The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 11:16:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripper Street on BBC1 (Victorian Detective Drama)  (Read 15703 times)
markf
Goggleologist
United States United States

« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2013, 03:54:42 pm »

BBC America says 8 epis will be broadcast in 2014, but it has not yet been scheduled. Guess I'll be waiting a bit to see it. markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2013, 05:46:18 pm »

Really enjoyed last night's series 2 opener. Also enjoyed the guest appearance of the 'prominent  Victorian personality'.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2013, 06:35:06 pm »

Really enjoyed last night's series 2 opener. Also enjoyed the guest appearance of the 'prominent  Victorian personality'.

Two actually including Treves.

I need to do a little research to see whether Ripper Street is part of a shared universe with Kung Fu from what Jackson said.

I am getting a Kirk, Spock, McCoy vibe from the three principals.

I have had running through my mind the theme tune to the children's show 'Pigeon Street' with 'pigeon' replaced with 'Ripper' though out. I can't be the only one whose like this.....

......Not now at least.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2013, 11:00:08 pm »

Hmm, I didn't think that the story-line was as intricate as the first series, it looked a bit rushed to me.  And is it my imagination or was this a bit more gory too?
Lucy Lockhart
Deck Hand
England England

"When women go wrong, men go right after them." Ma

Alexandra Peel
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2013, 11:56:18 am »

Brilliant high speed opening episode. So glad to see Ripper Street back to replace my weekly dose of Peaky Blinders. And Captain Jackson is a particular favourite.(stop trying to correct my spelling to Americanisms Brass Goggles!) Gore was part and parcel of the streets of Whitechapel at this time - so have no problem with it. However, opening scene did remind me very much of opening of Captain Swing and the Pirates of Incendiary Island graphic novel. Anyone else spot this?

Lucy Lockhart (finders custodes)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2013, 07:12:37 pm »

Brilliant high speed opening episode. So glad to see Ripper Street back to replace my weekly dose of Peaky Blinders. And Captain Jackson is a particular favourite.(stop trying to correct my spelling to Americanisms Brass Goggles!) Gore was part and parcel of the streets of Whitechapel at this time - so have no problem with it. However, opening scene did remind me very much of opening of Captain Swing and the Pirates of Incendiary Island graphic novel. Anyone else spot this?

It looks like peeky blinders will have a second series/season!

Based upon the fact the narrators said "The complete first series of Peeky blinders is now out on DVD."

If there wasn't he should have said "The complete series of Peeky Blinders ..." Not the missing word first. Maybe just me being picky over a typo but I have hopes!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:15:53 pm by CPT_J_Percell » Logged

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2013, 07:27:31 pm »

It looks like peeky blinders will have a second series/season!

Based upon the fact the narrators said "The complete first series of Peeky blinders is now out on DVD."

If there wasn't he should have said "The complete series of Peeky Blinders ..." Not the missing word first. Maybe just me being picky over a typo but I have hopes!

Yup...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-24684419

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2013, 07:30:29 pm »

They say "first series" even when it is known a series has been cancelled.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »

They didn't for ripper street!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2013, 08:19:22 pm »

I just caught up on Peaky Blinders, talk about a cliffhanger ending. I think it proved popular enough and I'd be most surprised if it doesn't get a second series TBH (edit, and then I read Mr Skumins' post, sorry not on the ball today).

Anyway now off to iPlayer to watch Ripper Street, as after posting a reminder I actually forgot about it myself.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:24:14 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2013, 01:18:49 am »

They didn't for ripper street!

Of course, it had already been recommissioned, before it went to DVD.
Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2013, 06:48:05 pm »

I'm sad to announce that Ripper Street has been cancelled.

Jerome Flynn (DS Drake) confirmed it during an interview with BBC Radio London, blaming the fact that it was scheduled against reality tv drivel on ITV for the poor ratings this series.

The BBC have issued a statement saying that "the second series didn't bring the audience we hoped and in order to make room for creative renewal and new ideas it won't be returning". Incidentally Big School (the worst sitcom I've seen in years) and Atlantis (which is just awful) have both been renewed for new series next year.

There's a petition in case you would like to take the opportunity to vent your displeasure at the BBC and convince them to change their minds: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/reverse-the-bbc-s-decision-to-cancel-ripper-street

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2013, 06:52:18 pm »

I'm sad to announce that Ripper Street has been cancelled.

Jerome Flynn (DS Drake) confirmed it during an interview with BBC Radio London, blaming the fact that it was scheduled against reality tv drivel on ITV for the poor ratings this series.

The BBC have issued a statement saying that "the second series didn't bring the audience we hoped and in order to make room for creative renewal and new ideas it won't be returning". Incidentally Big School (the worst sitcom I've seen in years) and Atlantis (which is just awful) have both been renewed for new series next year.

There's a petition in case you would like to take the opportunity to vent your displeasure at the BBC and convince them to change their minds: https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/reverse-the-bbc-s-decision-to-cancel-ripper-street

I signed it. But I don't hold out much hope that the BBC will listen to it's viewers. Do they ever?

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2013, 10:54:00 am »

Such a shame, its always the way, Ripper street to me beats other BBC shows hands down, especially shows like "Paradise" which is utter rubbish!

Michael Farley
Zeppelin Captain

mgfarley
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2013, 11:05:44 am »

Such a shame, its always the way, Ripper street to me beats other BBC shows hands down, especially shows like "Paradise" which is utter rubbish!

I think the problem is that audiences like their mainstream (i.e. BBC 1) period dramas to be inoffensive and twee, such as the Paradise, Lark Rise to Candleford and countless Austen adaptations.

Gritty period dramas showing a less rose-tinted view of the past, such as Peaky Blinders or the Crimson Petal and the White, are usually hidden away on BBC 2 (or BBC 4, at least until they stopped making original drama) and it's taken for granted that the viewing figures won't be as high.

I'm not sure which genius decided Ripper Street should be on BBC 1 but I think its days were numbered as soon as BBC executives started expecting it to get BBC 1 (rather than BBC 2) level viewing figures.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2013, 04:57:09 pm »

I personally thought the story lines in the second series lack that certain something, but Im gutted they are axing it. I love Ripper Street.

Dennis Pennis (Paul Kaye) was outstanding in the last one.

Signed the petition for what its worth.

Oh well nothing worth watching ont telly again..........

~SeVeN~

Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2013, 09:37:47 pm »

I think that there is a fundamental issue that the BBC seems poor at writing high quality serials. The first season of Ripper Street definitely had something which the second one lacks and I think this comes down to story-telling. Many things about it continue to be excellent, the acting, sets, costumes and overall production are excellent but the stories seem week both in their overall flow and the detailed mechanics.

One particular issue is that, while I'm happy to see a bit of creative Holmes-esque anachronism, they seem to have just transplanted modern police procedure and technical capability wholesale. I'm prepared to accept that they seem to have found a washed up american private detective who can perform autopsies to a modern standard, but his magical abilities at analytical chemistry stretch credibility to breaking point and the idea that they  appear to be able to access and cross reference almost any documentary record within minutes is just plain silly. There have been two separate episodes where they have been able to pinpoint an address from import records in a matter of hours...this would be pretty far fetched in a contemporary police drama but in Victorian London...really ?

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2013, 03:10:34 pm »

*Cough...Cough "its a TV show ...Cough Cough... "Not real"

Wink
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2013, 03:14:01 pm »

*Cough...Cough "its a TV show ...Cough Cough... "Not real"

Wink

Ha! I find it strange that a bunch of Steampunks feel it necessary to point out historical inaccuracies in a fictitious, fantasy drama.
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2013, 07:40:18 am »

I love the god-tier trolling that the BBC have done with Ripper Street. I haven't seen this show, nor do I want to, but I enjoy it for the fact that it's got probably a third, maybe more, of my Facebook friends list up in arms, claiming that the BBC have no right to axe this show, that this is what they pay their TV license for etc.

Guess what? They do have the right to axe a show if it's not getting the ratings in, and no matter what you claim, it's NOT getting the ratings in. This is evidenced by the fact that they're axing the show

I mean, it's as bad as people saying that Facebook has no right to change the way THEIR website works.

Just enjoy what you've had and be grateful for it. The BBC didn't have to make this show in the first place. They could have countered I'm A Celebrity with something guaranteed to succeed, like maybe another reality TV program. They took a big risk in showing something different, and it didn't pay off.

And an additional note for those who say they're going to stop paying their TV license and never watch the BBC again, I have only these two words to say to you. Doctor Who

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2013, 11:13:43 am »

I still think if they had kept it on the Sunday night schedules it would still be getting decent viewing figures.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2013, 12:34:21 pm »

Just enjoy what you've had and be grateful for it. The BBC didn't have to make this show in the first place. They could have countered I'm A Celebrity with something guaranteed to succeed, like maybe another reality TV program. They took a big risk in showing something different, and it didn't pay off.

And an additional note for those who say they're going to stop paying their TV license and never watch the BBC again, I have only these two words to say to you. Doctor Who

Xander; Part of the problem is that this particular drama is not and will not be the last to get axed by the BBC as they are 'downsizing' their drama department and plans are in place to increase exactly the other kind of 'dumbed down' programming you have mentioned.
 Ultimately they will be in a position to be sold off by the Government and become just another commercial television channel.
 But I suppose at least there will be no need for a television licence.

And anyone who believes 'Doctor Who' is safe from the chop better hope ALL decisions are not made purely on viewing figures. After all, despite the masses of viewers for the recent 'special', more people still watched that night's 'Strictly Come Bore Me'. Smiley
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2013, 12:59:29 pm »

And anyone who believes 'Doctor Who' is safe from the chop better hope ALL decisions are not made purely on viewing figures. After all, despite the masses of viewers for the recent 'special', more people still watched that night's 'Strictly Come Bore Me'. Smiley
A figure skewed considerably by the fact that those who went to the cinema to see it didn't watch it on TV no doubt.  I wonder what the viewing figures would've been if it hadn't had a cinema release?

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2013, 01:11:03 pm »

Xander; Part of the problem is that this particular drama is not and will not be the last to get axed by the BBC as they are 'downsizing' their drama department and plans are in place to increase exactly the other kind of 'dumbed down' programming you have mentioned.
 Ultimately they will be in a position to be sold off by the Government and become just another commercial television channel.
 But I suppose at least there will be no need for a television licence.

My point is more that they could have put something in place that was guaranteed to succeed, but the ratings clearly reflect that the majority of their audience is more interested in crap.

And the reason I mention Doctor Who (and Sherlock would be another good mention) is that if you're truly going to stick to your guns and not watch BBC shows, or pay for a TV license, that means no Doctor Who. Even if you were to watch it late on iplayer, the ratings still slip and it makes them more likely to chuck it out.

I have a feeling that independent shows are going to become more and more popular using youtube and the like as a platform, not to mention the Netflix Originals, which provide a unique televised experience without the politics and crap (although one of their shows IS about politics and crap Cheesy ). Personally I'd love to see the internet as the sole platform for programmes, and there's no reason it shouldn't be. There's enough ad revenue on youtube for some content creators to be paid quite handsomely for their time, so why not a proper TV show? I can see it becoming a massively advantageous platform in the future, especially as content creators on youtube are paid per view, meaning that they have a rolling income rather than a budget per show and a target viewing figure. So something that starts off as "hey look, this is a good idea, it'd be great if they had a bit of backing" could well end up with mainstream viewing figures, and the best part is it's on demand, and free.

I know the above paragraph is not really related to the topic in hand but an interesting thought nonetheless. Personally I don't understand why people have landline phones and TVs any more, the internet can fully replace those; it's just people unwilling to release themselves from the past that make it impossible to move forward.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2013, 01:49:17 pm »

Personally I don't understand why people have landline phones and TVs any more, the internet can fully replace those; it's just people unwilling to release themselves from the past that make it impossible to move forward.

There are currently 17% of UK household with no internet access at all. Probably elderly folk who still rely on television for entertainment and have no interest in computers at all.
 In a few years maybe that will change.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: