The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:08:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Iron Heavenly Part One: Gathering A Crew  (Read 4482 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 03:09:53 am »

"Might could be a good idea, just to be sure," Cyrus said. "Could be he's just rasslin' with a problem, but even then, it might not be a bad idea to  see what that problem might be..."

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 04:16:58 am »

"Let's offer him a drink or two.  I have known very few lads that would turn that down." Smileing she knocked on Badger's door.  "We have some damed good rum. Wanna drink or two."

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2013, 09:30:30 am »

Having reached a general concensus between his two halves, the weapon had developed quickly before him on the page. A testament to the Mechanicus' art, it was no statesmans plaything, built to impress others more with gaudy decoration than with its killing capabilities. It was a murderers tool, nothing more, nothing less; simple, rugged, and brutally lethal. Completely devoid of ornamentation, it was as if someone had taken every possible definition of the word gun and forged it into a single perfect killing tool, sleek and deadly as a rattlers strike.

The basic design was derived from the blueprints to his Les Baer Match grade competition target model pulse pistol, which sat, field stripped, next to him as he tinkered with it under an overpowered magnifying glass.

A knock on his door followed by Tessa's voice made him smile as he hollered in reply "Come In" before returning to his work with a miniscule pair of calipers and a needle file.

Naturally the design on the paper was but a rough design, despite its anal retentive attention to detail and accuracy, and would provide a foundation for the finishing touches. Nothing too flashy, just some filework along the back rib, trigger, trigger guard, and rear sights as well as a pair of exhibition grade mesquite burl grips that matched his walking stick. Both of which served as reminders of his home. 

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2013, 08:06:18 pm »

"Do you like rum? I figure drinking a toast or two to a new voyage is good luck."  She poured a him a cup and looked at his plans.  "Nice plans.  I like guns that don't fall apart when you look at them sideways." Lux had been dragged all over the place and been used as a spear so she could get behind a firearm you could also use as a club.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2013, 11:55:01 pm »

Strong liquor brought by a beautiful lady, what's not to like?' He gave a soft chuckle and put his tools down, turning to face the huntress. He couldn't help but admire the sleek predatory grace with which she moved so naturally. He shotgunned the liquor feeling the warm fire hit his stomach like a blow
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:01:15 am by steamcowboy92 » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 12:43:17 am »

"Ah you are a flatterer." She poured him one then took another drink herself letting the warmth creep up her spine.  "Are you a gunsmith?  I dabble in that, mainly pulse weapons.  I make veritable firing modes for my Lux.  So far I have a heat beam, rapid fire and I am working on a sound mode but I haven't been able to test it yet."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 04:06:00 am »

"Tis nae flattery if it be true lass" he sipped at his drink this time, letting the warmth seep into his soul. " My father was a gunsmith of some repute back home, I learned quite a bit from him before I left for England" he gestured to the disassembled pistol and blueprints next to him. "You've seen some of my work, I'd be interested in sampling some of yours if your of a mind."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2013, 04:33:04 am »

"Sure I warn you tho it is a simple kit gun with some extras."  Tessa tried to neaten Lux but it was hard to do so with the dinged up stock and the bayonet was pitted.  "This is is Lux. Short for deluxe pulse rifle. It isn't much to look at but it has saved my ass many a time."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2013, 03:05:07 pm »

Turning the weapon over and over in his hands as he examined it, his fingers traced every line and ding in the gun, memorizing them as he tore the gun apart in his head, right down to the smallest bolt. "Its good work, for a dabbler," his mouth split in a slight grin as he continued examining the weapon.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 09:08:03 pm »

Tessa smiled.  "When we are little we are taught that our weapon is the gap between life and death and as long as we stay on the right end of the gap we can keep on hunting. I cant carry my ironwood spear most places or people get nervous but Lux here no one seams to mind."  She shrugged her shoulders people outside the tribe were downright odd sometimes.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:52 am »

"Engineer's mate on my Halcyon used to go about with a chinese spear, you know,  with the big tassle for soakin' up blood and all. He'd put a sheath over the blade, and most people seemed to think it was a fancy staff. Same difference as when I used to wear my cutlass on a staple with no scabbard, People were always gettin' uppity about it." Cyrus shrugged. "Maybe it's about there bein' a naked blade where people kin see it."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:08:07 am by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2013, 04:00:35 am »

"When people hear I am from the green moons they get downright particular and expect me to attack them for no reason like I am a beast or something. I never have... well accept for that one time at the bar but he was hooting and making monkey noises so he was asking for it." Tessa frowned and took another sip.  People could be dangerously rude.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 02:19:49 pm »

I get the same response when I tell people I'm from Texas, difference is I'm actually liable to hit someone." He gave a soft chuckle and returned Luxury to her owner "she be a pretty gun for a pretty girl"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 08:47:26 pm »

"Thank you.  Some times I think the universe would be a better place if people just learned to shut up and drink."  She paused to do just that.  "I wonder where we are headed.  It is odd to go to sleep in one place and wake up in another entirely."  The green moon had no means of transport other than beasts and your own two feet.  Flying crafts were tightly controlled and not even allowed to touch the planet's surface.  To leave you had to stand at the top of a rickety tower and climb up in to a ship.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 08:51:56 pm »

I'd lay odds it'll be someplace where people with our obvious talents are needed," Cyrus said, a note of - irony? - in his voice. "I sorta doubt we'll be shoppin' for the fleet's groceries."
Andrew Styles
Gunner

(Aspiring) Airship Captain for Her Majesty's Army

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:34 pm »

The intercom crackled to life, filling the halls with the slight white noise of an untimulated microphone.

"New crew, this is the captain speaking... not that there is anyone else with us here, but that's beside the point. We are about five minutes from the jump to the next, habitable, Confederation controlled star system, known as Borthas. We will be landing on a small moon orbiting JI-33, a gas giant. More information will be provided once we arrive."

There was a pause, to let the crew digest what he had just told them. He continued:

"The galaxy is very far away, so the jump will take about an hour to complete. For those who want more information as to why this is, and how the Subspace feild works, you can talk to me during the jump. That is all."

There was a moment of silence, before the mic crackled to life once again.

"Also, DO NOT touch the controlls. The Subsace feild is erratic, and pulling us out, or moving us could spit us out millions of light years away from anywhere, and we don't have the fuel for another jump from too far away. Anyone who tries will be killed on sight. No exceptions, unless I condone it. If you wish to, join me in the cockpit. That is all... for real this time."

"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

Check out my blog! www.musingsoftheteenagemind.wordpress.com
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2013, 06:03:52 am »

Tessa looked at her companions confued.  "Are shipboard waring allways this dire?" The craft she had ridden on from the green moon was held together with baleing wire and good intentions but there had never been much of a warning about anything on it. If they made it to port then exelent if not they went much bothered.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2013, 03:47:48 pm »

"I honestly couldn't tell you. I don't have the pleasure of knowing our captain well enough to say. Could be he's fresh out of the Academy, and afraid of screwing up, could be he has a stick up his bum, or it could be that like myself, he's not firing on all eight cylinders..." he paused before adding " most likely though its that he knows something we don't and it has him on edge. I intend to find out however."
He left the disassembled weapon where it lay, and grabbed his cane, leaning on it slightly as he made his way to the fore. He hoped for a pleasantly enlightening conversation with the power that be aboard his latest venture. He didn't know the man well enough to respect him just yet, what he did respect however was the paycheck the man offered, so for now he would be the perfect little soldier...again.   
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2013, 04:03:32 pm »

Cyrus looked at the young woman. Surely she's fared on a Jump ship before, if she's fresh from th' academy, he thought.

"The jumps on a ship o' this type tend to do damage to both the hull an' th' mechanicals," he said. "that's th' reason th' hull plating's in spaced, foot-thick layers, and the for'rd end is capped like a scabbard tip; it's a combination of the high speed friction of gas bodies and debris and things in the way, the speed the ship's cookin' along at above lightspeed, and th' effect the spacetime effect the jump has on materials all by itself." He drawled in a thickish Virginia accent. He raked a hand through his hair.

"The Halcyon had to have her for'rd platin' replaced three times in the ten years I had her, and that was just for runs in the solar system. It's an expensive proposition to own a ship, an' you don't just go out and grab another when yours gets shot to pieces and you lose your arse to lost cargo and irate partners, unless you're Navy an' there're other commands available."  Cyrus sighed. "I think I'll stick to flyin' other people's ships for a while. After you, Miss Tessa..."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 06:40:04 pm »

"Some green moon people have this phobia of space travle so when I was on ship they gave me a bunk with no windows and the pa system was for the most part turned off.  A scared hunter is not a good one but l like the stars.  They used to call me little starry eyes because of how I followed the shapes in the night sky."  Tessa imagined that was the first sign that she was going to grow up and leave home.  "We have diffrent names for the star shapes then you do but I could teach you some time."
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »

Corlon sat in his chair, looking at the gleaming white skyscrapers before him, watching the hover-vehicles, like ants, march to and fro. The ship would be taking off shortly. Just to be safe, he lookat at the internal and external scanners on the dashboard. Ther was no movement that wasn't his crew. That was good, but the three sightings of white was a little concerning. There had to be a reason that all three of his crewmates noticed the same person in the crowd. He turned towards the automatic door as Badger stepped in, cane in hand.

"How nice of you to join me. I understand my warning probably didn't phase a tough man such as yourself. If I came off harsh, trust me, I did not mean to. I find it a bit disconcerning that all three of you saw the same being presumably. I wouldn't want a sabotage on our hands, by anyone, for any reason."

There was a pause, before Cpt. Nethersole spoke again.

"Not to imply you aor any of my new crew would do such a thing. No, I did my research on all of you. I mean some sort of outside force. Someone with a grudge. Anyway, sit if you like. What did you do in the Military in your past?"

Corlon took of his large hat, and set it down on top of the scanners, without looking at it. The ships floor vibrated slightly as electricity coursed through its engines, readying the take off, and subsequent sip into the subspace feild.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2013, 08:30:27 pm »

"Military?" Cyrus spoke up. "I was a reb during the late unpleasantness in the states. A marine. I started on that blockade of Newport News, and stayed there 'til the Yankee battery barges drove us off. I spent the rest o' th' war totin' a rifle aboard a commerce raider. Most of my enemies and 'nefarious times' came after the war, when the rest of Earth was colonizing the solar system.

I started out as a ramrod on a Barsoom  packet, bootstrapped my way to first mate, then took my share of a stake and bought a small lighter, worked that trade a while, then did one thing and another, and finally owned and commanded the Halcyon, the fastest ...ahem... 'sensitive cargo' jumper in the system."

'sensitive cargo' was system-wide spacer jargon for contraband or smuggled goods; smugglers were not always pirates or thieves, however; there was a very lively market for experienced smugglers hauling for the government.

"Which is what I's doing when an old enemy , allied with a few more ol' enemies, decided to ambush me off Titan. Halcyon's plating'd seen a few too many jumps already, so she was more vulnerable than she would otherwise've been." Cyrus explained.

"it's possible it was an old enemy o' mine back at the dock; I was a stickler for right action and pretty rough with unruly crew and wriongdoers aboard ship, so I've made a many few enemies, and they've got 'em a many few grudges."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2013, 08:45:11 pm »

"You mistake me captain" Badger said, crossing his right foot behind his left as he leaned heavily on his cane, after Cyrus had finished "I'm the furthest thing in the world from a tough man. Why, I'm really just a big teddy bear inside" a mischievous look twinkled in his eyes. "I absolutely despise violence with every fiber of my being. Tough men and violent men die early and unpleasant deaths, I fully intend to make it to old age so that I can drop dead in a brothel surrounded by beautiful naked women...and a midget"

He remained standing, out of habit more than anything else, all this sitting and standing played merry hob with his bad knee "I was a special operations and improvised ordinance technician.... a sneaky bastard if you will Sir, specializing in dirty tricks, and underhanded tactics. That's why I was recruited you see, I may hate violence, but I'm oh so very good at it."   
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2013, 09:08:25 pm »

"I am a trianed scout and sharpshooter sir.  Before this I was deployed to help find millatary crimanals but I didn't get on too well with the first mate." She had to stop herself before she called him a warf rat.  Best to hold her toung and make a good impression.
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2013, 10:27:52 pm »

"Sorry to cut you short, but we had better be jumpin'!" Corlon said, turning to the controll pannel and flipping switches and dials like a madman.

"Corss your fingers and hold on tight. Your first FTL... I assume this is your first jump... can be a bit jarring. The feeling of being pulled back is something you get used to, but feel for the duration of the jump. Good luck!"

Corlon could barely be heard over the sounds of the engines now, and he pushed the large, red button once more, and dipped into the subspace feild. The veiw windown went black, and everyone was thrust backwards by the acceleration. They were headed off towards JI-33.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: