The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 03:58:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripper Street on BBC1 (Victorian Detective Drama)  (Read 15996 times)
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2013, 04:40:13 pm »

Personally I don't understand why people have landline phones and TVs any more, the internet can fully replace those; it's just people unwilling to release themselves from the past that make it impossible to move forward.

Says a man on a forum dedicated to a subculture which revels in both the past and obsolete technology.

Excuse me while I go and replace my irony meter.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2013, 05:26:17 pm »

Says a man on a forum dedicated to a subculture which revels in both the past and obsolete technology.

"obsolete technology" - you're on a forum. on the Internet. Steampunk is anachronistic, by no means "dedicated" to anything obsolete. Ever seen a steampunk with a mobile phone? I have, in fact I can't think of anyone without.

Rockula - it wouldn't be much work for the telecoms to provide IP technology to replace existing landlines. The people who don't have internet access wouldn't even know the difference, since they could just route the call traffic through a rudimentary modem, compatible with existing technology. They'd then have one less protocol to worry about maintaining and they could start thinking about providing more consistent internet access for a change.

I realised that this doesn't address the issue of TV - it doesn't cost that much more than a TV license to have internet access at home. This could be linked to a set-top box of some description and no-one pays any more license fees. The expense of broadcasting is reduced since it all goes down the tubes, and better availability means better TV. Job done.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:36:44 pm by DreamHazard » Logged

Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2013, 06:00:51 pm »

"obsolete technology" - you're on a forum. on the Internet. Steampunk is anachronistic, by no means "dedicated" to anything obsolete. Ever seen a steampunk with a mobile phone? I have, in fact I can't think of anyone without.

Did I say anywhere that any of the above WAS obsolete technology?

I was merely pointing out the cognitive dissonance in the idea that people who don't utilise 'up to the minute' technology serve to hold technological progress back, whilst embracing a subculture where one of the main focuses is the idea of a technologically advanced (in ideas and concepts if not materials) 19th Century.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2013, 01:21:31 am »

*Cough...Cough "its a TV show ...Cough Cough... "Not real"

Wink

Yes this is a fair point and I'm happy to accept a certain amount of artistic license but there is a point where it gets silly.

This is a bit of a weakness even in contemporary crime dramas, where easy techno solutions are used to smooth the plot and they are unsatisfying whatever level of technology you use.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2013, 08:19:27 pm »

<snip>

I have a feeling that independent shows are going to become more and more popular using youtube and the like as a platform, not to mention the Netflix Originals, which provide a unique televised experience without the politics and crap (although one of their shows IS about politics and crap Cheesy ). Personally I'd love to see the internet as the sole platform for programmes, and there's no reason it shouldn't be. There's enough ad revenue on youtube for some content creators to be paid quite handsomely for their time, so why not a proper TV show? I can see it becoming a massively advantageous platform in the future, especially as content creators on youtube are paid per view, meaning that they have a rolling income rather than a budget per show and a target viewing figure. So something that starts off as "hey look, this is a good idea, it'd be great if they had a bit of backing" could well end up with mainstream viewing figures, and the best part is it's on demand, and free.

I know the above paragraph is not really related to the topic in hand but an interesting thought nonetheless. Personally I don't understand why people have landline phones and TVs any more, the internet can fully replace those; it's just people unwilling to release themselves from the past that make it impossible to move forward.

A nice idea, but don't hold your breath - there is not enough guaranteed revenue available from IPTV platforms such as Youtube and Revision3 for big TV production companies and content providers such as the BBC, to be worth considering as a viable delivery system. Then there are copyright and legal issues with media on the internet, and while I agree the dinosaur legislation behind it should die quickly, that isn't likely to happen anytime soon. Yeah, there are some small scale tie-ins with the big broadcasters on Youtube, but there is little in the way of serious content (other than the "pay to rent" titles, which for the most part are not that recent). With professional production companies there is an overriding factor in all decisions - Money.

An independent crew could certainly do it, but here is the problem - 'independent' usually means "little to no budget"...  You are not going to see the big production values from the likes of Ripper Street / Sherlock etc. Don't believe me? - then take a look at some of the fan-made or independent movies freely available. Yeah some may be entertaining and well done considering....but would you have paid to see one in a cinema?... Undecided  And those are just 'one offs' let alone making a regular multi-episode / serial TV show.
That's not to say it can't be done, but you would find it hard going to secure any notable TV actor with a small budget (unless the actor donates his / her time, which does happen occasionally).

All in all, it won't happen for a long time. If ever.

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2013, 11:27:23 pm »

Having just watched the series finale I have actually become incredibly enraged at the decision to axe the show (were I to be provided with the names and address of those responsible for making said decision, money no object, they would be soon receiving a visit they would most likely like to forget).

If nothing else, the decision to cancel it part way through the airing of the second series feels like a massive F**K YOU to the writers and production crew, since the last two episodes were obviously written with a view to the show being given a third series (but being given no opportunity to write and film a new ending they were forced to show the 'cliffhanger' ending), and set up several opportunities for story arcs to explore over the course of the next series, but knowing that it's been canceled makes it seem lackluster, particularly since it seems like the second and (theoretical third) series were been written together, which makes the 'lackingness' early episodes much more understandable. At the very least, if it isn't given another series I feel it should be given a one off 'special' or similar, just to resolve the unfinished storylines if nothing else.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2013, 12:06:06 am »

At the very least, if it isn't given another series I feel it should be given a one off 'special' or similar, just to resolve the unfinished storylines if nothing else.
I agree

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Orndorff
Gunner

« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2013, 06:17:21 pm »

At the very least, if it isn't given another series I feel it should be given a one off 'special' or similar, just to resolve the unfinished storylines if nothing else.
I agree

As do I.

delCano
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

Gravatar

elKano_L
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2013, 02:30:55 pm »

I just want to inform everybody that all hope is not yet lost.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2013, 03:20:43 pm »

It would really be one in the eye for the Beeb if Amazon/LoveFilm make this, it gets shown on BBC afterwards and it ends up being  voted 'Best Drama' or similar in the annual TV awards.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2013, 10:03:21 pm »

Personally I don't understand why people have landline phones and TVs any more, the internet can fully replace those; it's just people unwilling to release themselves from the past that make it impossible to move forward.

From a technical standpoint ...
Mobile internet is slow, unrealibe, crap and way over priced!
Hard wired will always be better then wireless (except when hard wired doesn't exist)
As to pure web tv?
I am F**Ked off with the about of spammy, crappy, time and bandwidth waisting advertisement current injected into online video's
The other day I had to sit through 3 poxy adverts just to watch a 25 minute video!

If we only look to the future, we will never see the mistakes we made in the past.
If we continue to look to the past, we will continue to make the same mistakes over and over again!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Palmyrin Rosette
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2013, 09:09:49 pm »

I'm sad to announce that Ripper Street has been cancelled.

Jerome Flynn (DS Drake) confirmed it during an interview with BBC Radio London, blaming the fact that it was scheduled against reality tv drivel on ITV for the poor ratings this series.

The BBC have issued a statement saying that "the second series didn't bring the audience we hoped and in order to make room for creative renewal and new ideas it won't be returning". Incidentally Big School (the worst sitcom I've seen in years) and Atlantis (which is just awful) have both been renewed for new series next year.

There's a petition in case you would like to take the opportunity to vent your displeasure at the BBC and convince them to change their minds: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/reverse-the-bbc-s-decision-to-cancel-ripper-street

Just signed the petition. I have never seen Big School, but Atlantis is dross, they cancelled Merlin for this remember.
 With regard to the BBC's  "creative renewal and new ideas" there is nothing but repetition and endless series based on cooking, the housing market, ballroom dancing etc. etc.. Angry

Have you ever been alive?
Curious sensation isn't it..
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2013, 07:44:07 pm »

Ripper Street fans protest against BBC axing by voting crime drama the best TV show of 2013.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-12-30/ripper-street-fans-protest-against-bbc-axing-by-voting-crime-drama-the-best-tv-show-of-2013

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2013, 11:09:31 pm »

Ripper Street fans protest against BBC axing by voting crime drama the best TV show of 2013.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-12-30/ripper-street-fans-protest-against-bbc-axing-by-voting-crime-drama-the-best-tv-show-of-2013

Brilliant result. Another two fingers for the BBC!

Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2014, 05:42:24 pm »

So,
A BBC spokeswoman said: “The BBC is looking at partnerships that could enable ‘Ripper Street’ to return, but at better value to license fee payers.”
does rather give away the fact that the BBC accountants are unhappy with the cost of Ripper Street regardless of viewing figures - as has been pointed out, the BBC has a unique form of funding which means they don't have to give a toss what the customers (bill-payers) think.

I wonder what order management decisions were taken? Did the accountant's order to kill it off come before the scheduler's decision to bury the show on Monday night in order to slash viewing figures thus justifying cancelling the show, giving the false impression it was not because of the cost but due to unpopularity? The Radio Times viewer's vote suggests that the lack of popularity argument is a load of tosh.

Unhappy and unwilling BBC funder...

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2014, 07:22:56 pm »

So,
A BBC spokeswoman said: “The BBC is looking at partnerships that could enable ‘Ripper Street’ to return, but at better value to license fee payers.”
does rather give away the fact that the BBC accountants are unhappy with the cost of Ripper Street regardless of viewing figures - as has been pointed out, the BBC has a unique form of funding which means they don't have to give a toss what the customers (bill-payers) think.

I wonder what order management decisions were taken? Did the accountant's order to kill it off come before the scheduler's decision to bury the show on Monday night in order to slash viewing figures thus justifying cancelling the show, giving the false impression it was not because of the cost but due to unpopularity? The Radio Times viewer's vote suggests that the lack of popularity argument is a load of tosh.

Unhappy and unwilling BBC funder...

It's the way the govt. attribute funding (annoyingly it's the same across the public sector and is really the root cause of many of its' problems) and in this age of ideologically driven spending cuts, everything and everyone has to make its' case for continued funding, regardless of its' function.
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2014, 12:49:04 pm »

Grin Hooray! Grin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26351457

"Victorian crime drama Ripper Street is to return to screens via Amazon's video on demand service.

The BBC cancelled the show in December due to poor ratings, but Amazon has now commissioned a third season for its Prime Instant Video service - formerly known as Lovefilm.

The new episodes will be broadcast on BBC One a few months later."

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2014, 01:22:08 pm »

Grin Hooray! Grin

"Victorian crime drama Ripper Street is to return to screens via Amazon's video on demand service.

The BBC cancelled the show in December due to poor ratings, but Amazon has now commissioned a third season for its Prime Instant Video service - formerly known as Lovefilm.

People Power!!! Excellent.  Grin
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2014, 02:58:45 pm »

Fantastic news!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2014, 03:48:20 pm »

The People have spoken! Today..Ripper Street..tomorrow THE WORLD!!! Mwah-ha-ha-ha!!
Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2014, 06:50:39 pm »

The People have spoken! Today..Ripper Street..tomorrow THE WORLD!!! Mwah-ha-ha-ha!!

Tomorrow?! I thought the world takeover was due a week on tuesday! Did someone change the schedule without telling me? This is going to play havoc with my plans....
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2014, 06:58:25 pm »

Tomorrow?! I thought the world takeover was due a week on tuesday! Did someone change the schedule without telling me? This is going to play havoc with my plans....

We brought it forward..did you not get the memo?
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2014, 07:18:36 pm »

Grin Hooray! Grin

As long as I can watch it on a freeview channel, this is indeed very good news.

~SeVeN~

Madasasteamfish
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2014, 07:45:31 pm »

We brought it forward..did you not get the memo?

Evidently not.

I shall have to telephone my tailor and arrange to pick up my 'Revolution Trousers' and 'World Wide Takeover Jacket' first thing tomorrow morning.
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2014, 09:11:09 am »

Grin Hooray! Grin

As long as I can watch it on a freeview channel, this is indeed very good news.

~SeVeN~

The BBC say it'll be broadcast on BBC One a few months after Amazon show it online, so as long as you can avoid spoilers I think you'll be fine.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: