The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 07:10:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk tents, what kinds? for steampunk convention  (Read 11490 times)
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2013, 11:51:42 am »

Hope it's bigger on the inside.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Mimsy Beaucoup
Zeppelin Captain

interests: Corsets, hats, shoes, parasols

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 11:53:40 am »

We do authentic victorian and edwardian camping and use canvas bell tents, we love them, huge and spacious and comfortable to live in.

I love it!

But I have to ask, how do you transport the bed?  Is it a lightweight frame bed? or something inflatable?

It is a wooden bed Smiley we have a trailer. However, others use double/ strapped together  camp beds with air mattresses on top, fully covered to hide the modernity, that way they don't need a trailer!

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2013, 12:49:16 pm »

You have limited space, weight and the weather is changeable. I feel your main issue here is colour. For some reason most of the tents on sale at the moment look like they were pitched in the middle of Phagwah. BRIGHT! SO Bright! It burns my eyes!

So as we are talking Steampunk here, why not find a modern tent in nice mute colours? Khaki for instance?

Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2013, 04:12:17 pm »

We did SCA camping for years and years as Vikings and I will happily go on about how awesome our huge custom Norse A-frame was, but as it also weighs a metric tonne and needs a pickup truck with a full-length rack to move it anywhere I won't because it's not really relevant, lol. But one tent we did have that might work very well for you was a simple square sun shade. It was only about ten feet square and had light-weight poles; you see them at farmer's markets and stuff all the time. They're pretty easy to set up and take down, although you might need to pack it separately. Still, one person can carry it.

Our one looked pretty much exactly like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What we did was add light-weight fabric walls. On ours, the top was green but the fabric over the legs was stripey, and we managed to find cotton in a very similar stripe for dirt cheap. Something like $2/yard at a fabric warehouse. We just sewed it into four pieces with a sleeve at the top that the horizontal bars along the eaves of the roof went through, and would set it up so where each piece joined with the next was in the middle of a wall. We were just using it as a kitchen tent, though, so it was nice to be able to pull all the sides open when it was hot, or close up the side on the sunward side for more shade, but if you only want one opening that shouldn't be hard. You just add ties to close it and if you make it so there's about a 6-inch overlap then privacy isn't an issue. Do the ties somewhere between every foot and every two feet, whatever works with your fabric.

A friend of mine does the same thing for her tent, but attaches the fabric walls with cheap metal shower curtain loops. Kind of a pain to put up as it involves a lot of reaching whereas our sleeve goes through the poles before the tent is assembled, but the fabric does slide back and forth more easily.

With the right fabric and accoutrements (such as wooden folding camp stools and such) it could be surprisingly Vicwardian, I think. Certainly these little change tents seem pretty late-period Victorian to me, and one could do very much the same thing with a sunshade.

You might want to guy it or hand weights from the corners, since they do blow around a bit otherwise.

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2013, 06:11:35 pm »

We've used that type of portable gazebo as the dining room tent when camping - handy for evening drinks and breakfast when it's pishing it down.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 08:34:37 pm »

The original poster indicated that he intended to travel by train, with one suitcase. That's why I found a small, modern backpacker-type tent in black. As someone pointed out, there's a tendency for modern tents to come in outrageously bright colors. 
caramelwhistle
Gunner

Reductio ad Absurdum

caramelwhistle
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 09:27:52 pm »

As a Scouter of 25 years I have to say there has been some good points made thus far.

Rather impressed with some of the retro-gear in use. I will have to try it.

Since we are talking small and portable here my suggestion is "dome" tent.  A tent where the flexy poles cross at some point, usually forming a dome type shape, sometimes its 2 poles that cross (usually have a square base) or 3 poles (hexagon base).  This can usually freestand and just need weight in to stop from moving (but its always best to peg a bit.

Avoid "Tunnel" tents, tents where poles generally don't cross, they look a bit like half cylinders, whilst they are usually longer and with huge porches they aren't that stable in strong winds and after guy-ropes have been pulled out from people tripping.

Always go for an "inner" and an "outer" type tent, you will be cooler in summer, warmer in winter and generally speaker they are more waterproof.

A small porch is very useful for keeping smelly things out the way and dirty away from 'clean' stuff and stuff you don't want dirty or wet like sleeping bags.

Of course if you know all this already I apologise but I'm guessing you've not used a lot of tents otherwise you'd have one of your own already.

Post links to tents you would like to purchase.  There will be conversation!

Join Steampunk: Milton Keynes and Northampton
Find Us on: MeetupFacebook and Twiter

Attended Events: Steampunk at the Seaside 2013 + 2014
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 12:37:29 am »

Ooh! Ooh! You know what you could do with a modern dome tent, assuming a bit of time and a certain amount of budget beforehand: Keep the regular inner, main tent part, and sew a more appropriate outer cover for it. Especially with the 2-bar square-based ones, the pattern would be very easy to copy; one would just want to make sure it would go all the way to the ground.

The thought I had, thinking about Victorian domes, is that it might be really, really cool (especially at night) to get some brightly-patterned fabric and do something based off a Tiffany lamp. If one was ambitious (or had access to a quilter), one could actually piece various pieces of fabric to copy one, maybe taking the sort of water-colour-looking cotton prints and stitching them to a simple cotton base. Black tape (the fabric sort) or ribbon could then get stitched down over the edges, both finishing them and providing the "leading". But just some regular printed fabric that looked like stained glass would also be pretty cool. If one finished it off with some water-resisting spray or Thompson's water seal then it should do just fine.

Alternatively one could go to the dollar store and get a whooole bunch of those cheesy "grass" hula skirts, and stitch them onto the outer cover (or better yet, make an entirely new one out of matching windbreaker fabric so you can still use it for regular camping) to make a "haystack". You'd layer them from the bottom up, of course.

Never tried out that haystack idea but hey, sleeping in haystacks as an affordable alternative to inns and such was certainly period during the Middle Ages and probably well into the Victorian period for tramps and such; I came up with the idea back when I was in the SCA as a period way to disguise "ground warts".
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 05:07:22 am »

I do american civil war re enacting and a canvas and pole tent would be completely impractical if you will be hauling it with on a train.

that black tent definitely is a better choice, and its not a hideously bright neon color.

you can go buy a king size bedsheet and use it as an add-on awning to the main tent. it could be  of a striped pattern to look more victorian and it can be simply held over the tent with light rope and tent stakes.

it will also keep the black tent from turning into a sauna in the sun.

google tarp tent clamps for the little things to tie hold down straps to anything you come up with.

a simple folding camp stool can be very handy and easily carried with. you can haul the tent and other acroutrements in a backpack, leaving your suitcase for the clothes.

you can even pick up some items to use once you arrive at the event, plastic buckets from the hardware store make for impromptu furniture and can be covered with cloth to look like anything from a tree stump to a tufted foot stool
Mimsy Beaucoup
Zeppelin Captain

interests: Corsets, hats, shoes, parasols

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 08:30:52 am »

Yes I forgot about the train travel! I think this has turned into a more general camping conversation!

Field candy do great quirky tents

http://camping-gadgets.co.uk/fieldcandy-tent-snug-as-a-bug/

Union hacks, travel suitcase, ray guns...not cheap though!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:39:21 am by Mimsy Beaucoup » Logged
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 02:46:16 pm »

Here you go!
The perfect steampunk tent

Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 04:31:38 pm »

How about an Outfitter's tent ... they've remain fairly unchanged for 100 years or so.  You can an oriental rug or two.

http://www.davistent.com/

Onward ho!
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 05:45:01 pm »

Depending upon the weather, your degree of familiarity with 'roughing-it', and the suitability to your outfits (whether one is a pith-hatted explorer-type or strictly a soft-slippered parlour-dweller), the simplest alternative might be a bedroll/swag - at it's simplest a waterproof canvas 6' x 6', long enough to cover head-to-toe and to lie on and flap over. Any modern sleeping-bag or blankets can hide inside for warmth, and a belt or strap to roll it all up.

But, in short, the important thing is to go, however unsteamly(tm) your cheapest modern fluoro nylon tent may be. It would be a lot less fun to stay at home solely from having no 'appropriate' tentage. Remember most of the attendees won't be arriving by steam-velocipede either.   Cheesy

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 11:40:01 pm »

This is one that I have been keeping my eye on lately....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281088474511?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_600wt_758

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 01:04:07 am »

Since there is a size/weight issue - a "modern"  small dome tent, (maybe add a couple "cool" bedsheets to add over it) is probably the best choice.)
The package will say "X-person tent" - DO cut that number in half, at least, before choosing a tent.

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 11:24:47 am »

just make a tentacled dropcloth for under a tent like this, just like a baby air craken!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ascend-one-man-ultralight-tent-Used-in-Good-condition-/261197252180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd091c654#ht_82wt_919

search hiking and ultralight tents to see various shapes and designs

I love the beach umbrella mod!

maybe you could find a lightweight beach umbrella that breaks down enough to transport easily. use it in conjunction with a small tent so you have a bit of cover to sit under without being stuffed into a tiny little tent or out in the elements if things get a bit sour.

your tentacled tent could even have the tentacles holding onto the umbrella and any type of portable furniture you bring.

there is cheap inflatable furniture you could cover with a cloth to look more substantial. google inflatable chair to see.
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

It's the Captain, Lilith Vanderstorme!

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 03:34:07 pm »

Since there is a size/weight issue - a "modern"  small dome tent, (maybe add a couple "cool" bedsheets to add over it) is probably the best choice.)
The package will say "X-person tent" - DO cut that number in half, at least, before choosing a tent.

Thanks for the advice!

I found this now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

so that's fairly steampunk i guess,  but maybe i'd still have to put on some cloth with it. wouldnt know where though

CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »

You are most welcome.  It took me a while to figure out that a 4-person tent was about right for 2, a 2-person tent was OK for 1, and a 1-person tent is about the size of a large casket.  If your bedding touches the walls in the rain, it will wick up water and be very uncomfortable.  Tents are a case where bigger really is better.

That is a good-looking tent already. If you want stripes, paisley, etc, please consider a backyard dry-run for measurement purposes. you could trim and hem the sheets/bedpreads to the correct size, beforehand.  I would also recommend some extra tent-stakes (quite a few) and lightweight cord (paracord, or even mason's twine) for suspending the decorative fabric over the tent.  Locally-procured sticks could be used for front-canopy support, depending on the venue. "tarp-clamps" are very handy for fastening the cords to the fabric, but when weight/bulk is a problem, a smooth pebble can be  put into a corner of the cloth, and then tied with your cord.

elShoggotho
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 03:21:50 am »

German black tent, yurt version. Traditional equipment for boy scouts and related people. It will survive any weather, is quite cool inside even in the middle of summer, you can light a fire (or run a steam boiler) inside due to the chimney, and it's good for a squad of fully armoured clanks. Drawbacks: you need a van to transport it, it takes three people minimum to set it up (seven would be a standard team), and it's quite expensive. Usual price new is around € 1,200.

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2013, 09:13:22 am »

You forgot the cogs.  Wink

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2013, 12:09:09 pm »

to be honest... i dont like it. not even with cogs
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2013, 09:23:55 pm »

I must agree with Miss Katarina - somewhat interesting,  but rather like an ad hoc  shelter built out of  Dalek leftovers after the Time Wars. 

A cultured young lady should have a more attractive, and more comfortable dwelling, even when enjoying Nature.
Cpt. Vanderstorme
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2013, 09:43:50 pm »

I must agree with Miss Katarina - somewhat interesting,  but rather like an ad hoc  shelter built out of  Dalek leftovers after the Time Wars. 

A cultured young lady should have a more attractive, and more comfortable dwelling, even when enjoying Nature.
Hah thank you *bows lightly*

So i thought i had fixed a tent.. but i got there and the old lady was like "here it is!" and i was like... "ma'am... that's mint green... and in the picture it was broken white... can't bring this sorry."

So yeah, still searching for either a tent or a place to stay at the steampunk convention xD
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 04:41:07 am »

Depending on your needs something like this is probably the simplest and lightest 'period' solution.

Its called a  Diamond Shelter and can be made from any square piece of waterproof material. I needs only one pole (which can often be cut on site), and a minimum of only five stakes. 

I have a 12x12 oilskin (linseed oil on canvas) one that I have camped with for many years.  It was very handy during a time of my life when I did a great deal of carpooling to camping events, by keeping my camp gear as simple and small as possible I could often get rides with people who had room for one more person and a bag or two but not someone with a full sized tent with polls etc.  I never actually took my own pole with the tent, I always found something on site or sometimes attached my shelter parasite fashion from the side of someone else's wall tent or simple used a tree.

caramelwhistle
Gunner

Reductio ad Absurdum

caramelwhistle
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 10:55:33 pm »

German black tent, yurt version. Traditional equipment for boy scouts and related people. It will survive any weather, is quite cool inside even in the middle of summer, you can light a fire (or run a steam boiler) inside due to the chimney, and it's good for a squad of fully armoured clanks. Drawbacks: you need a van to transport it, it takes three people minimum to set it up (seven would be a standard team), and it's quite expensive. Usual price new is around € 1,200.

Oh the amazingness I have seen with these things.  Have you seen the "Black Magic" setups done with these?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: