The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 05:18:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All we want for Christmas....  (Read 4778 times)
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« on: December 02, 2012, 11:20:47 pm »

Right, imagine that money is no object, and delivery times are negligible. What would be the one thing your fevered imagination could come up with that you would want to receive this Festive Season.

Personally, a fully functioning Steampunk house would be on the top of my list.

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
lientie
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

bethanlientie
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:42:52 pm »

Spaceship.

Confabulation!
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:07:47 am »

A boat I think. Probably steampunk.  I have sketched a design for a yacht, similar to a Freedom 70 crossed with the Lord of the Rings ghost ship with 3 unstayed masts, but in wood, copper and brass (oh and a little carbon fibre - it wouldn't be punk otherwise would it?)

Or, a narrow boat for use on the English canals. Again, I've been working on a sketch of an original layout based on an icebreaker hull.

Yacht ~ £1M, narrowboat ~ £70K - both beyond my reach, but if you want to dream, dream big!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:24:41 am »

Something along these lines?:

I even know the yard where I would have it built. 

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:33:27 am »

yes, but with modern free standing triangular sails not lateens, a flatter poop deck - this contains the crew cockpit and sun bathing deck. The bridge is just in front of the aft mast, abaft the coach house. Forward deck between forward mast and main mast is clear deck for the tender.

Diesel electric drive, using diesel waste heat for hot water and heating. Electric propulsion motors using Voith Schneider screws. The whole thing would be an experiment!

Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 01:00:38 am »

And let's not forget somewhere for the lovelies to sit while they drink champagne in the all-together!!!
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:26:54 am »

If I won the lottery three times over? I'd be looking at a Steampunk submarine, complete with tastefully-finished dining room, proper tea room with a surfeit of portholes, and staterooms (and crew) to match. I actually have a scaled-down design I've been planning out, of a wooden "submarine" (about 40 feet long at most, I think, since we'd need to be able to pull it in a trailer with our truck, and also trailer it legally along the highway (and under the power lines!) which is actually a boat that merely looks like a submarine*. The upper third of it, aft of the conning tower, would be glass panes (that could open, at least along the top edge, or the thing would get unbearably stuffy pretty quickly!) so you could have a nice sunny spot to have one's tea.

More realistically? Well, a really decent-sized gift certificate to the local fabric store would be pretty awesome, or an appropriately-voluminous PayPal account, for the sole purpose of picking up beautiful Steamy objects online that I otherwise could not afford or could not justify. You know. Things like five hundred dollar hip flasks and three hundred dollar watches, things like that.

Mind you, if I could have aaaaanything, a steam-powered, Hindenberg-sized airship complete with crew and outfitted for long-term living would be pretty sweet. Also sweet would be to have one of those Steampunk private clubs in every town I live in, like the one they had in that one episode of "Castle." That would be pretty sweet too. Grin

* And then I wouldn't need to worry about making it air tight or buoyancy or ballast or air supply or any of those niggling details. Also, it would look rather like a large Steampunk fish.

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Kapitän of the airborne assault carrier "Hermann"

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 02:57:22 am »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:30:09 pm by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz » Logged
Andrew Styles
Gunner

(Aspiring) Airship Captain for Her Majesty's Army

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 05:45:41 am »

The Sabertooth from The Stars Await ( a roleplay in tje portrayal part of this forum), and a pair of metal, clockw rk wings perminately grafted to my back.  Grin

"If you must mount the gallows, give a jest to the crowd, a coin to the hangman, and make the drop with a smile on your lips" - Birgitte Silverbow

Check out my blog! www.musingsoftheteenagemind.wordpress.com
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 04:09:34 pm »

How's about everlasting World peace, ending of poverty, abolish all oppressive regimes Oh and two cheezeburgers!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 04:20:13 pm »

A Duesenberg...and I DON'T EVEN DRIVE! But I'd learn if I had one of these to drive about in afterwards and I don't even care which model.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=10&hl=en&safe=active&tbo=d&site=imghp&tbm=isch&spell=1&q=duesenberg&sa=X&ei=U8O8UJCLE4-q0AW6kIGADw&ved=0CFEQvwUoAA&biw=1024&bih=587

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
M.c.r. Beusen
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:43:24 pm »

A private library with a collection of pre-1900 occult and scientific books....

Preferably with carved oak bookcases as walls, cast iron spiraling staircases, oak reading tables...... (to be continued ad infinitum)

No, I am not demandig.... Grin

Yours faithfully,

M.c.r. Beusen

Art is what you make of it,
as long as you do it with style.
gavinfuzzy
Gunner
Singapore Singapore

~Till All Are gOne~

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 04:52:25 pm »

The Lego Monster Fighters Castle.
Ever since someone here mentioned how the theme was very steampunkish, I could not stop taking my eyes of it.

So yes, this.

Also, Lego just released a image of 1 of the figures from the series 9 blindbags.

Holy crap that is just awesome.
Ulysses Reynolds
Zeppelin Captain

Just keep on flying.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 04:55:36 pm »

An underground house with a set of tunnels connecting me to various people's houses. Ah the fun I could have in the middle of the night, when I am awake and bored. Smiley

There is a reason for this. And trust me, when a bunch of harry potter geeks think your fucking retarded, you know there is something wrong.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 06:05:46 pm »

How's about everlasting World peace, ending of poverty, abolish all oppressive regimes Oh and two cheezeburgers!

TWO cheezeburgers!!!

Some people - harrumph!

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 06:12:16 pm »

private library with a collection of pre-1900 occult and scientific books....

Preferably with carved oak bookcases as walls, cast iron spiraling staircases, oak reading tables......

Sounds like where I work!..Ok we had the cast iron spiral  starcase taken out 2 refurbishments ago but the rest ..dark stained wooden book cases, leather topped reading tables, pre 1900 occult and science books (not to mention manuscripts and early printed books on those subjects dating back several centuries) yup...sounds just like work.
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 06:26:29 pm »

Simple: A Morgan three wheeler crossed with a Dr Moller Skycar, in racing green.

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 06:43:59 pm »

TWO cheezeburgers!!!

Some people - harrumph!

I'm not being greedy, that's one for me and the other is for my overlord Basement cat!!

(ALL must obey our kitteh overlords and masters!!!)
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:17 pm »

All I want for Christmas is my two front gear teeth. Grin

Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 07:19:45 pm »

The Ultimate in Torsion technology.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 01:16:07 am »

A Victorian house with a big kitchen, a library with a ceiling high enough to need a rolling ladder and a workshop.  Two workshops, one for sewing and one for other projects so the fabric and glue/etching medium/sawdust don't interact.  And a budget to slowly steampunk it.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 01:59:00 am »

The crown from my second left lower molar... Wink

(try putting that in the respective ancient song!)

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Sethodine
Deck Hand

Not An Airship Captian

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 04:48:00 am »

A dual-rotor, gyrocopter, ironclad.

That is, like an ironclad river boat, that flies through the air. It gains lift from two gyroplane rotors, one on each side, and thrust from a single pusher engine in the back. All guns are only on the port side of the craft, because it attacks by strafing targets like a C-130 Specter Gunship.

Ironclads and Gyrocopters are my passion. Someday, I hope to blend the two.
ktara
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 04:57:46 am »

A steampunk cottage Smiley  I already have a 1936 Singer sewing machine that would fit right in Smiley 

VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 05:21:04 am »

I asked for Peace on Earth once... and I got a picture of Earth with dried Peas glued to it. Now I know better.

Aside from a fully stocked workshop, and a house to decorated the rooms of as I please, I wouldn't say no to a Sonic Screwdriver.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: