The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 01:55:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk tents, what kinds? for steampunk convention  (Read 11915 times)
ColeV
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2014, 04:21:41 pm »

Is its water-resistance a naturally occurring aspect of the material, or was it treated?

To be really specific, canvas is not just a generic heavy cotton like we refer to it today. It used to be from linen or hemp, fibers that come from the vascular system of a plant meant to carry water along their length (cotton is meant to rot away in water to reveal the seed inside). It's woven fairly tight and heavy, yes, but also with more threads running the warp (up/down) than the weft (left/right). This means the fabric is specifically oriented when building the structure to have those extra threads running from top to bottom. I don't have a detail shot to show, but this weaving process actually bundles the threads together creating very narrow channels that act as a gutter system to allow the water to move down the fabric uninterrupted by bumps of threads or other things that would cause drips. So long as it's held under tension and isn't poked by a person inside, the fabric will hold the water tension and drain it. Like the bubble that forms at the top of an overfilled glass. What happens inside of these tents when it rains is a few minutes of light misting while the fabric saturates. After that, it might be humid, but it won't drip inside. We tested that more than once during our project. We've also determined that the scalloped valance you see on the Marquee was made so specifically to keep water from draining down the walls. It wasn't a straight strip because water would collect along that bottom line and drip on anyone who would touch it. The scallop gives "points" for the water to drip from constantly.
The only treatment you see being needed on tents is a painted valance strip along the top ridge. This was painted with linseed oil (and in our case Spanish Brown for coloring). This makes the canvas water-proof. It also would make it air-proof and fragile. The stiffness created will crack after enough foldings and split the canvas. So, that strip is made separate to be easily replaced- probably once or twice a year. It's up there to protect the ridge pole with iron hardware from rusting and damaging the canvas. Not used on smaller common tents, but they only require 20 yards of canvas rather than 200 yards like a Marquee.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2014, 10:19:39 am »

Fascinating. I knew about the tension, but not the natural channels created by the weaving. Nor did I know about the points.

Good info.
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

It's the Captain, Lilith Vanderstorme!

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2014, 03:08:11 pm »

Ran into this and thought this would be the most germane place to post it...

The manufacturers of this tent claim to have been inspired by airships, of all things. Either version (suspended or ground) are really pricey, but at least we've another possible solution to the question of what a Steampunk tent might look like...

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/luminair-tree-tents.html

I'm thinking that whether I hang it from the trees or use the tripod mount for terrestrial use, I'd want to paint the exterior like an adventurer's hot air balloon, and suspend a mock gondola/basket beneath, which would serve as the front porch/door, using the the "rigging" as the means of egress. Alternately, using the first image from the page, mock it into a Martian tripod...

Thoughts?

Nice. i'd want such a thing. but only if my crew'd fix it up:p

GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2014, 01:45:17 am »

Given the clear creative talent of your crew, that should pose no difficulty. However, based on the comment by IGetPwnedOften regarding the thing's likely weight, you'll probably want the crew to help set the thing up, as well.

Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2014, 05:21:53 pm »

Given the clear creative talent of your crew, that should pose no difficulty. However, based on the comment by IGetPwnedOften regarding the thing's likely weight, you'll probably want the crew to help set the thing up, as well.

True! Also true! These are things to think about. i have ideas though^^ I might get to making it soon
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2014, 03:37:42 pm »

If you plan to make your own tent, there is this useful PAVILION TENT PATTERN GENERATOR.

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2014, 10:22:53 pm »

I was recently part of a team that copied George Washington's Marquee tent (all hand-sewn with replicated fabric). We did make a number of smaller tents as well with commercial fabric. I'd highly recommend looking into hemp canvas. If stretched taught it's almost entirely water resistant and very sturdy. We got ours from Hemp Traders in the US, though I'm sure there are European sellers out there since much of the fabric comes from that market area still.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good Lord! you could keep an entire Harem in there. I'd expect to see Rudolph Valentino emerge at any moment.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2014, 09:48:05 pm »

still have no tent... bummer.
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2014, 01:00:48 am »

Is your crew amenable to pitching in on cost, construction, transport, set-up, take-down, etc., for a shared space?
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2014, 09:47:03 am »

Is your crew amenable to pitching in on cost, construction, transport, set-up, take-down, etc., for a shared space?

Nope, we're all broke, too broke for the construction, too broke for the transportwhich make it hard to set up and break down and leaves us with the space.
Unfortunately we do not have the means to get such tent...
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2014, 10:58:12 pm »

Nope, we're all broke, too broke for the construction, too broke for the transportwhich make it hard to set up and break down and leaves us with the space.

Sounds like a perfect excuse for a kickstarter (well why not? everyone else seems to be at it) In all seriousness though, something like that would be a huge undertaking. It's not even just making the thing, there may well be insurance considerations as well. I'd personally recommend flame retardation for a start (I got caught in a panicked stampede from a large burning marquee at a festival many moons ago, it wasn't fun), and to treat something that size would cost a small fortune by itself.

If you're seriously intending to tour an entire troupe on the road or something, then fair enough it might be worth it. Otherwise I'd stick to a sheet of canvas and a couple of poles.
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2014, 08:08:35 pm »

Sounds like a perfect excuse for a kickstarter (well why not? everyone else seems to be at it) In all seriousness though, something like that would be a huge undertaking. It's not even just making the thing, there may well be insurance considerations as well. I'd personally recommend flame retardation for a start (I got caught in a panicked stampede from a large burning marquee at a festival many moons ago, it wasn't fun), and to treat something that size would cost a small fortune by itself.

If you're seriously intending to tour an entire troupe on the road or something, then fair enough it might be worth it. Otherwise I'd stick to a sheet of canvas and a couple of poles.

I don't think I'm popular enough to get enough funds at a kickstarter.. It's a fair suggestion though.
Shitty part: I need a tent for the dutch european steampunk convention end of july and ehm... haven't found one just yest O.o
Guess we;ll indeed just have to get a canvas and some poles...
broncosteve
Swab

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2016, 02:04:09 pm »

Hello fellow steampunks,

I'm attending this dutch european steampunk convention in Meppel in july, and i want to be on the terrain with the steampunks, but i have no tent. What tent would be reccommended to get for this? does anyone know where to buy such thing? preferably in the netherlands, but any suggetion is welcome:)

Hi, sorry this is my first post. I don't usually join forums, but a friend of mine in the USA just bought this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Canvas-Wall-Tent-Angle-Kit/dp/B010RONQ0O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1476361907&sr=8-7&keywords=wall+tent

After a little research, I found their actual website: www.elkmountaintents.com

I don't know if they would be willing to ship internationally but you could always ask
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2016, 09:41:44 pm »

Hello fellow steampunks,

I'm attending this dutch european steampunk convention in Meppel in july, and i want to be on the terrain with the steampunks, but i have no tent. What tent would be reccommended to get for this? does anyone know where to buy such thing? preferably in the netherlands, but any suggetion is welcome:)

Hi, sorry this is my first post. I don't usually join forums, but a friend of mine in the USA just bought this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Canvas-Wall-Tent-Angle-Kit/dp/B010RONQ0O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1476361907&sr=8-7&keywords=wall+tent

I don't know if they would be willing to ship internationally but you could always ask

Woah that's a bit late to the party sir, this is a thread from 2013....
but welcome to the forums!

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
broncosteve
Swab

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2016, 10:11:40 pm »

Hello fellow steampunks,

Woah that's a bit late to the party sir, this is a thread from 2013....
but welcome to the forums!

Haha, didn't even notice! I was researching which wall tents are the best, and this forum thread showed up randomly. Well, better late than never!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2016, 07:12:08 am »

Stick around, it's a fun group
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2016, 10:15:15 am »

That happens! Welcome once more, please stay