The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 07:11:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Birds of Paradise Game Thread: Episode 1 (The Mysterious Prototype)  (Read 13298 times)
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 12:46:20 am »

"They hold an annual air race there, would like to enter but it's for ducks not Hawks."

He turned from the blueprint and headed for the door.

"Going to get cleaned up before I eat."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 12:54:32 am »

"Ducks'll give you a run for your money, though," Al retorted. "you might be able to outrun me, but I'll bet I can outfall you."*

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 01:27:59 am »

"A slip of the tongue Al, I meant sea planes of course, Hawk doesn't do so well with water starts." 

He left the duty room heading to his bunk he dropped his kit bag then headed for the showers pulling off the flight suit he dumped it in the corner and slid out of his underclothes stepping into the scolding water letting the heat sting his skin waking him from his all nighter he washed the grime from his body the black filth swirling round his feet as he scrubbed and scraped his skin and hair.

Clean and refreshed he dried himself and pulled on his underclothing returning to his bunk he slid into the two piece leather flight gear strapping on his weapons and equipment he finally slid the cowl over his head pulling the laces tight along the spine of the leather hood he twisted his neck checking the fit before leaving and returning to the Duty Room.
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 01:32:44 am »

"Hello Eric, I trust you are ready to do a recon sweep over Fiji?" said Carl. "I've already made up my mind, and you have the fastest plane."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

Why do living things need feelings?

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 01:35:14 am »

Amir laughed heartily and placed the bottle on the planning table. "M'lady, I never took ya for one, but with the offer comes a promise; if I can keep up I have a chance, aye? I assure ya, I've done my fair share 'a rug cuttin'. A man such as meself needs to know how to work his feet."

Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 01:38:55 am »

"Fiji."

He went to the coffee pot and poured himself a drink taking a sip he grimaced and put the cup down.

"Do they have decent coffee there?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 02:12:09 am »

Donna burst out laughing.  "Like you would know good solid coffee with that fancy stuff you drink." She teased refilling her own cup and pushing Henrietta's head aside.  She had no idea what a caffeinated chicken could do and she did not want to find out.  "We are on then Amir.  I look forward to seeing what those feet can do."
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:15:34 am by Stella Gaslight » Logged

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 03:06:12 am »

Clicking his tongue twice and saluting the captain and the nominated scout, Eric, Amir got up and disposed of his bottle and left the room. He was headed for the hangar, and planned to catch the captain befor he and Eric left for Fiji.
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 12:17:45 am »

"Well right now I'd settle for a strong hearty Columbian but in truth I've a real hankering for a rich full bodied Brazilian."

He turned his attention to the Captain.

"I'll need an hour or so to fuel and fit my auxiliary tanks but I'm itching to fly, I'll go pick up my camera too see if I can get some good holiday snaps."

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:21:25 am by Cpt Wallace » Logged
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 12:35:08 am »

"Cap'n, I gather I'll be off to keep an eye on our client. Hate to leave without your permission, 'a course." Amir untied his keffiyeh and closed his aba, seeming less Arabian in dress, and a bit more Euro-Turkish. The full length of his hair fail to about the middle of his upper back. "Seein' as how this'll be one of the few disadvantages to bein' the only Arab on the station, I'll see about getting some powder so I seem more C'casian, and I might dye my hair for a short time."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 04:02:48 am »

"I can look among the merchants, I may even be able to get you some coffee out of it  Eric.  Playing prince in exile is sure to rack up some bills and stick in people's memories. Don't know how hard I can push for data but it can't hurt. Besides I need to go around for the fuel order if we are all going to eventually trek to Fiji.  The spare tank on my rig inst near full enough to keep all of us going especially after Shanghai."  She darted forward when Henrietta decided she wanted to come along with Eric.  "Now miss Hen you had better get along with me he doesn't have any corn for you." 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 05:16:02 am »

"I'll settle for anything that doesn't taste like 10w40, and wakes me up quick," Al said. "Fancy brews just cost money, and that stuff that's 'processed' by monkeys is just too risky for my tastes. Gimme good solid beans ground in a crusher and perked in hot water, like we have here. Beautifully horrible and good for you, too."

"Guess I'll hang loose and wait for the yahoos from dirtside to misjudge the distance like usual," he said. "and stand ready to fish 'em out and fly 'em in so's they can hire a trawler to fish their birds outta th' drink." Such fares and the occasional attendant bonus or retainer were mostly working-class drudgery, but they kept a trickle of capital coming in. As he said the last couple of sounds of the last word of that sentence, the telephone rang. Al picked it up, said the necessary words, and called out, "Startin' early! Jap diplomatic packet's down and floatin' about fifty miles out. Am I cleared for the run, Cap'n?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 06:26:18 am »

"Ah if I mention it is for you Al I may get a discount.  I think the lady that runs the dry goods shop near the square is sweet on you."  She picked the chicken up as Hen clucked disappointed, "Those are shoe lases Hen not worms but you be a good girl and I will see if I can get some meal worms for you."
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 12:46:42 pm »

He headed back towards the hangar and to The Hawk his plane looking over the wings he went to the extra fuel tanks and rolled them across the hangar floor empty they were heavy but full they'd have been unmovable fitting them while empty was a simple enough matter he hoisted them on the frame they sat on and engaged the clamps he stepped back after only a few minutes and sighed.

"Best find some fuel."

He wandered out into the platform heading to one of the other hangers looking for anyone he knew, he strode through the hanger looking at the other planes with wild interest pausing by a large cargo hauler he stepped round the nose looking down it's length.

"Eric! what you snooping around for?"

He looked up at the mass of red beard that had pushed it's way through one of the small cockpit windows the brown eyes lost in the mass of hair narrowed.

"I'm after fuel Seamus, you got any spare?"

"How much you need?"

"Enough to fill The Hawk and her spares."

"Can't help you there I need my fuel for a run to Samoa."

"That's what less than half a tank for this tub, you've got plenty to spare."

"Said I can't help."

"I remember that next time you need a repair then should I, which by the way you haven't paid me for the last time yet."

Seamus' eyes narrowed even further and he growled as he pulled his head back in cursing and swearing all the way through his plane he appeared at the loading bay.

"You are seriously pulling this on me?"

Seamus was a beast of a man taller even than Eric and three times his weight his arms were like trunks of trees and to have him bearing down on you was a frightening experience especially when he was angry and spoiling for a fight.

"You're the one who's been avoiding me because you don't want to pay me for my work."

He made sure he was speaking loud enough that others could hear his words.

"Fuel, enough to fill my plane and we call it even."

Seamus nodded huffing as he went back into his plane his voice booming back out.

"You'll have it within the hour."

He smiled and headed back to his plane

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 03:55:16 am »

Al made it out to the hangar about then, and set about making ready for takeoff, doing the standard walkaround and inspecting every bolt, nut, and screw, by the standard checklist.. The Blue Duck being (among other things) a rescue craft, she was kept fueled up by Al by purchasing a little fuel every time he made port, and never allowing her tank to dip below half-full if her could help it. Sometimes that meant dining on strong coffee and whatever pastries were left over in the squadron's ready room instead of noshing in the commissary, or visiting Milady and letting her spoil him a little, but he managed it. She seemed to enjoy treating him, and in fact kept after him to let her do so more often.

Finally, the Blue Duck was ready to be started. This had originally been accomplished via the old "contact" windup system, then by boosting the propshaft with a blank shell like the big multiengine flying boats, but he had found it to be useful to install an electric starting motor; it made it easier to stop the prop and restart it for those water-landing missions that made such a maneuver necessary. The dry land retractable undercarriage made it a truly amphibious, if slightly ungainly-looking , aircraft; several people had noted over the years that were it not for the enormous wingspan, it would look as it if it should not be able to fly. The fact that it did so and did  it well in both worlds made it an extremely versatile aircraft.

with a whine followed by the Chucka-chucka catching on the cylinders, the engine started and he slowly richened the fuel-to-air mixture and then upped the revs, releasing the carriage brakes, and rolled out onto Strip Nine, the one reserved for Station HTA craft. After getting authorization from the Tower, he revved up to taxi, then to takeoff speed, the Duck finally leaving the strip surface and then climbing up at a slightly steeper angle as Al banked slightly and executed a turn to starboard, in the direction of the reported downed diplomatic 'plane...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 07:21:30 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 06:48:39 am »

Donna took hen to a little portable fenced in yard near her own aircraft and cooed to her until the chicken was calm and roosting in a nest box. Then taking advantage of most of the boys being gone she took an extra long shower and washed her hair.  While she was taming her golden mass back in to a simple braid  she cooked a much better breakfast the the pastries in the ready room.  She was in no real hurry most of the merchants were busy in the morning and evening when the most ships came in but right after lunch when things were calm and resting she could get them to tell her all sorts of things to pass the time.  Donna put on simple colourful market day clothes and got a big basket making a list of what they needed.  She walked down the hall and stopped on a door knocking. "Amir care to come around with me?  If we put you in some mechanics overalls, a hat to cover your hair and a strategic bit of grease and I could say you were one of my cousins.  I have about 13 of those so it would take a while for anyone to figure out you aren't one. After a bit you would blend right in and they would forget you the same way they forget the other trailing tinkers."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 01:34:43 pm »

"Aye, m'thanks, Donna. Forewarnin', though, don't do anything what can't be washed off or healed, aye? I have a reputation to keep." Amir gave a nod to himself and let Donna in for her work. "That, said, ma'am, I'm wonderin' why you're helpin' me, without me askin' for you to."
Cpt Wallace
Snr. Officer

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 01:47:26 pm »

Fuelled and ready he made way pulling up to a high altitude he set his throttle to just below maximum and turned towards Fiji

"Not sure if anyone is on the wireless at base yet but I'll need to stop off on one of the outer islands before doing my recon sweep, I'll check in when I get there which should be in three hours."

He set the radio to an open channel and settled into his flight seat adjusting the fuel intake and then set to the task of piloting, the distance he was travelling wouldn't allow for much in the way of fancy flying just more a point himself in the right direction and sit back and relax, he set the planes auto guider and sat back closing his eyes.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 06:38:27 pm »

Donna braided his hair a little slopply like the boys at home did when they were little.  "I am doing this because if our mission goes pear shaped I want a good way out.  Not like China where we were lucky to get out by the seat of our pants.  Besided you are no good for dancing if someone takes offence at your following the client like a hound and fills you full of holes." She handed him a small pot of grease.  "Put abit under your nails and begind your ears and any place you think you wouls miss if you badly cleaned your face."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 09:21:23 pm »

"Don't worry, I know a fair bit a fist-fightin'. Had my fair share 'a brawls in my years, mostly due to disgruntled husbands, might I add." Before applying the grease, Amir looked at himself in a smudged mirror, examining his new hair style. "You sure this shade'll pass for ya kin, Donna?" he asked, pulling the braid to the side as he tilted his head. "Right, we can define that later. Now, the grease."

A bit under the eyes, behind the ears, in the hairline, his neck. He figured the shade of his skin would simply be accounted to workaholic things. But he knew that the sun tended to blonde hair in Caucasians. Luckily, he was clean shaven, save for a very light stubble on his upper lip, though he greased his facial follicles so it would clot about the hair. He took another look into the smudged mirror. "Think I'm set?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 09:40:14 pm »

"You look like aunt Lucenda's little boy Anthony only taller.  I swear that boy is built like a refrigarator.  Don't worry too much about your skin. The Aries are a bunch of muts.  We tend to be romantic dreamers that go out on adventures to find love.  Only half of my aunts are Brazilan any way." She smiled at her handywork.  "If you talk planes and know your way around an engine you will be fine."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2012, 01:48:23 am »

"I know my way around a Fokker or a Hawk, don't worry, but the last thing we should worry 'bout is the accent." And if you listened hard enough, Amir's eager Syrian accent seemed to interfere with the American Hispanic facade. "Granted, though, I hear you talk enough. A nice long speech," his voice lowered to a whisper, "from that beautiful mouth of yours," and back to the regular volume, "and a few minutes of practice and I should be able to imitate it."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 02:51:30 am »

The Ambassador from the Nipponese Empire of the Japans looked skyward as a lone biplane circled overhead. He nodded his head as the pilot looked in his direction, flare pistol in hand. The pilot fired the flare skyward, and it puffed out a huge gout of red smoke and floated slowly down on its attached chute, the smoke and sparking flames trailing away from it in the breeze, showing the wind direction for the rescue craft.

Al saw that flare and took careful note of the wind direction as he sideslipped, shedding altitude , and then swooped down for a low, slow pass over the downed landlubber plane. The Blue Duck was capable of speeds that were high for a biplane, but her wing configuration and span also made slow passes like this, which would stall most monoplanes, possible. He brought her down, finally, as close as he dared to the transport, and sighed, "and now we're a boat again." he taxied over close to the rapidly-sinking Nipponese plane,  and stopped the engine, climbed out of the cockpit and down the side, and clambered to the front of the float, pulling the oar loose from its mounting just above the now-retracted dry land gear, and paddled over close to the tip of the transport's wing, where the diplomat and flight crew already waited, bearing among them a large portmanteau and a bundle that looked as it it might contain a katana

Pleasantries exchanged and the cargo loaded below in the passenger compartment, Al conducted the diplomatic embassy it self into that same area. "Sorry It's so small," he said, "the others are all taking care of other duties at the moment."  The diplomat insisted upon thanking Al profusely anyway, and Al finally retreated to the cockpit and started the engine and headed for home, announcing over the radio that he had picked up the diplomatic team and was returning to base.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:55:43 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2012, 08:33:38 am »

"Ah I see how you reel them in." She said with a smile.  "Let me tell you about cousin Lorenzo's biplane.  It is a story most of us know any way and I think it will help you.  You see Lorenzo thought he knew better than Papa Donavon.  Yes I am named after my grandfather.  My father was very sure I was a boy up to the point I was actually born. But any way cousin Lorenzo was cocksure of himself and set out to win the races at the family reunion. A good chunk of us fly so we have a flashy air regatta of sorts at every family reunion. The sky is in our blood as papa likes to say. Well cousin Lorenzo came in last at the races in his bright green biplane one year too many and he hatched a plan to win the next year with a secret weapon of rockets..."  She told him the story in between talking with Al on the radio.  "And that is why I say and sure and Lorenzo could win the same way most people say and pigs could fly."
Automatonicalitivity
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2012, 05:22:30 pm »

Amir listened intently, attempting to imitate the accent as Donavon talked with Al over the radio. After a few tangents, he felt he had it down, but kept practicing during radio chatter.

When Donna finished spinning her yarn, he cleared his throat theatrically. "It would take both Al and I to fix that thing fast, wouldn't it? Something tells me even that wouldn't help too much. Good story, by the way," he said in a nearly perfect Brazilian accent. The flaws were there, but they were faint. It would take a Brazilian to figure him out, and they'd probably say he was Ecuadorian or something like that. He spotted the flaws himself, but noted their faintness in his head.

"Not too bad, right?" he said, returning to his Syrian accent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: