The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 08:26:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A mounted pipe lamp...  (Read 6602 times)
Mr. Mazz
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 29, 2012, 04:00:47 pm »

Well, it's been a while since I've produced anything. But for your enjoyment, I have another copper pipe lamp.
Similar to one I have built before except this one is on an oak base.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:07:33 pm by Mr. Mazz » Logged
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 04:29:21 pm »

Ooh very nice. A friend of mine made a similar standing lamp (I remember he had real problems finding the bulbs for it, I think you've used the same ones).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

Looks great.

Mr. Mazz
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:27:24 pm »

Ooh very nice. A friend of mine made a similar standing lamp (I remember he had real problems finding the bulbs for it, I think you've used the same ones).

Thanks.  This site is pretty good for bulbs, although expensive.....  http://www.historiclighting.co.uk/
I recently bought some Squirrel cage lamps from Amazon fro £8.00

Lamps2udirect are the cheapest: http://www.lamps2udirect.com/pages/browse-More-Lamps2udirect.php/Standard_-_Incandescent_Light_Bulbs/Decorative_Antique_Bulbs_Fireglow_Light_Bulbs/10/1
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 07:00:09 pm »

Thanks.  This site is pretty good for bulbs, although expensive.....  http://www.historiclighting.co.uk/
I recently bought some Squirrel cage lamps from Amazon fro £8.00

Lamps2udirect are the cheapest: http://www.lamps2udirect.com/pages/browse-More-Lamps2udirect.php/Standard_-_Incandescent_Light_Bulbs/Decorative_Antique_Bulbs_Fireglow_Light_Bulbs/10/1

I thought they were squirrel cage bulbs. I'll have to pass on those sites for him.

I just hope you can be more reassuring about yours (when we used my mate's on a stall for our university's steampunk society a porter asked him 'is that thing earthed?' to which he responded 'Er, it should be. There's an earth wire in there.')
rod-on
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 01:50:48 am »

I'm more interested in where to get the brackets used to attach the pipe to the wooden base? 
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 01:57:29 am »

I'm more interested in where to get the brackets used to attach the pipe to the wooden base? 

If you Google brass pipe clamp, although there is a better name than this it escapes me at the moment.  There was a thread a few weeks ago asking about sourcing these and from memory the conclusion was that these were peculiar to the UK (at least in the Northern Hemisphere).
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 09:58:59 am »

You are looking for a munson ring pipe clip.

I like the lamp alot and thanks for the links to obtain the bulbs.

~SeVeN~

Mr. Mazz
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 12:12:08 pm »

You are looking for a munson ring pipe clip.

I like the lamp alot and thanks for the links to obtain the bulbs.

~SeVeN~

That's right, "Munson ring".... They're a very solid and lovely looking pipe clamp made of brass.
thechocolatist
Deck Hand
Switzerland Switzerland

Gravatar

www.thechocolatist.com

thechocolatist
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 09:26:34 am »

A very beautiful lamp. The bulbs and the copper are looking great!
I'm just starting to build my first lamp after I found an antique bulb at the flea market...
Again, great work  Smiley

Steampunk Artwork & Chocolate

Dan Aetherman  aka  The Chocolatist

www.thechocolatist.com
www.facebook.com/steampunkerdanaetherman
robotmastern
Snr. Officer
United States United States

automaton craftsman extraordinaire

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 09:59:08 pm »

I saw these bulbs at Lowes(big box hardware store )the other day
Mr. Mazz
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 07:58:03 pm »

i was lucky with these squirrel cage lamps. they've always been about the £10 mark. B&Q diy store was selling these off cheap a few years back (think due to the eco/ green initiative of incandescent lamps). I went in one day and they were all marked up at £1.50 each. I bought the what they had left around 35 lamps!
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 09:46:37 pm »

Very nice Mr.Mazz and very neat soldering as well. A couple of questions please - once you have polished the copper, do you coat it to stop tarnishing? And, is there an advantage for bayonet fitting or Edison screw? I can imagine the ES fitting would be better for thermal conductance thus draining heat away from the bulb better than the bayonet. Is there a difference in life or is it swamped out by other factors?

Many thanks,

ffitz

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Mr. Mazz
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 10:24:39 pm »

Thanks.
I used to spray a coat of clear laquer after cleaning up the pipe work with wirewool. But now just leave it.
Regarding the ES or BC fittings. I only went for ES as the lamps I got cheap from b&q were ES fitting. As far as heat dissipation go, either work fine. In fact the BC would be better because it is all metal, whereas the ES screws into a.piece of black plastic which is non heat conducting. I'd favour the BC to be honest as it looks less bulky!
The lamp stock I bought were all 60w's. These are too bright to have at full power, as I like to be able to view the lamp filaments comfortably. So I wire these in series so they are at half brightness which also doubles the life of the lamp too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:36:41 pm by Mr. Mazz » Logged
selectedgrub
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 01:01:38 am »

Stunning.
Adelulf
Swab

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 11:51:22 pm »

Looks great!! I'm having trouble sourcing a switch like the one you've used. Am I correct in saying it's a Dolly toggle switch? All the switches I've found have a chunky box on the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 12:59:05 am »

Very nice work, sir! One of these would look nice on my desk. However, I have my roadworks lamp to work on first.
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 08:14:57 pm »

Very nice lamp.

Anyone who is after the bulbs they have a fair amount of these vintage style bulbs in Poundland at the moment, I suspect old stock from elsewhere.

Alternatively Wilko sell this style of bulbs with LED filament effect.

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: