The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 01:38:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripper Street on BBC1 (Victorian Detective Drama)  (Read 15941 times)
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

mgfarley
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2013, 01:26:57 pm »

Anyway it was a criminally short season (no pun intended) and I'm damn glad a second one has been confirmed.

I thought eight episodes was fairly generous for a British TV series.

Over the last few years I've noticed that drama series (especially on the BBC) tend to be getting shorter, presumably as a result of budget cuts. For example, the first series of Luther was 6 episodes long but the second was only 4. The current series of Doctor Who is 13 episodes long but has been split into two parts with a six month gap. Dirk Gently, which I thoroughly enjoyed before it got the axe, only had 3 episodes.

I can understand it in the case of feature length dramas (such as Sherlock) or stand-alone stories (such a Black Mirror) but I think most story arcs need at least a half-dozen episodes to be resolved satisfactorily. This is one of the reasons I enjoyed Ripper Street so much. For example, they waited until the seventh episode to explain Jackson's origins, instead of having to shoe-horn it in much earlier.

I suppose I've been spoiled by American TV where most of the series I watch are 13 episodes long. Even Game of Thrones (which apparently costs HBO in excess of $50m per series) gets 10 episodes. Most mainstream shows get over 20 episodes per year. Oh well, it's better to have quality than quantity I suppose.

r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

aka Helga Von Flam, Lady Aviatrix Extraordinaire

« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2013, 01:49:24 pm »

Hmmm, well I actually don't fancy anyone in the show but that isn't detracting one iota from my enjoyment of it. Although I'll admit to thinking the sister in tonights final episode was kinda cute.

Spoiler, if you haven't seen it yet you've been warned!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway it was a criminally short season (no pun intended) and I'm damn glad a second one has been confirmed.

the sister reminded me of the evil baby in The Simpsons because of those eyebrows!
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2013, 02:11:17 pm »

Oh well, it's better to have quality than quantity I suppose.

And if you consider that these episodes are a full hour sans any commercials and most U.S. primetime shows are actually only 42 minutes (barring the kind of shows you get on HBO / BBC America and the like) our 8 episodes would translate to 10 or 11 had they been made there.

Anyway, 2nd series of 'Ripper Street' confirmed, 2nd series of 'Copper' confirmed, 7th series of 'Murdoch Mysteries' confirmed....

I'm happy.  Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2013, 02:24:27 pm »

Anyway, 2nd series of 'Ripper Street' confirmed, 2nd series of 'Copper' confirmed, 7th series of 'Murdoch Mysteries' confirmed....

I'm happy.  Wink

Me too. Plus there's going to be a third series of Hell on Wheels. I've just started watching it and I'm already well and truly hooked.
Hamilton
Officer

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2013, 04:37:27 pm »

Larks, such excitement, I am moist already.

All we need now is for someone to fully commission " The Escapades of Two Victorian Gentlemen" and we will be truly satisfied. I understand that they are looking to cast Richard E Grant & Tom Hiddleston as two errant brothers on the run from nefarious Tongs of London. Madcap adventures ensue mostly involving subterranean plots, laudanum and seedy establishments. Airships are sure to feature whenever they emerge from the tunnels. Set in 1874, it should prove a winner! Keep those ears to the ground and your eyes to the skies.

L.H.
Lucy Lockhart
Deck Hand
England England

"When women go wrong, men go right after them." Ma

Alexandra Peel
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2013, 05:16:46 pm »

Waistcoats and hats at a jaunty angle are no guarantee of attraction. The good (or deliciously bad) Captain is a very intelligent rake. He also possesses a luscious sleepy eyed gaze.
Ms Frame, you've put your finger on it regarding the attraction of the Captain.
Mr Hamilton, re: The Escapades of Two Victorian Gentlemen; go for it! I'm loving it already, could I request hot air balloons please?!

Lucy Lockhart (finders custodes)
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2013, 05:40:58 pm »

Waistcoats and hats at a jaunty angle are no guarantee of attraction. The good (or deliciously bad) Captain is a very intelligent rake. He also possesses a luscious sleepy eyed gaze.
Mr Hamilton, re: The Escapades of Two Victorian Gentlemen; go for it! I'm loving it already, could I request hot air balloons please?!

I'd vote for Victorian women with big balloons as well.
Hamilton
Officer

« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2013, 06:22:12 pm »

I'd vote for Victorian women with big balloons as well.

Dear Madam & Sir.

Felicitations. I believe the tone will be Fu Manchu meets Lark Rise to Candleford - but edgier.

I remain uncertain over the nature of dirigible however I think we can rule out balloons large or otherwise - I am sorry Admiral if I disappoint. Impressive as they might be on the surface, balloons are akin to unruly puppies. Great expectations can often disappoint, particularly where hot air is involved. Of course, the question is whether the Aerostats might be rigid, semi rigid or simply blimps. I know some Ladies have strong views on such matters and would defer accordingly were such a decision in my hands.

Sorry for venturing off-topic, my apologies. Delighted to see the good Captain cleared himself last night - obviously he is the only blighter with a a modicum of savvy. Clearly drink and hanky panky works for him, if only it were so for the dreary Edmund Reid - the man seems immune to enjoyment. Still hoping that the dynamic duo of Jackson/Drake leads the way in the second series. Perhaps Reid can don petticoats, in an attempt to catch the Ripper and be caught up in Transvestite trafficking to Transylvania. This would act as an ideal bridge from the last episode.

Yours in Aspic,

L.H.   

Ponyboy
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2013, 08:06:53 pm »

As of now, the wife and I are waiting for the seventh episode to air on BBC America this sunday. It has taken every ounce of will not to delve into this thread, for I fear I will learn to much!

While we have enjoyed the show so far I would h have to agree that the later episodes do not seem as well thought out as the first...

Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.
Ebonrook
Gunner

david_haddon
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2013, 12:54:10 pm »

I only just watched Episode 1, so please forgive that I skipped the majority of posts. Though the ones I did skim through made me giggle, I mean you have to admit there is an irony of some kind to complaints about historical accuracy on a forum devoted to anachronism? hehe. Either way the reason I am posting is because I did a search after watching episode 1, it felt really steampunky to me because of the inaccuracy. Was enjoyable I thought, but it did borrow heavily from the RDJr Sherlock Holmes movie I thought.
Christophe Cocoricau
Gunner
Poland Poland

Christophe Kay
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2013, 02:10:42 pm »

Fortunately I have a tunneling software so I can watch as many Brittish shows as I want, that includes Jeremy Kyle.

C.C.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2013, 02:12:51 pm »

I can watch as many Brittish shows as I want, that includes Jeremy Kyle.

I am so, SO sorry....

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2013, 05:38:04 pm »

I can watch as many Brittish shows as I want, that includes Jeremy Kyle.

Yeah, there is always a harsh price to pay...   Grin

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2013, 06:46:36 pm »

Fortunately I have a tunneling software so I can watch as many Brittish shows as I want, that includes Jeremy Kyle.

You poor, poor creature. On behalf of the Nation I feel compelled to apologise for our fair Isle spawning such a vile specimen of 'humanity' as Jeremy Kyle.

'Sorry'  Sad

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2013, 12:37:34 am »

Pswah! Jeremy Kyle embodies the great Victorian ethic of the carnival freak show, with Mr Kyle himself the Barker.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Christophe Cocoricau
Gunner
Poland Poland

Christophe Kay
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2013, 05:08:15 pm »

It's ok, I spent 3 years in Middlesbrough, I can take it. Been to Edinburgh around 2-3 months ago, enjoyed the Library thoroughly, made new friends while I was at it. Malt Shovel is nice too, had some ale and 12 years old Glenkinchies, wrote a poem.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2013, 06:49:22 pm »

It's ok, I spent 3 years in Middlesbrough... <snip>

Good lord man, what was your crime?  Grin

For those who don't know about Middlesbrough in the Northeast of England,.... well.....lets put it this way - If the planet ever needs an enema, I know where it's going...  Cheesy

SS
Christophe Cocoricau
Gunner
Poland Poland

Christophe Kay
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2013, 12:28:08 am »

A Video Games Design course was the charges. Somehow, I haven't had problems with the locals not even one time. And I will add I used to go for walks at 2-3 am, sometimes a takeway, sometimes just cruising, still nothing, ocasional prostitute or drug addict, that's it. I was also on good terms with the bouncers at the clubs. I'm fairly likable I suppose, eccentric perhaps, but fairly likable. Some told me I look like a mugger, I suppose it's my Van Graff black leather jacket and I was sporting a black Adidas beanie at the time. The trousers however were plaid, and apparently I used to wear a pair of golf shoes *Lee said so*. Middlesbrough is high ranking in the chronicles if you catch my tweed.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2013, 09:52:05 am »

Surprised noone's mentioned this before now, but in one of my random wanderings into my local branch of (in BBC speak) a well known high street music and electronics store I noticed this was out on DVD. Think I know where part of my next pay checks going.  Grin
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2013, 11:46:31 am »

Surprised noone's mentioned this before now, but in one of my random wanderings into my local branch of (in BBC speak) a well known high street music and electronics store I noticed this was out on DVD. Think I know where part of my next pay checks going.  Grin

And the Blu Ray is nice too. Smiley
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2013, 04:24:43 pm »

To avoid clashing with Downton Abbey (I assume), Ripper Street returns this Monday as opposed to the original Sunday slot. I'm not sure how well they are advertising that fact, so thought I'd mention it just in case.

Ripper Street: Series 2 Trailer - BBC One

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2013, 04:44:15 pm »

Knew it was back soon. Didn't know when though. Tbh It probably has been moved to Monday to avoid clashing with Downton Abbey since the beeb's going to have a hard time competing with that full stop, but there are probably a multitude of other explanations/reasons behind the shift.
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2013, 07:25:11 pm »

Just thought I'd bump this back up to remind people it's back tonight!   Grin
Hamilton
Officer

« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2013, 09:30:53 pm »

Gosh!

It's back tonight! I've become damp once again with the prospect. Time to release the Malt and settle back into that comfy waistcoat and brogues combo. Tweeds be damned, I'll use my flannels. Serious viewing demands comfort and itch-free attire. 

Whilst I would not wish to advocate gratuitous thuggery and rumpy-pumpy, I trust this new chapter will serve both in good measure. Hopefully Edmund Reid has become suitably unfastened since last we met.

I predict two bodies within the first 15 minutes and disrobement within 35. Any advance?

Regards, L.H.       
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2013, 10:53:24 am »

I started watching it, then promptly fell asleep.  iPlayer it is then.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: