The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 07:06:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Birds of Paradise Game Thread: Episode 1 (The Mysterious Prototype)  (Read 13126 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #325 on: March 09, 2013, 11:23:49 pm »

Al led teh way back down the hall and into the ready room. Right in here, he said. Swords, a rifle, and the nameplate from a Jap raiding junk. This is all that was salvageable save for the deck guns by the time we got there. Out of a badass Jap boat that's practically a floating gun platform with, I counted, fifty men and crew." he drew a deep breath, and continued in a slightly- hunted-sounding voice, " All dead. Some half eaten by sharks, since the decks were awash when we got there. All off 'em slashed as if by a katana, all of 'em that I could get to to look at close-like lookin like somebody drained 'em dry. Blood splashed all over th' walls and floor, though. Just not enough to match with the number of sworded bodies."

"What's her name in Admin's developing the snapshots I took now, and  Bob's got the insurance kids chasing down the skinny on the Jap tub." He drew the Japanese characters on a piece of scratch paper. "Found this chopped into the bowpost of the junk. Whoever did it took the time to dab fresh blood into the letters; you could see the fingerprints. Whoever whatever they were, they completely trashed a Jap battlewagon, looks like with just a sword and a really bad attitude."
-----
Meri finally took the opportunity to relieve a passerby of her clothes, trenchcoat, adn blood, and then dressed and walked nonchalantly up to ythe door of teh Steel Birds' hangar, waiting for someone to invite her in. The sandy-haired kid mechanic with the overactive libido came over, and chatted her up, and before long she walked toward the office door, the scent of cherry blossoms preceding her like a perfumed wind.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #326 on: March 10, 2013, 12:05:45 am »

"Well shit."  Donna said downing her mug and pouring another. She was going to need a lot more to deal with this.  "I wonder who they got on the wrong side of."

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

Why do living things need feelings?

« Reply #327 on: March 10, 2013, 01:28:28 am »

An overwhelming and familiar smell entered the midst and Amir smirked, setting his coffee on the table. "Well, 'en, friends, look alive, we got company. How're ya doin', red eyes?" It was funny, really. If the smell wasn't so powerful, it could've been masked under the coffee in the room, but Amir could smell her from the next room. "And who let you in, anyway?"

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #328 on: March 10, 2013, 02:01:11 am »

Donna wished she looked less like she just rolled out of bed. This was not an even playing field like the dance floor. "What can we do for you?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #329 on: March 10, 2013, 04:09:45 am »

"Very astute of you, Mr. Arabia," Meri said as she slinked in through the doorway. Even in a 'borrowed'  frock and frowsy fuzzy poplin trenchcoat, she still managed to pull off wearing it all like a sheer evening gown. "Are you sure we are not related? You eyes are pretty red as well." she turned to the rest of the Birds, her eyes coming to rest on the table and it's load of items, including the name plaque and the comparatively huge tachi. "Ah, I remember that boat," she said, nibbling absently on one fingertip, smiling somewhat coquettishly at the men in the room. "They were most entertaining, for a little while."

"I have information about a certain fighter aircraft with markings like those of your 'planes, on a desert atoll in the Marshall Islands." She smiled disarmingly, "And a big shape in the water under the mangroves. For various reasons, thia one and hers would wish to pool our resources with you and yours. You want to hear?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #330 on: March 10, 2013, 04:49:47 am »

Donna trusted Meri as far as she could throw her but if she knew where Eric was well they had to hear her out.  "What will it cost?"
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #331 on: March 10, 2013, 05:01:36 am »

His eyes were red? What? Amir found himself grab at his face for some reason, as if someone told him his cheeks were red. They might be bloodshot, however. That's plausible. "Wait a minute, now, 'fore ya go spillin' everythin' with 'o without a price, whaddaya mean 'They were entertaining'?" He still hadn't discovered exactly what she was and the only hint he had was her red eyes and coquettish demeanor. She could be a Succubus, or some other demon, for all he knows.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #332 on: March 10, 2013, 07:57:54 am »

"You have obviously guessed already what I am ... Amir, is it not?" Meri said, a hint of amusement in her voice, Well, more than a hint, to be truthful; she hadn't felt this giddy since her first duel with that damnable Commodore fifty years and a whirl of spacetime in the past. "do not despair of an answer to your own question, Lady ...Donna?" She continued, the amusement and coquettishness suddenly disappearing behind a clasically-Chinese mask of inscrutability. "Your distrust is understandable, especially given who my ultimate masters once were. They have killed our liege lord, however, and thus the village of Onihama has been removed from the Japan that now is; the Nippon are our masters no longer, if in fact they ever really were. We are, as the name of our village implies, of the Oni, the devils of the Japans, Specifically the Youkai, the monsters of Japanese legend and story."

She continued, warming to her yarn like the storyteller that her aged father had been. "Since before the triumph of the Meiji pretenders, we of Onihama have followed the path of Ninjutsu, the way of the assassin, as your Western outlook would understand it. This one is of the village, but not of the Oni of this plane. You, Amir san, may already have guessed that this one is not really even Japanese, and in fact not of any Asian lineage of monster at all.  This one is in fact a vampyr, more specifically of the Spanish variety, the Vampira, in the parlance of the Earth from which this one hails, by virtue of one, this one's sire, who was in the habit of travelling the world. That is this one's "Family," Amir san, and the reason for the eyes that so intrigue you."

"You ask what the price is, Donna tan? Simply the coinage of the lives of those that this one kills in the service of our mutual goal, or failing kills of my own, from those dead that are left by the hands of others. Sh e looked at the other faces in the room, seeing confusion on some, and the slow dawning of a horrifying understanding on others. She decided to spell it out. " I mean their blood, of course. Do not worry, your own is safe."

Sabre suddenly made a choking sound and warm coffee spurted from her nostrils.

"Hold on," she started, once she had regained he composure, "surely vampires aren't really real, I mean, that's all Bela Lugosi and those people, isn't it?"

"The legend had to come from someplace, Ladyduck," Al said, oddly unruffled by this turn of events. "So, I take it you're 'Lady Dragon-Bat?' "
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:04:48 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #333 on: March 10, 2013, 08:37:23 am »

They were in over their heads by a mile.  "You don't look like a Lobishomen."  Doona muled things over. "So you have a score to settle.  I think we can deal with that.  We have a person to find and a job to do and then hopefully the Nippon won't trouble either of us after we settle this."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #334 on: March 10, 2013, 04:17:56 pm »

"  This one does not know of your friend's whereabouts, only that of the airplane. This one can show you to the airplane of your friend, but as to his whereabouts that cannot  be so easily answered," Meri replied. "Search the area I did, but found only the airplane, and it is leaking fuel and lubricant; that is how I located it, you can smell it from the strand. The cockpit smelled not like a Nippon pilot," she said, a certain indefinable note entering her voice. "You and they smell...differently." She paused and then continued, "A patrol came within scent of the airplane while I was there, they acted as if it, and Meri, were a complete surprise. I dealt with them, and then left. That was earlier this afternoon. There will doubtless be other patrols. The soldiers spoke of their commander's search for a secret weapon just before they found the plane and myself."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #335 on: March 10, 2013, 07:29:14 pm »

A vampire. Eyes red as her drink of choice. Well, as long as she wasn't drinking him dry. At that, she seemed to be a glutton. Amir wasn't distraught, amazed, or even astonished. He was intrigued, yes, but the people of Arabia are known for their superstition, though vampires were European. Still, Amir had always believed in the existence of demons and the like, so he was actually excited to find Meri as she was. She spoke with an intense Eastern drawl that he couldn't get out of his head. It was sort of like a song to him. "Ahm assumin' ya don't want this fact of your origins well-known, so I'm supposin' you need us to keep a secret. That's no problem, for me, at least.

"I don't know 'bout the others here, Meri, but I think I can say I honestly trust you, though you shouldn't blame me for still bein' a bit weary o' ya. You are a blood-drinker, after all." Amir took another sip of coffee and leaned back in his chair. "So ya found the Cap'n's 'craft, which means he's likely in the area. Poor sod probably been livin' off the fatta the land for awhile." He righted his chair again, sitting up straight, and stretched his arms. "After this, o' course, I still owe you a dance."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #336 on: March 10, 2013, 07:55:21 pm »

Damn there was not enough coffee in the world to deal with this.  "So you go with us we find our own and complete the mission and none of us come home with more holes than when we left?" Perhaps she should spread seeds around her plane for protection like her grandma used to do for mara.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #337 on: March 10, 2013, 10:06:28 pm »

"What holes might be gained will not be of this one's making," Meri said with an inscrutable smile. "I trust you will return the favor, yes?" She turned to Amir. "Discretion is more to the point, sir. Of course, consider the reaction of Lady.... is it 'Sabrah?' " she asked, turning to Sabre with a querulous look.

"Say-brah," Sabre said, "Like 'saber,' but with the end reversed."

"Indeed. Consider Lady Sabre's reaction to...my nature... others might find it difficult to believe that this one is not merely an obsessed admirer of... This penny-dreadful* actor is named Liu-Goh-See?" Meri shrugged. "No matter. Suffice to say no one will believe you, probably. Thus, secrecy or discretion, whichever you choose, serves all of us."

-------------
*Meri comes from a world wherein it is still a very Steampunkish 1890s, thus some of her mannerisms and jargon remain archaic in that respect.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:29:57 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #338 on: March 10, 2013, 10:23:05 pm »

"Well, if there's always folk like meself, believes in demons and the like, count on the Sultan to have discretion." A loud-mouth is not always a tattle-tale. Amir was the sort that talked a lot, but caught his tongue at all times.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #339 on: March 11, 2013, 03:15:53 am »

"I think we have an agreement sort of.  Now we suit up and get in the air." Donna was reminded of the stories her mother had told her about deals with the fae and she would have to keep her wits about her lest something was more than it seamed. All in all it made her feel nervous.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #340 on: March 11, 2013, 11:48:41 pm »

"Sounds alright to me, but Blue Duck needs a full tank and the reserve unit as well to take us all the way to Namu," Al said. "I've already got the bombracks full, just in case.
-----------------

"That is as well for this one," Meri said. "Whom Shall one ride with? I would prefer not to wing it alone for the entire distance. Not to be picky, but an aircraft easily exited so that one can land on one's own would be preferable." Two humps moved somewhat disturbingly under her trenchcoat, in roughly the same area as a human's shoulder blades and upper rear ribcage, down toward her hips. "A shame to ruin such a nice coat, but 'necessity takes priority,' as Master used to say. But not just yet." She looked from one person to another questioningly, seemed to come to a realization, sighed, and then added, "Upon my honor, I shall not partake of or harm any of the present company."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #341 on: March 12, 2013, 10:33:40 pm »

Amir was naturally the first to volunteer. He had a plane which ideally had a crew of three, and everyone else had their own craft, so he naturally flew solo most of the time. "Mine's a three-seater, got the pilot, 'n' two harpoons. The harpoons are so I can board zeppes and boats. Ain't replaced the rear harpoon, yet, though. That said, the Pearl's a mighty heavy craft. Might not be able to land on an atoll without a strip."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #342 on: March 12, 2013, 11:59:44 pm »

"Yes, one saw the manner in which your aeroplane remained in the air while you were aboard the Shawari Maru," Meri said, matter of factly. "An interesting way of doing it. The lack of an airstrip is of no moment for my part, though there is a strip at the far end of the island, as my siblings and I were told by our former masters - but it is populated with the aircraft of the Nippons." she added hastily, almost as if it were an afterthought.

"Once we get to the atoll, One can jump out and traverse to the strand below. One thanks you for your hospitality, Amir-san, she said somewhat huskily, though she was attempting at least a modicum of demureness; her eyes took on a bottomless, more human cast, the red tinge nearly disappearing to be replaced by nearly black wells of darkness as she looked up at him through her long lashes."Shall we prepare?" She asked after a short eternity. What is the matter with you, fool? she kicked at herself. He is ephemeral, a brief spark in the fires of eternity. Why does your blood sing so?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:11:39 am by MWBailey » Logged
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #343 on: March 13, 2013, 03:24:55 am »

"We're leavin' now?" Amir just smirked and got up, headed to his room. "Alright, meet you at the hangar, 'en. The Pearl's the big brown one, in case ya forgot." With that, he left the room to get to his own, and retrieve his flight coat and pilot's goggles. He also decided he needed to lie down on his bed for a short period of time, his back as killing him. All those dilapidated pillows on Donna's bed... Indeed, he had seen a side of her she hadn't shown many others, so he felt privileged.

What some people didn't understand about Amir was, he wasn't a romantic sort, but he didn't bed women as conquests. He bedded women to celebrate their beauty, and while sometimes he only has a woman once, he doesn't mind rolling in the sheets more than once with the same woman. All he's ever truly weary of is disease and conception, which he takes measures to prevent. While he seeks his own pleasure, he doesn't mind changing pace for the pleasure of the woman. He prefers the woman have a good time as well, so they can keep up a good relationship with friendly "benefits." He had a nearly Greek idea of women, that they were beautiful specimens of humanity which deserved to be praised by means of reciprocated pleasure. He wasn't entirely heartless like some women thought, but that Willa... She was a bit too romantic for his tastes, so he had to avoid her.

Amir sometimes found himself in a crisis like this over women. It wasn't unusual, but he stuck to his ways. These thoughts ran through his head as he lied on his bed. As he reassured himself of his humanity towards women, he got up, his back cracking, arching it to work out the pain, and stood to stretch, listening for additional instruction or anything of the sort.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #344 on: March 13, 2013, 05:35:07 am »

Donna could not say if she was happy or annoyed by Amir offering up his ship.  It meant she did not have to fly with a vampire but she sort of wished he wouldn't be alone with her.  Things with him had changed.  He had seen her at her most soft and he had not called her childish.  Amir had been a warmth she had not realised she missed. Donna was unsure if she could move forward.  He would never be just hers, he was not the man she should take home to her father.  Now she had to decide if she was aright with that.  Either way this was new and odd, "Lady duck you riding on this?  Sounds like we have a peck of trouble."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #345 on: March 13, 2013, 09:10:47 pm »

"We've just gotten a flight of seahawks ferried in," Sabre answered Donna, "Basically, just warhawks with center floats and stabilizer bullets on the wingtips. The floats include an integral spare fuel tank. I've been dying to give one try, and Blue Duck needs most ofteh copilot's cockpit for her auxiliary tank, so I'll be piloting a seahawk. Let me go and orde rone to be readied, and I'll take that cab ove rto the Grimstock berths." She gave Al a peck on the cheek "Don't miss me too much, darling Drake." she said, and they embraced for a moment, then Sabre went to use the office phone.

"Well, I guess that means we're all saddling up again, then," Al said.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:02:10 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #346 on: March 13, 2013, 10:55:55 pm »

"At least we aren't dealing with pesky ninjas." Donna said taming her hair back in to a braid and putting on a flight cap.  She downed her coffee and smiled at Al.  "Here we go again."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #347 on: March 14, 2013, 07:53:01 am »

"Outta the fryin' pan an' back inda th' breach, huh?" Al grinned back. "Don't worry about the ninjas, they're fairly trusty once you get 'em on your side," he said, as he glanced out and watched the lissome, apparently non-Japanese, ninja girl walk appraisingly around the Pearl. "I just hope she doesn't wear 'im out. Well, I'd better go and get Sparky to help me put the spare tank aboard the Duck and get fueled'n saddled up. You need help gettin' your ship ready?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #348 on: March 14, 2013, 08:08:45 am »

"I could use a hand looking over my guns if you don't mind. Hen can fire them but not help with the up keep"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #349 on: March 14, 2013, 04:28:13 pm »

"Alright, let me get Duck's spare tank secured, and then I'll be there with my toolbox," Al said. He looked at a crate left rather conspicuously beside the 'Receiving' desk out in the hangar proper. "Oh, by the by, looks like they delivered that bunch of ammo that Ladyduck got for ya," he said, slapping the two-foot-tall wooden ammunition crate, stencilled 'Grimstock Ltd., Munitions and Victuals Division' on the sides and top.

He grabbed the two-wheel truck, slipped the tongue under the crate, and called one of the mechanics over to haul it to Donna's 'plane. "Give 'er a hand wi' this, will ya, and tell Sparky to bring the forklift and the Duck's spare tank, ah?"

"You lot goin' out again, Mister Al?"

"Yep. might be a while, too. Don't take any wooden nickels, and if the new hires come back after we're gone, gas 'em back up, and send 'em along after us, we might have use for a big flyin' boat like that."

"Will do, Sir."

"I'll be along in a few, Donna," Al said, as the mechanic prepared to follow the young lady pilot.

About twenty minutes later, Al showed up at Donna's plane's berth with his "toolbox," a big steamer trunk on heavy-duty casters. "Hum... looks like you could use a wiegand wrench on that sear pin... here..." he rummaged and rattled around in the trunk and then handed a double box end wrench that bent at right angles in several places, made for getting into difficult-to-approach adjustment locations. Originally designed for working on typewriters, it had proven to be almost indispensable for adjusting the Duck's  forward twin synchronized .30's.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:43:25 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: