The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:58:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripper Street on BBC1 (Victorian Detective Drama)  (Read 15942 times)
ClaraRose
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2013, 03:20:37 pm »

I'm finding that the earlier episodes were much more interesting, and believable, than the later ones, so far.  The plot where the police sergeant opens his heart out to a prostitute was most trite, and the same policeman joins in with a plot to do a major bank robbery even more unbelievable.  Sorry to disagree with the lady above who loved this episode.  (loved the love birds though.  Cry)
*dimples in response* I watched this episode again and whilst I still liked Drake's more central role, I did begin to find Iain Glen and the plot to rob the Mint somewhat far fetched when watched a little more objectively. We shall see what tonight brings.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2013, 03:23:04 pm »

It's a televisual entertainment and if people only watch it to pedantically nitpick about the anachronisms then they should switch over to a documentary. Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2013, 04:04:23 pm »

I liked it, but I agree the credibility of the plot suffered slightly from a lack of on in depth back story. It was a very intriguing insight into Drake's combat history, but felt like you had to take a lot on faith as far as the close relationship between him and his CO, purely because we hadn't seen or heard about him before.

Obviously this will be down to time constraints as much as anything, so we may have to put up with similar things in future installments. The references to the woefully destitute situations of many of the lower class ex military (along with many other folks of course) were unfortunately pretty spot on. Given it was largely their effort and sacrifices that helped to build an extremely wealthy British Empire, It's not too hard to imagine how resentful some of them may well have been towards the crown.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:17:47 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

aka Helga Von Flam, Lady Aviatrix Extraordinaire

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 06:08:55 pm »

It's a televisual entertainment and if people only watch it to pedantically nitpick about the anachronisms then they should switch over to a documentary. Smiley

yup, my thoughts exactly. It's full of beautiful costumes and brilliant locations, good actors and compelling storylines. It may not be exactly accurate to period in all details, but tbh most tv drama isn't anyway (my boyfriend constantly picks up cars/telephones/outfits that are not exactly the right time period...to the year!).
It's meant to be entertainment, and that's exactly what it does for me Smiley
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2013, 07:50:07 pm »

All historical entertainments can be looked at on various levels.  I loved reading, above, about the fire extinguisher that was 30 years too early - that sort of comment adds to my enjoyment.  I am being very careful not to criticise the costumes, some of which are not totally in-time.  However they are pretty.  As an entertainment this is very good.  But I cannot turn off my brain not to notice internal inconsistencies and illogic.  That is just me.

Don't sit next to me at the cinema watching a historical drama though!
r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2013, 08:49:46 pm »

Don't sit next to me at the cinema watching a historical drama though!

yes, very much like my chap...complaining that a telephone in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was very slightly wrong vintage!
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

ptliontamer
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2013, 06:10:18 am »

very much enjoying it in the US. Adore the costumes -- the mix of patterns and colors is very pleasing to me.

First and foremost, it is a procedural, albeit a very pretty and well done one.

Last procedural that really grabbed me was Life on Mars. Ripper Street isn't as good but it's solid.

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
Plutus Sar
Officer

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2013, 07:14:43 pm »

I thought the last episode was very good, the inclusion of a "mental health" element (the drugs and the attempted lobotomy) was very chilling.....

"The problem is not that I was born in the wrong time, but that I should have been born in a time which has never existed..."
ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2013, 12:11:44 am »

I'm quite enjoying this series.  I just have one question.  Why is everyone wearing green almost all the time? Is it that the area is full of Irish immigrants?  I'm a yank who's very interested in UK history, culture, etc., but this one escapes me.

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2013, 10:38:15 pm »

Good question.

It's certainly true that dark green was a colour used in some garments, but I just assume it's a design choice. It's interesting to note that the costume designer herself is Irish, which may go some way to explaining it.  Cheesy

http://www.iftn.ie/training/TrainingNews/?act1=record&aid=73&force=1&only=1&rid=4285693&tpl=archnews

ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2013, 10:40:30 pm »

It does make it seem like all the people are "sticking together" with the colour choice Smiley  I like it. 
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 07:06:53 am »

Capt. Jackson

I'd bang him.
Hamilton
Officer

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 09:46:49 pm »

Capt. Jackson

I'd bang him.

Madam,

I appreciate that the sentiment was expressed from one colonial to another (albeit fictional) however I take issue with the appalling lack of care over grammar. Your comment is open to interpretation, that is I should or I would  .

Obviously the verb should is used where it expresses an obligation, a necessity, or a prediction. Whereas would expresses a wish or a customary action.

In short, it is unclear whether the act must be performed as a matter of duty or simply as a desirable, (if  somewhat routine) biological function.

Either way, I must say I am somewhat disheartened - what became of romance/foreplay?

Yours in sublimation,

L.H.

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 11:01:57 pm »

Capt. Jackson

I'd bang him.

Madam,

I appreciate that the sentiment was expressed from one colonial to another (albeit fictional) however I take issue with the appalling lack of care over grammar. Your comment is open to interpretation, that is I should or I would  .

Obviously the verb should is used where it expresses an obligation, a necessity, or a prediction. Whereas would expresses a wish or a customary action.

In short, it is unclear whether the act must be performed as a matter of duty or simply as a desirable, (if  somewhat routine) biological function.

Either way, I must say I am somewhat disheartened - what became of romance/foreplay?

Yours in sublimation,

L.H.

Brilliant.
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2013, 12:45:29 am »

Capt. Jackson

I'd bang him.

Madam,

Yours in sublimation,

L.H.

Brilliant.

Is it truly a lack of grammar or a lack of interpretation of intent? But, in this instance should and would could equality apply. If it is truly a duty, well how desirous!

And as for foreplay (I don't see much romance as of yet from the Cap't), judging from what was already show in his paid interactions with Rose, foreplay is very much his forte.

Hamilton
Officer

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 05:40:09 pm »

Is it truly a lack of grammar or a lack of interpretation of intent? But, in this instance should and would could equality apply. If it is truly a duty, well how desirous!

And as for foreplay (I don't see much romance as of yet from the Cap't), judging from what was already show in his paid interactions with Rose, foreplay is very much his forte.

Madam,

Obviously, one has to do ones duty and I salute your willingness to go beyond that. I should however venture that the Captain's forte may also be his foible. As I recall in a recent episode he was dealt a rather large blow to his ego - at seemingly no cost. Still, I am pleased that Homer's willingness to act as as a test subject has enabled the girls to succeed.  

All in all, I suspect that as a "ripping yarn", it would be better served by disposing of the worthy, but dull, Edmund Reid and concentrating on a Jackson/Drake double act. This would , methinks, bring a greater opportunity for gratuitous fornication and thuggery. Ah if only HBO had been in charge.

I am, once again your unfaithful servant,

L.H.        
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:09:35 pm by Hamilton » Logged
Lucy Lockhart
Deck Hand
England England

"When women go wrong, men go right after them." Ma

Alexandra Peel
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2013, 06:21:55 pm »

I say, Hamilton, forget the grammar! Ms Frame is obviously interested in one thing from Captain Jackson and I'm with her all the way on this one. You know what they say; one Yank and they're down!
L.L

Lucy Lockhart (finders custodes)
Hamilton
Officer

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2013, 07:08:20 pm »

I say, Hamilton, forget the grammar! Ms Frame is obviously interested in one thing from Captain Jackson and I'm with her all the way on this one. You know what they say; one Yank and they're down!
L.L

Madam,

Mistress Frame has expressed a strong desire for familiarity with the good Captain and I gather that you share that view. There is however no excuse for imprecision; I merely pointed out that some clarification was required. Given that the Captain's attentions are much sought after , it would surely be helpful to differentiate between a casual but meaningful dalliance between shared souls in a communion of love from the simple wish to put another notch in the bedpost of life, as it were. Whilst such endeavours would be unlikely to put the Empire at risk, we British do have standards.

Is it the combination of waistcoats and hats worn at a jaunty angle that attracts? I myself prefer a beret and a wooly jumper - much more sensible for our climate - yet strangely compelling in its own way.

As you appear to be a firm advocate of historical Drama and waistcoats, can I refer you to "City Of Vice" [Channel 4 Cert 15] -  18th Century Bow Street Runners, gratuitous thuggery and hanky panky - need I say more.

L.H.   

r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2013, 07:48:09 pm »

last one tonight  Undecided
Hamilton
Officer

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2013, 08:19:52 pm »

Madam,

It is not often I welcome an interjection from the esteemed Principality. However I am indebted to you as it had completely slipped my mind.

I am currently considering a small tincture of malt to wet ones whistle - Isle of Jura comes to mind. I doubt however that this will be the "last one tonight". I would be delighted if you could join me - vicariously if you wish. What say you?

To allay any suspicions I should say that I enjoy leaks and daffodils - although at different times and positions.

Yours in expectation,

L.H.
r_is_for_rachel
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2013, 08:50:14 pm »

Madam,

It is not often I welcome an interjection from the esteemed Principality. However I am indebted to you as it had completely slipped my mind.

I am currently considering a small tincture of malt to wet ones whistle - Isle of Jura comes to mind. I doubt however that this will be the "last one tonight". I would be delighted if you could join me - vicariously if you wish. What say you?

To allay any suspicions I should say that I enjoy leaks and daffodils - although at different times and positions.

Yours in expectation,

L.H.

well i have heard that there is to be a second series, so we can console ourselves with that thought.

I tend to be a lady of temperance, but i shall raise a glass of fruit juice instead!

I'm glad you appreciate leeks and daffodils and are careful not to mix them up, a vase of leeks is not the most aesthetic Smiley

good to make your acquaintance
Hamilton
Officer

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2013, 10:03:13 pm »

well i have heard that there is to be a second series, so we can console ourselves with that thought.

I tend to be a lady of temperance, but i shall raise a glass of fruit juice instead!

I'm glad you appreciate leeks and daffodils and are careful not to mix them up, a vase of leeks is not the most aesthetic Smiley

good to make your acquaintance

Madam,

A second by Jove! This calls for a stiff one. [Isle of Jura large glass.] I trust this will not offend your sensibilities.

Treat yourself to firm glass of pineapple. Remember to remove the prickles. Personally I cannot abide fruit - although I believe the Belgians can do wonders in beer. Pomegranates are useful for quelling the natives I understand - if thrown with adequate force. I rely on muffins myself.

Anyhow I propose a toast to the chaps and their waistcoats!

L.H.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:50:17 am by Hamilton » Logged
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2013, 04:49:39 am »

L.L

Madam,

Mistress Frame has expressed a strong desire for familiarity with the good Captain and I gather that you share that view. There is however no excuse for imprecision; I merely pointed out that some clarification was required. Given that the Captain's attentions are much sought after , it would surely be helpful to differentiate between a casual but meaningful dalliance between shared souls in a communion of love from the simple wish to put another notch in the bedpost of life, as it were. Whilst such endeavours would be unlikely to put the Empire at risk, we British do have standards.

Is it the combination of waistcoats and hats worn at a jaunty angle that attracts? I myself prefer a beret and a wooly jumper - much more sensible for our climate - yet strangely compelling in its own way.

As you appear to be a firm advocate of historical Drama and waistcoats, can I refer you to "City Of Vice" [Channel 4 Cert 15] -  18th Century Bow Street Runners, gratuitous thuggery and hanky panky - need I say more.

L.H.   

Waistcoats and hats at a jaunty angle are no guarantee of attraction. The good (or deliciously bad) Captain is a very intelligent rake. He also possesses a luscious sleepy eyed gaze.
Hamilton
Officer

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2013, 09:55:45 am »

Waistcoats and hats at a jaunty angle are no guarantee of attraction. The good (or deliciously bad) Captain is a very intelligent rake. He also possesses a luscious sleepy eyed gaze.

Madam,

I should point out that I myself am handy with a shovel and am known to affect a sleepy eye gaze after a couple of shandys. I have seen no evidence that this causes ladies to swoon.

I am starting to doubt your sincerity.

L.H. 
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2013, 10:44:28 am »

Hmmm, well I actually don't fancy anyone in the show but that isn't detracting one iota from my enjoyment of it. Although I'll admit to thinking the sister in tonights final episode was kinda cute.

Spoiler, if you haven't seen it yet you've been warned!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway it was a criminally short season (no pun intended) and I'm damn glad a second one has been confirmed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: