The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 10:33:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First project, USB case mod  (Read 1597 times)
Curious Tinkerer
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: February 07, 2013, 04:53:21 am »

Ok so im wanting to start my first project,ive read around watched videos and stuff like that,and ive decided on a USB case mod, so here is my deal, I have 20 bucks cash, can not buy anything from the internet so i cannot do a normal vacuum tube on the end, i do have a base in electronics, ive been tinkering with them all my life and fix any game systems,remotes, VCR's and anything else ive been asked to fix, i have some plastic gears i salvaged from a clock that i plan to spray-paint black, and add a brass metallic finish, im not going to do any metallurgy for my first project as i don't have the skill,or monies, and i want to put the gears in the back and somehow add a mechanism where i can make it to where they do have a little crank and motion, i think that would be pretty cool, i don't know if it would work or not though lol, any help or suggestions that you guys could throw my way would be greatly appreciated, ill add any pics of work that gets done, i only wont post pics, if noone here really looks or cares to be bothered with it, and i don't want to be a spammer, i don't have any friends in the steampunk community, i know of none around me, so im off to the interwebs for support and insight lol.

It only works when we don't understand why.
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 06:00:00 am »

First off welcome aboard!!

Hmmm I take it you are meaning to mod a USB memory stick??

If it were me I'd make some sketches, LOTS, of sketches of all the possible designs that come to mind. My first memory stick (present for one of my kids) used nothing more than some scrap wood and a few brass gears scavenged out of an old clock mechanism.

Please don't go down the trite line of "Glue some gears on it and call it steampunk". Look through your parts bins, check the thrift shops, fertle about in the shed and you will no doubt come up with all sorts of things to build with!!

Now off you go, and GOOD LUCK!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:00:41 pm »

I'm assuming you're a young lad/lady,but don't get me wrong-I wish something like this was around when I was younger. Instead of wasting the days away.  Angry
Take your time,collect some stuff,just play with it piecing it together on a flat surface,take a quick pic or sketch and then keep on experimenting. Your might come up with a few cool ideas and want to make more than one. So save those pics for future projects.
Definately check out second hand used stores and check online for Printable coupons that will save you $$$ at craft stores for paint,glues,etc.  40%off at Michaels and HobbyLobby!
And peruse the web for images-lots of inspiration.
Use the Search tab here to find all sorts of helpful info on this site-it's a wonderful world,you just need to do some homework every now and then.
Oh,and don't give a crap if someone doesn't like what you like and do!
(just thought I'd add that tidbit in there Embarrassed)

One more thing-welcome to our world!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Lokis_Tyro
Officer

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:24:17 am »

20 dollars can go a very long way. If you're in need of brass (not the only metal that you can use), check out stores similar to habitat for humanity shops. There you can find brass switch covers cheap. They'll give stuff away as well if it's truly junk, which the one near me has a lot of. The covers are easily cut up with a snips but you'll need something to take the sharp edges off. If you can find a whirly-gig they are very useful for deburring. If you do an internet search for them add deburring to it otherwise you will probably get a bunch of silly lawn ornaments.

Another way to stretch your money is by asking your neighbors if they have any junk they want to get rid of. You're probably doing them a favor. Only the hoarders or the guy who's lawn you let your dog do his business on will shun you away.

I'm not exactly sure if it's accepted, but I think tweed is acceptable material. Old speaker covers sometimes use tweed.

If you pick up an antique check it's worth and think about it's intangible quality. It's kinda sad to see some things torn apart for parts. In the case of an antique being worth something find a vendor who will give you a buck or two more than what you paid for it, as long as it covers what your time is worth/gas/etc... hope this helps!
Curious Tinkerer
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 04:05:41 am »

ok, so i have a new idea, which i personally think may be easier and a good way to add some steam to my room, i did a lot of drawings for my usb case mod, and decided to work on that after ive experimented with some things,but ive decided to make a large old fashioned steam gauge, i took apart a large old-fashioned school clock and the front plate is glass so i decided im going to use a friends poster printer to print of a large picture of an old fashioned steam gauge and use the clocks minute hand as the gauge hand and then take a block of styrafoam cut it down to a circle and fit it like a frame, paint it all and rub n buff and then im going to try to buy real brass rivets or cut ping pong balls in half and paint them so it looks like i have a giant old steam pressure gauge hanging in my room, ill still include pics and hope to start on this in the coming week, thankyou Smiley
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 04:27:22 am »

That sounds like a great first project.  And a great way to start steaming up your space.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:44:44 pm »

Awesome,can't wait to see it!
Curious Tinkerer
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 02:55:42 am »

so i started painting the rivets and all that, and then i found out that spray-paint disintegrates styrafoam,well hrmm, what else could i use for my outer ring? or something i could do to the styrafoam so it wont disintegrate lol,oh well, all part of the learning process, i got some extra cash though, 50 more bucks to my funding on account of almost being done with my eagle scout Smiley
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 03:05:32 am »

Try some acylic paint.

Hobby lobby,Michaels,JoAnn sell small(not too small) containers for around $2.
And cheap-ass paint brushes too(or the dollar store for these).
Curious Tinkerer
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 04:10:35 am »

hmm well i had used acrylic because it bonds to plastic very well, and i thought it would look best, but as soon as it touched the styrafoam it just literally disintegrated there was nothing left. i thought if i coated in glue or a thin layer of plastic so it wouldnt, idk. i thought cardboard but idk if it would hold the bolts.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 04:43:17 am »

I have used a paper mache layer (tissue paper and water-thinned glue) to make styrofoam more paintable and less dentable. 
Lokis_Tyro
Officer

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 08:30:42 am »

You probalby used some acrylic enamel, Tinker. If you use water-based acrylic paints they should work fine on your foam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: