The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 03:45:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk in Japan Thread (formerly "Steampunk expands a bit more in Japan...")  (Read 37213 times)
SteamGardenTokyo
Deck Hand
Japan Japan

tokyosteampunk
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2016, 08:01:20 pm »

If you are in Japan in April, please come to the next Steam Garden. April 23rd at Daikanyama UNIT. This time is our 10th "episode" of Steam Garden and our 4th anniversary!

Details will gradually be added on our homepage
http://www.tokyosteampunk.com

Also, although it is in Japanese, you can see the introduction to our new manga "Sorako", a comic strip for newcomers to steampunk in Japan who are wondering how to more fully enjoy the culture.

Plus, if anyone is in Kyoto on February 27th - get yourself to "Kyoto steampunk" at Restaurant Bahamut (great name!) here is their twitter:
https://twitter.com/Kyoto_Steampunk

Reservations only: but if you need help just message the organizers in English and our team here in Tokyo will translate for them.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2016, 08:58:18 pm »

If you are in Japan in April, please come to the next Steam Garden. April 23rd at Daikanyama UNIT. This time is our 10th "episode" of Steam Garden and our 4th anniversary!

Details will gradually be added on our homepage
http://www.tokyosteampunk.com

Also, although it is in Japanese, you can see the introduction to our new manga "Sorako", a comic strip for newcomers to steampunk in Japan who are wondering how to more fully enjoy the culture.

Plus, if anyone is in Kyoto on February 27th - get yourself to "Kyoto steampunk" at Restaurant Bahamut (great name!) here is their twitter:

Reservations only: but if you need help just message the organizers in English and our team here in Tokyo will translate for them.

It's amazing there have been 9 Steam Gardens already!  Or maybe I'm just getting old too fast!

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2016, 01:32:25 am »

Thanks for the links.  There is some fairly amazing  images  on the website
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2016, 07:38:34 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
One of my fondest ambitions is to explore the Japanese Steampunk world in person.
This thread merely whets my appetite!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2016, 12:55:30 pm »

One of my fondest ambitions is to explore the Japanese Steampunk world in person.
This thread merely whets my appetite!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

There's always hope! While the night-life in Tokyo, I'd expect to be tremendous, I bet the old capital Kyoto would be very scenic as well.
SteamGardenTokyo
Deck Hand
Japan Japan

tokyosteampunk
« Reply #105 on: February 29, 2016, 08:07:02 pm »

Just returned from the "Kyoto Steampunk" event and it was a great success.

Igarashi Mari AKA Madam Steam (from Nagoya) & Kenny and I from Tokyo Inventors Society were "guests of honor" but all credit and thanks are due to the (literally) tireless efforts of organizers Esta and Natsuko. Although they humbly called the event "Steampunk beginners hall" (a reference to the low-level tutorial area in Final Fantasy) this carefully organized, well-polished event was overflowing with young steampunks with passion and attention to detail, and there is no doubt that the "beginners" in Kyoto are going to flourish into another great hub of Steampunk activity in Japan.

If you want to see some great photographs from this intimate but lively and energetic event, just go to Twitter and search this hashtag

#スチームパンク初心者の館

or follow them on
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2016, 08:51:03 pm »

Just returned from the "Kyoto Steampunk" event and it was a great success.

Igarashi Mari AKA Madam Steam (from Nagoya) & Kenny and I from Tokyo Inventors Society were "guests of honor" but all credit and thanks are due to the (literally) tireless efforts of organizers Esta and Natsuko. Although they humbly called the event "Steampunk beginners hall" (a reference to the low-level tutorial area in Final Fantasy) this carefully organized, well-polished event was overflowing with young steampunks with passion and attention to detail, and there is no doubt that the "beginners" in Kyoto are going to flourish into another great hub of Steampunk activity in Japan.

If you want to see some great photographs from this intimate but lively and energetic event, just go to Twitter and search this hashtag

#スチームパンク初心者の館

or follow them on
Welcome back! Certainly looks like you were having fun!

Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2016, 07:54:06 am »

It's great to see that Steampunk is growing in popularity in Japan. With such a high level of detailing, we can expect years of splendidness to come!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2016, 10:29:30 pm »

I'm just amazed that Steampunk is doing so well around the globe.  It's been a very long time since I checked the guys in Mexico.  My problem is that they migrated to Facepalm, I mean Facebook,  and I seldom check my pages there.  It's horribly difficult to maintain anything other than a casual conversation.
SteamGardenTokyo
Deck Hand
Japan Japan

tokyosteampunk
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2016, 12:52:44 pm »

Next edition of Japans steampunk festival "Steam Garden" is on April 23 at Daikanyama UNIT. It is our 10th Steam Garden, 14th event overall and 4th anniversary! If you are in town please drop in, tickets are available on the door.
Here's the "trailer" video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQuos_MfrH4
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2016, 06:40:41 am »

Alas, I only see a black screen at the Youtube site! Your other videos seem  to work well.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2016, 06:50:50 pm »

Ladies and gentlemen it would appear that the ground beneath your feet is getting a little frisky of late.
I would like to take this opportunity to say that our thoughts are with you during this testing time.

I realise that light rattling goes with the land but currently (if you'll pardon the glib nature of the comparison) your earth is shaking like a pyromaniac in a match factory.

I hope you are all safe and continue to be so in perpetuity.

Kindest regards

Lord of Misrule.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2016, 10:18:26 pm »

Next edition of Japans steampunk festival "Steam Garden" is on April 23 at Daikanyama UNIT. It is our 10th Steam Garden, 14th event overall and 4th anniversary! If you are in town please drop in, tickets are available on the door.
Here's the "trailer" video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQuos_MfrH4

Nice to hear from you again. Here's the embedded video:

スチームパンクの祭典・スチームガーデン「10」Steam Garden: Japan's Steampunk Festival
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2016, 09:45:38 am »

Ladies and gentlemen it would appear that the ground beneath your feet is getting a little frisky of late.
I would like to take this opportunity to say that our thoughts are with you during this testing time.

I realise that light rattling goes with the land but currently (if you'll pardon the glib nature of the comparison) your earth is shaking like a pyromaniac in a match factory.

I hope you are all safe and continue to be so in perpetuity.

Kindest regards

Lord of Misrule.

Indeed, may you be safe. Our thoughts are with you and especially those who may be or know people in the vicinity of Kumamoto-shi
SteamGardenTokyo
Deck Hand
Japan Japan

tokyosteampunk
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2016, 10:05:36 pm »

Thanks all for the good wishes. All our friends are safe fortunately, but of course we hope there won't be any more casualties or damage. It's a fact of life that in Japan this kind of thing will happen occasionally. In general, engineering standards here are very high and this undoubtedly makes a large quake in Japan less damaging than it would be if it happened in other countries. Let's hope safety continues to improve.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2016, 02:44:44 pm »

One does not take a pea-shooter to a kraken fight. I would expect no less from the burnished engineering exemplified by our fine brothers and sisters who make their home, live and love under the gentle light of the rising sun.

Your dispatches from the blessed isles of morning bring all both comfort and joy. Hazzah!

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2016, 10:15:28 am »

One does not take a pea-shooter to a kraken fight.

Why not?  My pea shooter is one of my favourite weapons. The secret is in the type of peas being used. Special explosive peas  Wink
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2016, 10:24:33 am »

I KNEW you were just in it for the cuddles! <poik> "Well Hello Miss Kracken, did I dink you with my little pea? I AM SO sorry. You'd better just give me a nice sloppy suckery cuddle, just to punish me and make sure I don't do it again. WELT ME! WELT ME NOW!!!!"

I've seen this happen before, actions like this take a nice manly kraken fight and turn it into something slippery and perverse. It sucks out all the butch, thigh slapping, men are men and women are women, HAhA! HAZZAH fun out of murdering giant sea creatures and replaces it with something decidedly undulating and moist....
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:28:25 am by Clym Angus » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2016, 08:06:30 pm »

I KNEW you were just in it for the cuddles! <poik> "Well Hello Miss Kracken, did I dink you with my little pea? I AM SO sorry. You'd better just give me a nice sloppy suckery cuddle, just to punish me and make sure I don't do it again. WELT ME! WELT ME NOW!!!!"

I've seen this happen before, actions like this take a nice manly kraken fight and turn it into something slippery and perverse. It sucks out all the butch, thigh slapping, men are men and women are women, HAhA! HAZZAH fun out of murdering giant sea creatures and replaces it with something decidedly undulating and moist....

Just like in that ancient Japanese woodblock print, "The Dream of the Fisherman's Wife"

WARNING: NSFW ancient print
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dream_of_the_Fisherman%27s_Wife
SteamGardenTokyo
Deck Hand
Japan Japan

tokyosteampunk
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2016, 05:10:46 pm »

If anyone is traveling to Japan in early October, you should definitely drop in to this year's "Hunters Fair" at Laforet Museum, Harajuku on October 10th. Last year's was probably the largest Steampunk-related event ever held in Japan, beating out our previous record-holders "Tower of Saint Germain" and Steam Garden episode 8, but this year should be even bigger!! We have nearly 70 exhibitors and growing.

On the same day Strange Artifact are organizing an steampunk arts and craft exhibition in Shinjuku too, called "Steam Park". Both events are free to get in and only a 5 minute train journey away from each other (plus another few hundred yards on foot or velocipede or whatever). So it's a whole day out for the steampunk family!

Here is the event page for Hunters Fair (including English guidance).
http://www.tokyosteampunk.com/next-event/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: