The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 02:43:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dining at the Automat -- 1902  (Read 20538 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 05:09:21 am »

It doesn't mater any way - we'll soon be eating Soylent Green anyway!  Have you heard about this "Soylent Diet"?

http://www.businessinsider.com/rob-rhinehart-food-substitute-soylent-2013-3

Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 10:48:42 pm »

A lovely idea of Retro-Futurism; Mr. Bowman's images of the Automat combined with many functions, including the laundry in the original tv series 'Lost in Space' in which the laundry was posted into a slot.  It was invisibly broken down into its atomic components and remade, and moments later posted back in an envolope. 

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2017, 05:42:59 am »

Update:

Someone in Harlem has a basement full of automat machines:
https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/stories-from-the-automat-machines-in-a-harlem-basement/?scp=1&sq=automat&st=cse

A business opportunity for someone.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 02:27:19 pm »

Interexting "update", doesn't that article come from 2010?
Or has my Tablet tricked me again?

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 03:57:43 pm »

Interexting "update", doesn't that article come from 2010?
Or has my Tablet tricked me again?

It was news to me.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2017, 03:42:02 am »

Interesting. I was looking at a completely unrelated article, and down at the bottom was a link to this:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Crowds-flock-to-new-S-F-tech-friendly-fast-food-6478759.php

The two year old article is about a new restaurant where you order through your smart phone and pick up your plate at a numbered window.

The food is quinoa bowls, which doesn't appeal to my midwestern tastes, but it looks like food that could eventually be prepared by automated machinery; a completely automated automat.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:44:53 am by RJBowman » Logged
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 04:47:17 pm »

Here in the Antipodes , vending machine food is fairly mainstream.  Soft drinks, water, fruit juice, flavored milk, candy bars [called chocolate bars here even if they don't have chocolate ], packets of nuts, potato chips etc. , sandwiches.  They are in  the usual places Iike hospitals,  some car parks,  cafeteria, work places.

Though I can see a market for other snacks and meals, and other venues  the could be utilised  in. Transport centres , laundromat, rest stops.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 06:38:57 pm »

Automat isn't quite the same thing as vending machines; at an automat there is a kitchen on the other side of the bank of coin-operated doors, with someone constantly restocking the compartments with fresh plates.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2017, 12:05:29 pm »

Automat isn't quite the same thing as vending machines; at an automat there is a kitchen on the other side of the bank of coin-operated doors, with someone constantly restocking the compartments with fresh plates.

Then we have nothing here as excellent  as that.  I could  see a few places where thar  could work  too.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: