The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 07:52:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Progress City Case 3 Mexican Stand Off  (Read 31236 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2013, 01:50:38 am »

Fetch and luke waited outside the room for Trapper to finish with Una. They had been requested by the burly older Justice to come along and "be there," as he put it. They surmised it was in the nature of a training exercise, so they listened as best they could along with the surveillance guards. Soon they'd go along with Trappe rto interview Mr. John Dee.

"I'm sure we can get you any books you'd like to see, Miss Una, as long as they're in the stacks when we go to find them," he said, "but we need to be able to protect you while you're with us," Trapper continued. "It might be best for a few days if you could stay here and let us bring them to you; I suspect you're rather important to the opposition, so they might use some rather nasty methods to get you back if they see you out of doors." Founder's Day'd be a real problem for protective security out in those crowds, Trapper mused apprehensively to himself.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2013, 03:21:45 am »

Una laughed. "I am used to staying still Mr Trapper.  This is far nicer than where I was and none of your people are going to cut me open and try to graft things to me.  I want to start with the city.  I need to know how it works if I am going to live here.  Also those doctors told me that you could track me by finger marks.  I would like you to do that if you can."

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2013, 07:16:42 am »

Feeling his arms tingle from the nicotine rush, Dee slowly began to calm his mind. Drawing his feet together, as best as his bowlegged stature, caused by years of riding, allowed he brought his fists, turned upward to waist level and slowly exhaled the last of the smoke. Sliding his feet apart to shoulder width, he began a simple but basic routine. He didn't try to fool himself, he was no martial artist just a man with a history of violence but the Kata helped relax him. He had picked it up from a friend in the cartel who'd explained the purpose of it and the principle of muscle memory. Not impressed by the flashy spinny high kicks his friend practiced, Dee's own particular style, if it could even be called that, was simple, direct and brutal. Drawn heavily from experience in back alley brawls and muggings, it lacked any style, or panache, it was straight forward and to the point, built around the concept of all that ever mattered to Dee was going home at the end of the night and having a beer, maybe even cuddle with his cat, if Her Majesty wasn't busy, before he passed out from copious amounts of alcohol.   

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2013, 11:29:23 am »

Will finished up the paperwork duties, and went up to the Protective Custody apartments. He checked on Una, and found that Trapper and his brother and Fetch were in the room with her; by means of the remote mirror observation system, he could see that they seemed to all be getting on well. He asked the guard on duty to switch to Dee's room. "Huh, what's he doing?" Will thought aloud.

"looks like some of the kinda exercises they teach the Assassination Branch. I got a cousin in there, there's all dis chinee-soundin' names for things in there."

"looks a little daft to me, but then again, the Chinese have some pretty effective fighters, so maybe there's something to it all," Will answered. HE checked the Visitation Schedule and found that they were also due to visit Dee. "be sure and tell 'em about what Dee was doing," he said to the guard. "Probably it'll amount to nothing, but it might be something on the other hand."

He left and went down to the Garage to work on his Cycle, which he had christened Bernice. A steam-converted penny farthing with a gigantically-large front wheel and a broad rectangular parasol canopy of white cotton duck, it was fast and stingy on fuel and water -- when it was running. Secretly, he hoped he'd run into Jessica, but one could never tell. "No sign of her," he muttered. "ah, well, better get this pressure supply ;line fixed up." he set to work and was soon engrossed in the task at hand.
-------------------
Trapper reached into the bedside table and withdrew a thin writing tablet and pencil. "Write me down some of the titles you'd like to read, or subjects you'd like to see titles in, and I'll see what's available and have it brought to you," he said as he handed them to Una. "It'll also serve as a sample of your handwriting for our graphologists to examine. It might give us some idea where or how or by whom you might have been educated, which might give us an early lead toward your identity." He hemmed and hawed a bit, then added apologetically, "It's not an exact science, though, so don't be surprised if it also generates a lot more questions."

"I will begin looking for your number in the Hall's Records section also, Miss Una," Fetch said. "Also a bit of a long shot this early, but you never know. Perhaps you can come with me on a later day and we can search them together?"

Luke raised one eyebrow a bit. Was Fetch making a play for the young lady? He had to admit the thought had crossed his own mind. A knock on the door brought him out of his reverie as Fetch answered the sound, and was naded a noted, which he handed in turn to Luke, who gave it to Trapper. "So, he's doing exercises, huh?" Trapper mumbled. "Well, I suppose it's to be expected, poor fellow must be getting a bit bored. We'll go to see him in a bit."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2013, 02:25:08 pm »

Una was rather happy for the first time in a while and it was far better than being numb.  It took her a moment to figure out how to write but once she started it was surprisingly simple. History, tank grown people and the affects of blue light where a good start. "Thank you I would love help you look through the records." She said with a smile.  Getting to go out places was rather novel for her.

Jessica had one of the longest showers ever then went by the canteen and grabbed a steak sandwich and a long neck of beer from her private stash and went down to the hanger to work on No 7.  Will heard whistling before she popped around the corner towel piled on her head and smiling.  "Well hello there." She called out.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2013, 09:02:59 pm »

Will had somewhat unwisely crawled under the firebox clinker door of the highboy's steam plant (it had been converted to methanol burner from a coal-fired engine used in rooftop farms for milking machine duties). When he heard Jessica's voice and saw her feet standing just a short distance away, he loudly called out, "Hello-OUCH!" as he raised up and dinged himself on the underside of the clinker box. cursing all the gods of steam enginery under his breath, he slid out from under, rolled over, and got up, wiping his hands as he greeted the pretty young mechanic a bit more properly. "Um, hello, sorry about that, I got a bit into fixing Bernice, here," he gestured toward the bike, all shiny black lacquer, chrome, steel, brass and copper. He kept her shined up as close to like new as he could manage. She's a real rocket when I get her going. How are you?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2013, 02:23:50 am »

"Clean as a whistle and happy to be back."  She said taking a bite of sandwich and plopping down on the bench. "No 7 needs some more vents if I am going to not half boil myself inside it."  The popped the top off the beer and took a rather satisfying looking gulp.  "Wanna drink? I have a few stashed away."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2013, 06:16:36 am »

Will had a seat on the bench beside Jessica and accepted the bottle and took a slug. "Ahmn, that feels good," he said. "Have you thought about an airscrew or two to force air to circulate inside, maybe a coolant coil for 'em to blow across? I hear one of the people upstairs is working on a building cooler that works on that principle, like the old ice-block coolers they used to use before Wagstork invented the waterfall units we all use these days, 'cept they pump somethin' like a solvent fluid that cools rapidly through the coil instead've ice." he leaned a bit closer and smoothed a swept-up pile of soot and coal detritus next to the bench, and drew a diagram in the resulting flat heap. "I saw it through the door window, it looked kinda like this." My, she smells nice, he thought, breathing in the scents of soap, hairwash, and warm human female...
--------------
Hmmnn, so she does know how to write, and she's improving rapidly, Trapper thought as he watched her move the pencil. A good, round but not too round hand. I wonder what Bert and his lot'll make of it.

He read the list, and hmmed and ah-ha'd to himself. "Yes," he said, finally, "I think we should be able to find several of each of these. I'll give it to one of teh bulls, and they'll take it to the Librarian. It should be up here in an hour or so. He pulled out his watch, made a face and put it back. "We need to go and see your friend Mr. Dee, now," he said. Perhaps in a few days we can let the two of you see one another again." He looked at Fetch and Luke and jerked his head in the direction of the door. "You two go ahead, and I'll be along momentarily. Miss Una? Good Morning." He pulled the customary forelock and smiled reassuringly, then went out and sent a bull, a rather pretty redheaded girl, with the list to the Library. "Quick as you can manage, we need to keep our guest happy," he said, then turned around and headed back toward Dee's room.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:09:33 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2013, 06:50:52 am »

Jessica leaned close to Will watching him draw. "Very nice. That may be just what I need.  Before today No 7 and I had never been out this long.  I ran a test and did some heavy hauling but never anything like this.  Even tho it was scary it felt dammed good to save those people. It is what I have wanted to do since I was a little girl." 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2013, 07:45:06 am »

"Sounds like you're a natural, then." Will said, revelling in their mutual closeness. "here's hopin' we can keep working together."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2013, 02:30:18 pm »

"I know the chief wants to keep me busy in the garage but I hope I can get out more often.  I rather like this." She said smileing.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #161 on: May 27, 2013, 05:03:54 pm »

"Me, too," he said, leaning closer.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #162 on: May 27, 2013, 11:00:13 pm »

He heard and felt the presence of someone coming before he saw anyone. His eyes were closed as he drew his exercise to an end but he could feel the displacement of the air as they neared his room.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2013, 03:00:38 am »

Jessica blushed, she wasn't often so close to men.   "This is sort of nice too." She touched his hand and smiled.  Today was a good day.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2013, 03:53:22 am »

Trapper checked his ID with the guard at the door. The guard knocked, then opened the door and leaned in. "Justice lieutenant von Trappe to see you, Mr. Dee." Trapper took his cue and walked in, Fetch and Luke at his heels. "Sorry for the intrusion, Mr. Dee," Trapper said. "Hope you don't mind my associates tagging along, they're observing today.\ We need to discuss your peresence and such in the tower yesterday, as well as matters touching on the Bluelight treatment you were subjected to, and also whether you feel like helping us with a certain problem of enforcement..." Fetch was somewhat uncharacteristically "there" and completely and obviously visible. Luke couldn't decide if the fellow had to concentrate to do that, or if the other mode of his presence was the more taxing. he resolved to ask the ninja-like lad when he had time.

----------------------------
Will leaned in closer, wondering if he should wait for Jessica to move in, or just sieze the moment. The decision was made for him when someomne slammed the door far away across the garage, but loudly enough to startle him; his hand slipped on the slick bench surface and his lips pressed upon Jessica's, so close were they by that point. He pulled back momentarily -- but then instinct took over and he moved in under his own impetus and kissed her again and then pulled back. "do you like that too?" he asked, a bit shyly. It had never happened to him quite like that before.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:57:18 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2013, 05:20:16 am »

Jessica looked Will in the eye grinning. "Yes I rather think I did." She looked around to see if they were alone and kissed him back.  She didn't want to get in trouble for fraternising on the clock.  Last time that happened the chief royalty chewed her out.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2013, 05:39:10 am »

Dee stood at attention as they talked. Feet apart hands crossed in front of him. "What do you want to know old timer?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2013, 06:47:28 am »

Bert the graphologist searched his autobuggy for the stroke comparison manual he'd brought home from work the night before. "Now where'd that blamed thing go?" he muttered, then remembered the boot, and opened it with a loud POP! "Ah, there you are, you wayward little spawn, you," he muttered and closed the boot with a loud THUNK, and walked back to the stairwell door, slamming it behind him with a loud boom that seemed to thunder in teh very foundations of teh Hall of Justice themselves.
-----------------
Will leaned in and returned the kiss, figuring that the sounds and voice meant they were discovered, and thus they might as well just keep going 'til they were pried apart; he said as much to Jessica. After a time noone showed up, however. "Huh. I guess we're okay after all..."

-----------------
'Old Timer'...Trapper  tasted teh words in his own mouth. Yeah, he probaly did look old to the younker in fromnt of him, so maybe it wasn't really meant as mor ethan just effrontery for teh sake of appearances. HE inwardly fought down the impulse to upbraid teh fellow for the term. Trapper then repeated the speech, with slightly different words, with which he had asked for Una's help with the case. "What kinda deal do you think we could work out, Mr. Dee?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2013, 05:01:12 pm »

"So." Jessica said as they parted.  "How would you like to take a lady out?  I know the chief will have us all working double time  for Founder's  Day but maybe after when half the city is sleeping it off we could go out for dinner?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2013, 08:03:57 pm »

"Yes! I 'd like that. Where would you like?" He knew of several places, some where a couple could be alone together, some that were pure fun, pure party, and one that just plain swanky -- but thought he should let her pick if she wanted to. OK, 'Bubbles', he thought derisively at himself, why the sudden schoolboy-ness?.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2013, 08:08:53 pm »

"How bout something along the lines of you let me go. In return I tell you what I know about the blue light and Christians uncle." He needed a pop.  His arms were tingling from withdrawal and he wanted out of here before someone made a connection. 
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2013, 10:46:41 pm »

Jessica thought for a moment.  She didn't know too much of dineing beyond the area around the hall and her apartment and she doubted he would be impressed with take away samwiches or chinese.  "How about we try that new place by the universty?"  She had been by it onece while takeing over a beat for a friend and it smelled pretty good and looked busy.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2013, 10:58:15 pm »

Fetch interjected before Luke or Trapper could warn him off. "You want no protection? No safe relocation?" Fetch was incredulous. He himself was able to not only elude but actually take care of anything the Le Croix family tried to send his way (he was the Black Puppeteer's creation, and his former master had had close ties with the Le Croix even back then), but he was well aware that such was because of his rather unique existence and abilities -- and he still was Leery of the Le Croix machine. No one else that he knew of had abilities such as his, and it seemed absurd to him for a "normo" to refuse protection from such a powerful entity. Then he noticed the odd "tic" in Dee's manner. He inhaled the scent of a degree of ...anxiety? and... ah, there it is, he thought. A very slight nervous sweating reaction scent. He's craving something... I wonder what it might be.

Trapper started to reprimand Fetch, but then stopped as he noticed the fellow concentrating, almost the same as a bloodhound would when scenting a trail. "What is it, Justice?" he whispered aside, using the formal title.

"Fear. And he's anxious about or wants something very badly," Fetch answered in a similarly almost inaudible voice.
--------
"That'd be great! I've wanted to try that one too. What time, say? or do you want to wait and play it by ear?""

"I won't ask what you're craving, Mr. Dee, not right now anyway," Trapper said aloud. "We're not a Pharmacy, though I'd daresay we could probably get the stuff. I don't like enslaving people with the substances they desire, though. That's a level of Dodgy Snooker I prefer not to fall to. Whether or not I can actually let you go has to be confirmed upstairs, but I think we can work something out along those lines."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2013, 12:13:26 am »

"I think we will have to play it by ear.  If half the tower wrecks their veicals like last year I may be pulling extra hours." She leaned in for a kiss as a sirean started up.  Jessica looked up to see the bright city lights blotted out by a wirling blackness.  "What the hell is that?" She shouted.

Una was enjoing the soft breeze until a strange buzzing that set her on edge.  She looked out the window not seeing what was causeing the sound until she saw a black thinghs with wings like the thopter that where swarming up from below.  Una wondered if this was normal until the bugs grew claws and slashed at her window.  She slammed the glass down as one tried to go after her hands with a stinger that dripped some sirt of fluid on her floor.  She pounded on her door.  "I think I am under attack!"

Christian smiled a bit in his cell the hidden button in his tooth had been costly and painfull but it was worth it.  Now his drones would claw a way out for him before the justices could get anything from him.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2013, 08:35:12 am »

Trapper heard the siren go off, a shape flit past the window outside (more like a blind man's sense of "shadowism," really, than any really coherent visual contact), and had his blaster and tomahawk out and was throwing himself against Dee and knocking him to the floor at roughly the same moment that Luke lunged for teh alam button; Fetch had already disappeared, a shadowing almost-nothingness by the window suddenly showing in the bright light streaming in, and throwing up a sword to block three of the five wickedly-vaned projectiles that smashed through the glass blocks of the window. Luke sprang in a manner seemingly impossible upward from the floor, twisting in midair and whipping out the bolster sword, smashing one of the drones into the wall while Trapper zapped the fifth and the chopped its metal steam-electric brain free from the hideous mechanical carapace.

"So much for having put a stop to theses things production," Trapper snorted. "Well, Dee? still want to go it alone?" He heard Una's shout, then, and dashed out, brushing past the guard who had just opened the door and throwing himself at the shape that was clawing it's way in through the window. "GET HER OUT IN THE HALL!", he bellowed to the presence at his back, hoping it was one of his people. "What was going on, a part of his brain wondered. then, a cold chill spread down his back as he remembered what a slippery little geek Christian was. "Tell Security to get a suppression team to the Lockups! he snarled, they'll be here for Christian Le Croix!"

A sinking feeling in his gut seemed to intuit that he was already too late to stop that particular facet of the disaster. He just hoped the Chief and the others were OK.
-------------------
Will jumped up, grabbing a spanner as several wickedly-winged shapes swept in and toward him and Jessica, his other hand pulling a revolver. "I dunno what they are, but I don't think they're friendly!" he fired at one, dropping it like a wingshot turkey, and smashed another from the air with the spanner as it tried to get past him to Jessica. "I'd love to be a hero for a gorgeous heroine," he said as roguishly as he could manage, "but I think you might want to grab a wrench and pitch in, or it might just get too hairy for comfort!>"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: