The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:32:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Iron Heavenly Part Two: A Man In White  (Read 2908 times)
Andrew Styles
Gunner
United States United States

(Aspiring) Airship Captain for Her Majesty's Army

« on: February 04, 2013, 10:28:34 pm »

"Sorry to cut you short, but we had better be jumpin'!" Corlon said, turning to the controll pannel and flipping switches and dials like a madman.

"Corss your fingers and hold on tight. Your first FTL... I assume this is your first jump... can be a bit jarring. The feeling of being pulled back is something you get used to, but feel for the duration of the jump. Good luck!"

Corlon could barely be heard over the sounds of the engines now, and he pushed the large, red button once more, and dipped into the subspace feild. The veiw windown went black, and everyone was thrust backwards by the acceleration. They were headed off towards JI-33.

"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

Check out my blog! www.musingsoftheteenagemind.wordpress.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:45:42 am »

"Not ...my...first..." Cyrus gritted each word out, surprised by the severity of the accelerative inertia. "But its my first one outside the solar system," he added when the ship's artificial gravity managed to compensate sufficiently. "Day-um, that was a fair patch on the Pluto run."

A subtle scraping noise reached his ears. "Um, Cap'n..." he started. The last time he'd heard that kind of sound on a vessel in mid-jump, the ship he was on at the time had nosed into a meteoroid and shunted it to one side. The forward plating had held, but it had been a near thing...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:13:01 am »

Tessa looked rather confused the jumps she had felt before had been nowhere near this strong.  She tried to bend like a tree and accept the force but it was a fight. "Humm that has a lot of kick."

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:58:53 am »

Cyrus kept his thoughts to himself, but just in case, he excused himself and went toward the side of the ship along which the scraping noise had seemed to originate. He walked the length of the perimeter corridor, but found no evidence of air leaks or fatigued structure - but the scraping noise still sounded, and louder than before. What is causing that? Cyrus wondered.

He decided to be safe, and undid the retaining strap on the Colt's holster, and finally on a sudden uneasy impulse, drew the cutlass as well. He distinctly disliked the sounds he was hearing. He began to look for an intercom panel...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:00:35 am by MWBailey » Logged
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 12:39:11 am »

Curious as to Cyrus's behavior, Badger followed him. His cane was in his left hand, held halfway down the shaft, while his right hand rested on his belt buckle. "Something eating at you?"

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:08:32 am »

"These big ships have heavy outer plating, and they're big enough to have their own mass attraction field, so things that are big enough or have enough mass will try to stick to 'em. It's simple physics."

Scraaappeee, scraaappe, THUD Scraaappee...

"And anythin' big 'nuff or hard 'nuff to make a noise loud enough to be heard inside the ship on this side of all that platin' an' insulation, like that damnable scrapin's bound to be either a big stony-iron rock or some kinda small ship or somethin' similar..."
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 10:19:15 pm »

And suddenly, the scraping stopped. The only sound  was the slight ringing  in the crewmate's ears. The man in white had entered. He was in the vents, silently moving. He would be payed handsomely for killing Cyrus. He smirked, and continued onward. He would have to find a very secluded place to exit the shaft, and find his target.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 06:28:23 am »

Silence...and the smell of hyperspace. It was an almost indefinably different smell from those that pervaded aboard a ship. You got whiffs and snatches of it when you exited a ship after planetfall, when the air in the airlocks cycled. it was not so much a smell of something, but rather of the absence of something once it was removed and replaced with the fulsome nothingness of jumpspace, and then that fulsome nothingness became slowly populated by the debris produced from the ship's hull during jumping. The addition of atmosphere, and even more so of stored LS gases, that polyglot mixture of oxygen, nitrogen and everybody's smells and stinks, was what made the acrid scent of space-burntness come out so strongly; it just flat didn't smell like the rest of the miasma of a ship's interior.

That was what wafted by their noses as they crouched in the corridor, And Cyrus' ears would, if he had been born with ears that did so, have perked up and twitched like a fox's would at the first scent of something out of the ordinary. "Hoo boy. You don't usually smell space, less'n you open an airlock," Cyrus said to the others. He listened, hard, for the sounds of someone trying to be stealthy, or perhaps for the taletell sound of someone failing to be so...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:02:42 am by MWBailey » Logged
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 06:16:11 pm »

"See now I hate when people say stuff like that, cuz its always the guy in the red shirt that dies first." His right hand swept back his coat and came back up holding a double barreled pistol with barrels that looked like you could stick a small child in them. A padded metal arm brace, that rested on Badger's wrist, came back off the butched pistol grip stock. It looked peculiar but considering the gun had a 12" barrel it was smarter than getting his wrist snapped like a twig if he had to fire both barrels at once. 8 gauges were not known for being forgiving, and even less so when loaded with one barrel loaded with 3 1/2 magnum shells full of homeloaded 0000 buckshot, and the other full of ratshot.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 08:36:59 pm »

Tessa cocked her head something smelled very odd.  "Excuse me Sir. I think I will walk the rounds before we reach port to better familiarise myself with the ship." Tessa did not realy want to say that she was going off and hunting smells.  That tended to get one's captain to give you the side eye and second guess your stability and she didn't have time for that right now.  She grabbed her spear and followed the smell to the others.  "So what is going on here?" She asked flowing into a position that would allow her to stab things faster and harder if the situation called for it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 01:04:18 am »

"I'm thinkin' we picked up a floater in jumpspace," Cyrus answered. He was not yet very tense, but he was getting more so by the moment, considering the fact that the spaceburnt taint was still persistently tickling the inside of his nose. "If I had to hazard a directional hunch, I'd say it's... he trailed off up the corridor then back again the opposite direction. "Back this-a way." he treaded aftwards, then slowed, "course, it depends on how the ductwork is set up in this ship. most of the time it's straight for'ard fore to aft, but this is a new ship, or so it feels. Still, I think..."

Bump...Bump...

A very faint thumping sound could be heard aftwards. "This way, I think," Cyrus said, pulling the Colt, thus adding it's support to the cutlass and loping back in that direction. He pulled up short when a line of ultra-bright ruby-hued light speared forward toward the trio and made a burnt blemish in the surface of the wall just above the top of his head.

"INTRUDER ALERT!" He shouted in standard Planetjumper jargon, "Intruder Alert, sir, Outer port plimsoll* corridor, aftwards!" He added into the nearby com panel "Intruder has fired on myself and other crew with high-output ruby laser. Returning fire," he said, as the Walker colt boomed twice and spat two slugs at the as yet unidentified individual...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:07:03 am by MWBailey » Logged
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 01:44:01 am »

Strong arming Tessa behind him, Badger took cover partially behind Cyrus. His right arm coming up from behind his human shield to fire both barrels simultaneously in the same direction as Cyrus had. The rat shot created a massive pattern of pissed off lead hornets followed by the smaller patterned yet infinitely more lethal .38 caliber shot from the 0000 buck. If the massive amount of flying lead didn't hit the target, hopefully the ricochet would.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 03:47:03 am »

Tessa was taunt the shift between relaxed and ready to stab something to bits was almost unnoticeable. She spoke in a low growl eyes scanning everything. "We should make it back to the captain. Who ever the hell that was might be a distraction to keep us occupied."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 05:08:39 am »

Pulling two more shells from his pocket,  Badger thumbed them into the cavernous barrels off the spent hand cannon, making sure he had Tessa covered with his own body and that Cyrus's body was covering him. As much as he yearned to appear the valiant hero,  he knew it was a lie. He wasn't a fool
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 05:58:35 am »

"Th' two of ya should go back to the bridge, then," Cyrus said. "that beam has the tint of a type of gun that an old 'acquaintance' of mine used to make. Looks like he's improved the thing. I wonder who that is he's sold that one to." He shook off the reminiscent mood. "Anywho, you two get back t' th' bridge. I got a feelin' about this feller, but Miss Tessa's right, where there be one, they like 's not'll be others."

As he spoke, a rapid burst of five snapped beams arrowed up the corridor at himself and his companions, apparently half-wild shots fired as the intruder ran across from one bulkhead to another and intended to keep their heads down, since one hit the ceiling over Tessa, two pitted the floor between Badger and Cyrus, and two barely missed  Badger, and flash-smelted a brass fire-control water tank mounted on the wall on a ceiling post in the middle of the corridor about fifty feet behind the trio.  A flash of a white fabric, as if from a spacer's deck coat (a garment almost identical  to the deck coats favored by seamen of the Earthly oceans), showed itself from a hatchway about fifteen yards down the corridor. Feller could hide almost anything under that thing, Cyrus thought. Who knows what he really has in hand. Two memories, a recent one of a white-coated skulker in the previous spaceport, and then a much earlier one of sightings of a thin, rakish, utterly ruthless fellow in the same kind of coat coldly killing Cyrus' friends and enemies alike and escaping unscathed every time, seared across his mind. He sheathed the cutlass.

"Well, I'll be damned," he swore. "Ol' White Coat; I remember 'im from 'way back, seems like. I wish I could recall 'is name. Up 'n' comin' assassin type." He glanced back to the others. "Get goin'. Whether he's alone and here fer me or part of a boardin' party's immaterial. The Cap'n an' th' bridge are the important things to pertect! I got this end."

Cyrus pulled a spare cylinder from his coat pocket and thumbed the hammer back on the modified Walker colt,  fired, and then using the fist that held the spare cylinder,fanned the Walker, spraying the last four shots from the current cylinder down the corridor, deftly pulled the spring-loaded wedge aside and flicked out the spent cylinder (it rolled across the corridor, still smoking from the detonations in its chambers), popped the fresh cylinder in and let go of the wedge which slammed home again, locking the cylider in place. He then dove and rolled across the corridor into an open compartment hatchway, firing one shot as he did so, pinning down the target where he was momentarily, but apparently only grazing him or missing him entirely; it was hard to tell from the figure's reaction, as the slugs spattered around him like hot, deadly raindrops.

"GO!"  he yelled.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:28:31 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 07:09:24 am »

So it was a man they were hunting That made things more simple.  A man could only move in so many ways after all.  "Lets keep our backs together.  I don't want anyone sneaking up on us."  She was rather wishing she had her gun but if the man in white would just be a little more in the open he would see how hard and fast she could hurl a spear.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 07:23:05 am »

"Stick if'n ye want, Missy," Cyrus said, perhaps mistaking the intent of Tessa's words, "but th' Cap'n's more important, an' a word o' warnin-" His voice took on a desolate note, the sound of a man who'd led men to their deaths and remembered every single one of them.

"People what stick to my back tend to get into the thick of things. I've been in worse scrapes than this a hunnerd times, I'll be fine -!" he ducked as a fresh hail of sun-hot bolts fried the air over his head."I'll be fine! Can't guarantee you'll be if'n ya stay."

He pulled a small, generic, yet large-bore four-shot derringer from a vest pocket with his free hand, cocked both pistols, and got ready to charge. There was a chance that he could force the attacker to make a mistake...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:06:30 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 06:59:00 pm »

"A three backed beast is hard to kill." She said scanning the hall for the man in white. "If we move quick one can provide cover fire while the other two take out anyrhing in front."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 11:11:44 pm »

"Get ready with that spear and scattergun, then, and skewer an' blast 'im when I charge, if'n I don't kill 'im outright -- or even if I do, just to be safe," he said, pitching his voice so only Tessa and Badger could hear. Get ready, one, two --!" He cut off suddenly.

"YAARRR!"

Cyrus bellowed as he sprang from the hatchway, firing both pistols alternately as fast as he could cock and fire, managing to hit the figure a few times, or at least his coat, in places that looked like they should be telling blows. "Don't wait fer me! Throw it!"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:39:39 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 11:26:36 pm »

Tessa nodded and made a small forward rush launching her spear at one of the man in whites legs.  There was a grunt of frustraton as the spear hit she was unsure if it hit flesh or just got him tangled up either way it bougth them time to move.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 02:24:42 am »

Badge was completely for heading back to the bridge, several shots had come uncomfortably close and he hadn't survived as long as he had by taking foolish risks.

Unfortunately Tessa had decided to follow Cyrus and a gentleman always protected a lady.  Making sure he stayed slightly behind Cyrus as they ran, he fired his left barrel, full of 00 Buck. While not as powerful as the 0000 in the right barrel they were still man stoppers and had a larger pattern, especially when fired from the cut down barrel.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 04:38:34 am »

"If you cover me I can make it the captan and get him somwhere safe.  I am a dammed good runner."  Back when she was home she had run for days to make it to the grand migration and prove her self an adult.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 09:51:41 am »

Keeping his gun aimed towards the enemy,  Badger said "go for it I"ll be right behind you. "
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 06:13:38 pm »

"I will send out a call when he is safe."  She turned and ran like a deer leaping over obsicals and the few shots that trailed at her heels.  Tessa was barely breathing hard when she reached the bridge.  "We are under attack sir.  If you woud please come with me to a safe place until the danger is over."
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 06:55:43 pm »

"I appreciate your kindness Tessa, but I prefer to fight off anything coming my way." At this, Corlon grabbed his energy gun, and locked eyes with Tessa.
"If you don't mind, gather Badger and Cyrus. All the vitals of this ship are in the bows, so he can't get there for a while. Neet me in my chambers ASAP. We can plan from there. I have an idea."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: