The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 04:26:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Manga/Anime  (Read 5137 times)
Amelia GearHart
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

There is nothing like a dream to create the future

« on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:32 pm »

Greeting, Amelia Gearhart here.

I am a big manga/anime fan right now and i've been spending hours trying to find a good steampunk themed one. Unfortunatly, I have had no luck.

Does anyone know where I can find a half decent one?

If not I'm thinking of drawing my own and putting it on deviantart.

Has anyone got any good ideas?

Over and out,

Amelia Gearhart

Undecided     Wink
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 06:35:45 pm »

A good steampunk what? Picture? Movie? TV-series?
The Legend of Korra is retrofuturistic, but perhaps not the era you're looking for.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:07:23 pm »

Gail Carriger's 'Soulless'.
Originally 5 novels now available as (so far) 2 volumes of Manga with the 3rd due.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Alexander R. Thorne
Deck Hand
United States United States

Professor of Reanimation, Miskatonic University

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:06:20 pm »

Greetings!

If your looking for some good steampunk anime/manga I would suggest the following
The Legend of Korra (if your young enough to have caught the show "Avatar" in the tail end of your childhood)
Full Metal Alchemist, which is a classic (though only subtly steamy)

Or Samurai 7, which starts a bit slow, but has some nice animation, a good plot, and some interesting characters

Hope that helps!

"Once upon a time, in some out of the way corner of that universe which is dispersed into numberless twinkling solar systems, there was a star upon which clever beasts invented knowing. That was the most arrogant and mendacious minute of 'world history,' but nevertheless, it was only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths, the star cooled and congealed, and the clever beasts had to die. One might invent such a fable, and yet he still would not have adequately illustrated how miserable, how shadowy and transient, how aimless and arbitrary the human intellect looks within nature. There were eternities during which it did not exist. And when it is all over with the human intellect, nothing will have happened." - Friedrich Nietzsche
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 02:28:37 am »

Last Exile is distinctly steamy. And we can't skip over Steamboy!

ETA: LE is an anime series, Steamboy is a film.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:30:18 am by MistressMagpie » Logged

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:42:27 am »

Doomed Megalopolis, which is about demonic activity during the founding of Tokyo in the early 20th century. Bizarre story, cool Japanese period setting, some of the most disturbing monster designs you'll ever see, and even a demon-fighting robot. This is a mid-90's anime, which I saw on VHS back in the day, but its available from Amazon on DVD. The Amazon review complains of misogynist content, which it does have.

Not for children or the squeamish, or for viewing in mixed company.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:51:42 am by RJBowman » Logged
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 04:50:00 am »

This anime is pretty famous, so you may well have seen it. Still it's a nice mix of steam and fantasy (if a little long).

Howl's Moving Castle

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:16:02 pm »

And we can't skip over Steamboy!

Yes, I'd second that. Steamboy is great.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 11:20:02 pm »

Has anyone seen Steam Detectives? It's basically a steampunk version of Batman. The main character even has a steam-powered automaton he calls in to deal with the really tough villains.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steam-Detectives-Complete-Collection-DVD/dp/B000CEV396/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1359152514&sr=1-2
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 11:22:41 pm by Gaijin_King » Logged

Gaijin_King
Gunner

Sci-fi author

SK_Author
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 05:36:10 am »

Oh, and I would also recommend Read or Die. It involves British secret agents with super powers who do battle with cloned historical figures including James Watts who fuses his steam engine with modern technology for their oh-so-evil plan. The sequel, R.O.D. the TV, also gets steampunky towards the end.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 06:21:06 am »

D. Gray Man has some neo-victorian elements in it. I seem to remember a few animes with airships, but I can't call them to mind right now. Elemental Gelade is kind of steampunk -ish. It's difficult to actually find a completely steampunk anime; the SF and fantasy ones all have the elements in them in various ways, I've found, and almost all of those have a strong current of SF and Alternative Universe about them. Escaflowne, (both the series and the animated movie) has some very steampunkish elements. It also has a subcast of 'furry' characters, which some might find distasteful, but it's still a good yarn.

A War on Geminar has giant robots and lots of mechanical tech stuff going on, but not much actual steaminess, unless you look at it sort of sideways; I've found that most of the rest of the Tenchi Muyo continuum works out the same way, not really steampunk unless you look at it from an unconventional angle.

That's about all I can think of at the moment that hasn't been mentioned yet.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:23:15 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 07:54:08 am »

Greeting, Amelia Gearhart here.

I am a big manga/anime fan right now and i've been spending hours trying to find a good steampunk themed one. Unfortunatly, I have had no luck.

Does anyone know where I can find a half decent one?

If not I'm thinking of drawing my own and putting it on deviantart.

Has anyone got any good ideas?

Over and out,

Amelia Gearhart

Undecided     Wink

Drawing your own is always a plus. You are going to find a lot of quasi-steampunk anime, but not really a lot of straight-Steampunk anime.  There are really too many Steampunk elements in Manga and Anime to enumerate, as I'm sure you are well aware by now.  But I doubt that any one Manga/ Anime (other than Steamboy) was so aimed at the heart of what we think is Steampunk.  You have a lot of Neo-Victorian influences related to Goth and Lolita Goth, and some of that shows in anime/manga like Trinity Blood.

Last Exile, Escaflowne and Full Metal Alchemist - all 3 already mentioned, kind of touch on Steampunk or a mix of Dieselpunk and Steampunk (very true for both Alchemist and Last Exile).  But note that a canonical version of the Steampunk movement in Japan did not exist until two years ago, and it's just taking roots right now with the Tokyo Steampunk Society(http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38619.0.html), so I expect that public interest in OUR exact brand of retro-futurism is still limited.

In the quasi-Steampunkish category you also have the Trigun anime (harks to Weird/Wild West),  and a lot from Miyazaki, like maybe Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind with it's post-apocalyptic/environmentalist message.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:11:28 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 11:45:39 pm »

And then there are things like "The Amazing Screw-on Head" that, while not properly anime, are animated and quite worthwhile. Smiley
GCCC
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 03:08:43 am »

Hello, all;

I need some help with some lists I'm compiling, and followers of this thread are surely qualified to offer advice.

I'm compiling lists of Steampunk literature by format (novels, e-publishing, graphic novels, etc.) I'm encountering a lot of manga being touted as Steampunk, but I'm a bit fuzzy on their bona fides. This becomes a relevant question for both novels and graphic novels, because quite a few manga have been published as what the Japanese refer to as "light novels" (what we call "young adult" novels). As I'm making no distinction between YA and non-YA books in the novels compilation, if they qualify, I'll need to include the relevant light novels. (NOTE:  Relevant to this thread, I'm only interested in manga; if any of the anime discussed on this thread has accompanying manga or books, please let me know.)

I've no problem whatsoever including the Fullmetal Alchemist series, since it exists in what I consider to be a very steampunk world (and they treat the woo-woo stuff as science). I've tentatively included the Trigun series as I've read it described as a sort of Weird West tale (although with what little I've seen of the anime, I can see no traces of Steampunkery). The Legend of Korra, on the other hand, along with its parent series Avatar, have appeared on some Steampunk lists, and I can't see why--yet. Apart from one character, I'm not certain Samurai 7 belongs on the list, either. Read or Die and its sequel series Read or Dream also has, to my mind, questionable Steampunk credentials. (Note also, that I have already been scouring the board for intel, and many of these manga were mentioned in other threads on Textual.)

So, before I go about adding these manga and their light novel adaptations series to the list, I would really appreciate some feedback on whether or not any of these belong on a Steampunk list.

(To see the work-in-progress novels list, see:  http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42449.0.html )

Thanking you in advance for your assistance, I remain,
GCCC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: