 pm »

Dee made quick arrangements as to where to meet and hung up. He needed new clothes andva good shower. His current attire was enough to throw off anyone who'd been looking fpr him right off the bat and now that he was sure it was safe he needed to make a bank withdrawal
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2013, 10:42:41 pm »

Fetch actually chuckled. "I don't think they will lock us up, but accommodations for protective custody will probably seem a bit spare until we can get your room fixed, or find another that is not damaged," he answered. "you will be guarded, I promise you that. It might entail a locked door, but for all that we will be watching over you, you will not be a prisoner, and after we have the medics examine your sting wound and make sure you have no other hurts, you will be free to nap or read," he produced several books that he had snagged while helping to sweep the Library for threats, "or do whatever else you wish, as long as one or more of us accompanies you.  I strongly suggest that you read these books, and postpone a library or records hall trip until we have those areas fully secured and their defenses at least partially repaired and upgraded.You are not a prisoner, and you are certainly not going to be subjected to Bluelight if I have anything to say about it." He wondered if they should issue the girl a blaster of her own; she had seemed unusually competent with one. He decided to ask Trapper about it later, while the girl slept or read.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:07:43 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #195 on: June 03, 2013, 04:29:12 am »

Lucretia bid good evening to her boss reminding him the secretarial union would only allow so much overtime then breezing out.  Dinner with clients required a certain level of primping and dinner with Dee more so.  That little black dress did magic for her especially with her dark hair up in a bun with tendrils hanging down. Oh tonight was going to be fun.

Una let out a breath she had not realised she was holding.  He had cheated death before and now he was beside her.  There had been another like that for a while someone that looked at her as more than a test subject.  He was a lowly janitor but he would talk to her and when they found out they had... She shuddered not wanting to remember his screams.  Una almost didn't notice the anti-venom shot because they used to inject her with all sorts of things.  The angry welt on her skin lost its heat and started to fade. She smiled as they bandaged it carefully and told her how to take care of it.  The techs had never talked to her, about her but never to her and they treated Fetch with respect.  If she was tank grown they would treat her the same and that was oddly comforting.  

The garage was full of people flowing in and out with information and weapons like ants.  Una found it all a bit overwhelming and stayed near the outskirts of the crowd.  She found a bench where she could sit with her back to the wall and that made her feel safe and opened one of the books.  Una yawned, her body was getting used to not being under the blue light and her energy reserves were still small.  Fetch could see part of the reason she must have survived the soul sucker as she determinately read page after page while half nodding off.  She was a stubborn one.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:19:58 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #196 on: June 03, 2013, 05:16:53 am »

Working for the cartel had left Dee fairly well off and after a quick trip to the bank he visited a bath house the barber and his personal tailor as well as a local small time arms dealer, all of which je knew were free from the extortion of the le croix. On the way to the tailor and barber he'd made a note of the most common hair styles and clothing and so that now absolutely nothing stuck out about him other than the fact that his clothes fit his large bulk better than most despite the fact his pocket had a large hole n the lining.he'd have blended in any crowd eloquently.   A large bore over/under scattergun cut down to the size of a large handgun with flared barrels was clipped to his belt via a Bridgeport rig at an angle that was completely covered by his knee length coat. The blaster he'd taken from the bull was gone so it couldn't be traced and had been replaced by a competition match grade target pistol that had been amped up at the cost of fewer available shots.  Stepping into the restaurant he faded into a back corner where he could see the doorn
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2013, 05:28:32 am »

Lucretia made quite sure to always be a few moments late.  Never enough to make a client angry but enough to make an entrance and she was in rare form tonight with a black little number that was respectable length but clingy in all the right places, a sparkling band in her hair like a princess and some high-heeled black boots she made heads turn all along the line as she walked.  "You clean up nice." She said with a smile.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2013, 07:12:40 am »

"As do you." He replied with his signature crooked smile.  He wasn't about to admit she was absolutelystunning. Not yey anyway.  Hecouldnt let her know how she stirred his blood till after he'd gotten the information.  Pulling out the seat next tp his he gestured for her tp sit.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2013, 03:47:55 pm »

She sat and ordered and the rather distracted waiter had to be told three times what her order was.  As the food was being set out Lucretia smiled and made sure to let the waiter know they wished to be left alone.  "Some interesting things have happened since you have been gone.  You know how there were always rumours that the Laz you were selling on the street was cut with something else? Well I think it is true.  I saw the raw product and what you were peddling was only a tenth of what that stuff can do."  Laz was known for making people feel stronger and faster along with occasionally giving them very realistic dreams but here had always been rumours of a stronger form that actually made you healthier instead of just feeling that way.  "The boss was stabbed when a meeting went bad a few weeks ago.  I stopped the blood flow but he should have died.  The med tecs gave him a shot they claimed was for shock but I saw the spot he was cut the next day and it was gone like nothing had ever happened."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: