The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 11:55:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POWER!  (Read 1512 times)
Kraken-hunter
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

'ello Beastie!

« on: December 29, 2012, 07:19:35 am »

Hi all,
I am designing a backpack to allow me to go adventuring without having to be plugged into the supply from my mighty ironclad, but I want some suggestions on power, I'm thinking candle powered steam, or gas lamp, but can't decide, any opinions on which would look better and how to achieve the look would be appreciated.

Many thanks for your time

Capt. H. Lucian,
CO HMS Leviathan,
Kraken hunter,

"It comes now, drawn with ravenous hunger to the man what bears the Black Spot"
"what comes cap'n?"
"The Beastie"
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:01:23 pm »

A miniature Walter turbine?  using stabilised hydrogen peroxide as an oxidiser.  The genuine Walter turbine wasn't developed until 1933, but you could always theorise a steampunk Unobtanium fuel for chemically generating steam to drive a miniature turbine.  Using a chemical oxidiser would permit the same power source to operate at all altitudes and even underwater without being dependent on atmispheric oxygen.

Are you thinking of a backpack, beltpack, shoulder case, etc.? and what sort of devices do you need to power?
Kraken-hunter
Swab

'ello Beastie!

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:50:52 pm »

Thanks Mr salt, that's a really cool idea, I was planning on building a backpack, and it would be too power my weapons and possibly a face mask, the usual items an adventurer requires, I'm basing it on an old clansman radio frame.

Thanks again for your suggestion,

Horatio
Cptn H lucian
CO HMS lethiathan
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 03:28:43 am »

Read up on Narcís Monturiol i Estarriol's wooden double-hulled steam-powered submarine Ictineo II for an anærobic steam boiler that won't deplete your stockpiles of Unobtainium or Handwavium.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:48:44 pm »

A lot depends on exactly what sort of power you need. eg total energy storage capacity, the peak and average power demand and the degree of fluctuation.

For example steam locomotives tend to have fire-tube type boilers which can accumulate a lot of spare capacity for stopping, starting, climbing inclines etc but tend to be relatively heavy and bulky and take a long time to get going.

Water tube or similar types can generate steam on demand but tend not to have much spare capacity.

Another important consideration is the energy density of your fuel. Apart from nuclear fuels Hydrogen has the best energy density but is not easy to store and transport in a conveniently sized package. Gasoline and diesel/kerosene are the next best and, being liquids at standard temperature and pressure, are reasonably practical to store and carry, natural gas and propane are pretty close behind. Even the best modern batteries have an energy density several orders of magnitude worse than any combustible fuel.

The other issue is how you convert your stored energy, in whatever form, to the energy that you can make use of.

Batteries have the advantage that they provide electrical energy as DC voltage without any intermediate steps, which makes them good for small, relatively low powered devices but don't scale up very well.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 05:04:35 pm »

What about mechanically-generated power?
I'm thinking like the backpack-sized spraytanks with the pump handle poking out to the front to be pumped up and down - only converted to spin a generator or perhaps an hydraulic pump?

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 07:35:12 pm »

A kink-spring powerpack? (ref. The Windup Girl).
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 04:11:36 am »

A kink-spring powerpack? (ref. The Windup Girl).

A power source powered by kink? That would certainly be a spanking-new concept!

Seriously, I have got to stop doing that!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 05:28:37 pm »

Use these to power your field equipment:

Or if you need compressed air carry compressed air. Carrying a steam boiler on your back dangerous.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 03:38:37 pm by RJBowman » Logged
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 06:29:00 pm »

I think a shotgun-shell belt with ye-olde batteries in the loops, connected by cable-covered wire would be pretty damn epic.

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 06:55:30 pm »

Battery belt-I like that idea!

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 08:15:02 pm »

Those old telephone batteries shown above are about the size of tall-boy beer cans, so they wouldn't fit in a stock bandoleer; it would have to be custom.
Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 04:03:16 am »

Google beer bandolier, it may need some mods to work with your kit, or be reengineered for your particular batteries.
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 09:35:19 am »

What about a candle powered Peltier generator?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=9144

https://sites.google.com/site/reukpower/thermoelectric/Thermoelectric-lamp-seebeck-generator

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: