The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 08:23:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post-Apocalyptic Steampunk?  (Read 3853 times)
53Bash
Gunner
United States United States

« on: April 08, 2013, 01:16:42 am »

Is this a thing, and if so where can I find examples?  I think they are two great tastes that taste great together.

For example, how much more awesome would "Mad Max" be with a steampunk twist to all the vehicles?  If the weapons used in the great war had been "aetheric bombs" instead of nuclear?

Any good examples of settings like this?  How do they pull it off?  The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the "Deadlands" rpg (table top game) which (iirc) wasn't so much post-apocalyptic as wild frontier.

Anybody working on crafts with this as an inspiration?  Post-Apoc and steampunk both lend themselves to low-tech metal fabrication, so its a good mash up for vehicle mods, maybe large decorative items and weapon-props as well.  There's the steam-punk "gas masks" of Bob Basset, but that's actually about all I've seen.

'Hidden Steampunk Name' : Sebastian Danger Wirefields
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 03:25:40 am »

Is this a thing, and if so where can I find examples?
Why, in the Brass Goggles Archives, of course! I haven't seen much lately, but when I first registered (about five years ago) there were several people who were into this sort of style in a big way. (In particular, look for references to the Burning Man Festival.)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Sebastian Dante
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 08:31:58 am »

I have always found that some of the best Post-Apocalyptic Steampunk looks come from combining a Steampunk edge with an Industrial look (heavy gothic based look, almost a dirtier cybergoth/cyberpunk look). I am working on a similar look for a bodyguard/personal assassin look and I'm working with a lot of metal based work, exposed wiring and armour plating. These techniques could easily be expanded to customise larger projects such as vehicles, weapons and other projects
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 09:41:37 am »

It very much is a thing, for some of us it is THE thing. My entire approach to steampunk is that it is a preparation for the future where the less durable technology of our current society is lost while the knowledge remains.

What kind of examples are you looking for, books? movies? practical applications? 

I have examples of all of them, but as a starting point, for books their is The WindUp Girl, For movies take a look at The City of Ember, for Practical applications, search the Tactile forum for the terms Real, Functional, Practical and you will find many examples.

To see someone trying to prepare it for by building a fortified off the grid property with steampunk twists check out my defunct forum turned Blog http://theretort.forumotion.com/t12-the-tower

As Bruce Sterling says:

We are a technological society. When we trifle, in our sly, Gothic, grave-robbing fashion, with archaic and eclipsed technologies, we are secretly preparing ourselves for the death of our own tech. Steampunk is popular now because people are unconsciously realizing that the way that we live has already died. We are sleepwalking. We are ruled by rapacious, dogmatic, heavily-armed fossil-moguls who rob us and force us to live like corpses. Steampunk is a pretty way of coping with this truth.

Flinton Stiel
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 09:47:49 am »

Pretty much all the steampunk stuff I do has an apocalyptic theme to it. I love cobbling together scraps and random parts into both objects and costumes, mainly leather and armour parts.
Huge fan of both genres so, while I don't know about it being an actual genre in itself, they go very well together and puts an extra layer onto backstories and clothing.

Life is a schoolbook; draw in the margins
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 10:01:18 am »

If you haven't already, check out The Mutant Chronicles

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
53Bash
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 03:17:32 pm »

What kind of examples are you looking for, books? movies? practical applications? 

Mostly anything image-based.  Could be actual items, concept / character artwork, movies, cosplay, video / table top game.

Alternately, any sort of background genre justification, probably as backstory to a game, novel, or movie.  I figured if I'm gonna go looking for steampunk fiction, I might want to pick a sub-genre I enjoy.  I hear "Boneshaker" is set in a "local apocalypse" level disaster region, might be a good place for me to start.
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 10:08:50 pm »

You should also try 'terminal world', it perhaps the most iconically steampunk book I have ever read, it takes place on post apocalyptic mars.  Among other things it has a former cyborg who was badly wounded and lost his technology and is now only kept alive by steam power which he gets from being permenatly tethered to a steam powered caliope which can only play about four songs, which has understandably driven him made.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 05:01:42 pm »

Post-apocalypse on another planet? Hmmm...

Now it's started me thinking about what sort of spacecraft civilisations on partially terraformed planets could develop. They'd already have the life support anyway to survive...

Given what we were dealing with at the very beginning of our spacefaring, cobbling together rockets shouldn't be that difficult, especially if they have access to something like a pocket calculator for their computing needs. On pretty much every other world that we're likely to inhabit in the solar system, attaining orbit is a much easier task. Steel would easily be up to the job (heck, it can be used here). It wouldn't be beyond the capabilities of a steampunk Martian (obviously, this is a warmer, wetter, post-Proteroforming [Proteroforming meaning here to give a world a habitable but non-breathable atmosphere] Mars) civilisation to reach orbit, and from there they can build bigger and better ships and move out into the asteroid belt - or in towards Terra (reminds me of the proposal I heard about to use nuclear power to launch a mission to Mars... in 1912).

What if a Steampunk rocket from Mars arrives on a planet - say, Callisto - that is inhabited by a culture of Biopunks, and a Rocketpunk ship from a recovering Terra is also scanning the world? To complicate matters further, the Ganymedans have discovered and reactivated an old Terran warship, and they're not too happy with their neighbours... oh, and they all want the grand prize hidden below the surface of the world, an advanced AI core.

Yay, I get to indulge in my fantasies of post-apocalypse -punk whilst not having to give up on space travel... though in my Commonwealth universe, people often live Steampunk/Clockpunk/Prefixpunk lives anyway, since it's all post-scarcity and they might as well.

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
gavinfuzzy
Gunner
Singapore Singapore

~Till All Are gOne~

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 04:04:52 pm »

Try Mortal Engines? Or Blood in The Skies?
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 04:19:04 pm »

Nah, I'm looking for something more, Post-apocalyptic Steampunk... IN SPACE!

Or, failing that, just post-apocalyptic space travel.

I'm sort of going for that, almost, with my Commonwealth universe, except it's just Terra the apocalypse has arrived for, and the people there can opt out at anytime if they're willing to ask the Commonwealth Colonisation Agency for help getting somewhere better... in the first decade or so of the Commonwealth though, it'll have something of that feel I imagine, since they'll be cut off from Terra (by the refusal of it's governments to recognise their territorial claims) and will have to manufacture chemical and solar thermal/electric spacecraft themselves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: