The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 05:19:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Iron Heavenly Part One: Gathering A Crew  (Read 4483 times)
Andrew Styles
Gunner
United States United States

(Aspiring) Airship Captain for Her Majesty's Army

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 08:01:58 pm »

Meanwhile, a large, slender man stepped out of the crowd in the spaceport. The four of them had just left his sight after the captain had deemed the bouncer a possible crewmate. He wore a long, white trench coat covered in pockets, both inside and out. At his side was a small rapier and a pistol, and countless other weapons inside the coat's long drapes. His boots clacked against the metal floor. His dark, coacoa colored face was calm and collected. No one approached him, and his mental state was that of someone who had done this a million times. Infiltrate, eliminate, escape. It was an equasion that this man had down to a sience. The tunnel towards the ship was closed, but that was no problem. He would find a way in. Zebedia Weller would find a way. Cyrus Grey would be dead by the next day, and so would be the crew of the Iron Heavenly. His employer was paying too much for him to fail.

"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

Check out my blog! www.musingsoftheteenagemind.wordpress.com
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 10:16:07 pm »

Grey flicked a mote of dust from his jacket, using the half-turn used to do so as a cover for glancing back behind the group as they made their way into the tunnel; that old itch that warned there were either snipers in the trees, or somebody tailing him, was driving him crazy right between his shoulderblades, where he couldn't get at it. He saw a flash of white, but that meant only that someone behind them was wearing white. Still, he he re-loosened his pistol and kept the cutlass out, just in case. He didn't like the vibe he was getting...

Later, as they sat down in the cockpit, Grey considered the options, and decided it was better to be thought an idiot than to let a threat go unreported.

"Cap'n, it might be nothin', but I got a feelin' like we were bein' watched... bad, like. Same feelin' I used to get when there were snipers around."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:20:46 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 02:07:23 am »

"Don't call me Captain yet. You still might not be on the crew. It's nothing to worry about. I'll shut the two tunnel doors. Anyone inside wont be able to get out, and anyone out won't be able to get in." At this, Corlon wheeled in reverse, and slammed his hand  down on a small red button. After the sound of the airlock doors had ceased to ring in his ears, he wheeled back towards his soon to be crew, looking them over once again.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 07:20:32 am »

"I wonder whose eyes we must have attracted."  Tessa was thinking about the crowds they passed. No one had stood out but here was a flash of white she couldn't quite account for. Tessa looked at the captain unsure if she should mention it or not.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 11:10:23 am »

Cyrus let the distrustful remark slide, but truth to tell, they were beginning to get irksome. Would 'e prefer I was some trigger-happy, fresh-faced nitwit straight outta th' admiralty academy, I wonder? he thought to himself, finally sheathing the cutlass and buttoning the strap back down on the holster at his side, and laying the banjo carefully in an out-of-the-way corner of the cockpit gear stowage, behind the net so that it would not be a liability if he were still aboard when they took off before sitting in the indicated seat.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 05:30:22 am »

Hearing the others remarks as he lit a smoke, badger pretended to ignore then as he kept his head pointed straight ahead. His eyes however were constantly scanning anything for a mildly reflective surface for a glimpse over his shoulder as they boarded

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 06:15:50 pm »

An hour or so, Corlon as satisfied that his new recruits were trustworthy enough to have onboard. The crew would be small enough to complete stealth missions, but just enough to keep the ship in working order. He stood up from his chair, and hitched his hands in his pockets.

"Alright, you got the job. I ass ume you have all you belongings?" He said. WHen the others nodded, he gestured towards the door on the right side of the cockpit.

"Down that hall is a large, circular room with four hallways on each side. The one on the right leads to the dorms. Straight is the mess hall, and the left side descendes to the lower levels of the ship. After you all are settled, feel free to roam around. My dorm is at the end of the hallway, so try to keep out of there. THe rest of the ship is open to you. We will be jumping in a few hours. Aquaint yourselves with eachother and the ship. You'll be here a while."

At this, Corlon spun on his heel, and walked towards the controll panel, where he began to fiddle idly with the various knobs, buttons, guages, and switches.
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 07:58:50 pm »

stubbing out his cigarette against a wall panel, Badger turned around and introduced him self, "Folks call meh Badger, or Gunny, ah'll ansah tah both." he transferred the mesquite shafted walking stick under his arm and stuck out his now free hand to Cyrus, before turning and tipping his hat to Tessa, bowing slightly at the waist as he did so.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 09:30:36 pm »

Cyrus shook the hand that was offered, and replied, "Cyrus Grey. Most folks call me Cyrus. They's some people around what used to call me 'Cap'n,' but that's all over anyhow." He tipped his hat. "Miss Tessa."

He found his way to the crew dorms and chose one on the inner wall in the corner, like three walk-in closets, a sink-and-filtration head unit in the middle one one, a desk, chair, and a wide bench in the front, and a bunk in the third and innermost area, all separated by sliding screens or pocket doors. All looked as if they had fold-out extra beds embedded in the walls. This tub must take a big crew complement when fully loaded, Cyrus thought.

He hung the banjo by the loop behind the peghead on a hook in the rearmost room beside the bunk, and then took the key that hung on the hook beside the range, exited the room, locked the door, and then pocketed the key and went off to look around a bit. So used was he to going around armed, he didnt even think about removing any of his weapons.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:43:33 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 03:10:58 am »

"Tessa Norton of Green Barrow."  She said with a small bobbing bow unsure of what to make of Badger. Tessa looked at the small rooms and picked the one with the squeaky door if someone was coming to visit she wanted to know before hand.  The green folk did not like pictures of people. They held you in place and exposed you to eyes but landscapes were well loved and were taken seriously as an art.  Beside the bed she posted a large picture of the hunting lands her family had used since they were founded.  Slowly and carefully she set up an alter to the beasts and lit the sweet grass incense.  The smell brought her mind home to the plains when her body could not be there.  The smoke rose true and straight, a good omen for this voyage. She watched Cyrus walk by taking in his movements then closed her eyes to memorize the sound.  Some of her past shipmates had found her scrutiny unnerving but being able to know where they were just by the echoes down the hall was a useful skill.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 04:59:38 pm »

Sniff...Sniiiifffff...

Cyrus smelled something burning. It didnt smell like the kind of burning one dreaded on board one of the Light-jumping ships, the smell of melting insulation and overheated metal, but rather like... hay... Yes, that was it, it smelled like the hay smoke that used to come from the fireboxes of the streamdriven baling machines back home; the farmers lacked coal or coal oil or pertrol or the money to buy them, and wood was scarce as there were no big woods around. Animal dung always seemed to cause weird deposits in the flues, so dried grass, shrubs, scrub wood and large quantities of waste hay and straw tended to be used for fuel. The smoke smell was like that.

He retraced his steps back the way he had come, following his nose, and came to the open door of Tessa's room, adn made out the shape of teh altar

"Sayin' a prayer for th' ship?" he asked.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 06:44:23 pm »

"It is a wish for good hunting and a reminder to the vast spirit we are here. Sometimes they forget sir." She smiled this was a better beginning than her last ship where one of the other deck monkeys had tried to mess with the alter and gotten his hand broken for his trouble. She rubbed the spot were she was missing fingers from her right hand remembering.  He had given her the nickname of stumpy beast after that because of her hand and it had taken a lot of beers and brawls to convince the ship she was not having that.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 07:53:36 pm »

"Smells like home," Cyrus said, "People in the Valley used to use hay and straw to fuel the baling machines." Tha's afore they flooded the valley to keep the Yankees away. Kind've a waste and a dumb tactic, if you ask me, but I was away with the Navy when they did it. Idjits."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 08:50:03 pm »

Tessa nodded. "Like burning out the Beela Hogs. I have four uncles with burns on their backs from that.  This smells of home for me too like the first of the spring bedding after monsoon season.   You come from earth right?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2013, 02:19:48 am »

"Yep. Culpepper County, Virginia," * Cyrus answered, somewhat wistfully. The sound of the ship's mechanisms warming up reverberated through the bulkheads.

"You?" he asked the lithe young woman before him.

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2013, 03:05:31 am »

"Nari-shine on the Green Barrow moon. I have been told it is like earth only I don't think you have Liga beasts or Puri-Puri birds but maybe you have something like them. We are both a long way from home. Do you drink? I got some good Tameran rum I won in a bet and a nip won't hurt."  She was liking this so far, no one was a stuffed shirt, or thought she was a savage and no one tried to fight her for dominance 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2013, 03:07:19 am »

"Tameran rum, eh?" Cyrus said, licking his lips. "Don't mind if I do."
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 03:46:13 am »

Tessa pulled out a chipped glass bottle and a pair of tin cups that looked like they had been dragged all over the universe then poured a few fingers of golden liqueur in each cup. "It is not as kicky as the shine my father brews but it has a nice glow after a few." She offered Cyrus a cup then downed and refiled her own. 
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 05:51:39 am »

The stuff wasn't as sweet as the jamaican stuff he'd gotten to love right after the war, when he'd first thrown in a fiftieth share in a planet-hopping packet freighter that was home-berthed in Kingston on the island home of that particular brew, but it had an after-tang that was about twice as nice, and a wholesome body that was as thick and fine as any barley beer from back home. "Ahm, yeah, that'll be the stuff, alright. You could live off this stuff in a pinch." The liquid put a warm glow in his belly as well. "Could a feller get seconds, maybe?" he asked with a wink.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 06:38:42 am »

"Sure. It beats those watered down pints at the pub by the docks doesn't it? That is one of the things I miss most from home. The drinks after the bounty harvests.  Nothing like a bonfire and enough very good beer to swim in."  Tessa relaxed in to the bench smiling as she pored another round.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2013, 05:56:32 am »

Cyrus nursed his secong portion like a spaceman saving his grog ration on an all too short break. "Good brew, good company. We'll have to go find a good homey place to trade shots next leave we get,"

steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2013, 11:32:15 am »

Hunkered over the desktop beside his bunk, Badger savored the the strong fiery copperish liquor in his flask combined with the acrid smoke of the fat cigar he often called his "inspirational addiction" as he sketched out a rough design on a thin piece of paper, using the traced outline of his sidearms original blueprints beneath the thin tracing paper as a basis for the improvements he planned to make to his toys now that he had a decent job. As he worked he talked aloud to himself,  arguing with the paper on occasion. His cultured manner, cold temper and cruel calculating dispositionr, a result of some of the best military schooling the british empire could provide, was constantly at war with his brash, cocky, overly violent and larger than life Texas heritage that he struggled to keep supressed, and the two warring personalitys often found peculiar ways to manifest themselves externally like they did now on the paper before him
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2013, 06:23:00 pm »

Tessa nodded. "I think there is no true-er sign of civliation than a proper pub." She was far more relaxed than she had been with the captian.  Being with people in charge all ways put her on her best behavor. Her ears were quite sharp and heard Badger.  "What do you make of tha Sir?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2013, 10:47:32 pm »

"Sounds like a man in the throes of ...huh." Cyrus listened a bit harder, his ears straining past the sounds of the ship building speed, and the air system sussurrating to itself, filtering out the usual sounds of a ship underway to hear the sounds of a person... "arguin' with himself?"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:47 pm »

"Should we go see what has him riled up?" Tessa was rather unsure if that was the best idea but if Badger had gone around the bend they needed to know sooner rather than latter when he attaced.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: