The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 01:55:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The eternal breakfast quandry.  (Read 4032 times)
Maeg
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

« on: December 02, 2012, 09:19:20 pm »

Marmite, Bovril or Gentlemans Relish?  Undecided

I'm torn between the latter personally.

M.
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 10:30:45 pm »

Never thought of any of them in terms of breakfast, really.....

When I was very much younger (60ish years ago) I was somewhat of a Bovril addict, but my mother kept trying to fob me off with Marmite; maybe it was cheaper, I don't know, but I could always tell the difference. "It's the same", she kept trying to tell me, which was a flat-out lie, of course, but I knew better.

But for breakfast? No way.....

Athanor.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:18:20 am »

"Gentleman's Relish is a type of anchovy paste."

Sorry, but there is a category called "breakfast foods"; it is a very broad category (oh, those Hunt Breakfasts in Williamsburg!), but it does not include fish products.

As far as Bovril vs. Marmite... de gustibus non disputandam est.  Either one will waterproof Wellies equally well.

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:36:28 am »

Having tried Gentleman's Relish I can say that I wouldn't eat it at any time, much less breakfast. I can admit to having had Marmite on toast for breakfast and survived.

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:50:47 am »

Gentleman's relish? Sounds like a race horse...Wink That being said, breakfast in this part of the sticks is usually (not me personally), fried, mush, or toasted...Wink
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:59:09 am »

Sorry, but there is a category called "breakfast foods"; it is a very broad category (oh, those Hunt Breakfasts in Williamsburg!), but it does not include fish products.

Erm.... kippers?

Also in hotels in Scandinavian countries, breakfast is usually buffet style, and often includes "sursild" (pickled herring). At least, it was when I was there, many years ago.....

Athanor
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:00:14 am »

I would say Gentleman's Relish just for having the most Victorian sounding name.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:02:57 am »

I recently found that a local store sells smoked mackerel, which certainly makes a good breakfast. We had that most mornings when I was a kid, if we were visiting the Norwegian side of the family. Fish is an excellent part of breakfast. Fishpaste, on the other hand, is probably a bad idea at any time.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:05:35 am by Mr. Boltneck » Logged
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 01:08:55 am »

I've only had Marmite of the three (Bovril here being the brand name of a type of liquid seasoning used for browning meat, I believe; I've never heard of Gentleman's Relish; it sounds like a pickled vegetable compote in a jar with a special moustache strainer, lol), but I would heartily endorse Marmite with breakfast. On toast. It's delicious.

Only a thin scraping across the buttered toast, though, mind; far too strong otherwise. Add a nice coddled egg, some lime marmalade, and some good strong tea with nice fresh cream, and we're set!

"Be clean and courteous; raise your hat, And wipe your boots upon the mat: Such proofs of gentlemanly feeling Are to the ladies most appealing." The Professor's Manuscript - Dorothy L. Sayers
Tito Alba
Snr. Officer

Electrospagyrist, Ethnophysiatrist & Anarchodandy

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 02:01:06 am »

Erm.... kippers?

Also in hotels in Scandinavian countries, breakfast is usually buffet style, and often includes "sursild" (pickled herring). At least, it was when I was there, many years ago.....

Athanor

Not to mention kedgeree that is possibly the best breakfast around and quite heavily dependent on its fish content, and some versions of eggs benedict which substitute the ham for smoked salmon.  Both are amazing ways to start the day!
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 02:27:57 am »

Rollmops and Vegemite, not required to be eaten together.

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 03:17:33 am »

Erm.... kippers?

Athanor

Not to mention kedgeree that is possibly the best breakfast around and quite heavily dependent on its fish content, and some versions of eggs benedict which substitute the ham for smoked salmon.  Both are amazing ways to start the day!

"Eat a live frog, first thing in the morning..." yeah - "amazing", I am sure.  But I am violently allergic to all forms of fish and seafood, and, since I am the Arbiter of Taste (hereditary title, don'cha know) I must insist.  Cheesy

Did anyone else here ever attend a Hunt Breakfast, in Williamsburg or anywhere else?  Now THAT's breakfast!  And Second Breakfast.  And Brunch.  And Elevenses....

Cheers!

Chas.
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 05:40:14 am »

Anyone want to fill the rest of us in on what your talking about? I've never heard of any of the mentioned substances, for breakfast or otherwise.

And yes, I'm sure I could goggle it but whats the point of a forum if not to talk about things?

Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 07:11:30 am »

Bovril is a concentrated beef extract, while Marmite is basically yeast extract; they have virtually nothing in common beyond colour, viscosity and being marketed in the same shaped bottles... Gentleman's Relish is, yes, anchovy paste.

Bovril sandwiches were my basic snack food for two or three years when I was 7-9; My mother's attempted substitution of Marmite just didn't cut it. I've eaten anchovy paste but it wasn't called Gentleman's Relish; that must be a specific brand name, I guess.

Go to Good Ol'Uncle Google for the full story.

Athanor.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:56:17 pm by Athanor » Logged
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 09:20:07 am »

Louisiana Hot Sauce, Present at every restaurant table in the South.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Tito Alba
Snr. Officer

Electrospagyrist, Ethnophysiatrist & Anarchodandy

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 09:54:17 am »

Kedgeree is fish and eggs mixed with rice and curry spices.  It does sound like dinner but once I convinced people to try it I had to start making it in huge batches to be boxed up and sent away for freezers around my neighbourhood.  I started with an old Victorian recipe and gradually evolved into my own that involves using different spices to boil the rice with, marinade the fish in and cook the onions and egg with.

Eggs benedict is an egg mounted on a muffin with ham, or as I mentioned, salmon for a classier variety and topped with hollandaise sauce.  Its available in a few cafes around here.

Writing this makes me want a decent breakfast and I know I'm not going to get one Sad
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 11:29:52 am »

I've only had Marmite of the three (Bovril here being the brand name of a type of liquid seasoning used for browning meat, I believe; I've never heard of Gentleman's Relish; it sounds like a pickled vegetable compote in a jar with a special moustache strainer, lol), but I would heartily endorse Marmite with breakfast. On toast. It's delicious.

Only a thin scraping across the buttered toast, though, mind; far too strong otherwise. Add a nice coddled egg, some lime marmalade, and some good strong tea with nice fresh cream, and we're set!

Wait - Marmite, egg and marmalade??
JR Murray
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 11:43:02 am »

I'm with Octavius, we Oztralains know Vegemite is the only real spread. And you can grease your gear axles with it. And waterproof your canvas safari tent.

Cheers!
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 11:49:27 am »

Eggs benedict is an egg mounted on a muffin with ham, or as I mentioned, salmon for a classier variety and topped with hollandaise sauce.  Its available in a few cafes around here.

Never seen it with salmon, but the ham and egg variety is common.

The only sauces you commonly see for breakfast around here are Ketchup and Tabasco sauce, which is a vinegar based hot pepper sauce thats pretty popular.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:52:39 am by Shadow Of The Tower » Logged
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 12:39:03 pm »

Mmmm, marmite and cheese on toast.
Not for breakfast though, my general guidelines for breakfast is if I wouldn't eat it for pudding I won't eat it for breakfast. So any combination of cereal/bread/fruit/chocolate/yogurt etc will do nicely. Elevenses though is fair game for all manner of savoury delights, marmite included.

~A~
DreamHazard
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 12:43:04 pm »

My usual breakfast is the incredible cheese and mustard on toast topped with a poached egg, times two.

The trick is to just crisp the very outside of the bread with the toaster, so it's barely brown if at all, then cover one side with ENGLISH mustard (this is important.), slice cheese on top and melt the cheese, while poaching/coddling two eggs (poaching is faster, so suits this dish better). Once it's all done pop the toast on a plate and a poached egg on each slice. It's absolutely perfect Cheesy

Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 01:46:13 pm »

Been a bit under the weather - touch of flu turned to a cold ~ you know the sort that gets into your bones. So whilst raiding the fridge for some warming comforting breakfast, I ended up with fried eggs (sunny side up of course) on chilli on baked beans on toast. Yay the 'leftovers' breakfast!

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 04:15:44 pm »

I'm intrigued by people spreading Bovril on toast. I've always considered Bovril to be a drink. You put a  large spoonful into a mug and pour on  boiling water to make a  super, beefy tasting drink. Marmite, however, is a spread and is wonderful on toast for brekkie (or with cheese on toast as a great savoury snack).

'Gentleman's Relish' is also a slang term for...well, good taste prevents me from disclosing what Gentlemen's Relish is slang for but I should image it's about as revolting on toast as achovy paste would be.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Kryss LaBryn
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

aka Lady Amelia Cottington

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 04:32:13 pm »

Wait - Marmite, egg and marmalade??

Well, not on the same piece of toast... Wink
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 06:08:36 pm »

'Gentleman's Relish' is also a slang term for...well, good taste prevents me from disclosing what Gentlemen's Relish is slang for but I should image it's about as revolting on toast as achovy paste would be.

*cough - I hadn't heard this before but having just finished the Flashman compendium I can see where you are coming from  Shocked

Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: