The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 02:59:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Birds of Paradise Game Thread: Episode 1 (The Mysterious Prototype)  (Read 13297 times)
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #350 on: March 15, 2013, 09:26:11 am »

"Wow I am lucky we checked that.  I thought I fixed it up after that ammo went seven ways of bad."  She loaded the hoppers admiring the ammo.  "Lady duck did pretty dammed well by me."

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #351 on: March 16, 2013, 08:13:08 am »

"It's as well for her that she did, and does so frequently; it's her business at stake," Al answered. "She does quite a few things for us just out of the goodness of her heart; I wish I had a better reward for that than just my love for her." He leaned in closer so that only Donna would be able to hear. "I wouldn't worry too much about our new ninja friend; if she's what she claims to be, she'll most likely be a good asset, and though she seems rather taken with Amir, it may still be that he'll curry her favor for her usefulness while devoting his actual heart to someone closer, if you get my drift." He leaned back away, adding in a more normal voice, "I'd rather have someone like her on our side, than on somebody else's, in any case."

-----
Despite Al's efforts, Meri still managed to hear Al's more secretive words to Donna, both over and under the cacaphony of preparations for the impending expedition. Well, its not as if you hadn't foreseen such from such an obviously 'experienced' partner, she thought, perhaps a bit more irritatedly than would have been her usual wont. Still, it's a letdown, if Amir-san really does prove to be true to Drake-san's assessment.

She found the empty rear cockpit of the Pearl, gauged the distance, and then leapt flatfooted upward and landed perfectly on target and lightly as a feather in it, and sat down on the gunner's bench. "Ready when you are, Amir-san, she sang out.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:16:46 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2013, 07:47:59 am »

It had been a stormy morning in the Japanese archipelago when the flying boat left Yokohama harbor. In the usual ways of such things, this could be viewed as an omen; the sun broke through the cloudbank just as the amphibious aeroplane lifted off, in a spectacle that mirrored the classic ensign of the Empire of the Rising Sun. Aboard the craft was the new commander-to-be of the infamous "project" at Namu atoll -- if he could but find that artifact.

A full wing of the newest fighters and dive bombers accompanied the flying boat -- but the Dive bomber flew not at the remarkably slow speed that Amir had read about in the captured plans, but at a cruising speed comparable to that of the new Mitsubishi craft- and even faster on a diving bomb run. It was rumored from its tests to be a promising machine for dogfighting as well.

Rear Admiral Toratachi Satsuriku watched the sunrise with a feeling of triumph. He would find the secret device and loose it upon the enemies of the Emperor and Japan. And let the West tremble at the thunder of our supremacy, he thought, a cruel smile curving his lips.

The reports of the disappearance of the village and valley hamlet of Onihama are unsettling, however, he mused as the flying boat escaped the overcast just before the Atoll was sighted on the horizon. He could not shake the feeling that a costly blunder had been made. The Eldest, most dangerous by reputation, yet least known of the operatives from Onihama had been reported missing by contacts aboard the Pacific Refueling Station - and then reports had arrived of a patrol vessel attacked, her crew decimated and the bow of the craft marked in just such a fashion as the Onihama villager's used, and in the missing operative's own monogram, chopped into the bow- post and painted with the blood of the slain. Add to that the reports of Onihama operatives showing up in other parts of the empire and its diplomatic offices and sowing confusion and leaving a wake of fear and mayhem; Unsettling, indeed. All the more reason to quickly take control and force the garrison to pull out all of the stops to find the hiding place of the Project. Then let the villagers dare to try and oppose the Empire!

And then he saw what so many had missed so many times before,  as the flying boat overshot the runway and circled back around to take advantage of the following wind to aid in landing. There, a gigantic dark shape, barely discernible among the carious yellowness of a sickly-looking shore-hugging eyot of skeletal mangroves. Aha, he thought. Yes... as the fighters and dive bombers flew a pattern of overlapping and inter-supportive maneuvers designed to prevent any attack from the air, and giving total coverage of the ground, should an attack arise from that direction. The Flying boat landed, and disgorged a platoon of elite soldiers, who formed up an honor guard on the crimson carpet rolled out for the occasion by the ground crews. The honor guard's opposite number on the tarmac snapped to attention as the Rear Admiral exited the transport...
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2013, 06:32:29 pm »

"I am that transparent." Donna sighed. It was hard to hide stuff from Al.  She filled her hoppers with ammo and fed Hen. She buckled herself in and started to smile as she ran the take off checklist.  She would allways have the sky to go back to.   "Allright let's go fetch Eric before some wild anamals make a meal of him."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #354 on: March 28, 2013, 08:56:06 am »

"Righty-oh," Al said, as he began his own inspection and spin-up to rewarm the engine of the Blue Duck. He made sure that the auto-feed belt hoppers for the forward  guns contained tracers as well as armor-piercing slugs, and loaded an extra box of aero grenades in the forward cockpit; with no copilot, and just the weight of the spare fuel, the Duck could handle a bit of extra weight. Bombs on the wingracks, check; carbine in place and several magazines in the rack; radio array switched to forward cockpit control, check; rear gun deployed and set on remote manipulation, check; Supercharger set up, check; aerosol carburetion supplement tank, check. Everything was ship-shape and ready to go.

As he strapped himself in and switched the rest of the radio array on, Sabre's voice came over the Station Defense channel saying her and two other seahawks were circling the Station waiting for the Steel Birds to join them. "Hope you lot don't mind," she said, "I invited a couple of my people along; this should prove a good test for the new workhorses." She was referring to the Seahawks; roughly the same as the ubiquitous Warhawk, the Seahawk had the same armament but also seaplane floats and a higher-horsepower engine to make up for the increased drag; plus, they also carried a single torpedo apiece, half-cowled into the underside of the airframe to reduce drag. What with the underslung spare fuel tanks, and small single bombs on each wing, each Seahawk looked like it was able to fight a small war.

"Wouldja lookit that," Al breathed into the mic on his mask as he looked up upon taxiing out of the hangar doorway to let Donna and Amir out. "They're loaded fer bear..."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: