The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 05:21:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Iron Heavenly Part One: Gathering A Crew  (Read 4479 times)
Andrew Styles
Gunner
United States United States

(Aspiring) Airship Captain for Her Majesty's Army

« on: December 05, 2012, 04:51:02 pm »

The Iron Heavenly drifted lazily through the black, star speckled abyss. None of the crew were awake, save for the captain. It was accompanied by The Red Exuberant, and The Guard of Lamenting, all of which were Spectre class gunships. The vacuum around them was empty for light years, except for the small dusting of asteroids around the ships, some of which would occasionally bump in to the ships, sending them careening off in to space, continuing until thy hit another object, or crashed in to some distant planet.
    Spectre class ships were a cross between the raw power of the brutish, tank like Wolf class ships, and the quiet, stealthy, unprotected Phantom class ships. Spectres were long, about the size of a small skyscraper. The were about forty feet wide, and just a tiny bit smaller in height. The hull was made of steel, and was reinforced with nano particles that reflected most attacks, but were rendered useless rather quickly. The front of the ship was open in three directions, revealing an orange, glowing power core, which, s a last resort,could have a majority of its power could be expelled in one final beam that would instantly destroy almost any ship, or at least render it unable to return to wherever it came from. Unfortunately, doing so would cause the Spectre to lose most of its power, and be so damaged that its passengers would die from lack of life support in ten minutes or less.
    The rest of the ship was relatively smooth, except for the large, circular thrusters jutting out of each side on the back of the ship, shooting out jets of fire and steam. The top of the ship jutted upwards couple stories, and was made completely of reinforced glass. Sitting in the large, swivel chair was Corlon Nethersole, proud captain of the Iron Heavenly, and strategic genius. He had recently received telegrams from the URP station on Saturn. He was instructed to gather a few men for a special forces team, and a girl by the name of Tessa Norton had recently enrolled in the army, and was already known as a phenomenal sharpshooter, gunsmith, and hunter.
   Corlon read through her summery that had been provided to him one more time. "Seems like a keeper. We'll just have to see how the lass fares in out first mission." he said to himself.
    A small, red blinking light told him that his FTL drive was ready. He would have to let his ship cool down and get repairs done before he could leave Saturn's moon, but that would give him time to get acquainted with the new crew member.
    "Get ready for an FTL jump!" Corlon yelled in to the intercom, even though his ship was uninhabited. Cpt. Nethersole pressed the large red button, and held on to his swivel chair as the force of the acceleration made him roll backwards on the brass caster wheels. He yelled in delight as he rocketed toward the steel was before him. The automatic door opened behind him, sending him rolling down the small, cramped hallway filled with steam gauges, energy cells, and brass pipes.
    In a flash, his ship appeared outside of Jupiter, and began flying towards Jupiter's moon, along with many other ships. He had arrived.

"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

Check out my blog! www.musingsoftheteenagemind.wordpress.com
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:01:57 pm »

Tessa paced the floor of the conference hall like an agitated cat.  She liked the military so far but the waiting bothered her.  It did not help that she had the feeling the stuffed shirt first mate on her last two missions was setting her up with something to get back at her for giving him the nickname of Ganymede wharf rat.  Well that was his fault anyway for wearing those garish pants.  Tessa let out an agitated grumble as the ship landings were announced and hoped one of them was the one she was waiting for.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:33:24 pm »

Jupiter. The "runs," or shipping and military transport lanes between planets, tended to converge on the one that counted Jupiter, or Jove as some chose to call it, as its ultimate destination and point of departure. The "Jove Run" was a veritable spacegoing Spanish Main, so big and vast that it defied true mastery by either the forces of the just or the nefarious. Smugglers abounded, as did regulatory ships and their crews, everything from contracted mercenary craft to full-out military battlewagons, and borderline to downright piratical ships that sought to undershoot or ignore the law.

This was the world, or cluster of worlds (Jupiter and her moons, Saturn, and Mars and Earth) that Cyrus Grey, smuggler of the Jove Run, called home ... or had called home until his ship, the Calliope, was gunned from the sky over  Callisto and the remains of her carcass picked clean on the moon's icy surface.

A month marooned on the icy, nearly-airless surface of the least of Jupiter's moons, a rescue by an ore freighter, and a tramp through the spaceport of Jupiter's greatest moon to see the Job Board led Grey, in much-reduced circumstances, behung with his weaponry and scant salvaged belongings (aand looking like a slick-shaved version of the 'merc spaceman' that adorned Space Service posters all over the station), to the conference hall to interview for a tour of duty on a ship called, as the interview slip indicated, the Iron Heavenly. A side visit to a Typist's had gotten him a passable resume, which he held rolled up in his hand as he approached a knot of people amd spok eto the young lady who seemed to be waiting same as himself.

He heard the name "Iron Heavenly!" announced over the loudspeaker, and said to the young lady, "Cyrus Grey, Ma'am, formerly Cap'n, now just Spaceman First Class. Pirates done for m' ship over Callisto. Y' mighta heard o' me, but it's alright if ya en't," Might be fer th' best if this here be a Law dog ship, and her a marshall or worse, he thought grimly to himself."You bound for the Heavenly as well?"

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:39:16 pm by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 09:24:40 pm »

Tessa smiled at last something to do other than wait!  "Tessa Norton sir and yes my first mate recommended me for this mission.  Don't quite know what I am getting in to yet but pleased to have you along."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:47:04 pm »

"Best not to 'Sir' me 'til the Cap'n decides to put me at such a level," Cyrus said, "Til then you an' me're just mates on th' recruitment roll. I was commissioned a maste rand cap'n because of my ownership of my ship. I still have the seniority and such in th' guild, enough to be posted an officer, but servin' on a ship other'n my own means I start on the rung they put me on when they hire me. I'm hopin' to be an officer, but we'll see."
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 11:11:31 pm »

After Corlon landed the ship,  and told the mechanics and automaton's to fix up the hull. She had taken quite a battering from the FTL jump, and could not stand a hit by an vessel. He decided it was better to take it safe.

He took a deep breath, and strolled in to the Conference Hall. The small screen with the arriving ship's names flashed "The Iron Heavenly" above the automatic door. A few people gasped when Corlon entered the room. He was not dressed like most, nor did he act as such. A fine lady was fidgeting slightly, and talking to a man who he assumed was Cyrus Grey. He had received a last minute telegram informing him that a stranded smuggler wished to join his crew. He didn't trust him, and had decided not put too much trust in the man. He would have to earn it.

Tessa, on the other hand, was quite trustworthy from what he had heard. The pair stood at attention when they caught sight of him. "At ease." He said calmly, inspecting them with care. If they found his getup strange, they showed no signs of it. Corlon adjusted his piloting hat before speaking again.

"You must be Tessa and Cyrus." he said, continuing to look them over. "So you want to join the crew of the Iron Heavenly? We'll have to see about. Come. Let's walk back to the ship. She is getting repaired at the moment, so we have a while before she can take off again. We can talk more inside." At this, Corlon spun on his heel, beckoning for the two to follow him. He smiled to himself. They seemed fine enough, and he was happy to have his own crew. Someone to take his orders. He still had superiors, but at least he wasn't on the bottom. Hopefully they would be loyal.

(OOC: As for the appearance, check OOC. Only time I will ever be out of character in this thread! Just deemed it necessary.)

Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 12:13:40 am »

Tessa gave the captan a small bow, a gesture comman among the green folk were it could take years for outsiders years to begin to understand the tribal higharchies.  That was another reason the milatary corted expatrots so vasly.  When made in to solderss they were loyal to the end and rarely questioned orders.  Tessa moved with grace falling in to a defensable postion within the group.  You could polish them up but never fully remove the hunter.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 12:41:22 am »

Grey swung his tackhead banjo, a relic from the period of the Late Unpleasantness on Earth, up to rest on his shoulder, and fell in behind the captain. He was used to the "try before trust" way of doing things; he'd used it often enough himself in the past.  He also  noted the almost predatory grace with which the woman moved; she went up a few pegs on his internal board. Not just an 'attractive ensign' type, he thought.

All the while, he subconsciously eyed and felt the surroundings and crowds with a veteran's steely gaze and a longstanding sixth sense for potential trouble and the attitudes of the people around him. He sensed in the captain the mindset common among FTL commanders, the nerve-wracking uncertainty surrounding FTL jumps that left their indelible mark on the way a commande rmoved and acted. He supposed he bore such telltales himself, the Calliope having been one of the fastest FTL Packets in the Run. The captain's mistrust was also apparent. Well, it's only natural, he thought, If you will lead such a rowdy life and make a name for such, you'd better be prepared to run into people who think less of you for it. Can't blame the fellow, he's got a milit'ry ship to keep in line, Cyrus mused to himself.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:45:09 am by MWBailey » Logged
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

I work for money. You want loyalty get a dog.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 08:06:55 am »

"ah ain't gettin paid near enough get this" badger thought for the third time in the last couple minutes as a large fist connected with his jaw, knocking him back several steps before a wayward table stopped him. The fight had started when Badger told the older man he had been cut off and right from there things went spiraling down hill. Part of the risks of working a bar this close to the docks.

Reaching in the pocket of his long black frock cost, he grabbed  a small handful of bouncer powder from inside and threw it in the mans face. Immediately the drinks bellows of rage turned into cries of pain punctuated by choking and gasping as the powdered glass cut his face up and let the various spices he used into the countless tiny open wounds, worst of all the mixed spices and  glass that got in his eyes mouth and nose. While the man screamed an thrashed and clawed at his face, badger came flying across the room with a sliding side kick that sent the drunk crashing out the window to land at grey and Tessa s feet in a broken pile. Badger hurtled the window, protected by his heavy cost as he grabbed the drunk and lifted him clean off the ground before throwing him back through the unbroken part of the window he'd previously exited with such style.

Turning to the three travelers, he tipped his hat to the woman, "damn she's good lookin" crossed his mind as he asked "you folks okay? Didn't mean teh throw the bugger at yeh"

I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 08:44:50 am »

Tessa half jumped backwards and pointed Lux's bayoneted at the man before them and then turned to Corlon.  "Sir?"  She asked looking to him got guidance,
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 02:19:06 pm »

"Keep your weapons trained." He told Tessa, drawing his energy rifle. "Any reason you two were going at it so hard?" Corlon said, eyeing the bouncer. "And more importantly, do you want a job as a military man?"
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 04:12:35 pm »

Grey had unshouldered the banjo by the strap to hang like a rifle, and whipped out the heavy-bladed cutlass, drawing the .50 caliber revolver with his now-free left hand. The entire weapon draw had taken little more than an eyeblink, and grey was up on his toes and the balls of his feet before it had been completed, ready for any attack from any quarter, even above, which he constantly scanned with one eye, the macular disengagement required to do so acquired as a by product of an old one-eyed campfire guard strategy* that had becdome almost second natuere in his first military line.

steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 11:50:46 pm »

Eyeing the firepower pointed at him, badger felt a chill roll down his spine. "feller took a swing at meh after ah cut'm off. Ah reckon ah can be persuaded tag reenlist if'n the moneys good"
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 12:45:02 am »

"Hmm." Corlon said partially to himself. "Give me all your weapons. Don't worry, I shan't steal them. I'm a man of honor and military oath. Just don't trust ruthless men, but you can gain my trust. We are headed to my ship now to talk to these two, and see if they are fit to join my crew. Tessa, Grey, keep your weapons on him. Just a precaution."
     The entire time Corlon was talking, he kept his face calm and blank. He held out his hands to have Badger's weapons placed in them. He figured Cyrus could be trusted, if he was drawing weapons on the man, but this assumption was yet to be proved.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 02:22:24 am »

"Aye, Cap'n," Grey drawled. the words sounded odd coming from his own mouth. It had been years since the platoon aboard the Rebel ironclad outside Hampton Roads, Virginia. the body attheir feet twitched, and grey spared it a swift glance. "Be still, you, 'less'n you want more trouble," he growled at the supine form, toeing the man's arm with one steeled boot-toe.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 02:33:29 am »

Tessa nodded and watched the new man.  She was more curious than worried because she had reach over him, not as much as if she had her spear but carrying it though the streets was considered rather warlike.  Considering the captain was picking up street people their mission must be dire indeed.  Tessa was not worried if you could not fight when odds where against you what was the use of being a hunter? "Sir I think that guard over there is trying to get your attention."
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 04:50:46 am »

Growling under his breath about the pt having better be worth it, Badger handed over all his guns and blades. "Dinnea worry captain . Yehv noothin ter worry bout. Ah only work get moneyand no ones paying fer yeh"
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 06:00:54 pm »

"Thanks." He said. "Any past military experience?"
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 03:30:02 am »

Smiling at the captain Badger peeled back the sleeve of his short to reveal a CSASOU tattoo that circled his bicep below a stylized arrow that pointed up. "Gunnery Sergeant Badger Ironpaws Confederate states of America Special Operations Unit.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 06:39:06 am »

Cyrus Harrumphed slightly, back in his throat. He'd figured Badger for a fellow Reb, but couldn't place the mannerisms; the Spec Ops bunch were like that, though, so it fit.

The lasttime he'd had dealings with one of them though, the individual had turned out to be a homicidal half-lunatic with absolutely no conscience, and had decimated Grey's crew trying to get control of the Calliope so that he could use her to ram a Federated gunship and steal a cargo of medical supplies that he wanted for some unspecified reason ... so Grey kept his weapons pointing at this man, waiting for Nethersole to make up his mind whether to slab him or hire him...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:42:14 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 05:07:10 am »

"Come with me. I guess since you were in the military, my superiors won't flog me if you coma aboard. No guarantees that you will be hired, however. I have background checks on these two, but I'll take a risk with you." At this, Corlon began to stroll down the hallway. His crew was beginning to come together.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 12:05:53 am »

Backgound check. I wonder if he knows about that Governmenbt cargo I was hauling over Callisto, and that I destroyed it instead of letting th ebunch on the Phantasm get ahold of it. Only time'll tell, I guess. He was somewhat proud (oddly enough) that his final cargo as a master and commander had been a legitimate, government delivery job, instead of the usual, dodgy, somewhat-less-than-legal stuff he'd spent much of his former career on.

He sheathed the cutlass as he and Tessa followed Nethersole and their new companion, but kept the revolver out and ready in case Badger decided to not be trustworthy. You could never tell with the SO boys, in his experience ...

The guard looked at Nethersole, apparently recognizing him, and deciding to let the party of spacefarers pass. He gave Cyrus a wary look; Cyrus recognized the fellow from previous dockings in this port, but could't figure out why specifically he looked as if Cyrus had flipped him off. Maybe it's the drawn weapon, Cy, ya think? He thought sarcastically to himself as the guard bent down and roughly helped the man on the ground to his feet.
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 02:51:06 am »

Tessa smiled at the guard she knew him from the pub near the base.  Nice enough but he couldn't hold his liqueur.  She rather hoped he did not remember trying to kiss her and his subsequent decking.  Ah she hoped that there would be other pubs as good as one,
steamcowboy92
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 09:34:21 pm »

Collecting his effects before Following the others, Badger whistled as he twirled his cane like a drum major's baton. This would hopefully prove to be a more profitable than babysitting drunks. As he watched the way the girl moved, slinking side to side like a feral cat on the prowl, he let a smile cross his lips "this should prove an interesting venture indeed" he mused. His eyes scanned the street as they walked, always on the look out for chicken hawks.
Andrew Styles
Gunner

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 07:53:42 pm »

After the group had entered the cockpit, Corlon sat down in his swivel chair that he had had so much fun with earlier. He took off his hat, and turned a few dials on the main contoll board idly. He pushed a button, and three chairs popped out o the wall by the door. Cpt. Nethersole gestured for them to sit fown. He rolled himself closer to them, waiting for all to be seated.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: