The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 15, 2019, 07:17:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SpaceClown's 2nd Costume Build - Will Be Pic Heavy  (Read 35260 times)
SpaceClown
Snr. Officer
United States United States

It's not stupid, it's ADVANCED!

« on: January 22, 2013, 07:48:45 pm »

Hello BG.

It’s been a while since I had a costume in mind that I wanted to work on.  After I finished the last one I started looking around the internet for some new ideas and happened upon the closed cell (EVA) foam Halo and Iron Man costumes that seemed to explode on the scene a few years ago.  I really liked what was possible with the foam, and how cheap and (apparently) user friendly it was, so I decided that I would try my hand at making a costume with that material. 

I started gathering what I would need as I looked for an actual costume application, and decided that I wanted to make either an automaton or a SP version of Iron Man or War Machine (admittedly, leaning more heavily toward War Machine). While I was still in the concept development phase of the build, my new wife decided she wanted me to make a costume based on the Mass Effect video game, using the foam. 

I agreed to make her armor for two reasons, one it would allow me to practice cutting and shaping the foam, and two, I have to live with her for the rest of my life, so it’s in my best interest to keep her happy.  After completing about half of her armor, she decided to table the costume for an undetermined amount of time.  Despite not finishing the Mass Effect armor, I gained a good working knowledge of how to cut and shape the foam material, how to join it and what the basic tolerances of the material was for carving and such.  With that knowledge in hand, I dove into developing my build. 

I started sketching and tinkering with designs.  Back when I was doing the sheriff costume, and the power glove that went with it, I came across a set of blueprints for an overlarge hand with fingers that were articulated to open and close.  At the time I thought it would be cool to have one giant robotic hand as part of a costume, but as I developed this new plan, I arrived at the obvious conclusion that there was no point in making only one giant robot hand when my natural physiology clearly called for two. 

Knowing that I’d have these two giant hands, and equally over-sized forearms to hide my actual hands and the mechanisms that work the fingers, I decided that I would have to make a slightly over-sized costume to keep some level of proportion.  I started trying to find out how I could get myself to appear a good deal bigger than I really am. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first step was to make myself a bit taller. To that end, I fabricated some very simple platforms that I could buckle my feet onto, to give me some additional inches.  The rest of the size I think will just come from the layering of the foam, and bulking myself up a bit. 

I also wanted a bit of articulation at the ball of the foot.  My entire foot is really small compared to the costume foot, but I didn't want to truncate the foot too much or it wouldn't look right.  I knew I would be extending the toe section ahead of the stilt, but I didn't want it to flop around as I walked.   I first decided to lay another piece of wood along the bottom of the toe section to add weight and keep the toe from bouncing as I walked, but as I thought more about it, I saw a way to add the weight, and a neat detail that may or may not make walking a bit more difficult, but would certainly look cooler for being there. 

I added a hinge between the stilt and the toe extension, so the foot would bend more naturally. 

Being a convention costume, I knew that I was going to have to walk around a good bit.  The EVA foam is tough, but I didn't think it would stand up to the wear of being used as the sole for the boots.  I wanted something tougher, which also had decent traction on carpet and floors, so I wouldn't go sliding around.  (Being on stilts or platforms like I plan to be will be dangerous enough without tossing all my traction out the window)  I don’t remember where I was when I saw this solution to that problem (it was either on the Replica Prop Forum or on the 401st.com), but as soon as I saw it I knew that would solve the toughness and traction issues perfectly.  I used a recycled rubber welcome mat, which I chopped up to serve as the sole.

I used a quick drying epoxy to adhere the sole to the platform and toe extension.  I also used some wood screws to further secure the soles to the stilts.   

Once the bottom was secure, I turned my attention to the strapping I’d need to attach the stilt to my foot.  I used nylon belt materiel and some plastic buckles to make a harness, and attached it to the stilt. 

Then it was time to begin applying the foam that would form the “plates” of metal.  I’d love to say that I found a neat set of patterns for all of the pieces, but as this is a completely custom costume, there are no patterns.  Instead I had to do a lot of planning and testing to get the final sections.  Once I had a piece that looked alright, I duplicated it so I’d have matching pieces for both boots then attached it to the stilt. 

The following pics are after several hours of work spread over a couple of days. 

Over the next couple of days I’ll be working on the toe section, and applying more detail to the boots themselves. 

SC

There is no problem in the world that cannot be overcome with the suitable application of high explosives.

First Build: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31253.0.html
Second One: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38856.0.html
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:38:23 pm »

I'll be watching with interest.

Air Defender Sellers
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:22:38 pm »

same here awesome build so far and you havent even finished the feet Smiley

Air Defender Sellers Espionage officer
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:58:19 pm »

Watching. This should be good

Stacy
Officer
Australia Australia

Played the crooked cross and got the boat.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 11:06:43 pm »

Those shoes are looking great, nicely done

Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 11:35:40 pm »

oooo looking very cool. I'm interested to hear how well the boot build holds up walking around. I've thought about making boot stilts of sorts for char ideas in past but was always worried wouldn't work to well. I look forward to hearing how this goes
gas mask doctor
Deck Hand

One who makes masks

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:20:24 am »

i will most definately be following this build. absolutely amazing i cant wait for the next update! keep up the good work!!

"Divinity of Hell! 
When devils will the blackest sins put on, they do suggest at first with heavenly shows"
- Shakespeare

"No animal nor man can SCREAM like I can!"
-Jack Skellington
Gunner Gregson
Snr. Officer
England England

Hired Gun, Gunsmith

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 03:21:06 am »

Yet another one Spaceclowns projects that fills me with hatred and envy.
 Grin

~Wildwire

Ananias S. Wildwire at your service, for a price of course.
PatronZero
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 09:59:50 am »

Wow. if the suit follows the clean lines of the boots it will be quite the conversation piece !

My question is what sort of weight to you see the finished costume being ?

One other inquiry if I may, are you going with a Gatling Gun as the main armament or something more SP-scientificy ?
The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:30:51 am »

I may have drooled

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
SpaceClown
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 05:03:01 pm »

First off, thanks to everyone for the comments.  I hope I can continue to meet expectations. 

My question is what sort of weight to you see the finished costume being ?

The weight issue, may as well be a non-issue.  The EVA foam is extremely light, and while I will likely be wearing a lot of the stuff, I don't think it's going to be prohibitive at all.  The heaviest sections are the boots, and the forearms (with hands attached).  The weight in these parts is going to come from the wooden structures that are necessary for those parts, but excluding those two sections, I don;t see the costume weighing more than 10 pounds. 

One other inquiry if I may, are you going with a Gatling Gun as the main armament or something more SP-scientificy ?

While I really like the idea of doing a Gatling style gun for the shoulder (complete with a trained monkey or something to turn the crank) I will probably not do that over the shoulder.  I will develop something else for the cannon (possibly even simply a little cannon). 

I plan on having an arc reactor of some type in the chest, so it follows that the SPWM would have repulsors, but since I can't get a bend at the wrist to flash them (at least I haven't figured that out yet), adding them to the design would be wasteful.  Perhaps the shoulder weapon could fill in for the offensive applications of the repulsors.  We'll see.  Part of the fun of this costume is making things up on the fly, so until I glue it to the costume, everything remains in development. 

Small update time. 

I wasn't able to get quite as far as I wanted to last night, as handling the toe section turned out to be a little tricky.  I got the shape nailed down, but didn't manage any of the detailing work. 

So between now and the weekend I’ll be applying some detail to the boots, as well as making the removable plate that will go on the top to hide my sneaker.  Making it removable requires a bit more work, but that way I'll be able to pop off the plate and have easy access to the buckles.   

I plan on working my way up the costume, as far as the foam goes, so I’ll be doing the shins, followed by the knees, thighs, etc.  I’ll likely start working on the hands alongside this stuff, since they will require a lot of cutting and drilling to attach all of the hardware that I’m going to need to attach.

To make working on the costume easier, I plan on making a really cheap mold of myself from my ankles to my neck (possibly higher, depending on how my courage holds.)  I’ll be using the duct tape method for this.  Hopefully for my next update I’ll have the boots detailed and the duct tape dummy all ready to go. 

SC
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 05:18:55 pm »

might I suggest instead of the repulsors on the palms that can't work quite right arm mounted cannons akin to the power glove you made in your other build? Perhaps Small repulsor gattling guns.
SpaceClown
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 05:31:27 pm »

might I suggest instead of the repulsors on the palms that can't work quite right arm mounted cannons akin to the power glove you made in your other build? Perhaps Small repulsor gattling guns.

Not a bad idea.  I make something with a smaller profile.  I'm going to be plenty wide enough as it is without a lot of stuff sticking out the sides.  WP traditionally has weapons mounted beneath the forearm, so I may do something like that, but keep the repulsor tech there instead of conventional weaponry. 

Good call.

SC
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 05:35:06 pm »

Underslung would look pretty awesome too I think especially if you think about it being all heavy metal.  Would be more easily underslung to not crush the suits forearms.  Shoulderwise could do the cannon or some sort of lightning or ray cannon. Could even have rocket launchers like sometimes are on one of the shoulders
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 08:09:19 pm »

Just replied to follow your build.  Grin

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 08:26:46 pm »

This is looking fantastic. I will be following with interest.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

Preacher of Ancient Ways, Captain of S.S. Mjöllnir

jadedhero1331
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 09:17:18 pm »

This is looking awesome already!
I'm glad I was able to catch this right at the beginning of the project.
Can't wait to see more progress.

Keeper of the Watchhouse at the Edge of the World

Come talk brewing with us over at The Brewers' Guild!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »

How tall will you be at the end?
SpaceClown
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 10:46:44 pm »

How tall will you be at the end?

I'm 5'10", or about 1.78 meters regularly, and the platforms give me 6", so that's about 6'4" or 1.9 meters.  There may be some additional height added on top of my head, but not too much or I won't be able to get through doors.   Smiley

SC
PatronZero
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 03:07:26 am »

Since gauntlet-forearm positioned weapons have been mentioned perhaps a different track might be considered than projectile-beam emitters.

Not to borrow from another genre but in the tabletop game, Warhammer 40K, some of the armored soldiers carry what are referred to as chainswords.  Briefly described as weaponized chainsaws about the size of traditional great swords, perhaps a scaled-back version could be housed in said gauntlets and to make such less cumbersome, the 'blades' could appear as recessed-ready to deploy as needed.

Attached below is a well executed LARP prop of said weapon.

Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

Preacher of Ancient Ways, Captain of S.S. Mjöllnir

jadedhero1331
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 03:23:47 am »

Since gauntlet-forearm positioned weapons have been mentioned perhaps a different track might be considered than projectile-beam emitters.

Not to borrow from another genre but in the tabletop game, Warhammer 40K, some of the armored soldiers carry what are referred to as chainswords.  Briefly described as weaponized chainsaws about the size of traditional great swords, perhaps a scaled-back version could be housed in said gauntlets and to make such less cumbersome, the 'blades' could appear as recessed-ready to deploy as needed.

Attached below is a well executed LARP prop of said weapon.

I very much like this idea!
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 03:51:51 am »

*nods* the underslung gattlings could be very much like the assault cannons too. Typhoon Missle Launchers on shoulders lol
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 04:13:52 am »

I,too,shall watch this with much anticipation! Grin

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Lt. Thomas Corvidae
Snr. Officer

Gentleman Artist and Collector of Curious Things

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 03:53:56 pm »

Huzzah! Another SpaceClown build!

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt
Zeppelin Captain

Bettering mankind through science and engineering!

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 03:58:46 am »

This is gonna be awesome! Now where did my popcorn run off to...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: