The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 04:30:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dividing a circle into equal parts  (Read 4972 times)
Maets
Immortal
United States United States

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« on: November 30, 2012, 09:17:07 pm »

Have you ever had to divide up a circle into equal parts?  Every once and a while a project presents itself that I need to equally and accurately divide a circle up into a number of equal parts.  While making the banjo I hit on a simple method that works!

I have a number of circular saw blades laying around.  I use them for various projects.  Turns out they are perfect for marking of divisions on something else.

Say I want to divide up this disk.

Lay a saw blade on top and start marking at what ever interval fits your needs.

A different blade and a different interval with each blade offering a lot of possibilities.

Remove the blade and you are ready to weld, paint, whatever.

Simple but effective.

jcbanner
Officer

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 10:49:21 pm »

Thats such a simple method that it must be cheating. No trig, no getting out protractors, no wrapping string around and diving that into equal parts trying to re-wrap the object.

I will have to remember this one
Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:08:51 am »

I have been cheating for years,
 my local craft shop sells plastic canvas disks with evenly spaced holes.
The saw blade technique is another layout tool I will rember.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:35:22 am »

Cheating is good, when it saves time and gives a good result.  Over the years I have tried a number of ways. This is clearly the easiest I have ever used.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:31:56 am »

Who cares how you do it, as long as the finished product looks good. Smiley

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 03:53:11 am »

I've seen machinists use a similar technique of indexing the head of a lathe by counting gear teeth.
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »

Anyone else with time saving techniques?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 05:35:59 pm »

There is a device for making saw blades on display at the Henry Ford Museum, and has a big metal disk full of holes for aligning the cutter that cuts the teeth in the saw blade. So your method of using saw blades to subdivide circles is more or less the same method that machinists use to make saw blades.

Of course, if the saw blade maker's angles are off, your project will be off too.
Ponyboy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 07:19:46 pm »

A few years back, I worked as a fabricator for a motorcycle shop. One technique that I used quite often to match up holes (for motor mounts, fender struts, seat pan brackets, etc.), was to take a sheet of A4 and rub my index finger across the floor to get it really dirty and then run said finger over the holes I was trying to match. It leaves the exact size of the hole as well as the spacing. beats pulling out the calipers and tape measures...

Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.
IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 12:10:30 am »

I've used that method myself many times - it's surprising accurate; basic like brass rubbing but with engines and oily fingers.

The sawblade idea is genius, although of course it does rather depend on the item being bigger than the blade, although for smaller pieces I suppose you could lay it on top of the blade and use a straight edge from one side to the other...

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 03:35:49 pm »

The sawblade idea is genius, although of course it does rather depend on the item being bigger than the blade, although for smaller pieces I suppose you could lay it on top of the blade and use a straight edge from one side to the other...

That works and I have also used some small gears for laying out some smaller pieces. 
cobwebscavern
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 07:50:35 am »

..am aware that most people working metal will have access to circular saw blades but for anyone without then something a lot of us will have access to is an old clock face.....perhaps not as many useable divisions as a saw blade but still might cut it (stop groaning at the back) for some Smiley

...we are alike as Gladys Knight and Doris Day.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 09:41:09 pm »

Available at most dollar stores.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: