The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 08:51:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The eternal breakfast quandry.  (Read 3937 times)
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2012, 06:01:45 pm »

No, if the toast is jammed you don't need butter, you need a knife - usually one with an electrically conductive handle...

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2012, 11:01:23 pm »

I have spent a sizeable chunk of my day today seriously considering what constitutes a breakfast, a hot breakfast, a full scottish breakfast, a substantial meal, a plated breakfast.......

I sit on the Licensing Board of our local council and one of the local rules is that a pub cannot sell alcohol before 11am unless it is as an ancilliary drink to accompany a hot breakfast. The policy doesnt specify what constitutes an acceptable breakfast but the common practice seems to have become a hot bread roll with fried bacon, egg or square sausag in it. But it is endlessly argued about because some pubs with the early licence try to avoid it and, naturally, not all their morning drinkers necessarily want a hot roll.

Some on the Board think we should specify it in more detail but I am baffled as to how to legalistically define breakfast!

Ironically, I myself almost never eat that sort of thing at breakfast time, EXCEPT on the days when the License Board is sitting - because a breakfast of exactly this sort is provided for us when we arrive for the pre-board briefing!

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2012, 11:48:22 pm »

Surely it is quite straightforward, is it not? The drink can only be served as an adjunct to a hot meal, in this case breakfast. If the customer does not want to buy a hot meal, then they cannot reasonably be expected to be served alcohol. The descent into semantics over a definition of what constitutes breakfast as a hot meat should never be tolerated by licensing committees. In fact, I would question that a hot sandwich is a 'meal'. I am sure you will be thinking 'it's not that simple' but my challenge would be 'why isn't it?'

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2012, 06:35:09 am »

I am sure you will be thinking 'it's not that simple' but my challenge would be 'why isn't it?'

One word; Bureaucracy.

Athanor.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2012, 07:05:06 pm »

I am sure you will be thinking 'it's not that simple' but my challenge would be 'why isn't it?'

One word; Bureaucracy.

Athanor.

Athanor is right. I dare say whoever drafted the current policy rules thought they had it sorted plainly enough, but what is happening is that the custom and practice across the city has become that the customer is sold a hot roll with his first alcoholic drink but not with any subsequent ones, in the period 8-11 am. In some pubs where they know the punters arent interested in food, they have precooked hot rolls that sit on the bar all day, day after day, not getting eaten but pretending they are about to be. Indeed there is nothing to stop a customer buying the one hot roll accompanied by as many drinks for himself as he wishes. It is proving impossible to pin this down as things stand.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2012, 09:15:17 pm »

I think you therefore have the real 'eternal breakfast quandry'! I thought Glasgow had it's old reputation well and truly dead and buried? I speak as someone from the infamous Colchester Essex where we are getting a real problem with alcohol abuse as I am sure many have seen on TV. I am not proud and angry that the powers that be don't use the law available to them, in that it is an offence to serve people who are already drunk with yet more alcohol. Local publicans are also against the liberal application of law but it is the big chain names that seem to rule the roost. I long for the time when one or more of them are refused licenses and the respective chain pub has to close... At the moment the town centre has become a no-go area after dark for respectable citizens, it must be awful to think that this could happen during daytime if 'breakfast' drinking is taken to the same extreme.

Rant over - sorry if it touches on political, my Victorian sensibilities rising!  Wink
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2012, 11:58:29 am »

'Frankenstein's' in Edinburgh used to do a 'full Scottish' breakfast (eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, fried tomatos, beans, black pudding, tatty scones and haggis) tea or coffee and served with either a pint of Guinness or a Red Bull (with or without a shot of vodka) as part of the deal.

Now THAT'S a breakfast! You could feel your arteries harden as they placed it in front of you.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2012, 05:03:51 pm »

Never saw the point in this soft-artery nonsense.

Every engineer knows you get more efficient flow through a steel water-pipe than a floppy garden-hose....
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2012, 12:14:14 am »

Marmite to me tastes like the burn on the side of a casserole dish. That always was my favorite part of a casserole. I like Marmite with honey added.

One should choose one's sacrilege carefully and enjoy it with gusto!

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2012, 01:25:24 pm »

Marmite to me tastes like the burn on the side of a casserole dish. That always was my favorite part of a casserole. I like Marmite with honey added.

One should choose one's sacrilege carefully and enjoy it with gusto!

"Aaaah! 'Gusto' "..the gravy mix that causes flatulence...
Das
Deck Hand

eine und vielen

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2012, 04:50:46 pm »

buttered and sometimes jammed

Shocked Where do you jam it? And is that why you need the butter?

I could elaborate, but it just might burn your biscuits and I wouldn't want to start that toaster fire.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2012, 05:11:55 pm »

Never have eaten breakfast. Im a get up at 5.30am, drink as much coffee as I can and go to work.

Around 6.15am I feel somewhat peckish but quite often dont eat all day till 5.30pm, 6pm ish when I get home.

Just dont eat alot I suppose. but when I do, gads! do I eat.

~SeVeN~

George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2012, 06:53:20 pm »

'Gentleman's Relish' is also a slang term for...well, good taste prevents me from disclosing what Gentlemen's Relish is slang for but I should image it's about as revolting on toast as achovy paste would be.

Have you seen the film of that name?  featuring Billy Connolly.  It's not bad, and a bit of an insight into a Victoriam photographic studio. It would appear to be available on youtube.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2012, 11:33:46 pm »

We hold a special place in artery-hardening here in the south...in the land of haram (we use every part of the pig but the squeal), it's pork sausage patties, grits (the mush; sort of a loose-grained corn...it's hard to describe. Usually made with obscene amounts of butter), and biscuits. Remember the 4 southern food groups; salt, sugar, flour, and lard...Wink
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2012, 01:05:45 am »

We hold a special place in artery-hardening here in the south...in the land of haram (we use every part of the pig but the squeal), it's pork sausage patties, grits (the mush; sort of a loose-grained corn...it's hard to describe. Usually made with obscene amounts of butter), and biscuits. Remember the 4 southern food groups; salt, sugar, flour, and lard...Wink

Everything is better with copious amounts of lard.

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2012, 11:55:05 am »

grits, the mush; sort of a loose-grained corn...it's hard to describe.

It's pretty hard to digest as well! When I was in New Orleans back in the 90s grits came with breakfast everyday. And everyday they were left at the side of the plate. Really quite unpleasant...
hasher
Zeppelin Captain

Exploring Officer

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2012, 02:41:35 am »

I like to think of grits as buttered kitty litter.

However there are times when you must gag them down ie at breakfast with an important client in the South. Load them up with cheese, sugar, syrup, whatever is at hand and they are not too bad.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.

Hope you got your things together

Hope you're quite prepared to die

Looks like we're in for nasty weather

One eye is taken for an eye
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2012, 03:19:03 am »

grits, the mush; sort of a loose-grained corn...it's hard to describe.

It's pretty hard to digest as well! When I was in New Orleans back in the 90s grits came with breakfast everyday. And everyday they were left at the side of the plate. Really quite unpleasant...
I like to think of grits as buttered kitty litter.

However there are times when you must gag them down ie at breakfast with an important client in the South. Load them up with cheese, sugar, syrup, whatever is at hand and they are not too bad.

That's because the "South" isn't "south enough"  Wink  Things get a tad better around San Antonio and thereabouts:

I've shown this one before; scrambled eggs with (fresh) Chorizo pork sausage.
http://whatscookingmexico.com/2008/04/13/chorizo-and-eggs/

Rajas (julienned Chiles) con Crema (Crème fraîche):  This is a breakfast dish, but in the video get's turned into dinner by using it as a sauce for grilled chicken
Rick Bayless: Building Blocks of the Mexican Kitchen

Another breakfast dish, Chilaquiles (Maize tortilla trips layered in a tomato-sausage sauce and curd cheese, either prepared as shown or baked in the oven as well, as a type of Mexican "Lasagna" as it were)
Chilaquiles: Classic Mexican Breakfast

Pozole - more breakfast (Maize Hominy -in this case with pork turned into a big party dish-not necessarily breakfast).  Beats Grits any day of the week
Making Pozole

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:08:02 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2012, 04:51:26 am »

Beating out grits is no great task, but alas, doesn't make them taste any better...Wink
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2012, 04:57:21 am »

But is there any particular breakfast dish that SCREAMS steampunk?
hasher
Zeppelin Captain

Exploring Officer

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2012, 05:00:50 am »

Scottish Egg with a side of Krakken Bacon?

And a Guiness.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2012, 05:48:37 am »

Scottish Egg with a side of Krakken Bacon?

And a Guiness.

Problem is Scotch Eggs- I associate as an appetizer or picnic fare.  As to the Kraken bacon - depends if you can catch a fat one. They tend to be quite muscular, you know?  Very lean...

Beer for breakfast
http://www.chow.com/food-news/49816/beer-for-breakfast/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:51:26 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 09:35:18 am »

Beer for breakfast - yes - but 5% ABV to avoid getting tipsy?

Steampunk breakfast? Well if you will accept an admittedly oversimplified suggestion that the essence of SP is Victorian style with modern sensibilities and not putting small children up chimneys or poor people in the workhouse, then I suggest breakfast would be a meal with a number of different entrées, served with tea, coffee or and beer.

Suggested entrées could be ~

Deviled kidneys
Scrambled eggs with or without smoked salmon or crispy bacon
Sausages
Porridge
Pancakes
Kedgeree
Grilled tomatoes
Toast, croissants and other locally traditional pastries accompanied by various jams, marmalades, honey and other confitures as desired.

The modern sensibilities would be that servings would be modest, the experience being the objective - ie decadent without the calories!
Ideally, the various hot dishes would be laid out on heated dishes on a great big dresser so that the various diners (and there should be a goodly number - sufficient for polite conversation) can help themselves as they might once have done in the great country houses of the C19th when probably only the butler attended the table, ensuring dishes were replenished as required. The informality of the meal would have meant table waiters and waitresses were undesirable witnesses!

Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2012, 11:36:19 am »

The modern sensibilities would be that servings would be modest, the experience being the objective - ie decadent without the calories!
Ideally, the various hot dishes would be laid out on heated dishes on a great big dresser so that the various diners (and there should be a goodly number - sufficient for polite conversation) can help themselves as they might once have done in the great country houses of the C19th when probably only the butler attended the table, ensuring dishes were replenished as required. The informality of the meal would have meant table waiters and waitresses were undesirable witnesses!

What a nice image.

Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2012, 11:56:26 pm »

I second the chilaquiles and pozole. The latter is a much better use for hominy. There are actually places I've been where the Southern-style grits are good, but not enough to make a real difference. In this matter, I must side with the culinary approaches of Mexico and several native nations here in El Norte who serve some similar dishes.
And let's not forget proper tea and/or coffee as part of a good breakfast. If the bottom of the mug is visible through the coffee when it's full, it isn't right. There are still places in the US which commit this crime against breakfast, and it must cease.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: