The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 13, 2017, 12:14:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The eternal breakfast quandry.  (Read 4020 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 06:45:02 pm »

I'm intrigued by people spreading Bovril on toast. I've always considered Bovril to be a drink.

Bovril sandwiches aren't to bad either.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 11:49:26 pm »

This may be a good place to mention, for extra steam/Victorian goodness, that the name "Bovril" is said to have been formed by combining "bovine" and "Vril." The latter being the mysterious vital force from Bulwer-Lytton's Vril: the Power of the Coming Race. So you can think about one of Britain's wordiest occult-fiction writers while you eat your breakfast.
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 12:38:14 am »

I'm with Octavius, we Oztralains know Vegemite is the only real spread. And you can grease your gear axles with it. And waterproof your canvas safari tent.
Not only that, but if your spread it in your hair prior to an outing in the forests, it keeps away the ferocious drop bears, and keeps your brains intact.

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
Angelica Needle
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Navigator & Mechanic: RD Susurrus

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 12:18:11 pm »

I'm intrigued by people spreading Bovril on toast. I've always considered Bovril to be a drink.

We rarely had Bovril as a drink, but on toast was a great Sunday evening tea. Or Bovvy-biccies (Bovril on buttered crackers) made an alternative to cheese & crackers as a bit of supper.
Marmite, on the other hand, was never entertained in our house. (Goddammit, it's vegetarian!)

I recently finished a jar of Bovril and noticed that the best-before date was 1998. I think I went off it for a while, and I use very little when I do use it, so the jar just got put in the cupboard at each new house... still tasted as good as the new jar I bought. Rob tells me off for keeping things beyond their date, but I think that one must be a record. Cheesy

Kryss - it's the same stuff: Bovril can be used to brown meat and makes quite a nice gravy too. Smiley

Hmmmm.... Bovril on toast *hungry*....
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:45:13 pm by Angelica Needle » Logged

The sound of the gentle rattle of china cup on china saucer drives away all demons, a little-known fact.
Terry Pratchett, Snuff
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 03:59:28 pm »

We rarely had Bovril as a drink, but on toast was a great Sunday evening tea. Or Bovvy-biccies (Bovril on buttered crackers) made an alternative to cheese & crackers as a bit of supper.

I find that Bovril is even better on butter covered Digestives.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:08:36 pm by Mercury Wells » Logged
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 04:06:12 pm »

The "banjo" - a slice of toast, one or more fried eggs, a large quantity of crisp-edged fried bacon, sauce - tomato, bbq, or hp - and another slice of toast on top.

Or, if using more than one hand - all of the above arrayed on a plate, plus baked beans, and sausages. Followed by more toast with butter and marmalade - orange, lime or lemon.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 07:45:04 pm »

My own creation:  "Eggs Flamingo"

Basically Eggs Benedict with poached egg, ham steak or Canadian bacon and Russian dressing (preferably made with hot sauce and mayonnaise)  all on English muffin or a thick slice of bread.  Simple, fast and delicious.  Oddly enough this recipe has a "work day/on-the-go" variant.  Instead of poaching the egg, you can even microwave it on top of the bread in *one* minute (egg alone) or two minutes with ham!! The egg cooks much faster than the bread, that is why it works.

DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »

I've had bad experiences with eggs and microwaves. There's meant to be all sorts of tricks to stop them from exploding, but it seems more like blind luck to me. I poached two eggs in the microwave the other night, one of them exploded and the other didn't. Exact same length of time, same method, everything. One went bang and the other cooked pretty well perfectly.

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »

You have to prick the yolk.
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 08:51:03 pm »

I tried that, the microwave got flooded.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 08:55:11 pm »

Using a deep mug helps aswell.

(I've had the eggsploding poached egg scenario too  Shocked )
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 09:01:04 pm »

I just stick with the clingfilm in the pan trick. It takes a little longer but I've never had one blow up on me.

http://www.b3ta.com/features/howtopoachanegg/ interesting reading, the site in general is not worksafe, and the language in the article MAY be strong (it's been a while since I actually read it), but interesting and entertaining nonetheless. Incidentally if you find the "internet fatty toasted sandwiches" (under the feature archive) on there, it's funny but a little disgusting. It's not too bad, just toasting sweets in a breville toaster.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 11:03:04 pm »

Gentlemen:

The slice of bread seems to improve the odds of the egg not exploding.  I not entirely sure why, but in any event the correct procedure is to never try that in an open container or a simple plate.  Use a microwaveable closed container such as Corningware.  A covered container also keeps the bread from drying.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 11:34:38 pm »

This may be a good place to mention, for extra steam/Victorian goodness, that the name "Bovril" is said to have been formed by combining "bovine" and "Vril." The latter being the mysterious vital force from Bulwer-Lytton's Vril: the Power of the Coming Race. So you can think about one of Britain's wordiest occult-fiction writers while you eat your breakfast.

That is most interesting, sir.

Is Bovril the same thing as the Beef Tea they used to serve every morning on ocean liners?

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 12:22:45 am »

Borvil or Marmite ... hmmm.  Sounds a wee bit like a form of 16th century torture.  If you'all say it's good, then swell  Undecided
I seem to recall "Gentlemans Relish" as a slang term for something a gentleman or especially a lady would prefer to avoid eating, as the good Captain previously pointed out. 

For an olde fashioned breakfast to give you the energy to face the day may I suggest:
Steel cut oats porridge with honey, berries and cream (grits are excellent as well) - some crispy bacon, or smoked fishes on a bagel or toast and strong bracing coffee (like REALLY strong) or a nice cuppa Earl Grey.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:27:33 am by Birdnest » Logged

Onward ho!
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2012, 01:15:29 am »

I love marmite and gentlemens relish but not for breakfast.

I rarely have more than strong tea for actual breakfast nowadays but in my youth, when I was a deck apprentice in BP Tankers and working long hours at manual labour I could eat 5 square meals and took what amounted to a full english followed by a full american breakfast.

I often have breakfasty type foods for last-thing-at-night type supper - a bowl of cereal or marmalade on toast are both delightful whilst watching a dvd before bed.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2012, 01:22:57 am »

J. Wilhelm, there's a reason I don't put bread in the microwave, and the reason is science!

DU Cooking Hour Episode 1: Microwave Toast
A video Lientie I made for another forum. Skip to 2:30 for the finished "toast"

And yes, I did read what you said, but I'm posting this video for funnies.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:24:46 am by DreamHazard » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2012, 04:32:52 am »

J. Wilhelm, there's a reason I don't put bread in the microwave, and the reason is science!

DU Cooking Hour Episode 1: Microwave Toast A video Lientie I made for another forum. Skip to 2:30 for the finished "toast"

And yes, I did read what you said, but I'm posting this video for funnies.

Mr. Hazard:
Indeed, I have done that experiment before, but 90% of the cooking period (single slice of bread, one minute) the bread is dissicated, before heating well enough to brown and even burn.

The experiment above fails to turn the toast mid-way (turn every 30 seconds) to avoid the "soggy bottom"  Tongue

After trial and error, I found that if you don't allow it to burn and use a low setting (I'm not sure your microwave has a power setting), the end product looks much like what we call "Melba Toast" in America. Perfectly dry toast (keep your fire extinguisher handy if you're like my room-mate who likes to leave things cooking on the stove while he goes to his room to do something else - I swear he's going to burn the house down one day)...  I'm not sure I like that either in burned variety or unburnt variety -its far too dry for my taste either way.  It does get a tad better if after drying and toasting the bread, you smear all of it with butter.

The trick to the "quickie eggs benedict" is to keep moisture from evaporating.  The egg accomplishes that task because the egg white covers the entire slice of bread.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:56:50 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 06:17:30 am »

Seems like a lot of work to do something that a toaster oven will do easily.

But I'm probably biased. I've never owned a microwave and never really saw the point of them. You never hear anyone saw "oh the microwave cooks this so much better than an oven." You hear a lot of complaints and a lot of work arounds.

DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 06:58:07 am »

Well the whole point of the video is that the forum is based around gaming and 99.9% (literally) of its users are male. I wanted to make a humorous video series showing how these basement dwellers could easily cook things instead of ordering food in.

The other video (I kinda gave up on them after two) shows a confection made by melting marshmallows... with a hot air gun. That one was a massive success, it toasts marshmallows absolutely perfectly, just caramelising the outside without burning it, and turning the inside to goo. You must bear in mind that these are entertainment for a different community.

Off camera I also attempted to use the heat gun to brown the cheese on a slice of toast, but it just turned it to grease and pushed it around the surface a bit. I think a blowtorch would do a far better job.

As to the microwave, I can't remember living without one. I rarely use it but it's there if I need it. For example, I could spend half an hour steaming a haggis, then slicing bits off and refrigerating the rest, but I take the slices from the raw sausage and put them in the microwave for a minute and that's it cooked. I wouldn't use it as a main cooking source though. There's ready meals, some of which can be pretty good in a hurry, an entire meal in five minutes and not tasting half bad, though it takes a little experience to tell which ones are going to be edible without the inevitable spit-take. I could take it or leave it, really. It's a convenience that I didn't pay for, I use it because it's there, but I wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

I actually have a toaster and an oven, I could do toast in either (the oven has a grill(broiler in the US/Canada, I believe)), but that wouldn't be in the spirit of science Cheesy
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 07:23:46 am »

About the only thing I use the microwave for, other than reheating previously prepared meals which is a whole other story, is what I call a sardine nuclear meltdown.

Toast two slices of whatever kind of bread you prefer, smother in butter, then add sardines (split to remove the backbones if you prefer), slices of tomato, thin slices of onion, finally slices of sharp cheddar cheese. Microwave for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts nicely.

Season to taste with Lea and Perrins, HP, Salsa Picante, or if you're really brave, Busha Browne's Pukka Jamaican Hot Sauce. Makes an excellent lunch snack or, I suppose, breakfast.

Can be done in a toaster oven or under a broiler (grill), but then it's just a Sardine Meltdown, not a Nuclear Meltdown. I suppose you could use canned salmon or tuna in place of sardines.

Athanor.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 07:40:03 am »

Seems like a lot of work to do something that a toaster oven will do easily.

But I'm probably biased. I've never owned a microwave and never really saw the point of them. You never hear anyone saw "oh the microwave cooks this so much better than an oven." You hear a lot of complaints and a lot of work arounds.

Don't tell me you are one of those people who think that microwave prepared food will make you sick.  I had a landlady who thought she could get mercury poisoning just from fluorescent light itself...

About the only thing I use the microwave for, other than reheating previously prepared meals which is a whole other story, is what I call a sardine nuclear meltdown.

Toast two slices of whatever kind of bread you prefer, smother in butter, then add sardines (split to remove the backbones if you prefer), slices of tomato, thin slices of onion, finally slices of sharp cheddar cheese. Microwave for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts nicely.

Season to taste with Lea and Perrins, HP, Salsa Picante, or if you're really brave, Busha Browne's Pukka Jamaican Hot Sauce. Makes an excellent lunch snack or, I suppose, breakfast.

Can be done in a toaster oven or under a broiler (grill), but then it's just a Sardine Meltdown, not a Nuclear Meltdown. I suppose you could use canned salmon or tuna in place of sardines.

Athanor.

That's because Mr. Athanor and myself were actually alive in the 1970's when the magic of the microwave was brought to out polyethylene-tacky households.  I have entire microwave cookbooks dating to the 1970's  Grin And actually my grandmother was rather skilled in using it to prepare meals along with the traditional kitchen oven.  Most people would not believe what she could cook combining traditional methods and the newfangled contraption.  But universally no one outside of my family (or in any other quarter for that matter) ever really knew all that a microwave could really do.

I think it's one of those things where you have to adapt the types of foods that you prepare to the cooking method.  I mean, you can't boil a pizza, right?  The food form is the result from the cooking method -think about all those French chefs using freeze drying techniques and liquid nitrogen and such to create what I like to call "sci-fi" food.  Honestly I don't think I will ever like some "bacon flavoured foam" for breakfast.  The microwave oven poses similar challenges.  What you make in it is entirely different by nature to traditional foods, so the public never understood or took to the technology because they couldn't adapt.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 07:52:34 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:52 am »

Dont tell me you are one of those people who think that microwave prepared food will make you sick?  I has a landlady who thought she could get mercury poisoning just from the from fluorescent light itself...

Not at all. I just never saw the advantage to having one. Just because its possible to cook food with one what is the point in buying one, finding a place to put it and learning how to use it if it doesn't do anything that you can't already do with something you already have?

Same goes for a dishwasher. If you have to wash the dishes by hand first anyway then what's the point?

That's because Mr. Athanor and myself were actually alive in the 1970's when the magic of the microwave was brought to out polyethylene-tacky households.

Technically so was I but I see your point.

Das
Deck Hand

eine und vielen

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 04:42:13 pm »

Sorry, but there is a category called "breakfast foods"; it is a very broad category (oh, those Hunt Breakfasts in Williamsburg!), but it does not include fish products.

Erm.... kippers?

Also in hotels in Scandinavian countries, breakfast is usually buffet style, and often includes "sursild" (pickled herring). At least, it was when I was there, many years ago.....

Athanor

Since it hadn't been said yet or at least I haven't looked closely enough to see it; anyway I must say it.

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"~Ace Rimmer

Although, I must say I have never actually had fish for breakfast. If I have a chance to eat breakfast, it usually revolves around food types such as bacon, eggs and toast, buttered and sometimes jammed.

Das
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 05:21:48 pm »

buttered and sometimes jammed

Shocked Where do you jam it? And is that why you need the butter?

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: