The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:41:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to videos? applying a wash to a raygun  (Read 886 times)
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« on: March 16, 2013, 10:38:51 pm »

I have found some how to videos for applying a paint wash to gaming miniatures....

I would like to watch one that would cover applying a wash to a larger item. I would love to SEE
the process and  see if it matches what I thought the description was trying to say....

Anyone ever run across one?

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:57:00 pm »

The results with ink washing are very dependent on the base surface and it can be used in several different ways. eg

- bringing out detail : a relatively dark wash over a finely textured surface will settle in the low points and help surface detail to pop out, this works particularly well with quite fine crisp lines and fine but deep surface texture. This tends to be a softer and more subtle effect than dry brushing and will affect the tone of the whole surface to some extent.  

-enhancing colour depth : washes can be very good at producing natural looking vibrant colors, particular for simulating translucent materials such as flesh tomes and crystals. In this case you need to build up lots of very thin layers.  It's also good for giving extra vibrancy to complex highlights which are too dull or chalky and for adding very subtle tonal graduation to colors which are difficult to highlight such as red and black.

-simulating wear and grime : subtle washes are good for simulating subtle effects of wear and stains. In this capacity they can be used for either quite subtle or very dramatic effects.

A few general points :

- high quality inks are essential : good inks have a very high proportion of pigment and no fillers, thinned paint doesn't really do the job very well.
- Good quality brushes are also essential as most techniques require an even streak-free finish, which usually means a soft hair brush. Special effects can be produced with stipple brushes and sponges.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:12:25 am by Narsil » Logged

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 05:57:29 pm »

The base finish is acrylic craft paints... some metallic and some just normal
colors.

I need a water based ink I assume.

Would a brown be better as a 'dirt and grime' / 'wear and tear' wash color?
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 12:56:45 am »

All of the things Mr. Narsil said.
(Very well stated, Mr. N.)

Water based washes will get you a long way, Prof. But, there are lots of ways of using spirit inks and dyes as well.
You can get some great effects using two types of paint which don't mix. For instance, putting a light spray of an oil based wash over a slightly wet water based paint can give you a good droplet simulation.  You just need to seal the finished surface well with a lacquer that prevents the two types peeling when they dry.
I've used stained glass paint to good effect for getting the look of leaky, dribbley pipework and pools of nasty, toxic gunge.
The spirit colours have a higher viscosity when used neat and allow for controlled, intentional 'runs'.
A good thing to do is to spend some time looking at real objects that have taken some wear and tear to get a feel for how the weathering accumulates on a real item.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 01:17:00 am »

I would LOVE to see videos of these techniques. I learn much better by watching
being a very visual thinker.

I have to get a better photo of the lot of them posted....

Like I said I'm wanting a use/worn look to be achieved with the wash.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: